Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 131,850 comments
anyone has a tool to recommend for mass/batch compression of dss files?

reason I ask is I saw a massive possibility for storage reduction!

For example I took this 64MB skin dds
View attachment 1266853
size on disk already smaller then actual size because of LZX compression with the CM Compress Tool !
It only takes 4MB of space on my SSD.

compressing in GIMP, made size on disk increased to 21.3MB (same as actual size ).
After running the LZX compression in CM again to recompress , it now shows:
View attachment 1266855

So I gained almost 50% !
I know this is an extreme case and I won't be able to bring down my entire content/cars folder by 50%
but still it will make a huge difference if I find a way to batch compress DDS files ...
Content Manager has a tool to compress data.
Go to Content/Tools and select Compress files. The program will make a scan of all the files within your assetto corsa location and will show you a summary of the next action (two steps detection and action) based on the algorithm that you will choice.

Nissan R32 JTCC Update And two Extreme Rare Skins
__custom_showroom_1687342434.jpg
__custom_showroom_1687342442.jpg

Changes
Transmission ratio fix&chenges
Some materials changes

Rear window stickers fix
Altia
FET
Ciesse Trampion

2 new Extremely rare skins
Lantec Sunoco
Johnson Wax

Skins fixes
Castrol 23 & Unisia 5 by shin956
Ciesse Trampion
Delta
Monroe 50&51
Napolex 15
Acerola
Repsol
Tamiya
Tanabe
427 Motorsport
Gibson-team Winfield

Again thanks to all that helping me and supporting

Download Update: Patreon
Full car mod download soon on the "GTPlanet Downloads"

Hi the Community, I have some questions regarding the ppfilter locations on my hard disk. I see that I have different ini files under assettocorsa/system/cfg/ppfilters while when I want to import the profile through the Pure Config apps in the game, the path proposed by default is assettocorsa/extension/config-ext/Pure. It seems that the current location used with Pure last version is not the same as with the previous version. Can you explain me? Thanks.

RSS Mercer V8​

Any idea how to increase the height of the onboard cam ? I usually driving using this cam, but its just to low compared to other RSS car.
Screenshot (1).png

also having this problem is this the only way? do you not want to have extended physics running?
enabling the tick box I believe adds a few lines to data.acd (some ext fixes). If the unable to decrypt message pops up it means the car's encryption is tied to the data.acd (which is the stupidest encryption to have) hence why unchecking the box "fixes" it.

ideally cars should be developed with ext physics incorporated

Yes in CM there is onboard setting, just like our friend showed above but when you choose this cam (without steering wheel) it won't let you adjust the height position.
You can only adjust the pov. Or its just me.
I think to adjust the dashboard cam you need to unpack the data.acd, then open "onboard settings" in AC while in COCKPIT (!) view, adjust to your liking and then either "save car.ini" to save it as the cockpit view, or "save dash" to save this cam position for the dashcam.

Then you need to leave the session and restart the game for "the changes to take effect".

Last edited:
Yes in CM there is onboard setting, just like our friend showed above but when you choose this cam (without steering wheel) it won't let you adjust the height position.
Have you pressed F1 and gone to another onboard camera? Those cameras are locked, you'd need to unpack the data and edit the cameras file.

Last edited:
Hi guys, i need an help, some days ago my CM start show this message, and since that moment, country flags of tracks are not showing. don't know what to do, a reinstall doesn't work. CM vers. is 0.8.2561.39678
Thanks!

Immagine.png

In the car selection under Drive, under each car it shows a tiny, tiny brand badge and the model of the car. E.g. "[tiny alfa romeo logo] 4C (2013)". When I'm scrolling, looking for a car in the list, I would love to see where I am, alphabetically, but these tiny badges are illegible to me. I would much prefer if it just said the brand name in plain text there. E.g. "Alfa Romeo 4C (2013)".

Is there a way I can change the brand badges to plain text?

Content Manager has a tool to compress data.
Go to Content/Tools and select Compress files. The program will make a scan of all the files within your assetto corsa location and will show you a summary of the next action (two steps detection and action) based on the algorithm that you will choice.
you clearly did not read my post properly.. as I wrote that I am already using it! :)
but on TOP of that , compressing the DDS (with GIMP in my testcase ) got me an extra 50% gain.

60MB dds file with CM compress tool was taking approx 4MB of SSD space,

I compessed it with GIMP to BC3 / DXT5 , resulting in a 20MB file.
The CM compress tool then made this file take only 2MB of space on my SSD.

So I gained an extra 50% of diskspace for this file, even though I was already using CM Compress tool , and the file was already compressed.

Hence I want to find a tool that I can run to do a mass / batch compress of all the DDS files in my content folder,
which will save me I estimate at least 100GB of disk space..
Since my 1TB SSD is almost full , with only Assetto corsa on it , I would preffer gaining some space by having the DDS files compressed as best as possible...

Last edited:

RSS Mercer V8​

Any idea how to increase the height of the onboard cam ? I usually driving using this cam, but its just to low compared to other RSS car.
View attachment 1266922
Onboard settings is accessed in game when you move the cursor all the way to the Right of the screen a vertical bar will pop up. Once selected, you adjust the arrows to raise or lower the seat. @OooAhh Cantona - he shows what the icons appear like in the menu (in game). Pretty simple. Hit save and it is always the same when you launch the car. I do this on about 99% of all cars.

No need to edit config files etc.

I thought that the view without the rim is a fixed view. But you can just remove the wheel with the main cockpit view and just move around.

I'm going out on a limb and say Assetto Corsa.

I know there are a lot of OG sim guys that have been around for them all, but I've never seen anything like what AC has become. It's a winner for sure in my view.

...and shot out to @pk3r72owns ...glad to see the man behind the mods/post.

Wouldn't mind hearing further input on how the mods will be handled from Tyrone?
Thanks for the shout-out.

Honestly, we have no idea how Rennsport will handle mod distribution at this point. They've not told me anything.

It's exciting seeing whats possible, but also a major time-sink to learn new tools for a new sim. Like with AC there's a guaranteed audience for my mods. For any of the new upcoming games... Well we just don't know what'll be popular.

you clearly did not read my post properly.. as I wrote that I am already using it! :)
but on TOP of that , compressing the DDS (with GIMP in my testcase ) got me an extra 50% gain.

60MB dds file with CM compress tool was taking approx 4MB of SSD space,

I compessed it with GIMP to BC3 / DXT5 , resulting in a 20MB file.
The CM compress tool then made this file take only 2MB of space on my SSD.

So I gained an extra 50% of diskspace for this file, even though I was already using CM Compress tool , and the file was already compressed.

Hence I want to find a tool that I can run to do a mass / batch compress of all the DDS files in my content folder,
which will save me I estimate at least 100GB of disk space..
Since my 1TB SSD is almost full , with only Assetto corsa on it , I would preffer gaining some space by having the DDS files compressed as best as possible...
You will be losing quality on the skins that are dropping from 60 > 20MB. They're already likely compressed with DDS and you are just recompressing them into DXT5 format (there's a few different options when compressing/saving as a DDS). If you're happy with the quality loss, which in most cases is probably not noticeable then this sounds like a win win for you, but I can't think of an app that will do what is required in one motion. There may be apps out there that will convert your files to something lossless as a first step so as not to lose quality 2 times, and then repeat the process on those files back to DDS DXT5. There's plenty of apps out there that will convert from one format to another in a batch, google batch image converter and experiment. I'm just not sure about converting DDS * > DDS DXT5 🤷‍♂️

Oh and as said before, CM compress just uses windows built in file compression, it's nothing special. To save you some more space, download a program called CompactGUI https://github.com/IridiumIO/CompactGUI and with it, compress your "content" folder. Use LZX algorithm and even if you have already compressed your mods, you will be surprised at the amount of extra space you will gain. (still using windows compression so no compatibility issues etc)

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back