Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
I see the laser scanner was upgraded to a more serious model. We don't need more parking lots in AC though. Too many horror stories about players getting lost in the paddocks of Nordschleife Tourist. :nervous:

Not sure how it is on console but on the PC if you put AI on the tourist layout they try to drive through the fence to get on track. It's pretty hilarious to watch. :lol:

Not sure how it is on console but on the PC if you put AI on the tourist layout they try to drive through the fence to get on track. It's pretty hilarious to watch. :lol:

I don't think the console version allows AI drivers on Nordschleife Tourist. Practice and hotlap only configuration and these two modes are AI-free.

The first time I saw that I laughed my buttocks off.

The new 55 AI Drivers mod for the Nordschleife Tourist actually works! Plus, the mod creator moved the barricades & cones around so some AI cars will drive straight past the parking lot to begin a lap #2 while others will enter the parking lot, go back to their respective parking space and then take off again. So, it's possible to use the tourist layout with a 55 car field now.

For those who still are in doubt to get Assetto Corsa (PC version). This until this weekend offer is probably encouraging you to go for it:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/assetto-corsa And if you are new to them you get another 10% rebate. Makes it around €10 for one of the best Real Race sims.

PS: I have no experience with Humble bundle I just saw it via a Tweet coming in.

For those who still are in doubt to get Assetto Corsa (PC version). This until this weekend offer is probably encouraging you to go for it:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/assetto-corsa And if you are new to them you get another 10% rebate. Makes it around €10 for one of the best Real Race sims.

PS: I have no experience with Humble bundle I just saw it via a Tweet coming in.
If you have a PC that can run it, but you haven't dropped the hammer on a purchase yet....how can you pass that up? I think the $20 deals are good. This is ridiculous!

Yep. AC is the only sim I play now. It's great in VR and I've now got around 150 separate tracks to race on. It's keeping me extremely busy..!
Sweet. I won't have VR for quite some time due to my laptop not being powerful enough to run the headsets properly, so I am very jealous! :D The best games for VR must be car driving/racing or airplane/jet flying, no? It's something that you're seated in and stationary in that regard. You just need movement of your head arm and legs, the butt and chest pretty much don't move. It must be so 🤬 awesome to climb into your car in Assetto Corsa and feel like, 'Whoa...I really AM in a car!" 👍 So cool...

Sweet. I won't have VR for quite some time due to my laptop not being powerful enough to run the headsets properly, so I am very jealous! :D The best games for VR must be car driving/racing or airplane/jet flying, no? It's something that you're seated in and stationary in that regard. You just need movement of your head arm and legs, the butt and chest pretty much don't move. It must be so 🤬 awesome to climb into your car in Assetto Corsa and feel like, 'Whoa...I really AM in a car!" 👍 So cool...
That's exactly what it's like. VR fools you into thinking you are in a real car on a real track, racing against real opponents. The sense of presence is incredible, even with the current limitations regarding FoV and pixel density - everything occupies proper 3D space and has scale and solidity that you just don't get in 2D. The next-gen of headsets like the Pimax with 200 degrees FoV and higher pixel density will be even more incredible, but even now it's pretty mind-blowing. And like you say, VR is an absolutely perfect fit for cockpit racing.

The best games for VR must be car driving/racing or airplane/jet flying, no? It's something that you're seated in and stationary in that regard. You just need movement of your head arm and legs, the butt and chest pretty much don't move.

Yes, and no. Both are a perfect match for VR but so far I've probably had the most fun with shooters. Of the 3 I've tried you still pretty much stand in one place but you are by no means stationary because you're twisting and dodging and grabbing and shooting in all directions. After 30 minutes of Robo Recall I was a sweaty mess and felt like I'd just done a half day of pilates. :D Just tried my first flying game last night, Elite Dangerous, and it is very cool too.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, driving games are awesome in VR and feel super natural.

That's exactly what it's like. VR fools you into thinking you are in a real car on a real track, racing against real opponents. The sense of presence is incredible, even with the current limitations regarding FoV and pixel density - everything occupies proper 3D space and has scale and solidity that you just don't get in 2D. The next-gen of headsets like the Pimax with 200 degrees FoV and higher pixel density will be even more incredible, but even now it's pretty mind-blowing. And like you say, VR is an absolutely perfect fit for cockpit racing.

It's pretty wild how convincingly and consistently it tricks your brain. Whenever I take my hand off the wheel to scratch an itch or grab my beer my brain still freaks out for a second because it sees my hand still firmly on the wheel. And when you go over a big crest and feel butterflies in your stomach, I don't think that will ever get old.

Last edited:
It's pretty wild how convincingly and consistently it tricks your brain. Whenever I take my hand off the wheel to scratch an itch or grab my beer my brain still freaks out for a second because it sees my hand still firmly on the wheel. And when you go over a big crest and feel butterflies in your stomach, I don't think that will ever get old.

Very true - it took me a little while to stop bracing for impact during high-speed crashes. There was genuine terror in the first few sessions.

Yes, and no. Both are a perfect match for VR but so far I've probably had the most fun with shooters. Of the 3 I've tried you still pretty much stand in one place but you are by no means stationary because you're twisting and dodging and grabbing and shooting in all directions. After 30 minutes of Robo Recall I was a sweaty mess and felt like I'd just done a half day of pilates. :D Just tried my first flying game last night, Elite Dangerous, and it is very cool too.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, driving games are awesome in VR and feel super natural.

They need to work on tracking gloves or something. Then game devs can have your characters ( driver etc)arms controlled by the gloves.

They need to work on tracking gloves or something. Then game devs can have your characters ( driver etc)arms controlled by the gloves.

I'm pretty sure that's in the works. For games that use the touch controllers that feature is already there, you can see your hands move in real time, you can grab stuff, point at things, give a thumbs up, make the OK symbol, dial a rotary phone, and it's all surprisingly intuitive and natural. Probably wouldn't be of much use in a driving sim though (other than the cool factor) so not sure if devs will put much time into it for a while but I'm sure eventually it will be a thing.

Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Edit: Tweet is from June 2nd, nevermind! :lol:

Q9LudsG.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's in the works. For games that use the touch controllers that feature is already there, you can see your hands move in real time, you can grab stuff, point at things, give a thumbs up, make the OK symbol, dial a rotary phone, and it's all surprisingly intuitive and natural. Probably wouldn't be of much use in a driving sim though (other than the cool factor) so not sure if devs will put much time into it for a while but I'm sure eventually it will be a thing.

I saw some gloves on kickstarter.
Meanwhile, on Twitter...

Q9LudsG.jpg
Maybe one of the "6-8" cars!

I saw some gloves on kickstarter.

Maybe one of the "6-8" cars!

Could be. Also, I also remember about this part from the end-of-year blog post: "..a new awesome “British Pack” that will bring you the latest line-up from McLaren, Lotus and maybe, something more". Now, we know that the British Pack didn't happen but what if "something more" alluded to Bentley? Their previous* tweet "We're working on it" certainly points in that direction.

*Just realized that tweet is from June 2. Should stay away from Internet when my eyes are tired :lol:

Last edited:
the continental would be a great addition to the gt3 field and a good replacement for the scrapped m6 so i'm hoping that these tweets will actually turn into something more than mere words .

The first time I saw that I laughed my buttocks off.

The new 55 AI Drivers mod for the Nordschleife Tourist actually works! Plus, the mod creator moved the barricades & cones around so some AI cars will drive straight past the parking lot to begin a lap #2 while others will enter the parking lot, go back to their respective parking space and then take off again. So, it's possible to use the tourist layout with a 55 car field now.

55 cars?! :eek: wow...i'd be ok with 20-24 cars on consoles. 16 is a bit low :indiff:

1:1 hand mapping would not only make VR cockpit driving even more immersive, it would also mean that you could operate proper wheel/dashboard controls in the virtual cockpit, solving the awkward problem of how to find your button box in VR.

1:1 hand mapping would not only make VR cockpit driving even more immersive, it would also mean that you could operate proper wheel/dashboard controls in the virtual cockpit, solving the awkward problem of how to find your button box in VR.

True, but that would also mean they'd have to program the game in such a way that you could activate those buttons in VR which I'm guessing probably isn't easy to shoe-horn into an existing engine, probably needs to be built that way from the get-go. And with such a small number of VR users out there I don't see it being a priority for devs in the very near future, but eventually, sure. There's also the matter of it sometimes being hard to read what all those buttons are in VR.

Could be. Also, I also remember about this part from the end-of-year blog post: "..a new awesome “British Pack” that will bring you the latest line-up from McLaren, Lotus and maybe, something more". Now, we know that the British Pack didn't happen but what if "something more" alluded to Bentley? Their previous* tweet "We're working on it" certainly points in that direction.

*Just realized that tweet is from June 2. Should stay away from Internet when my eyes are tired :lol:
Don't care for Bentley in this game tbh, unless it's older race cars. This doesn't mean I won't appreciate them, but if we were to get a Caterham I will be over the moon.

@BrandonW77 For some reason when reading your previous posts I cannot get rid of this visualization

overweight-man-sleeping-exercise-ball-side-view-health-club-31839164.jpg

:)

On a more serious note: I started using VR a year ago (PSVR) and used it for a wide range of games. Racing, shooting, even creepy horror games. Aim controller in combination with PSVR and the game Farpoint is one of the best experiences available. Also EVE Valkyrie is worth a try.

Since a couple of months also the luxury of an Oculus Rift. Assetto Corsa and PCars2 in VR mode is sooo addictive. I had high hopes for GT Sport with PSVR but that became unfortunately a disappoinment. Graphically ok but no real racing experience. Luckily we have other titles available.

Would be very nice if the next gen steering wheels would have the same button sensitivity of the Touch Controllers. Nice piece of technique.

Don't care for Bentley in this game tbh, unless it's older race cars. This doesn't mean I won't appreciate them, but if we were to get a Caterham I will be over the moon.
You mean cars like the Speed 8 or much older, such as the 4½ Litre? Agreed about Caterhams, those would pretty sweet.

True, but that would also mean they'd have to program the game in such a way that you could activate those buttons in VR which I'm guessing probably isn't easy to shoe-horn into an existing engine, probably needs to be built that way from the get-go. And with such a small number of VR users out there I don't see it being a priority for devs in the very near future, but eventually, sure. There's also the matter of it sometimes being hard to read what all those buttons are in VR.
Oh, I totally agree. I was talking more about future sims with next gen HMDs.
I really hope VR eventually enters the mainstream and gets good traction in sim racing so that things like this can be viable. If Pimax deliver on their promises and the hardware is reliable then two of the biggest complaints about VR - FoV and image clarity - will have been dealt with, which should make VR an even more enticing proposition. I think there are exciting times ahead for sim racing fans.

Oh, I totally agree. I was talking more about future sims with next gen HMDs.
I really hope VR eventually enters the mainstream and gets good traction in sim racing so that things like this can be viable. If Pimax deliver on their promises and the hardware is reliable then two of the biggest complaints about VR - FoV and image clarity - will have been dealt with, which should make VR an even more enticing proposition. I think there are exciting times ahead for sim racing fans.

You'll want to give this website a browse :)

https://www.leapmotion.com/

Been around for a bit, camera mounted to front of headset, tracks your bare hands. Would work extremely well with a wheel, possibly would make shifting animation hard depending on where your gearstick is mounted.

Also not sure how your brain would cope with the wheel in front of your eyes being bigger than the one you're holding, although from all of my VR experiences it seems that really your eyes almost totally override any other sensory input, as has been said it's fascinating how comprehensively it tricks your brain!

You mean cars like the Speed 8 or much older, such as the 4½ Litre? Agreed about Caterhams, those would pretty sweet.
Yes. Speed 8 and older.
Within the last 3-6 weeks were treated to the release of a few different Caterhams. In my opinion they're very nice cars. We have the Super 7 & Academy Caterhams.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-7-super-sprint-1995.16143/
&
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-academy-2017.17855/

They even include templates to easily make your own skins. These guys did a lot of research while building these cars...and had access to a real Caterham which must have been awesome.
PS4 browski.

You'll want to give this website a browse :)

https://www.leapmotion.com/

Been around for a bit, camera mounted to front of headset, tracks your bare hands. Would work extremely well with a wheel, possibly would make shifting animation hard depending on where your gearstick is mounted.

Also not sure how your brain would cope with the wheel in front of your eyes being bigger than the one you're holding, although from all of my VR experiences it seems that really your eyes almost totally override any other sensory input, as has been said it's fascinating how comprehensively it tricks your brain!
Very interesting - cheers!

Whatever happens with the next Assetto Corsa, they need to focus a little more on making sure race classes have five, six or seven models for us to enjoy. I will always love GT3, but I wouldn't mind seeing more GT4 & Group C. :D

Yep, your brain doesn't care about that at all. Whatever wheel I see in my virtual hands is what my real hands feel, even if I'm driving a formula car while using my stock T300 round rim it feels like I'm holding a formula rim. Pretty wild!

Back