Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 132,687 comments
It's ok if it's just sound, as the cockpit view is still unaffected. And you can replace it with another car as you said. More problematic if the game can't load the car at all.

I don't know how AC's physics engine works, but it's a bit unwieldy if for every update Kunos has to update all 100 cars (and more will come in the future). That can't be good for productivity. What I had in mind is every car has a physics file that is set in stone (the car's data isn't going to change is it), but how the physics engine interprets it change. When Kunos updates the engine, there will be no need to update the cars because it's automatically applied from a higher level (if that makes sense). Sounds are a bit more complicated and I can sort of understand if it can't be fixed automatically.

Haha the Reliant is just an example I have off the top of my head. There are a few other cars but they're no big loss, or they are not so good in quality anyway. The Reliant may be a crap can but it's hella lot of fun. It's one of those cars where you bust out when your friends come along to get them into simracing, just because it's so weird and anyone can have fun without being good at the game. The Blue Falcon from F-Zero is another one that's broken :(

BTW, anyone knows where all the easter egg locations for the 4 EXE files for the VIR mod? I can't be bothered going off track to scour for every possible nook and cranny lol.
What you've described is pretty much exactly how Assetto Corsa does work. Kunos doesn't have to update all of their cars after every update. On the v1.9 update, yes, they had to update all of them because of the new FMOD issue.

I'm sure you've probably installed a mod or two where the author didn't package all the data files into one data.acd file. The way to check for this is to go into the root folder for that particular car and if you see a folder called "DATA", go into that folder and you'll see a buttload of files. THOSE files are the car's data files and look-up-tables. Poke around in them if you've got an hour to kill.

Been jerking around with PP filters and i found a great one; track day:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/track_day-pp-filter.12384/

td2-jpg.157126

td4-jpg.157128

The problem (at least to my eyes), is that most of the available PP filters do not really simulate the brightness of daylight very good, and as a consequence the graphics look a bit dark overall even though the color palette is realistic.

This fixes it 👍

I feel like I must be missing something but I can not find the PSD files for the cars to make skins. Can anyone help me locate them?

What you've described is pretty much exactly how Assetto Corsa does work. Kunos doesn't have to update all of their cars after every update. On the v1.9 update, yes, they had to update all of them because of the new FMOD issue.

I'm sure you've probably installed a mod or two where the author didn't package all the data files into one data.acd file. The way to check for this is to go into the root folder for that particular car and if you see a folder called "DATA", go into that folder and you'll see a buttload of files. THOSE files are the car's data files and look-up-tables. Poke around in them if you've got an hour to kill.

If that's the case then I wonder why the old mods cause the game to crash? Is it just because the data files are not compiled into data.acd? Because I found a compiler that can compile/decompile the acd files. Let's see if that fixes it.

I only spent about 10 minutes peeking around, but I think I might have figured out a way to upgrade cars to the TM10. When I have some more ambition I'll give it a go and see if I can upgrade a car still on TM7 to TM10 and see if I don't break anything. :lol:

Do share your findings if it works. Good luck :lol:

Thanks. I am clearly doing something wrong as I do not have that folder.

You should have it and I should have been more clear, it's not in the assettocorsa folder found in your My Documents folder. It's the one in program files/steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/sdk/dev/skin_templates

If you still can't find it, run an integrity check in Steam.

Finally found one with working sounds and physics that are not tweaked. I don't know why people do that. It is only on TM7 - I'm going to try getting it to TM10.
Qjbjdk5.jpg

@LeGeNd-1 I don't know what to say about your old mods. I have only had 2 old mods that would crash back to the launcher. One was the NSX, which I figured out the solution to and I can't remember the other. It might have been an AC Legends mod (in that case, it might have been 5 or 6 cars in the AC Legends series - I'm not positive).

The only problem I've had (besides those two) is older mods that have their sounds stop working. The cars still load to the track just fine. Could you give me an example of an older mod that crashes you back to the loader? I'm just curious. Maybe it's an older version? I'd love to help you if I can. 👍

The car's data files do not have to be packed into a data.acd file to work properly. Kunos does that just to protect the data that they use to create cars. Fortunately for us, it is extremely simple to unpack & re-pack those .acd files with QuickBMS.

Finally found one with working sounds and physics that are not tweaked. I don't know why people do that. It is only on TM7 - I'm going to try getting it to TM10.
Qjbjdk5.jpg

@LeGeNd-1 I don't know what to say about your old mods. I have only had 2 old mods that would crash back to the launcher. One was the NSX, which I figured out the solution to and I can't remember the other. It might have been an AC Legends mod (in that case, it might have been 5 or 6 cars in the AC Legends series - I'm not positive).

The only problem I've had (besides those two) is older mods that have their sounds stop working. The cars still load to the track just fine. Could you give me an example of an older mod that crashes you back to the loader? I'm just curious. Maybe it's an older version? I'd love to help you if I can. 👍

The car's data files do not have to be packed into a data.acd file to work properly. Kunos does that just to protect the data that they use to create cars. Fortunately for us, it is extremely simple to unpack & re-pack those .acd files with QuickBMS.

The graphic offset of the front wheel is wrong on the f40 in your picture, the wheel is going trough the fender.

The graphic offset of the front wheel is wrong on the f40 in your picture, the wheel is going trough the fender.
Yup...I noticed that too. When I have time I'm going to try and investigate why. Obviously, the vast majority of mods are built by people who don't have much more information than what you or I could locate in a Google search. I'm okay with that, to an extent. A lot of the time I like to use the mod cars for AI drivers just to have a varied grid. In this case, I really wanted to get my hands on a working F40 Competizione/LM but I would only find 'em with all sorts of disastrous issues.

Another thing that really bothers me - I just discovered this last week - modders who tweak data files to impossible values. In this case, it was a KTM X-Bow RR. I decided to check it out. Right away I could determine all sorts of problems. Sure enough, I pop into engine/power/general settings and see all sorts of nonsense. I can't remember any exact numbers, but it was ridiculous. This person even jacked up the time it takes to refuel the car, change the tires, fix body or engine damage. I opened the data.acd file from the Kunos X-Bow R for comparison and I started to try to fix a lot of these crazy values. I'm thinking of it as a learning exercise.

With this F40, I really, really want to get it setup properly and hopefully I'll be able to fix that front wheel protrusion fairly easily. Oh yeah, and I'd like to move it from TM7 to TM10.

Wiz
You should have it and I should have been more clear, it's not in the assettocorsa folder found in your My Documents folder. It's the one in program files/steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/sdk/dev/skin_templates

If you still can't find it, run an integrity check in Steam.
Found it. I knew I was doing something wrong. Thank you.

Yup...I noticed that too. When I have time I'm going to try and investigate why. Obviously, the vast majority of mods are built by people who don't have much more information than what you or I could locate in a Google search. I'm okay with that, to an extent. A lot of the time I like to use the mod cars for AI drivers just to have a varied grid. In this case, I really wanted to get my hands on a working F40 Competizione/LM but I would only find 'em with all sorts of disastrous issues.

Another thing that really bothers me - I just discovered this last week - modders who tweak data files to impossible values. In this case, it was a KTM X-Bow RR. I decided to check it out. Right away I could determine all sorts of problems. Sure enough, I pop into engine/power/general settings and see all sorts of nonsense. I can't remember any exact numbers, but it was ridiculous. This person even jacked up the time it takes to refuel the car, change the tires, fix body or engine damage. I opened the data.acd file from the Kunos X-Bow R for comparison and I started to try to fix a lot of these crazy values. I'm thinking of it as a learning exercise.

With this F40, I really, really want to get it setup properly and hopefully I'll be able to fix that front wheel protrusion fairly easily. Oh yeah, and I'd like to move it from TM7 to TM10.
It is graphic offset data at the bottom of the car.ini

Anyone else like to create some Frankenstein car mods by swapping one car's data files with a mix of data files from various other cars?

I have a Seat Cupra R that I messed with a few months back, and yet it's still been the most fun car I've driven in AC to date, everything about it is a sheer pleasure (for me).

I grabbed the fll versiuon of content manager and i am happy i can fix now the sound of all cars that didn't had an update after 1.09...
But one thing still remain... there are some really good mods i love like the ginetta G55 GT4 that don't have the dash view... How is possible to fix that view to get a dashboard view on mods that dont have that fix?
I always drive with most of the HUD off as i rely mainly on the instruments on the dashboard only and not having the dashboard view is annoying for me...

About the issue of non updated mods... This is the good and bad thing about mods... You can have a lot of contents that the main studio cannot do (for time costraints or decision of the publisher or for licensing issues) but modders are not professionals, they do it in the free time and sometimes they left a game modding to start modding the new one coming out... So we have a lot of cars and tracks fr AC that are still in beta version left untouched for months or years... Sad but true...

That's the same with mods across all race sims. It's just part of life with mods to accept these things and it's best to simply be pleased with mods which are regularly updated and kept alive.

To be honest AC mods are actually much easier thaN back in rFactor 1 days... You just install the mod and it will work. I remember spending more time tweaking .ini files (especially for Realfeel FFB) than actually driving many rFactor 1 mods, simply to get them usable!

I grabbed the fll versiuon of content manager and i am happy i can fix now the sound of all cars that didn't had an update after 1.09...
But one thing still remain... there are some really good mods i love like the ginetta G55 GT4 that don't have the dash view... How is possible to fix that view to get a dashboard view on mods that dont have that fix?
I always drive with most of the HUD off as i rely mainly on the instruments on the dashboard only and not having the dashboard view is annoying for me...

About the issue of non updated mods... This is the good and bad thing about mods... You can have a lot of contents that the main studio cannot do (for time costraints or decision of the publisher or for licensing issues) but modders are not professionals, they do it in the free time and sometimes they left a game modding to start modding the new one coming out... So we have a lot of cars and tracks fr AC that are still in beta version left untouched for months or years... Sad but true...

Do you mean the normal cockpit view? My Ginetta has that.

Well as I said the Reliant Robin mod is one. There's also the Blue Falcon F-Zero mod. Both can be found on RD if you want to take a look at the files. Other old mods are just missing sounds (easy to fix) or I fixed it by putting flames 7&8 in the textures file (I think that's what I did for the NSX mod). There's a few others but I'm not concerned about losing them.

Yes, I've been recommended QuickBMS by another person here. As you said it doesn't have to be packed though as some mods work with their data still in folder form, so it can't be the cause.

Wiz
Check the logs. They should give you some clues as to why a car causes a crash.

Where do I find the log file?

I'm pretty sure that you can create your own camera view by enabling Free Camera mode, or something like that. Although, I think you have to go into assetto_corsa.ini or one of those files and enable it. Then you could literally put the camera anywhere you wanted. You could have a dog's head view out of the passenger window if you wanted. Drool not included. :) I can't help you with the Ginetta mod at the moment. I'll look into it for you.

Somebody hold me back...cuz I'm gonna Superfly Jimmy Snuka Legend-1 from the top of the steel cage!!! The two mods that you're complaining about "Kunos BREAKING" are the goofy three wheel toy and a g-d damn flying car that the author says he made as a "joke" a version 0.3 that the author abandoned.... :banghead: What's the number for the mental institution, I need to check myself in. :D

No, seriously...I think Kunos gets a bad rap for the mods breaking considering it's happened twice in 13 months and 90% of the time any mod worth a crap gets fixed by the author. Half of these "mods" are just rip jobs from Forza. It can't be too surprising that they receive no author updating. At least we can fix/fudge the sounds...

Oh, I was looking into moving cars from Tire Model 7 to Tire Model 10...yeah, that's not going to happen. It's a much more difficult process than I'd like to get involved with. Plus, to do it any actual real justice, I would need to have access to information that I don't have. So, driving Mods on TM7 is probably a better thing to do than driving them on a TM10 that some idiot like me hacked together.

I took a car (open-wheel mod) and opened the data.acd file and just threw the tyres.ini from the TM7 & TM10 version into a difference checker. Then my head started spinning and I woke up in a dumpster in Tijuana. Not pretty.

Is it me or has Tracks modding been dropped lately?
Probably. However, I believe track modding is much, much harder in terms of overall hours spent. For someone who models a vehicle from scratch and then implements every facet of physics required & makes the sounds, etc... Yes, that is an enormous project. I think that's why we see so few "top quality" mods of cars appearing on RD.

The frequent 'steal this 3d model from forza or steal it from an incredible 3d artists who's not into sim racing at all and then steal the physics files from a similar car, likewise with the sounds'... those are falling from the sky with increased frequency.

I'm not saying that you can't make an incredible track with the Bob's Track Builder. I'm sure you can. I probably have some installed and don't even know it. But, you still have to put in a tremendous amount of work to really make it standout. I've watched Lilski build a couple of tracks from start to finish and it takes a crap ton of work. I know licensing also has something to do with it, but look at how many cars Kunos can supply in a year versus tracks.

Neither cars nor tracks are easy to create start to finish, but I'd wager tracks are a little harder. Although, I think a car's 3D Model requires an extremely talented person to make it look almost identical to the real thing. Tracks generally don't have the subtleties cars do. I'm not talking about adding stands, benches, fences, trees.. That's time consuming too.

Somebody hold me back...cuz I'm gonna Superfly Jimmy Snuka Legend-1 from the top of the steel cage!!! The two mods that you're complaining about "Kunos BREAKING" are the goofy three wheel toy and a g-d damn flying car that the author says he made as a "joke" a version 0.3 that the author abandoned.... :banghead: What's the number for the mental institution, I need to check myself in. :D

:lol: I almost choked on my drink! No, it's true that those are joke cars and I'm insane for wanting those 2 to work, but I've always liked oddball things and there's nothing crazier than a 3 wheeler that keeps tipping over and a car that doesn't even have any business being in a sim, but somehow is :D I don't profess to spending lots of time in either of those, but when friends come over (many of them aren't into sims), those 2 are the cars that I will bring out first :lol:

So yeah, I can live without them, but I'd prefer if they still works ;)

Probably. However, I believe track modding is much, much harder in terms of overall hours spent. For someone who models a vehicle from scratch and then implements every facet of physics required & makes the sounds, etc... Yes, that is an enormous project. I think that's why we see so few "top quality" mods of cars appearing on RD.

The frequent 'steal this 3d model from forza or steal it from an incredible 3d artists who's not into sim racing at all and then steal the physics files from a similar car, likewise with the sounds'... those are falling from the sky with increased frequency.

I'm not saying that you can't make an incredible track with the Bob's Track Builder. I'm sure you can. I probably have some installed and don't even know it. But, you still have to put in a tremendous amount of work to really make it standout. I've watched Lilski build a couple of tracks from start to finish and it takes a crap ton of work. I know licensing also has something to do with it, but look at how many cars Kunos can supply in a year versus tracks.

Neither cars nor tracks are easy to create start to finish, but I'd wager tracks are a little harder. Although, I think a car's 3D Model requires an extremely talented person to make it look almost identical to the real thing. Tracks generally don't have the subtleties cars do. I'm not talking about adding stands, benches, fences, trees.. That's time consuming too.

I've always thought car modding is a lot more difficult in terms of brainpower, because you have to get physics correct, acquire sounds and mix them properly, and model the body and interior. All of which is difficult unless you got access to the real thing, which a lot of modders sitting at home doesn't. Using online research, youtube videos and scale models/pictures for reference just isn't the same. That's why I feel even the best mods is still missing that extra 5% that makes Kunos cars feel oh so right.

Tracks as long as you have basic elevation and corner profiles correct, it's reasonably drivable. Of course the gold standard is laser scanning, but with a decent mesh you can still create a convincing illusion of an undulating tarmac. No one's going to remember the exact location of a pebble on a racetrack after all. Trackside objects can be difficult and time consuming to get correct, but again as long as you get all the major landmarks right it's ok.

Basically I'm saying cars are harder to get correct - you either nail it or you don't. Tracks are maybe more time consuming, but turning out a decent one is a lot quicker. Also not all tracks are Nordscheleifes, but a car is a car and you need to get all physics correct.

Sadly for me though I prefer having lots of tracks than lots of cars. What would I give to see all rFactor track mods updated to AC standards...

:lol: I almost choked on my drink! No, it's true that those are joke cars and I'm insane for wanting those 2 to work, but I've always liked oddball things and there's nothing crazier than a 3 wheeler that keeps tipping over and a car that doesn't even have any business being in a sim, but somehow is :D I don't profess to spending lots of time in either of those, but when friends come over (many of them aren't into sims), those 2 are the cars that I will bring out first :lol:

So yeah, I can live without them, but I'd prefer if they still works ;)

I've always thought car modding is a lot more difficult in terms of brainpower, because you have to get physics correct, acquire sounds and mix them properly, and model the body and interior. All of which is difficult unless you got access to the real thing, which a lot of modders sitting at home doesn't. Using online research, youtube videos and scale models/pictures for reference just isn't the same. That's why I feel even the best mods is still missing that extra 5% that makes Kunos cars feel oh so right.

Tracks as long as you have basic elevation and corner profiles correct, it's reasonably drivable. Of course the gold standard is laser scanning, but with a decent mesh you can still create a convincing illusion of an undulating tarmac. No one's going to remember the exact location of a pebble on a racetrack after all. Trackside objects can be difficult and time consuming to get correct, but again as long as you get all the major landmarks right it's ok.

Basically I'm saying cars are harder to get correct - you either nail it or you don't. Tracks are maybe more time consuming, but turning out a decent one is a lot quicker. Also not all tracks are Nordscheleifes, but a car is a car and you need to get all physics correct.

Sadly for me though I prefer having lots of tracks than lots of cars. What would I give to see all rFactor track mods updated to AC standards...
You make excellent points about creating quality car mods. There is so much guess work going on and I suppose that's okay -- but let it be known in a .txt file or something.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back