Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Doesn't have to be like that. It can be, but you can also play on a PC just like you would a console, plug and play. And none of it's hard, if you can create a Word document and attach it to an email you pretty much have all the skills you need for PC gaming life. My first gaming PC gave me some fits but my current one is just about to turn 1 year old and hasn't given me any problems and I've never even opened it up, and it's on off-the-shelf system that I just plugged in, downloaded the games and drivers, and started playing. PC Life doesn't have to be as scary as some make it out to be and it's not nearly as scary as it was 10 years ago. And this is coming from the person who inspired the term "Brandonitis". :D But there's nothing wrong with sticking to consoles too.
That fear of the unknown kept me away from PC gaming for years, but to be honest it's been an absolute breeze. I could never go back to the limits that consoles impose on the player, especially regarding peripherals. Modding AC and playing in VR is just the icing on the cake.

That fear of the unknown kept me away from PC gaming for years, but to be honest it's been an absolute breeze. I could never go back to the limits that consoles impose on the player, especially regarding peripherals. Modding AC and playing in VR is just the icing on the cake.

Right? Setting the games and your wheel up is really no more difficult than on console and installing mods (at least in AC) is literally as easy as copy/paste a folder into another folder. Plus you get VR and triple screens and video editing and lots of other good stuff. Admittedly the community is smaller, more fractured, and more toxic, but generally the positives outweigh the negatives.

As mentioned above, mods don't follow a uniform quality standard like Kunos created content does. So mods aren't really a huge draw for me personally. While I would like to play the Steam version of AC with all the benefits that entails, I can relate to those who prefer playing on consoles. I think I do too. Support and performance may not always be top notch on console, but console life is very straightforward and convenient whereas PC life tends to be characterized by troubleshooting small annoyances because not two setups are identical. Fine with me if people like fiddling with hardware and software settings, but consoles either work or they don't. I like this simplicity despite playing dumbed down versions of a few multiplatform titles.

Exactly. I’d rather have Kunos make the car. If I was on PC, I would use mods but I don’t think it would be the same.

Exactly. I’d rather have Kunos make the car. If I was on PC, I would use mods but I don’t think it would be the same.

Most good, scratch-made mods are nearly as good as Kunos cars. At least near enough to not matter. With random quick rips from Facebook or Russian sites you never know what you're getting and some feel worse than a Gran Turismo car, but legit ones on RaceDepartment that people actually put time and effort into are usually quite good and very worth additions to the virtual garage. For the most part, IMO, there's a wider variability in stock PCars2 content than there is between good AC mod cars and Kunos cars.

For me, the biggest problem with mod cars for AC is there's no continuity between them and most of them are random one-off cars. In the rFactor days you had mods for complete series and even complete seasons of the series, with every car, livery, and track. In AC, for scratch-made mods, you get one BTCC car from the 90's, for example, and that's it. Or a tennis ball with an F1 motor. Or a lawnmower. Or an airplane. Or cars from Need For Speed. Nothing wrong with those, of course, people are free to make/drive what they want, but if you have dreams of recreating (nearly) complete series or seasons from the real-world you're going to struggle to achieve that sadly.

Yeah I've been staying mostly with what I see on RD. I am also kinda skeptical with the distribution on random file sharing services.

There are a lot of worthwhile mods on PC in both cars and tracks, just need to spend more time in sorting them to figure out whats good.

I do miss the full series stuff from rFactor days and I am intrigued with rF2 for that reason, I just feel like I am getting too much overlap with my sim. I use AC now mostly just to lap cars on some tracks I like. AI is not great to race against but R3E is pretty good for that(and that has its own unique set of tracks and cars). I am actually kinda looking forward to the R3E updates to bring more current GT3 cars so I can race those. I still kinda want pCars 2 because of the track contents and some of the cars.

I am intrigued with rF2 for that reason,

IMO the big problem with rF2 is that hardly anyone plays it so if you're looking for online racing you're out of luck unless you want to join a league. That's the main reason I've never put much time into it, I mainly race online so it just seems like a waste of time to me.

Doesn't have to be like that. It can be, but you can also play on a PC just like you would a console, plug and play. And none of it's hard, if you can create a Word document and attach it to an email you pretty much have all the skills you need for PC gaming life. My first gaming PC gave me some fits but my current one is just about to turn 1 year old and hasn't given me any problems and I've never even opened it up, and it's on off-the-shelf system that I just plugged in, downloaded the games and drivers, and started playing. PC Life doesn't have to be as scary as some make it out to be and it's not nearly as scary as it was 10 years ago. And this is coming from the person who inspired the term "Brandonitis". :D But there's nothing wrong with sticking to consoles too.

Sure there's nothing intimidating about PC gaming, but I've had my share of time consuming headaches, assuring me that Playstation suits me better.

Sure there's nothing intimidating about PC gaming, but I've had my share of time consuming headaches, assuring me that Playstation suits me better.

It was the headaches from the games, namely Gran Turismo that eventually ran me off of consoles. Unfortunately I made the move too late and missed out on all the fun.

I use AC now mostly just to lap cars on some tracks I like. AI is not great to race against but R3E is pretty good for that(and that has its own unique set of tracks and cars).
I have to disagree with this. After the last update I think Assetto Corsa AI is the best I've ever raced against. AI still struggle to deal with stationery cars but for toe-to-toe racing I don't think it can currently be beaten.

i thought R3E AI was abysmal. The AI just don't seem aware that you are there.

I have to disagree with this. After the last update I think Assetto Corsa AI is the best I've ever raced against. AI still struggle to deal with stationery cars but for toe-to-toe racing I don't think it can currently be beaten.

i thought R3E AI was abysmal. The AI just don't seem aware that you are there.
Agreed they have improved, but you need to try rF2 if you haven't. The only AI that seems fairly smart :cool:. Don't mean to step on toes, just an opinion on racing AI.

Agreed they have improved, but you need to try rF2 if you haven't. The only AI that seems fairly smart :cool:. Don't mean to step on toes, just an opinion on racing AI.
rF2 AI is really, really good. I'd probably agree that it's better than Assetto Corsa's, but I have spent such little time racing the AI in rF2. Since AC's last update to the AI things have been much, much better...and I didn't even think it was that bad before the update. Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I had very few big AI blunders.

I have tried RF2 AI, AC AI once you adjust the strength and agressivity plus minus 10% and set them both to random in content manager is better than RF2 AI.

I can run with R3E's AI side by side through several corners without issues, I can't do that at anytime with the AC. The things I don't like about R3E is that they aren't that great at starts(neither is AC's) and they seem to go faster when they are chasing regardless how much faster you qualified over them. Felt almost like rubberbanding.

The latest impressions I am getting about Assetto Corsa is that the game is great for driving dynamics as well as being a good base for modding. I haven't heard AC much as good for racing, but I do hear of it as a great game for pushing cars to their limits. I am not sure if I want to plunk down all of my Steam credits on Assetto Corsa just yet, or even to have it as a Christmas gift for myself. When I bought Automobilista, I bought the game and the season pass stuff. Not sure if I'm ready to commit to AC with any extra packs.

I am now thinking if I do get Assetto Corsa, I will turn down a number of graphics settings to try to find some kind of sweet spot to play the game fluidly on my PC. A lot of people who modded for rFactor are applying some of their work to AC. So it is possible to make something for rFactor and then convert to Assetto Corsa. From videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like too much work to make a basic track for AC and then set it up properly. So I have a bit of confidence in modding if I do attempt to create courses.

It's strange... a lot of people praise Assetto Corsa, but a lot of others recommend rFactor 2 or Automobilista more. It is ultimately up to you to decide, but I still feel pretty good about AC and what it has to offer. So I'll keep doing my research and wondering whether or not to get AC.

The latest impressions I am getting about Assetto Corsa is that the game is great for driving dynamics as well as being a good base for modding. I haven't heard AC much as good for racing, but I do hear of it as a great game for pushing cars to their limits. I am not sure if I want to plunk down all of my Steam credits on Assetto Corsa just yet, or even to have it as a Christmas gift for myself. When I bought Automobilista, I bought the game and the season pass stuff. Not sure if I'm ready to commit to AC with any extra packs.

I am now thinking if I do get Assetto Corsa, I will turn down a number of graphics settings to try to find some kind of sweet spot to play the game fluidly on my PC. A lot of people who modded for rFactor are applying some of their work to AC. So it is possible to make something for rFactor and then convert to Assetto Corsa. From videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like too much work to make a basic track for AC and then set it up properly. So I have a bit of confidence in modding if I do attempt to create courses.

It's strange... a lot of people praise Assetto Corsa, but a lot of others recommend rFactor 2 or Automobilista more. It is ultimately up to you to decide, but I still feel pretty good about AC and what it has to offer. So I'll keep doing my research and wondering whether or not to get AC.

Depends on what your interests are. If you're mainly an offline racer rF2 or AMS might suit you better. But if you're an online racer then AC is the no-brainer since it has 10x the amount of regular players.

I completely disagree with people who say it's not good for racing, especially as most people who say that probably go out of their way to race I.e organised races and leagues. PC may be not be so good for a quick race compared to console though. Also people who probably recommend RF2 or AMS to you are probably RF2/AMS guys, just as AC guys would recommend AC. I suspect if RF2 became hugely popular there would be like a cult group who recommend something less popular as better. People like to validate their choices. Only way to really be sure is to try it yourself.

I completely disagree with people who say it's not good for racing, especially as most people who say that probably go out of their way to race I.e organised races and leagues. PC may be not be so good for a quick race compared to console though. Also people who probably recommend RF2 or AMS to you are probably RF2/AMS guys, just as AC guys would recommend AC. I suspect if RF2 became hugely popular there would be like a cult group who recommend something less popular as better. People like to validate their choices. Only way to really be sure is to try it yourself.

It's fine for racing. A bit of a stale atmosphere compared to some other games since it doesn't have the bells and whistles and options, but you can put cars on tracks and race them over a defined amount of time just like you can with any other racing game. Sure, there's no animated marshals, no functional flag system, no night/rain racing, no debris on track, no animated spectators, no forced pitstop options, no multi-class rankings, but for your everyday sprint races it can do those just fine. Same goes for online too, it may not be able to fully replicate every format or set of rules but it has enough options to do what most people need for some fun racing with friends. After two months with PCars2 which has all kinds of bells and whistles and options I can honestly say I'd still far prefer to race in AC.

Based on some of the recent comments, seems like you all are showing two different kinds of sim racing fans. You know, some want hardcore realism while others want a realistic experience without going over the top. The latter seems to describe Assetto Corsa based on recent comments. One thing I've certainly heard is that Assetto Corsa was meant to be played with a steering wheel and not with a keyboard or a game pad. I use a game pad for rFactor and Automobilista. I do have my *ancient* Driving Force Pro from Gran Turismo 4. I am more old-fashioned. I could basically live without a lot of animated people and objects. So I could live with a lot of things AC may not have compared to similar sim racers. And when it comes to the racing aspect of AC, I mostly haven't seen too much of AC watching Twitch streams and YouTube Gaming streams. That's why I made mention to the racing aspect of the game.

I am not sure what comes standard with Assetto Corsa, but there are a number of different packs for AC you can buy. Even if just to drive machines ranging from common to oddball, I seem compelled to want to drive the Porsche Pack that includes the Cayenne. The Assetto Corsa homepage features all the different cars and tracks you can use in the game and that are available for AC.

Thanks to all of you for helping sway my interest.

It is on sale right now - 50% off the game itself; 9 bucks for the Porsche packs. It needs a wheel though, anyone trying to drive the 1967 Ferrari 312 with a controller is doomed.

Based on some of the recent comments, seems like you all are showing two different kinds of sim racing fans. You know, some want hardcore realism while others want a realistic experience without going over the top. The latter seems to describe Assetto Corsa based on recent comments. One thing I've certainly heard is that Assetto Corsa was meant to be played with a steering wheel and not with a keyboard or a game pad. I use a game pad for rFactor and Automobilista. I do have my *ancient* Driving Force Pro from Gran Turismo 4. I am more old-fashioned. I could basically live without a lot of animated people and objects. So I could live with a lot of things AC may not have compared to similar sim racers. And when it comes to the racing aspect of AC, I mostly haven't seen too much of AC watching Twitch streams and YouTube Gaming streams. That's why I made mention to the racing aspect of the game.

I am not sure what comes standard with Assetto Corsa, but there are a number of different packs for AC you can buy. Even if just to drive machines ranging from common to oddball, I seem compelled to want to drive the Porsche Pack that includes the Cayenne. The Assetto Corsa homepage features all the different cars and tracks you can use in the game and that are available for AC.

Thanks to all of you for helping sway my interest.
I can do away with all the bells and whistles but I wouldn't turn my nose up them. The driving has to be engaging for if It has no bells and whistles. Which AC to me is thankfully. Also the Cayenne is free so the Porsche pack isn't needed.but the Porsche pack is needed because its great.

It is on sale right now - 50% off the game itself; 9 bucks for the Porsche packs. It needs a wheel though, anyone trying to drive the 1967 Ferrari 312 with a controller is doomed.
Try lowering the tyre pressure to 17. I struggled with this car initially despite the Lotus 49 being one of my favorites. I had little issue with it after lowering the psi.

24210374_2208102385882734_2764348940605017165_o.jpg

From December 1st to December 3rd, the Monza Rally Show will be back on track! Our friends from Sparco_Gaming will be attending with 10 pods Thrustmaster TS-XW racer Sparco P310 Competition mod, featuring the new cars of the next Assetto Corsa Bonus Pack, including the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio!
Register with the link below and grab your chance to be there!

http://www.contestsparco.it/

Some info about the Maserati Alfieri from Aris.

Hi guys, thanks for watching our live videos from Monza Rally Show, sorry for being only in Italian for this event.

Just to let you know a bit more about the Maserati Alfieri, because in the video I was about to do a longer talk about it, but somehow we've managed to say practically nothing and obviously confused you, sorry again.

So I started developing the car with plans from the future maserati alfieri. So AWD, biturbo engine and waiting to hear from Maserati if it was going to be electric, hybrid or whatever... but in the middle of development, Maserati asked us to work on the actual concept car as presented to the public.
So the Alfieri you're getting is the actual real concept with the GranTurismo big V8 engine and RWD (yee!) It's lighter and shorter than the GranTurismo so more agile too. It also has the amazing cockpit which works like some kind of top class handcrafted sportswatch, really cool.
And that's it, cheers!

Back