Are you using any driving aids?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patrik
  • 63 comments
  • 4,401 views

What aid(s) are you using?

  • All of them

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Active steering

    Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ASM

    Votes: 4 2.2%
  • TCS

    Votes: 5 2.7%
  • ABS

    Votes: 115 63.2%
  • Driving line

    Votes: 11 6.0%
  • None

    Votes: 33 18.1%
  • Other combination

    Votes: 11 6.0%

  • Total voters
    182
use all aids if they give me an improved lap time.
 
When racing online, ABS is usually on. When driving by myself, the setup depends on the car's real-life properties (right/left hand drive, gearbox pattern / method of function, abs).
 
I always use ABS but i do have the TCS on- but set to 3 or 4 in rear wheel drives
 
ABS I always leave on, unless I'm fooling around. TC I sometimes use, depends on the track, car, and whether it lets me get faster lap times or not.
 
It depends on the car. A lot of cars I don't use any apart from ABS. There are some cars that I will use ASM with or without TCS.
 
When i was using the control pad, only ever used ABS1. Since i bought my DF GT a couple of weeks ago, i've been occasionally using active steering too with some of the more lairy cars just until i get used to controlling potentional spins.

Same here for me
 
ABS and i also like to use the driving line!
 
It surprises me that not many people use the driving line. That thing is so cool for a beginner. It destroys the learning curve. Love it. love it.
 
ABS: from 1 to 3 depends on what car
TCS: from 0 to 4 depends on what car
Driving Line: only for Fuji track, don't want to break too late and crash someone during online race.
 
I use ABS=1 only, then I vote "no aids".

You must to add ABS=1 and standart physics to the poll (to use standart physics is to use a percent of all aids).
 
how come no one is using asm?? i depend on it. how is it possiable to not use tcs & asm and not just spin out of control all the time- are you lot using a wheel.
 
ABS and sometimes TCS, but usually just ABS.
 
how come no one is using asm?? i depend on it. how is it possiable to not use tcs & asm and not just spin out of control all the time- are you lot using a wheel.

Gear ratio's can change the amount of wheelspin.
I drive the S2000 at HSR and theres nothing but ABS. A usual podium or a high position. It doesnt spin it drifts lol
 
Gear ratio's can change the amount of wheelspin.
I drive the S2000 at HSR and theres nothing but ABS. A usual podium or a high position. It doesnt spin it drifts lol

Another easy trick is to short shift, so you accelerate at much lower RPMs than usual. This reduces torque quite a bit, and can often make the difference between spinning the tires and not.
 
Regarding ABS:

I have been driving with ABS=1 since I started playing GT5P (about 2 months). I assumed that it would just give me that little insurance against locking up the tires.

Yesterday I was reading the GT4 tuning guide and it said that ABS always hurts braking performance, so I tried turning it off (700PP Suzuka). I was stunned. After I got the bias dialed in I found my braking distances were dramatically reduced. I would hit the brakes at the "normal" spot and I would almost come to a complete stop before I even got to my turn-in point.

And then I also found that suddenly I had dramatic lift-off oversteer. No brakes applied, just lifting off the throttle. This had never been a problem before. The ABS should have no effect on lift-off oversteer, but somehow it does (at least with my car/setup). At first I didn't believe it, so I turned the ABS back to 1 and viola, no more lift-off oversteer. I even checked to make sure I hadn't turned on ASM by accident. So I had to dial in some rear toe to reduce the lift-off oversteer. I still don't have it licked completely, but it's better.

The moral of this story is: ABS=1 does more than you think it does.
 
Regarding ABS:

I have been driving with ABS=1 since I started playing GT5P (about 2 months). I assumed that it would just give me that little insurance against locking up the tires.

Yesterday I was reading the GT4 tuning guide and it said that ABS always hurts braking performance, so I tried turning it off (700PP Suzuka). I was stunned. After I got the bias dialed in I found my braking distances were dramatically reduced. I would hit the brakes at the "normal" spot and I would almost come to a complete stop before I even got to my turn-in point.

And then I also found that suddenly I had dramatic lift-off oversteer. No brakes applied, just lifting off the throttle. This had never been a problem before. The ABS should have no effect on lift-off oversteer, but somehow it does (at least with my car/setup). At first I didn't believe it, so I turned the ABS back to 1 and viola, no more lift-off oversteer. I even checked to make sure I hadn't turned on ASM by accident. So I had to dial in some rear toe to reduce the lift-off oversteer. I still don't have it licked completely, but it's better.

The moral of this story is: ABS=1 does more than you think it does.

Very interesting ,I started out no-aids then a mate said try abs 5-6 and the car behaved much better under heavy brake but I will go and try 0 abs after your comments .I believe I drive a lot better now than then.

I DIDvote abs
 
Abs - 1
 
abs and that's it... almost everyone else does too... So when in Rome...
 
Nothing at all. I would like to set cars up to a real life setting, but I´m simply too lazy, so I run without any aids at all. It keeps things simple and I tend to be faster if I have all the control over the cars behaviour.
 
After running a few days without ABS I will never use it again. Properly set up brake bias is the way to go.

I am slowly weening myself from TCS. I still use it for cars that blow away the tires at half throttle.
 
I'll revive this thread post-update to make some comments on the "aids" in the new physics.

I have revised my previous statement about never using ABS again. At some tracks with some cars I find that the car snaps around under braking so badly that I turned ABS on out of desperation. As before, I find that ABS increases stopping distance, but seemingly not as much as before. And it gives almost magical stability under braking, so in these cases I will use ABS.

Regarding TCS: TCS is no "aid" at all. Even with a setting of 1 it chops so much power that the car feels dead off the corners. In real life traction control is so beneficial that it's banned from most racing series. But in this case I'm happy with the unrealistic game version of TCS. It would suck if you could take the most powerful car on the slickest tires and just floor it off the corner (which is basically what you can do with modern traction control).
 
Back