[Archive] Forza Horizon 5 Series 30: Lunar New Year

• Thread starter Famine
  • 94 comments
IMG_0117.gif

So let me get this straight, this update adds several Hyundai vehicles, including the Ioniq 6, but not the Ioniq 5N.

This makes sense… how?

This is going to be an incredible update! This, and FM23's next update, are going to be such a wonderful birthday present for me. I couldn't have asked for anything else better (aside from Tekken 8, which I'm going to get too, so make that three incredible birthday presents. ;))

All these Chinese cars and no Polestar. It's strange that Geleey is so weird with its licensing.

Also, it's kind of weird to see them going in on Chinese cars in general. They aren't very popular in the US, nor will likely ever be popular. I was always under the impression that Forza's biggest fan base was American too, but maybe I'm wrong.

All these Chinese cars and no Polestar. It's strange that Geleey is so weird with its licensing.

Also, it's kind of weird to see them going in on Chinese cars in general. They aren't very popular in the US, nor will likely ever be popular. I was always under the impression that Forza's biggest fan base was American too, but maybe I'm wrong.
So the cars added can only be relevant to the USA? I don't see the problem with Chinese cars, even if they aren't popular elsewhere.

Last edited:
So the cars added can only be relevant to the USA? I don't see the problem with Chinese cars, even if they aren't popular elsewhere.
I didn't say that. I said I believe Forza's biggest market share is the US and people her don't really care about Chinese cars. We like lots of cars that aren't available here though.

Are Chinese car even popular anywhere out side of China? They might be (although they shouldn't be) so I don't know, but I can't say I've seen too many car enthusiast get hype for anything out of China. It's mostly just jokes about how they're poorly made, have stupid names, and blatantly rip off designs.

It seems like if T10 is going to go through the effort of get licensing and modeling vehicles they'd at least target stuff that appeals to people who are into cars on some level.

This.
Another thing to consider - and this is a possible reason why it was decided that FH5 be set in Mexico to begin with, besides its geographic diversity - is that PG (or Microsoft) may be trying to expand its player base to new markets, with Mexico appealing to Central & South Americans for example. It is possible that PG/MS is trying a similar thing with Chinese cars, perhaps even a possible Chinese location for a future Forza Horizon (or DLC?), though the last bit hasn't obviously been confirmed yet. With that in mind...
I didn't say that. I said I believe Forza's biggest market share is the US and people her don't really care about Chinese cars. We like lots of cars that aren't available here though.

Are Chinese car even popular anywhere out side of China? They might be (although they shouldn't be) so I don't know, but I can't say I've seen too many car enthusiast get hype for anything out of China. It's mostly just jokes about how they're poorly made, have stupid names, and blatantly rip off designs.

It seems like if T10 is going to go through the effort of get licensing and modeling vehicles they'd at least target stuff that appeals to people who are into cars on some level.
...I think you're missing the point. They're not meant to appeal to Americans - though they can absolutely still enjoy them - they're meant to appeal to (future?) Chinese players just as much as the Tsuru is meant to appeal to Mexicans, even if, to be fair, some of the aforementioned's popularity has been bumped up a bit by non-Americans seeing it as an opportunity to bring more "regular" cars to the game (before it was added).
In any case, whether they're popular outside of China or not is irrelevant. If anything, this can be a cool opportunity to learn about and possibly get some cars that hasn't been featured in video games before - and that's if you've heard of them before in the first place. I mean, just to bring an example, I didn't know the MG7 was a thing before this upcoming update...

A dull and boring season with chinese and electric cars… 😩😞 A Hong Qi L 5 is missing ! With all the microphones on the roof ! 😂
I love changing gears manually and the roaring of a V8 instead of listening heavy “bees and flies”.
Maybe I’m old fashioned, but “real engine” cars really rock.
I can’t wait for russian (🤮) Ladas in FH5 ! 🤣

What about a Maserati MC20 ?

The Monster Truck rivals is way harder than you expect: I was driving using bonnet cam and misjudged how insanely wide the truck is, so I needed a sighter lap just to be able to drive a clean lap :D

Also, that thing snap oversteers like mad.

Other than that, DJS's Utopia Gardens Eventlab is looking stunning. He seems to have found detailed textures on all objects making it look far less spartan than many tracks do when using lots of blocks of concrete. And yet frame rates are still fine.

I forgot to add the "hidden" thing:

1706833033839.png

Although to be fair the location can be tricksy to find.

The Monster Truck rivals is way harder than you expect: I was driving using bonnet cam and misjudged how insanely wide the truck is, so I needed a sighter lap just to be able to drive a clean lap :D

Also, that thing snap oversteers like mad.

Other than that, DJS's Utopia Gardens Eventlab is looking stunning. He seems to have found detailed textures on all objects making it look far less spartan than many tracks do when using lots of blocks of concrete. And yet frame rates are still fine.
DJS' content is always really good I find. I struggle on his technical stunt tracks, but that's lack of talent on my end of the controller 😂😂😂.

I finished of the current season this morning bar the daily challenges. Nothing to difficult, sailed through everything apart from the HW Monster Truck Rivals event.

Oh dear God that thing is a handful to drive, it handles completely differently to it's Showcase Event. It might be because this time you're driving it on dirt but to me it felt so disconnected from the surface it was on. It took me 7 laps before I could beat a rival and post a clean lap in tandem.

And whilst I'm on the topic of driving large vehicle in FH5 that we don't normally get the chance to, how about the following?

In the Rally Expansion how good would it be to race the quarry Haul Trucks around the quarry?

Speaking of poor QA, the quality this season in Japanese is abysmal.
Some or most of the chapter messages are missing in Weekly Challenges for all weeks, and there is no way to know what to do in that chapter based solely on the information available in-game.

There have been many problems with incorrect translations in Weekly Challenges and Treasure Hunts in the past, but this is the first time that the text is missing in the first place.

While they are willing to consider minorities, say disabled or LGBTQ (which is of course commendable and wonderful), it seems to me that they have totally neglected the point of proper localization into multiple languages.

When playing The Crew or Need For Speed, I have never had to turn to outside communities like here or reddit because the in-game text in my native language was useless.
But in Forza, this happens all the time.

Last edited:
Do you mind taking some screenshots?

Forza Horizon 5-2024_02_04-22-59-02.png

Ah, now let's paste the worst caption.
The caption for this chapter only says "with a 50/50 weight distribution of, do" (の50/50の重量配分で、 する。). I have no idea what to do.
I ended up having to read the original English text on the forum to accomplish this chapter.
And similar missing captions can be found in other seasons.

View attachment 1326078

Ah, now let's paste the worst caption.
The caption for this chapter only says "with a 50/50 weight distribution of, do" (の50/50の重量配分で、 する。). I have no idea what to do.
I ended up having to read the original English text on the forum to accomplish this chapter.
And similar missing captions can be found in other seasons.
Well that sounds awful. The English titles of the challenges are almost always puns. Do they make sense in Japanese? Or do they just retitle them?

Well that sounds awful. The English titles of the challenges are almost always puns. Do they make sense in Japanese? Or do they just retitle them?
Playlist event and challenge names in Japanese are basically literal translations. However, in many cases, even from such literal translations of titles, we can understand that the original text was probably a pun.

Not enjoying this week's playlist.

I don't know if I'm just having an off day or what, but turns out I LOATHE the Lexus LFA. Went all the way down the main highway, only ever hitting 199 mph instead of the required 200. Then when I finally get that I try to do a road circuit for the next requirement only to have every A.I. but the two I managed to block just walk off and leave me in their dust. As much as I struggled, I could only make it to 6th place by the start of the third lap, by which point the front runners were so far ahead they might as well have been halfway around the circuit from me. I rage quit the race, bitterly opened the menu, turned the difficulty down a couple notches in defeat, restarted the race, and got walked away from again; however, I was able to catch up with my usual ease that time.

As for The Trial, first race was a breeze in my SC300 until the 80% mark where I overshot a turn and lost five positions but my team won on points. The second race I got third place but we lost on points. Third race I started in last place, made it up to fourth by the halfway point...then began the comedy of errors. Between the 40% and 75% sections, every single player but the front runner missed a checkpoint, one after another. We went from 2 to 1 on points to one guy in first and the rest of us bringing up the rear with every single A.I. in front of us. Needless to say, we lost the whole thing. My first loss in The Trial...oh, the shame.

Also, while I usually enjoy don joewon song's stuff, I hated his eventlab this week. Every jump smacked me straight into a rock or rubble or the side of the track or that one hole, while the typically floaty handling of the offroader I chose was most certainly NOT suited to such a narrow track or such maneuvers as those made necessary by all the debris. Don't get me wrong, the track looked great, it was just a massive, massive pain to drive while staying within the car limitations.

I LOATHE the Lexus LFA
Did you run it stock? I have a S1 870 build that did the job easily. I agree that the Dystopia Gardens track is a bit clever for its own good (but it probably is most visually impressive eventlab creation I've seen so far), so I went with the smallest off-roader I have, the Ford Brocky.

Last edited:
Not enjoying this week's playlist.

I don't know if I'm just having an off day or what, but turns out I LOATHE the Lexus LFA. Went all the way down the main highway, only ever hitting 199 mph instead of the required 200. Then when I finally get that I try to do a road circuit for the next requirement only to have every A.I. but the two I managed to block just walk off and leave me in their dust. As much as I struggled, I could only make it to 6th place by the start of the third lap, by which point the front runners were so far ahead they might as well have been halfway around the circuit from me. I rage quit the race, bitterly opened the menu, turned the difficulty down a couple notches in defeat, restarted the race, and got walked away from again; however, I was able to catch up with my usual ease that time.

As for The Trial, first race was a breeze in my SC300 until the 80% mark where I overshot a turn and lost five positions but my team won on points. The second race I got third place but we lost on points. Third race I started in last place, made it up to fourth by the halfway point...then began the comedy of errors. Between the 40% and 75% sections, every single player but the front runner missed a checkpoint, one after another. We went from 2 to 1 on points to one guy in first and the rest of us bringing up the rear with every single A.I. in front of us. Needless to say, we lost the whole thing. My first loss in The Trial...oh, the shame.

Also, while I usually enjoy don joewon song's stuff, I hated his eventlab this week. Every jump smacked me straight into a rock or rubble or the side of the track or that one hole, while the typically floaty handling of the offroader I chose was most certainly NOT suited to such a narrow track or such maneuvers as those made necessary by all the debris. Don't get me wrong, the track looked great, it was just a massive, massive pain to drive while staying within the car limitations.
I ran a stock LFA for all 4 weekly Forzathon events and completed them all easily. For the 200 mph you need to be on the highway travelling west and as the highway drops down before the main festival exit you'll easily go past 200 mph.

The Trial was a tricky one this week. We lost the first race but sneaked wins in races 2 & 3 thankfully.

DJS's Utopia Gardens this week is a tricky one, very narrow in places and extremely debris ridden. I just took my time and leisurely pottered around it spreading love in my Big Pink Mini.....

1000007694.png

On the subject of Eventlab this week, I really enjoyed the race track. The creator did a fantastic job building the track infrastructure. I'll be racing this a few times this week.

Back