Arrakis Speed Shop//UPDATED 4/4/16// NSX-R 500pp SH-SS/

• Thread starter feydrautha
  • 623 comments
Still getting the hang of the forum's formatting haha.

Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.) '00
View attachment 166002
You really need the Fujiwara Zone for this one. A bit feisty.

520pp
350hp
752kg

Sport Soft Tires
I tested this car out, and I liked it a lot! Reviewing your post, that sounds strangely accidental. Allow me to explain: For some reason I thought you specified anywhere from SS to RS tires, so I started with RS, and for online racing I detuned the motor slightly to 500pp, 307hp. And for the first time (in an embarassingly long time anyhow), I won something.

In that specification, it just works. The handling is crisp and responsive, but never darty. The body never wallows but will take a mid-corner kerb hop with aplomb. If you're driving with intent to go fast, the rear end only ever steps out maybe a few inches, and always handles itself. The gearing is perhaps on the short side for longer straightaways, but this isn't a longer straightaway kind of car. The gearing keeps it in the powerband, and lets you short shift if needed. And I always appreciate a tall first gear, one I can actually use to accelerate out of a corner, not just bounce off the rev limit as I spin through the apex (why yes, I am out of practice). It feels like a very well-sorted, and much larger than it actually is, racing car. The car feels tailor-made for the application, and I absolutely love it. If I had one complaint, it would be the corner-entry understeer. But that's an easy fix on my part: a bit of rear brake bias does the trick, if not one wheel placed on some kerbing.

Then, I took it to Tsukuba in your original specification, full power and sports soft tires. Naturally, in this specification it is supposed to be a handful. It is fun, and controllable, to try to drive it cleanly: Half the time a corner is taken with no drama, the other half it's left obscured by tire smoke. Even though either maneuver ends up going perfectly, what this car lacks is obedience: I never have any clue whether or not it will slide.

The biggest problem by a country mile, is the springs. They are orders of magnitude too stiff for slippery SS tires. Even on Tsukuba's smooth pavement it hops around, making chirping noises, never really settling into a turn. The tires can't generate the forces required to preload the suspension. It understeers into a turn due to the lack of brake dive, steps out at will due to the lack of body roll, and can't put down much power due to the lack of acceleration squat. It's unusual that you can tune such fundamental goodness into a car, but still ruin it with spring settings.

I found this car very interesting. In apparently the wrong specification, it was spectacular. This game is now, to me, the Real AE86 Simulator. I want to start a Spec Shigeno racing series just for this car. But, with the correct tires equipped, it was hobbled by springs that sent it flying at the merest hint of a bump.

This mixing of prodigious strengths, with hilariously unnecessary weaknesses, doesn't feel much like racing calibration at all. I don't think this is a purely technical exercise any more, there is now art in its science. The same way a classic Saab may or may not grenade its engine, but will definitely steal your heart, this car has won me over.

Whatever, I'm still gonna soften the springs.

Still getting the hang of the forum's formatting haha.

I tested this car out, and I liked it a lot! Reviewing your post, that sounds strangely accidental. Allow me to explain: For some reason I thought you specified anywhere from SS to RS tires, so I started with RS, and for online racing I detuned the motor slightly to 500pp, 307hp. And for the first time (in an embarassingly long time anyhow), I won something.

In that specification, it just works. The handling is crisp and responsive, but never darty. The body never wallows but will take a mid-corner kerb hop with aplomb. If you're driving with intent to go fast, the rear end only ever steps out maybe a few inches, and always handles itself. The gearing is perhaps on the short side for longer straightaways, but this isn't a longer straightaway kind of car. The gearing keeps it in the powerband, and lets you short shift if needed. And I always appreciate a tall first gear, one I can actually use to accelerate out of a corner, not just bounce off the rev limit as I spin through the apex (why yes, I am out of practice). It feels like a very well-sorted, and much larger than it actually is, racing car. The car feels tailor-made for the application, and I absolutely love it. If I had one complaint, it would be the corner-entry understeer. But that's an easy fix on my part: a bit of rear brake bias does the trick, if not one wheel placed on some kerbing.

Then, I took it to Tsukuba in your original specification, full power and sports soft tires. Naturally, in this specification it is supposed to be a handful. It is fun, and controllable, to try to drive it cleanly: Half the time a corner is taken with no drama, the other half it's left obscured by tire smoke. Even though either maneuver ends up going perfectly, what this car lacks is obedience: I never have any clue whether or not it will slide.

The biggest problem by a country mile, is the springs. They are orders of magnitude too stiff for slippery SS tires. Even on Tsukuba's smooth pavement it hops around, making chirping noises, never really settling into a turn. The tires can't generate the forces required to preload the suspension. It understeers into a turn due to the lack of brake dive, steps out at will due to the lack of body roll, and can't put down much power due to the lack of acceleration squat. It's unusual that you can tune such fundamental goodness into a car, but still ruin it with spring settings.

I found this car very interesting. In apparently the wrong specification, it was spectacular. This game is now, to me, the Real AE86 Simulator. I want to start a Spec Shigeno racing series just for this car. But, with the correct tires equipped, it was hobbled by springs that sent it flying at the merest hint of a bump.

This mixing of prodigious strengths, with hilariously unnecessary weaknesses, doesn't feel much like racing calibration at all. I don't think this is a purely technical exercise any more, there is now art in its science. The same way a classic Saab may or may not grenade its engine, but will definitely steal your heart, this car has won me over.

Whatever, I'm still gonna soften the springs.

Please keep in mind that none of these cars have been updated for the new physics post- 1.09!

Please keep in mind that none of these cars have been updated for the new physics post- 1.09!
What were the fundamental differences with the physics update? I hear people saying 'the camber works now,' which doesn't really mean much of anything to me. Is it related to all these 0 degree camber setups I'm seeing? All I noticed with update was more effective weight transfer in mid engine cars. I hadn't played GT in many months...

Also, does changing the wheel size actually do anything?

Camber only reduced grip before. Now it actually works like it should. The overall stiffness of the suspension setup is affected significantly by the wheel size.

View attachment 145748 Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus '00

Ahh yes, the little FWD Fiat from hell! I love this car; I love the styling, I love the powerplant, I love that it's Italian, I love that it's driven by the wrong wheels, I love that it's forbidden in the States, etc...what a brilliant car! Took a little while to tame the understeer on this one, but I think I got it. (Mostly.)

511pp
404hp
1072kg

Sport Soft Tires

Rims std

No driving aids except ABS 1

Ride height
88 85

Springs
8.17 4.56

Dampers
C 2 4
E 4 1

ARB
3 4

Camber
0.0 0.0

Toe
0.02 -0.02

Racing Brakes
2 3

Transmission

Set final to 4.500
Set top speed to 112mph
Set top gear to 1.104
Set final to 3.089
Set gears

1:3.228
2:2.355
3:1.851
4:1.517
5:1.277
6:1.104

Final 3.089

LSD

Triple plate clutch

Power
Stage 3 tuning
Sports comp
Racing exhaust
Isometric manifold
Sports cats
Intake tuning
High rpm turbo
Nitrous- yes 50%

Weight
Stage 3 reduction
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction
Rigidity up

View attachment 145749

The car understeers too much for my driving style (or maybe because the 1.09 patch ruined the set-up) . For the Final gear i set on 2,625 for reach the speed of 281km/h (Nurburgring Nordschleife) , but is still a nice car XD

The car understeers too much for my driving style (or maybe because the 1.09 patch ruined the set-up) . For the Final gear i set on 2,625 for reach the speed of 281km/h (Nurburgring Nordschleife) , but is still a nice car XD

I think that, aside from camber, this car could probably use some front ballast to help it turn in.

This is a little bit OT, but I need to say something. I saw the last little bit Initial D Final Stage last night. I know that I poke fun at the show sometimes, but that's only because it's a little bit like a friend whom I have known for the past 15 years. As such, it was very hard to watch Takumi and the Hachi-Roku drive off into the sunset forever.

View attachment 146541 Honda PRELUDE Type S '96

One of the best cars out there for those of you who are into lewd conduct. I'm pretty sure Tsuchiya once said these were good for taking someone out on a date...

510pp
406pp
1072kg

Sport Soft Tires

Rims std

Ride height
83 80

Springs
7.54 5.67

Dampers
C 2 4
E 4 1

ARB
3 4

Camber
0.0 0.0

Toe
0.02 -0.02

Racing Brakes
2 3

Transmission

Set final to 5.000
Set top speed to 112 mph
Set top gear to 1.197
Set final to 3.375
Set gears

1:3.742
2:2.642
3:2.044
4:1.662
5:1.391
6:1.197

Final 3.375

Transmission for Nurburgring

Set final to 5.000
Set top speed to 112mph
Set top gear to 1.073
Set final to 3.050
Set gears

1:3.742
2:2.642
3:2.051
4:1.642
5:1.321
6:1.073

Final 3.050

LSD

Triple plate clutch

Power
Stage 3 tuning
Sports comp
Racing exhaust
Isometric manifold
Sports cats
Intake tuning
High rpm turbo
Nitrous- yes 40%

Weight
Stage 3 reduction
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction
Rigidity up

View attachment 146542

Good car , i re-tuned this car for 500PP races adding 126kg of ballast @ position 50

Little understeer but it can be well managed

UPDATE : Limiter at 97% - Ballast of 77kg @ position -50 - No nitrous

Now it has a better handling

Last edited:
View attachment 120352 Honda ACCORD Coupe '88

Way faster and better to drive than it should be. One of my friends had one of these with 350,000 miles on it that had only ever had the clutch and belts replaced. I saw another one at a car meet recently that had been ratted up nicely. It had graffiti and chalk all over it and it smoked a little, but it sounded pretty good and the stance was terrific. Accords are not really my thing typically, but this one had so much character that it was hard not to like. Wish I had had a decent camera with me.....

501pp
360hp
1022kg

Sport Soft Tires
Rims +1

Ride height
87 85

Springs
7.53 4.55

Dampers
C 2 4
E 4 1

ARB
3 4

Camber
0.0 0.0

Toe
0.02 -0.02

Racing Brakes
2 3

Transmission
Set final to 5.000
Set top speed to 112
Set top gear to 0.988
Set final to 3.599
Set gears

1:2.680
2:1.996
3:1.545
4:1.224
5:0.988

Final 3.599

LSD

Triple plate clutch

Power
Stage 3 tuning
Sports comp
Racing exhaust
Isometric manifold
Sports cats
Intake tuning
High rpm turbo
Nitrous- yes 50%

Weight
Stage 3 reduction
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction
Rigidity up

View attachment 120353

Good enough to love it :3

Hey man! I've missed ya from GTP! (Bromance perhaps, lol gross). I've taken an absence too, not so much because of the game, but because of life. I am struggling to launch the new tune directory at the moment but I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. I hope not too many people have stopped using it! If nobody uses it anymore I guess there's no point, I'm really not sure yet. I guess I need to incorporate some google analytics and see just how many visit still. Anyway, I hope you start to tune again. The new directory isn't the same without some Arrakis tunes man! Cheers!

XS
Hey man! I've missed ya from GTP! (Bromance perhaps, lol gross). I've taken an absence too, not so much because of the game, but because of life. I am struggling to launch the new tune directory at the moment but I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. I hope not too many people have stopped using it! If nobody uses it anymore I guess there's no point, I'm really not sure yet. I guess I need to incorporate some google analytics and see just how many visit still. Anyway, I hope you start to tune again. The new directory isn't the same without some Arrakis tunes man! Cheers!

Just a little bit longer! I got sucked back into Skyrim now that I have a PC that can run it properly with all the mods installed. I got up to lv65 in just under 3 weeks while also keeping my job! I was using my old PSU and it just conked out though, so the honeymoon is officially over. TBH I tried to play gt6 at a buddy's house a few weeks ago, and the camber thing still has me pretty frustrated, particularly finding the right balance front to rear.

Oh yeah, with 28k miles, I blew out the clutch on the 'Stang last week doing a nasty, lurid and completely unnecessary burnout. Putting the new one in has been an odyssey.

Good to hear from you BTW! How's the new gig?

Just a little bit longer! I got sucked back into Skyrim now that I have a PC that can run it properly with all the mods installed. I got up to lv65 in just under 3 weeks while also keeping my job! I was using my old PSU and it just conked out though, so the honeymoon is officially over. TBH I tried to play gt6 at a buddy's house a few weeks ago, and the camber thing still has me pretty frustrated, particularly finding the right balance front to rear.

Oh yeah, with 28k miles, I blew out the clutch on the 'Stang last week doing a nasty, lurid and completely unnecessary burnout. Putting the new one in has been an odyssey.

Good to hear from you BTW! How's the new gig?
Lol, I have avoided Skyrim for that reason!
Honestly, and keep in mind I'm not a true tuner like you guys, but I still think camber is broken. All the tunes I test are always faster on 0/0 camber! I admit that sometimes they don't feel as good, but they're always faster. All my own setups still run 0/0. The Lotus 97T for example went around the 'Ring long course a whopping 14 seconds faster when I removed the default camber. Anyway, I do hope you get back into it, but I don't blame you. I play maybe an hour or two a week, and that's just to test the Difficult Car tunes.

Hey, that's the best, and most fun, way to fry a clutch lol. Better than doing something absolutely retarded like (in my case) blowing a Honda Civic ricer away in a drag race, despite the fact that they would have lost no matter how terrible the launch was...... *cough* .......
I have no doubt though that it's a big job, ack!

The new gig is friggin tough man. Today was nasty and I hope the rest of the week goes alright. The issue is I have to build these massive quotes for servers and server-related software, at 100% accuracy. I thought I was detail oriented but these guys weren't joking around during the interview! I mean, it's unbelievable. I am still memorizing a seemingly countless number of servers, supercomputers, and software configurations, plus their associated service lives and sub-licenses. At this point I'm expected to build these quotes up to a million dollars without a single error anywhere on them and I haven't been doing that. I already got two quotes rejected by Google and Juniper today, so I'm kinda worried my managers are getting frustrated. Anyway, not to rant lol.

PS, she does sound amazing man! Looks good at night too (as expected of a black Mustang).

Man, that sounds rough. Professionals do not play around. I just had an inhouse interview for a possible promotion that was really tough. Most people don't get it on the first try, so I'm not feeling too much pressure.

Re the clutch. I got a faulty throwout bearing the first time around that went within 50 miles. Had to have the whole thing done twice.

I got really, really burned out on GT. It also took me a while to realize that camber was still a dead end, so I was banging my head against the wall for a bit too. (Thanks XS)
I know that feeling mate. I haven't opened my GT garage in over a month.
Hearing the owner of a new Ford Mustang Boss 302 say that the one in the game drives nothing like the real world version, had me doing a very large re-evaluation. Also the camber & ride height problems just leave me cold.
I also strongly suspect 1bhp does not equal 1bhp if it's in a Nissan.

I know that feeling mate. I haven't opened my GT garage in over a month.
Hearing the owner of a new Ford Mustang Boss 302 say that the one in the game drives nothing like the real world version, had me doing a very large re-evaluation. Also the camber & ride height problems just leave me cold.
I also strongly suspect 1bhp does not equal 1bhp if it's in a Nissan.

I don't know about all of that. I still love GT, I just needed a vacation. You're probably right about Nissan, though.

Latest Posts

Back