Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Hello. I bought AC today in the Steam Summer Sale and after driving a bit I sadly realized that the game is quite unplayable with an (Xbox One) controller.
I never owned a steering wheel and don't know much about them, so could anyone here maybe help me and recommend a steering wheel which isn't too expensive? Maybe like 100€ max?

Help would be really appreciated :)

Hello. I bought AC today in the Steam Summer Sale and after driving a bit I sadly realized that the game is quite unplayable with an (Xbox One) controller.
I never owned a steering wheel and don't know much about them, so could anyone here maybe help me and recommend a steering wheel which isn't too expensive? Maybe like 100€ max?

If you want a wheel less than 100€ the best choice is the thrustmaster T80 but the best choice with a low budget is the thrustmaster t150 that has force feedback too and you can find it at about 150€ and is a better platform cause it can have the same accessories of the bigger thrustmaster wheels

Both wheel come in the plain thrustmaster design or as a replica of a Ferrari 488 wheel

The weak point in all cheap wheels is the pedal set (usually two plastic pedals and not so good without clutch) and the T150 is the only one that can accept better pedals (at about 200€ there is a version that has the better three pedals set)

My advice is Save few more money and get yourself the T150 with the better pedals set

Get a second hand Logitech G25/G27 off ebay or similar stores. Still the best bang for your buck wheels with decent pedals and shifter in one package. FFB tech might be outdated now, but that doesn't stop many aliens around the world using it to still set competitive times in newer games.

Those guys have both given great advice. I'd even suggest, if you can get this thing for under 100€ you could get yourself a used Logitech Driving Force GT. Among all of the models we just listed, the Driving Force GT is going to be the least desirable, but you never know.

I saw the price of the full Assetto Corsa pack on Steam...Wow! You got yourself a really good bargain consider all the DLC. You owe it to yourself to experience Assetto Corsa the way it was meant to be - with a wheel an pedals. I hope to see you around the forums - if u need any help, there are lots of friendly people here. :)

You owe it to yourself to experience Assetto Corsa the way it was meant to be - with a wheel an pedals.

This is true and I agree with it. However! I have had a G27 for years but almost never get to use it. Yet still, Assetto Corsa is my favorite driving game on a controller. Had to tweak the settings to suit my tastes, but it has been as close to perfect for me for a few years now.

I've been away for a few weeks, so please forgive me if this is old news to you guys. I just read this a few minutes ago and it really sounds exciting.

From Aristotelis:
The tyre model has been heavily reworked. 3 dimensional flex of
footprint and sidewalls with specific rates for each axis that are also
influenced by the pressure and temperature. Temperatures now have even
more layers and even get affected by brakes heating. Pressure heat and
wear do not only change a simple grip variation but also the actual
behaviour of the tyre, affecting values of slipangle, slipratio, and the
grip curve as a whole. You're not only feeling a different grip but a
different response too. Tyre also has a different response depending on
the different surfaces it touches.

The weather simulation is not a simple lower grip, but an actual water
film layer with different depth. The tyres have algorithms that simulate
the drainage of the water from the tyre, in order to keep the contact
patch in..."contact" with the surface. If it succeeds, you get good
grip, if not, the tyre "raises" over the water film and you get
aquaplaning. That is what it makes wet driving so unpredictable. You
don't have to deal just with a lower grip and that's it. You might think
you got grip, push a bit more and instantly get a different behaviour
on the same turn a lap before.

Many more big and smaller details got implemented and this obviously
makes the fine tuning of the whole system, extremely delicate,
considering that the rules predict just one compound for all cars/tracks
combinations.

On top of that we have a brand new aero model coordinated by Stefano Casillo and created by
Fernando Barbarossa our new physics developer. Much more complex, doesn't take into account
different wings as single entities anymore, but a single aerodynamic
object that gets affected by flow, and becomes very sensitive in pitch
and yaw situations. 1-2mm ride height difference can be felt by good
drivers and makes the setup a very complicated matter.

Because of that, we had to improve our suspension model. It now includes
variable rate bumpstops that I can set with extreme precision to keep
the car from pitching too much. Also new dampers with proper graph
curves and not just 4 values. The bumpstops are quite complex so we're
trying to figure out a way to make the setup screens better designed for
the users.

We also have brand new TC and ABS algorithms, again more complicated
than the original AC ones which by the way were an industry first at the
time. Now we control slip and slide differently and even how much the
engine cuts instead of on/off situations. Those maps alone can change
quite a lot the behaviour of the car.

On top of that, add all the different dynamic grip and weather
simulation and you can imagine that the possible combinations and
situations where something can go wrong are quite a bit. We are also
working in a condition that everything can change from a week to the
other because of new features added and this means we might need to re
do the physics of the cars.

Even BoP is different for each car and each track, and this is getting updated by SRO as we move from one track to the other...

So, I don't know where the 1.5 months per car comes from, as we keep
working on all cars at the same time, so I can't really give an accurate
estimation of how much time we spent on each car, surely Marco has this
under control. But I can tell you that it has become extremely
complex...

I am dying to get a look inside ACC's data files. With the brilliant minds in the AC community I'm sure the encryption will be cracked in a matter of hours. There must be so many new variables in the data files. But anyway, it sounds very encouraging that a lot of new tech is going into ACC. Not just AC on steroids and limited to GT3. Oh man, I can't wait to suck at racing in ACC the way I suck at racing in AC! :lol:

I've been away for a few weeks, so please forgive me if this is old news to you guys. I just read this a few minutes ago and it really sounds exciting.

From Aristotelis:

I am dying to get a look inside ACC's data files. With the brilliant minds in the AC community I'm sure the encryption will be cracked in a matter of hours. There must be so many new variables in the data files. But anyway, it sounds very encouraging that a lot of new tech is going into ACC. Not just AC on steroids and limited to GT3. Oh man, I can't wait to suck at racing in ACC the way I suck at racing in AC! :lol:
Glad you shared it. I was also away for a couple of weeks. (We've enjoyed a vacation in "your" country with hardly any decent wifi :crazy::D)

Finally got my hands on the Ferrari 70th Anniversary DLC pack, and what a great bunch of cars!! The old single seater is great fun, and the speed of the 2004 F1 cars is bonkers!
1f917.png
1f401.png

Finally got my hands on the Ferrari 70th Anniversary DLC pack, and what a great bunch of cars!! The old single seater is great fun, and the speed of the 2004 F1 cars is bonkers!
1f917.png
1f401.png

During your intro I thought you were going to make the music volume rise and fall so it sounds as if the song was being blasted out of your F1 car. That would be hilarious if you did that. Even for a short video. :lol:

The way you toss those Ferrari around shows me why I'm way off the pace in the CRAP challenges. Thanks for that humbling experience.

During your intro I thought you were going to make the music volume rise and fall so it sounds as if the song was being blasted out of your F1 car. That would be hilarious if you did that. Even for a short video. :lol:

The way you toss those Ferrari around shows me why I'm way off the pace in the CRAP challenges. Thanks for that humbling experience.

Haha i'll give it a go mate, I hope to pick up F1 2018 when it comes out later this week......Let's see what the Hamster DJ gets up to! :D

I played Assetto Corsa last night for the first time in 2-3 months, and within 60s was left wondering why the hell I didn't drive for so long. The driving experience is absolutely amazing.

After playing a huge amount of GT Sport I had difficulty adapting for a little while. It probably didn't help that I jumped straight into the monster Maserati MC12 GT1 at Spa-Francorchamps either!

Anyway, I'll be back in the seat tonight... It's too good leave again.

Hey guys,
Need some hotlap references

Could you guys run a decent lap round either Silverstone GP, Spa and or Brands hatch GP in the KTM Xbow on PS4
All with default settings and optimal track conditions, semi slick tyres (basically how it should be by default!

If you could post your times ether on here or message me it would be really appreciated
I’m In a competition so wanna know some good fast respectable times to aim for or try and better to try and win
Thanks!

Technically not AC related, but Saturday I kinda got to live Assetto Corsa in real-life. I went to Vegas with my dad and we rented a Lamborghini Huracan and a McLaren 570S and drove them to Hoover Dam and back. It was incredible, every car we passed the people were checking us out, when we drove past pedestrians half of them were whipping out their phones to take pics, we parked at the Dam and within a minute there was a crowd of people gathered around taking pics and posing with the cars, total Top Gear moment. It was as amazing as you'd imagine and driving those monsters with flappy paddles felt completely normal to me after years of sim racing. The acceleration and noises were intoxicating. Best day of my life. :cool:

IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg

^ Happy Brandon! :D

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 3.06.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 3.07.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 3.09.45 PM.png

I played Assetto Corsa last night for the first time in 2-3 months, and within 60s was left wondering why the hell I didn't drive for so long. The driving experience is absolutely amazing.

After playing a huge amount of GT Sport I had difficulty adapting for a little while. It probably didn't help that I jumped straight into the monster Maserati MC12 GT1 at Spa-Francorchamps either!

Anyway, I'll be back in the seat tonight... It's too good leave again.
Same thing here. I hadn't played it for a month then had a a go the other day and thought damn this feels so good. Shame we will not fet any new content.

I had a GoPro strapped to each one, I'm going to edit together a video of the cruise but it will probably take a couple days. Stay tuned!
Sounds awesome. I was gonna ask if you recorded it.

Hey guys,
Need some hotlap references

Could you guys run a decent lap round either Silverstone GP, Spa and or Brands hatch GP in the KTM Xbow on PS4
All with default settings and optimal track conditions, semi slick tyres (basically how it should be by default!

If you could post your times ether on here or message me it would be really appreciated
I’m In a competition so wanna know some good fast respectable times to aim for or try and better to try and win
Thanks!

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/

Technically not AC related, but Saturday I kinda got to live Assetto Corsa in real-life. I went to Vegas with my dad and we rented a Lamborghini Huracan and a McLaren 570S and drove them to Hoover Dam and back. It was incredible, every car we passed the people were checking us out, when we drove past pedestrians half of them were whipping out their phones to take pics, we parked at the Dam and within a minute there was a crowd of people gathered around taking pics and posing with the cars, total Top Gear moment. It was as amazing as you'd imagine and driving those monsters with flappy paddles felt completely normal to me after years of sim racing. The acceleration and noises were intoxicating. Best day of my life. :cool:

View attachment 767205 View attachment 767206 View attachment 767207

^ Happy Brandon! :D

View attachment 767208 View attachment 767209 View attachment 767210
Wow, those look like good roads open them up and let the cars clear their throats, too. Maybe a little too straight? I'm guessing there were no winding sections to test the handling.
How much does a day's rental of those beasts cost over that side of the pond?
And did you swap cars for the drive back?

Wow, those look like good roads open them up and let the cars clear their throats, too. Maybe a little too straight? I'm guessing there were no winding sections to test the handling.
How much does a day's rental of those beasts cost over that side of the pond?
And did you swap cars for the drive back?

I opened them up a bit but nothing too crazy, didn't want to get in trouble and dad was with me so I needed to behave a bit but I ran them up through the gears to about 100mph a few times, took nothing to get to that speed. The acceleration was awesome, dad's buddy was riding shotgun and when I punched it in the Macca his sunglasses flew off the top of his head. :D We took the interstate out there and some windy roads through Lake Mead park on the way back, these things handle so good though that curves were kind of non-events, they were just so planted that it took no effort and wasn't as thrilling as the same curves would have been in my WRX. Really need a track to get the most out of them, but I did get a few twisty bits that put a big smile on my face.

It was $500/car for three hours and 50 miles ($2/mile after that) which really isn't bad at all, I certainly got $500 worth of fun and memories out of it. But, there was a $5,000 security deposit for each which is a bit salty but not a big deal if you have enough room on a credit card, it's refunded when you turn the cars back in. And yes, we swapped half way so we each got to drive both cars. The Macca would be the better one to live with everyday, more comfortable to sit in and a nicer ride quality. The Lambo felt like it had no real suspension so you could feel every little crack and bump in the road but it wasn't awful, I didn't lose any teeth or anything. If you're over 6' tall you'd have a hard time getting comfortable, I'm a smidgen under 6' and I had the seat all the way back which was fine for me but my dad who is 6'3" was a bit crammed in there. The Lambo had instant acceleration and a better noise, the Macca being turbo had a bit of lag when you hit the loud pedal and then woooOOOOOOSHHHH!!! Both were awesome though, definitely a day for the memory books.

Here's a chunk of video straight from the GoPro card from right after we left the damn and entered the park if you want to see what the scenery and road was like. It really was beautiful. I'll be working on editing together a more interesting video this weekend with views from both cars. You'll probably have to manually set it to 1080p, for some reason it's defaulting to 360.

Last edited:
That’s very cool. Last month as a 40 th birthday present in New Jersey I got to drive a Ferrari 458 and Porsche 911 gt at a track for 3 laps each. It was done by this company xtream experience or xtream racing and you pay for various lap times and they have a few high end sports cars to drive they travel to various tracks and each car you drive you have an experience person telling you when to break and how to exit and enter the corners. I didn’t go very fast and next time If I do it again I will buy more laps 3 wasn’t enough. It’s so cool and very fun. The teacher I had even said it’s good you play racing games so you should follow my instructions good. It’s a cool thing. Glad your experience was fun as well.

That’s very cool. Last month as a 40 th birthday present in New Jersey I got to drive a Ferrari 458 and Porsche 911 gt at a track for 3 laps each. It was done by this company xtream experience or xtream racing and you pay for various lap times and they have a few high end sports cars to drive they travel to various tracks and each car you drive you have an experience person telling you when to break and how to exit and enter the corners. I didn’t go very fast and next time If I do it again I will buy more laps 3 wasn’t enough. It’s so cool and very fun. The teacher I had even said it’s good you play racing games so you should follow my instructions good. It’s a cool thing. Glad your experience was fun as well.

This place offered the track experience too but it was pretty much the same price and you'd only get a few minutes in each car. I thought getting the cars for 3 hours to do what we wanted with sounded like a better deal, way more seat time even if it wasn't as fast. But after driving them I really wanted to open them up on a track.

I'm trying to get out of my shell, and do some online racing on PC. The only problem is Assetto Corsa's Multiplayer server list is very intimidating, and full of lock icons. Plus I see very little US servers, so that makes getting into Online with AC, kind of frightening. Anyone know some place that would be accepting of new(er) players looking for some online racing?

I don't mind being a back marker, because I have to start someplace. And I stride to be as clean of a racer as possible. Just looking for some like minded players.

:edit: Added how I race, and my on track etiquette.

I'm trying to get out of my shell, and do some online racing on PC. The only problem is Assetto Corsa's Multiplayer server list is very intimidating, and full of lock icons. Plus I see very little US servers, so that makes getting into Online with AC, kind of frightening. Anyone know some place that would be accepting of new(er) players looking for some online racing?

I don't mind being a back marker, because I have to start someplace. And I stride to be as clean of a racer as possible. Just looking for some like minded players.

:edit: Added how I race, and my on track etiquette.

Shouldn't be scary or intimidating. :) Lock icon means it's password protected so you can't enter those (not sure if there's a way to filter them out of the list or not). You don't need a US server, I've joined servers from all over the world. Chances of connection problems are slightly higher the further away the server is but for as much online racing I've done in AC I can probably count the number of connection issues I've had on one hand, it's pretty stable. And don't worry about your ping, some people get freaked out if it's over 200 (or shows as red in AC) but it doesn't really matter if it's a high number as long as it's staying stable, it's when your ping is bouncing all over the place that problems occur. Just find a server with some content you have/enjoy and join up, might be a good idea to not qualify so you can start at the back and go at your pace until your more comfortable but don't be afraid to get out there and race! As long as you do your best to race politely and keep your head about you then you should be fine. If you can't get in a server it means you're don't have the content/mods being used or the version you have isn't up to date.

Back