Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Instinctively I would have imagined the penalties would be handled locally for much the reason you've suggested, pinging across location data at whatever interval to a server in order for it to judge penalties doesn't seem sensible when it's already programmed and handled by the local game code.

This does raise the question of whether it could be tampered with if local however, and perhaps that may be motivation to have the location / orientation information transmitted (as it would have to be anyway) and then have the server judge penalties to ensure consistency...

Personally I would go for the former implementation and spend time ensuring there are reasonable checks on the client's code to verify it hadn't been tampered with (again, which would already need to be there).

So in conclusion, I don't know what caused the penalty, feel free to ignore my rambling!
I found a server today that was doing it, managed to get a video. Forgot to check if they had it set to “one tire out” though I did see my ping was 100ms with the server. Even if it was 1 tire out, this was bogus.

Excuse my curiosity but why do you sit that far away from the screen!?
I sit 1m away (about 3.3ft) from my 46” 1080p TV and i feel I’m far away from it. I’m planning on getting a 55” 4k TV to install it about 70 to 80cm away from my face to get much higher FOV.
Right now I'm currently stuck on my 55" LCD TV which is mounted on my wall and I sit on a recliner-type of chair which is up against the opposite wall. I could drag my recliner forward every time I wanted to drive, but then I'd have the problem of having to look upward as the bottom of my TV screen is quite high. The TV angles just a bit so I have a perfect line of sight for TV/Movie viewing, but for sim racing, it blows...

I found a server today that was doing it, managed to get a video. Forgot to check if they had it set to “one tire out” though I did see my ping was 100ms with the server. Even if it was 1 tire out, this was bogus.

Holy crap! They nullified your lap because your outside wheels hit the bricks? That's kind of what they're there for...Wow! It's funny...there are some Kunos tracks where they have a section here or there where you can go 4 wheels over the line and they don't penalize you, but then you see a video like yours and I can only shake my head...Imagine if you were on World Record pace? LOL Your head would have exploded. :banghead: :mad:

Holy crap! They nullified your lap because your outside wheels hit the bricks? That's kind of what they're there for...Wow! It's funny...there are some Kunos tracks where they have a section here or there where you can go 4 wheels over the line and they don't penalize you, but then you see a video like yours and I can only shake my head...Imagine if you were on World Record pace? LOL Your head would have exploded. :banghead: :mad:
Yea pretty much. I’ve gone off there pretty deep in qualifying and not been DQ’d so that’s why I think it’s some sort of latency thing.

If I'm not wrong your FOV is 24.1º(vFOV) which is very small. :scared:
I have 32" monitor 20" from my eyes which is 42.83º(vFOV) and I have wide enough field of view.

super_gt... I have to apologize and kick myself, for a bad proof reading habit, where I only look for the red wiggly lines and forget to read my writing. I originally wrote I have a 6:9 panel... I meant 16:9 panel. I shouldn't have let that detail slide. It appears youve caught my mistake, because that was the FOV I was running.

I've moved a little bit closer to my monitor, and now my eyes are about 27" away from the screen. It's helped immensely. I can now see more of what's in front me, and I believe have considerably more vision to the right and to the left. The only thing I'm missing is depth perception, but that is a limitation of playing on a flat screen. LOL.

When I tested out several cars in Assetto Corsa, I mostly used fairly short tracks. These days, I'm using the full Vallelunga configuration for proper testing of cars. I tend to get greater knowledge of what some cars are capable of by doing Vallelunga. I previously used tracks like Vallelunga Club and Magione as testing courses. Using a larger track gives you more of an idea and tests out many more aspects of a car.

Some cars I've previously disliked are some cars I like now. Just like in a lot of other sim racing games, you'll need to run a lap or two to get vehicles warmed up. Then when you start getting a bit warmed up, that is where you can start trying to lay down some solid laps. I am really learning not trying to go full song after leaving the pits. Instead, go slow before going full anger. Some cars still tend to be tough to operate. I would love to make a skin for the Porsche 962C (mostly the long tail version), but that car is a fussbudget to keep on the track. Thank goodness that car has powerful brakes, because you will need them! I got better using the 599XX and the FXX K around Vallelunga. Both still require a good bit of concentration to keep on the road. I have also better appreciated the Lotus 2-Eleven models in my Vallelunga testing. Last time (and without driver aids), those two cars were basically drift cars. The two concept cars- the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento and the Maserati Alfieri- were both pretty cool cars. The Alfieri was a bit tough to handle, but it makes some great engine music.

As a note from one of my previous posts, I am running every car under default, bone stock configurations. So I have not edited car setups or adjusted any features of a car through controls- such as adjusting brake balance or turbo pressure onboard. I don't even want to imagine racing a car like the Lotus 98T at full turbo pressure. It is really cool how Assetto Corsa gives you this level of freedom in custom tuning apart from a lot of other racing games. Even as I questioned wanting to get Assetto Corsa, I will surely recommend it for a number of reasons, especially if you can even remotely handle the PC version.

[UPDATE] "Magione." not Magiore. Changes made.

Last edited:
After a very long delay I'm really happy to have finally jumped into the real reason I wanted a PC- I bought AC plus all the DLC thanks to the good pricing from the Lunar New Year sale on Steam. And wow, it was a truly special moment for me as I booted it up and flicked through the settings. After years of delays and issues surrounding me getting a gaming PC, it really is great to finally have the one piece of the puzzle I have been looking forward to for so long. Hope to see you guys on track 👍

SVX
After a very long delay I'm really happy to have finally jumped into the real reason I wanted a PC- I bought AC plus all the DLC thanks to the good pricing from the Lunar New Year sale on Steam. And wow, it was a truly special moment for me as I booted it up and flicked through the settings. After years of delays and issues surrounding me getting a gaming PC, it really is great to finally have the one piece of the puzzle I have been looking forward to for so long. Hope to see you guys on track 👍
I'm glad you took advantage of those sale prices. You'll be tinkering and tweaking cars a lot. Some of the base setups are beyond questionable... For someone like me who sucks at tuning cars, it's such a feel good moment when I finally do get the car perfectly fit for my driving style and ability.

When you're ready, go download Content Manager: http://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html -- It's a free replacement launcher & much more. To fully unlock all of Content Manager you need to give a donation of any amount you want, there is no minimum, and you'll get a code via email to open everything up.

If you do install Content Manager, immediately open it up and go to Settings > Content Manager > Drive > Game Starter (select AppID). From that point on you'll never have to bother launching Assetto Corsa with the standard Kunos icon. You'll use Content Manager to select your car & track and then hit Go! -- It's ridiculously fast too. :cheers:

Hello

Latest AC news are pretty exciting, a lot to look forward to.
But I want to ask you guys that are racing in AC and GTS, is there any big differences between the driving physics for those two titles? I play GTS, and my most used cars are in the Gr.4 and Gr.3 classes with RH tires as standard, no aids, except default abs activated and roof/hood view.

I've seen some videos on youtube, and for my taste the lower view for the hood view looks better somehow, but the driving view is only one part of it, so it would be great to hear from you guys about the physics and the tire model in AC vs GTS, pros and cons. Thanks!

(excuse my simple but hopefully understandable english)

I'll kick off. I am sure others will have more in dept views.

I think AC offers a more challenging experience than GTS. It all comes down to the physics model, or at least I think it does. My first steps in AC were pretty frustrating, but quite soon I understood better what the cars are doing. It comes rather predictable and pure.

Going from GTs to AC, you will have to learn that cars in AC will spin easily, but at least the AC feels very honest in why it happened.

Last edited:
Hello

Latest AC news are pretty exciting, a lot to look forward to.
But I want to ask you guys that are racing in AC and GTS, is there any big differences between the driving physics for those two titles? I play GTS, and my most used cars are in the Gr.4 and Gr.3 classes with RH tires as standard, no aids, except default abs activated and roof/hood view.

I've seen some videos on youtube, and for my taste the lower view for the hood view looks better somehow, but the driving view is only one part of it, so it would be great to hear from you guys about the physics and the tire model in AC vs GTS, pros and cons. Thanks!

(excuse my simple but hopefully understandable english)
You're in the wrong thread mate.
Check this: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-vs-pcars-2-vs-gts-physics-ffb.358834/page-10
Worth a read! (you can skip to page 7 or 8 where GTS talk started heavily :) )

I may try to set up my wheel again. What I will do this time is try to follow some tutorials online to properly set my aging Driving Force Pro for Assetto Corsa. I am now of the belief that a steering wheel, while not required, is still plenty useful for racing. I almost was torn between trying to invest in a more recent wheel or try to play with the wheel I have already. I've had nothing against using steering wheels. Except maybe that I've been too lazy at times to keep with my gamepad. Thing is, some cars in AC really do benefit from using a wheel instead of a gamepad. At least you have a bit more control.

As an example of if a wheel makes a difference or not, there were a few tests or challenges in Gran Turismo 5 that I was unable to clear with my DualShock 3... ended up getting Gold on both using a wheel. So have you the money, a steering wheel can give you that broad edge.

I can't believe this thread is nearing 10K posts! There were a few cars I used for the first time this past weekend. Among them, the Porsche 718 Boxster, the Porsche 991 Turbo S (called the 911 Turbo S), Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari 458 Italia GT2, Mazda Miata NA, and the Maserati Quattroporte. I am honestly not much into Maserati. However, it is very cool racing a powerful luxury sedan. I never got into the 458 Italia looks-wise. However, it is a nimble car with a great exhaust note. The 991 Turbo S is a total joy to drive, but you better be careful not to push that car too hard.

I'll say it right now- I stink with high-powered race cars in Assetto Corsa. I knew I was in for some trouble when I used the Porsche 917 K, and I was. It's tough anyways to keep high-powered cars on the road. I had a really tough go of it in my Vallelunga runs. I even stumbled (again) with the Mazda 787B.

In closing, I talked about a track that is very long that I used the Audi S1 rally car around. Well, that track was Trento-Bondone. It took me 14 minutes and at least five uses of my reverse gear to clear this course in my first try.

I can't believe this thread is nearing 10K posts! There were a few cars I used for the first time this past weekend. Among them, the Porsche 718 Boxster, the Porsche 991 Turbo S (called the 911 Turbo S), Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari 458 Italia GT2, Mazda Miata NA, and the Maserati Quattroporte. I am honestly not much into Maserati. However, it is very cool racing a powerful luxury sedan. I never got into the 458 Italia looks-wise. However, it is a nimble car with a great exhaust note. The 991 Turbo S is a total joy to drive, but you better be careful not to push that car too hard.

I'll say it right now- I stink with high-powered race cars in Assetto Corsa. I knew I was in for some trouble when I used the Porsche 917 K, and I was. It's tough anyways to keep high-powered cars on the road. I had a really tough go of it in my Vallelunga runs. I even stumbled (again) with the Mazda 787B.

In closing, I talked about a track that is very long that I used the Audi S1 rally car around. Well, that track was Trento-Bondone. It took me 14 minutes and at least five uses of my reverse gear to clear this course in my first try.

Last week we had our Weekly Hotlap Challenge with the 917k at Nordschleife Endurance (see: WHC#68) That was a real challenge. No one could finish with a reasonable time before first leaving the track :lol:. But we had a lot of fun and finally managed to put in some good times.

Because this WHC is a mix of very friendly console and PC racers we have to stick to the original AC content otherwise we would have definitely chosen Trento or some other mod tracks/cars.

Shorter track but also a very well designed one is St Luzia. But you already noticed that one too seeing your responses in that particular PC mod thread. Thanks to @rcallsign for pointing me in the right direction 👍

I never driven the La Ferrari apparently, cause I don't remember liking it so much. I took it to Imola and wanted to see what the fuss about it out accelerating the FXXK is about. And I'll be darned, the car was a dream. 5 laps seemed to fly by, and I still was trying to get more out of it. Man! I was missing out on this gem.

Has anyone else experienced login issues on the official site after the ACC sub-forum was created?

I check regurarly and also yesterday and right now and can access without any delays. May be it was a temporary time out during evening hours (CET)?

I kind of underestimated the Tatuus FA01. This Formula Abarth car is fairly quick in its own right. How do I mean underrating it? Let me explain. The best time I put on at Vallelunga's full circuit is 1:43.239. Among my other official times, my best times at Vallelunga were done with most of the higher-end Ferrari race cars. The only Ferrari I went south of 1:40.000 was with the Ferrari F2004, which I pulled a 1:33.396 My best time around Vallelunga as of the time of this post is 1:33.151, done in the Audi R18 e-Tron quattro 2014. So from my best times driving, the Tatuus FA01 was on pace with cars like the Ferrari FXX K and the Ferrari 599XX EVO around Vallelunga.

I kind of was under the presumption that the Tatuus FA01 was not as fast a pure race car as I thought it would be. If even racing the FA01 in full anger is as good as some of the higher-end machines I also driven in full anger, then the FA01 can't be THAT slow, can it? So don't underestimate the FA01!

1.20 live PSN, 507.4MB
20180302150147.jpg
20180302151053.jpg

Last edited:
With one of the updates, the cars with MGKU 's and stuff have the ability to be operated with the triangle and circle button. That works, but how can I then operate the TCS with that same triangle button?

With one of the updates, the cars with MGKU 's and stuff have the ability to be operated with the triangle and circle button. That works, but how can I then operate the TCS with that same triangle button?

You can't for some reason. In the console version hybrid systems overwrite the TC command, and the custom button mapping settings don't allow for a workaround. However, version 1.17 introduced the electronics tab to the pre-race setup screen from where you can set the TC level regardless of the powertrain.

Last edited:
What video option are you using? I just discovered this :) Using Sport now. Looks better than standard.

Well, I just finished my first AC race on SRS.
I have to say it's quite incredible I've never raced against a cleaner bunch.
I qualified 5th, finished 3rd out of 16 so not too bad.
Turn one I got gently tapped and it gave me an incident.
IMG_20180309_204852.jpg

Well, I just finished my first AC race on SRS.
I have to say it's quite incredible I've never raced against a cleaner bunch.
I qualified 5th, finished 3rd out of 16 so not too bad.
Turn one I got gently tapped and it gave me an incident.
View attachment 720513
I just started racing in SRS again myself. 8 or 9 under my belt and so far the racing has been both competitive and clean with a couple of exceptions here and there. I got caught up in a couple of spinning cars in front of me and my incident count is a little high (over 2) but very impressed so far and it's a lot busier than the last time I was there.

Latest Posts

Back