Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 131,762 comments
I still have some thoughts from yesterday that have stuck with me, so I want to shift attention away from the "stolen pay mods" controversy, and more towards a general issue I have with historical authenticity and how AC modders need to step up (even if it's just the little things sometimes). I think what really came across as a shock when I switched my modded-sim-racing focus from GTL/GTR2 to Assetto Corsa is that while the latter game is significantly more popular, the actual attention to detail in a lot of mods -- especially earlier historic models predating, let's say, the 2000s -- can be seriously lacking compared to the deeper level of enthusiasm and accuracy that still somehow came from a smaller community. A telling case of what I'm thinking about can be displayed in just one car: the Nissan Skyline KPGC-10 GT-R. This is probably the best example I can think of when it comes to a well-known classic car that has a lot of fans and a lot of useful online resources devoted to it, to the point where an appearance of not only its road-going model but its cult-hero race-spec version is pretty much a given in modding circles.

So what's my gripe? Well, at the risk of making myself look like a fun-hating dork whining about "my immersioooooon," Here's a visual aid. From top to bottom: the real-world KPGC-10 (or at least a highly accurate replica) as it was raced in 1970s Japan, a mod created many, many years ago by Team21 for GT Legends, and the KPGC-10 that comes with the AC Legends GTL Classics pack.

View attachment 1151348
OK then. Well.

That bottom version is the most accessible and possibly the only version of the racing Skyline I can find without going on a wild goose chase of dead-link-strewn, unfinished, and private YouTube-posted mod footage. As you can see, it doesn't really bear more than a superficial "I guess that's the same source car" resemblance to the historic racing Skyline, or really to any period-correct Skyline that actually raced anywhere outside the fanciful imaginations of Need For Speed: Shift 2-era Slightly Mad Studios. Yes, the model was available, yes, it looks good, and yes, I trust that every bit of attention was paid to making it handle like a car of its specifications should. The PDF I got this screenshot from shows every indication that the team behind this mod knows the racing history of this car, and knows it well. And yet they used a model with a completely fictional widebody kit, and then took the step of giving it (and I quote) "a turbo engine delivering 417Nm @ 4000 rpm @ 1 bar of boost pressure. Maximum power is 452hp at 8000rpm" for league-friendly power-balancing purposes. When you get to that point, this 1971 "Hakosuka" might as well be a 1981 Zakspeed Capri for all it matters.

Not to pick on Bazza in particular, as his mods are actually a good example of someone knowing there's something missing in the game and working to fill that gap. In fact, it's the general sense of overall quality control and testing that goes into these mods that leads me to wonder why the AC Legends version can't go that extra step and give us a better representation of the genuine article. If I want to drive an accurate simulation of an actual historic-spec racing classic GT-R -- the kind of cars that obliterated the competition on the old banked Fuji Speedway of the early '70s -- I still, somehow, won't get it in AC despite the fact that the Team21 GT Legends mod was already meeting this standard in 2009. What is the reason for this, honestly?
Plenty of models out there... Hiding a few parts, with correct wheels and a few texture changes and you are right there. I altered the model to the last image here. I think it's pretty close.

Attachments

• __custom_showroom_1652905184.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1652905184.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 83
  • __custom_showroom_1652905116.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1652905116.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 76
  • __custom_showroom_1652905991.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1652905991.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 77
  • __custom_showroom_1652916613.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1652916613.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Plenty of models out there...
Putting a race skin on a road car model or a drift-spec version seems like the definition of "better than nothing" to me, but if that's what I'll have to settle for, sure. A link to one of these would be nice, at least, because finding these random variants has become a lot trickier ever since Assettoland went down. (Again.)

There are a few, this one would just need a roll cage and a few other tweaks. I try to practice in my free time but don't have the skills yet to change those things. I will still continue to try to learn what I can in meantime though and appreciate what is already available.

preview.jpg

Link was shared on this forum in the past

And here is the skin

Last edited:
I still have some thoughts from yesterday that have stuck with me, so I want to shift attention away from the "stolen pay mods" controversy, and more towards a general issue I have with historical authenticity and how AC modders need to step up (even if it's just the little things sometimes). I think what really came across as a shock when I switched my modded-sim-racing focus from GTL/GTR2 to Assetto Corsa is that while the latter game is significantly more popular, the actual attention to detail in a lot of mods -- especially earlier historic models predating, let's say, the 2000s -- can be seriously lacking compared to the deeper level of enthusiasm and accuracy that still somehow came from a smaller community. A telling case of what I'm thinking about can be displayed in just one car: the Nissan Skyline KPGC-10 GT-R. This is probably the best example I can think of when it comes to a well-known classic car that has a lot of fans and a lot of useful online resources devoted to it, to the point where an appearance of not only its road-going model but its cult-hero race-spec version is pretty much a given in modding circles.

So what's my gripe? Well, at the risk of making myself look like a fun-hating dork whining about "my immersioooooon," Here's a visual aid. From top to bottom: the real-world KPGC-10 (or at least a highly accurate replica) as it was raced in 1970s Japan, a mod created many, many years ago by Team21 for GT Legends, and the KPGC-10 that comes with the AC Legends GTL Classics pack.

View attachment 1151348
OK then. Well.

That bottom version is the most accessible and possibly the only version of the racing Skyline I can find without going on a wild goose chase of dead-link-strewn, unfinished, and private YouTube-posted mod footage. As you can see, it doesn't really bear more than a superficial "I guess that's the same source car" resemblance to the historic racing Skyline, or really to any period-correct Skyline that actually raced anywhere outside the fanciful imaginations of Need For Speed: Shift 2-era Slightly Mad Studios. Yes, the model was available, yes, it looks good, and yes, I trust that every bit of attention was paid to making it handle like a car of its specifications should. The PDF I got this screenshot from shows every indication that the team behind this mod knows the racing history of this car, and knows it well. And yet they used a model with a completely fictional widebody kit, and then took the step of giving it (and I quote) "a turbo engine delivering 417Nm @ 4000 rpm @ 1 bar of boost pressure. Maximum power is 452hp at 8000rpm" for league-friendly power-balancing purposes. When you get to that point, this 1971 "Hakosuka" might as well be a 1981 Zakspeed Capri for all it matters.

Not to pick on Bazza in particular, as his mods are actually a good example of someone knowing there's something missing in the game and working to fill that gap. In fact, it's the general sense of overall quality control and testing that goes into these mods that leads me to wonder why the AC Legends version can't go that extra step and give us a better representation of the genuine article. If I want to drive an accurate simulation of an actual historic-spec racing classic GT-R -- the kind of cars that obliterated the competition on the old banked Fuji Speedway of the early '70s -- I still, somehow, won't get it in AC despite the fact that the Team21 GT Legends mod was already meeting this standard in 2009. What is the reason for this, honestly?

I thought I'd let you get it all out of your system. Is this the car you're looking for?

I thought I'd let you get it all out of your system. Is this the car you're looking for?

Sadly, this is kind of what I meant by "wild goose chase" searches, since the mod this video description appears to link to is to a site that is either dead or otherwise somehow inaccessible to me.

EDIT: unless this is the same one, and even then, I'm getting an error trying to download it based on some adfly trickery

Last edited:
Sadly, this is kind of what I meant by "wild goose chase" searches, since the mod this video description appears to link to is to a site that is either dead or otherwise somehow inaccessible to me.

EDIT: unless this is the same one

Yes, there are two links to the car in the video. One is dead, that's the other. It's quite an old mod, so it looks like some of the links there have expired.
Fortunately the link to the lights update still works.

For another link, try here. Grab the skins and update from that video though.

Last edited:
There are a few, this one would just need a roll cage and a few other tweaks. I try to practice in my free time but don't have the skills yet to change those things. I will still continue to try to learn what I can in meantime though and appreciate what is already available.

View attachment 1151420

And here is the skin

Shame the driver's hands look like they've been fed through a garbage disposal. Anyone got a fixed version, maybe with a shifting animation too?
(and wipers)
(and LODs)

Last edited:

View attachment 1151420

And here is the skin

Cool, that's a nice bit of progress, and I'm willing to suspend a bit of disbelief about a lack of roll cage / presence of bumpers / etc. if it's a WIP and drives well enough. I don't drive with visible hands on the wheel, either, so that's one less thing for me to worry about (though that's something someone should get around to fixing, sure).

I must be asking something that is incredibly un-knowable, or I did something that makes everyone ignore my query, on this site and elsewhere.

I am trying to do the 3 liveries for the Peugeot 905. It requires that each skin have its own indicator light (centered below the windshield) in a different color. I can do all this (in the pic), and have done this by adjusting lights.ini and changing the glass color using a different colored texture. I use 3 separate iterations of the car and all is well.
But I should be able to make those same changes on the fly, using an external config (ext_config.ini) in each skin directory shouldn't I? I'm doing it that way to have a front-winged and a non-front-winged skin, so why not the lights?

lights.ini says:

[LIGHT_4]
NAME=peu_3_905evo_93_lod0_body_textured_reflector_ ; hood indicator light - this works
COLOR=60,5,5 ; final to be 60,5,5

My simple perception says I should be able to use the same code in the ext_config.ini to override that color but I don't understand how to package it there. I believe this is my problem. (I have programmed in C and assembler back in the 6502/68020 days, but my brain is probably 50% of what it was then and my auto-understanding of iNipp is failing me ;)

The same code in ext_config.ini doesn't change anything. If I take the statement out of lights.in and put it in ext_config.ini, nothing happens. I suspect I need to include something else, but what?

If no-one can help me on this, I can't really make everyone create 3 separate versions of the car so they can use the 3 skins... But I will accept this failure and do that for myself, and move on.

Come on gang. What am I missing? Teach me to fish :) (I will fill your plate endlessly!)

__custom_showroom_1652553080.jpg

But I'll keep doing what I can :) I slapped these 3 skins together from existing skins, for the Mac 10 car... or the ACTK car, or the Mac10 car with the ACTK data (to get the wipers)... I forget which :) If you want the license plates, delete the ext_config.ini in the skins folder.

EDIT: (pared skins down to just the 3)

914-6x3.jpg

Attachments

• porsche_914-6_gt-3skins.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I must be asking something that is incredibly un-knowable, or I did something that makes everyone ignore my query, on this site and elsewhere.

I am trying to do the 3 liveries for the Peugeot 905. It requires that each skin have its own indicator light (centered below the windshield) in a different color. I can do all this (in the pic), and have done this by adjusting lights.ini and changing the glass color using a different colored texture. I use 3 separate iterations of the car and all is well.
But I should be able to make those same changes on the fly, using an external config (ext_config.ini) in each skin directory shouldn't I? I'm doing it that way to have a front-winged and a non-front-winged skin, so why not the lights?

lights.ini says:

[LIGHT_4]
NAME=peu_3_905evo_93_lod0_body_textured_reflector_ ; hood indicator light - this works
COLOR=60,5,5 ; final to be 60,5,5

My simple perception says I should be able to use the same code in the ext_config.ini to override that color but I don't understand how to package it there. I believe this is my problem. (I have programmed in C and assembler back in the 6502/68020 days, but my brain is probably 50% of what it was then and my auto-understanding of iNipp is failing me ;)

The same code in ext_config.ini doesn't change anything. If I take the statement out of lights.in and put it in ext_config.ini, nothing happens. I suspect I need to include something else, but what?

If no-one can help me on this, I can't really make everyone create 3 separate versions of the car so they can use the 3 skins... But I will accept this failure and do that for myself, and move on.

Come on gang. What am I missing? Teach me to fish :) (I will fill your plate endlessly!)

View attachment 1151444
You can't copy and paste the lights.ini code into ext_config, they are different. The extension config is detailed here in great depth even though a lot is still missing https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/wiki

Have a look around the emissive sections and also scour over some premade configs for cars in here https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/tree/master/config/cars/kunos

Last edited:
You can't copy and paste the lights.ini code into ext_config, they are different. The extension config is detailed here in great depth even though a lot is still missing https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/wiki

Have a look around the emissive sections and also scour over some premade configs for cars in here https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/tree/master/config/cars/kunos
Thanks norms... I have been pouring over all the github stuff, but nowhere does it make an explicit distinction between lights.ini and ext_config.ini and what's different. That would be too easy. There doesn't seem to be any reference to ext_config.ini at all. I will dig through those cars though. (notable that they are all loaded/.ini type files, not ext_config.ini) Hadn't found anything in all the other cars I looked at. I'm just a bit burned out looking. I will commence again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cool, that's a nice bit of progress, and I'm willing to suspend a bit of disbelief about a lack of roll cage / presence of bumpers / etc. if it's a WIP and drives well enough. I don't drive with visible hands on the wheel, either, so that's one less thing for me to worry about (though that's something someone should get around to fixing, sure).
I will fix all those little bits. Be exact on all the changes you need please.

UPDATE: Guess I should have looked to see that it's encrypted. Stupid as we now sit with something that is half correct.

Last edited:

EDIT: unless this is the same one, and even then, I'm getting an error trying to download it based on some adfly trickery

we need to find this model - dw_nissan_skyline_c10. can anyone share it please? I can update from there.

Last edited:
you can find one here : https://www.mediafire.com/file/rj61a5bqg5t6wmx/bmw_e46_m3_CSL.rar/file

don't know where it was from originally
I added some skins myself, but it's only 4 star in my book , as it lacks a digital instruments.ini file
Anyone knows how to create one (to show current gear) ?
Not the best but it exists :

Thanks chaps I really appreciate it 👍

I think the car from jac0 is just a bit more interesting to drive both under braking and out of corners especially with traction off, I thank you both for taking the time to post the links for me.

Note that when I selected one car to download, I got 16 cars... (about 1.8 GB). (1 or 2 more than shown here)
Plenty of Japanese oddities and older cars from here.

https://ac.totsugeki.com/

Tons of cars to go through, most links work and a nicely curated site with info on each car. Got some cracking cars from here so far.

16Cars.jpg

Last edited:
Coming soon... ;)

- 2022 billboards and animated screens

- video screens

- all new grass and sideline concrete

- new green kerbs with physics

- signs and markers with physics

- crowds in grandstands and standing (in their actual location)

- dynamic country flags

- and more...

Preview version is available now at Patreon/pyyer

Final version will be available at RD on friday or saturday depending on the actual track updates

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_ferrari_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-54-58.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_ferrari_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-56-49.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_renault_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-56-9.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_renault_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-56-29.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_renault_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-57-21.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_renault_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-57-52.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_renault_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-8-58-36.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_x_evo_ferrari_ks_barcelona_19-4-122-9-1-51.jpg

Last edited:
we need to find this model - dw_nissan_skyline_c10. can anyone share it please? I can update from there.
Drift Workshop Official car pack: (link found on https://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/135511913383784991/)
drift_workshop_official_pack.JPG

Wipers for the nissan_skyline_gtr_hakosuka: https://www.mediafire.com/file/tki12f5msf52931/nissan_skyline_gtr_hakosuka.ini/file

Adding a roll cage to the encrypted mod can be achieved via MODEL_REPLACEMENT, see attached ext_config with rollcage.kn5:
rollcage01.JPGrollcage02.JPG

Attachments

• nissan_skyline_gtr_hakosuka_rollcage.zip
    21 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Coming soon... ;)

- 2022 billboards and animated screens

- video screens

- all new grass and sideline concrete

- new green kerbs with physics

- signs and markers with physics

- crowds in grandstands and standing (in their actual location)

- dynamic country flags

- and more...

Preview version is available now at Patreon/pyyer

Final version will be available at RD on friday or saturday depending on the actual track updates

Damn this is cool. Looking forward to this.

Any chances of getting the new turn 10 using the assets from Moto GP or is that not feasible given the timeframe?

"If you don't like it, make one yourself" is easier said than done, and "be thankful for what you've got" makes for a better song than a way to improve things. Believe me, if this was the kind of hobby I could commit an extra 30 hours a week to just so I can learn how to make a computer car seem more like the historically detailed mods I remember people used to regularly make for older, less popular games, that's what I'd be doing instead of just venting here. (Seriously, I looked at A&M / brotto marco's modding manual upthread and came to the conclusion it would be easier for me to build an actual Caterham in my garage.) I'm glad there are some people out there who actually are putting in the time and the work to get things right, but those aren't the people I'm complaining about.

The problem is that there are modders who have already done the studying themselves, who do know how to make detailed mods, who put dozens if not hundreds of hours into a project for the most-played and most-widespread moddable racing sim since rFactor if not of all time -- and the end result is a frankencar that is somehow less true-to-life than its equivalent from a "simcade" like Forza or GT. Talented and hardworking they might be, but they're still overlooking or glossing over things that a previous generation of modders, who also put out their work for free, actually paid close attention to in order to make our goofy little "lookit me, I'm Mark Donohue / Ayrton Senna / Colin McRae" dreams come at least virtually true. I don't need to be a Michelin chef to be disappointed when I'm served a meal that tastes weird or gives me bathroom agony, and I don't need to be Pessio to look at a rip from another game, complete with Zipanol livery, and wonder if it's even partway committed to replicating the driving experience. Literally every message board I've read asking for car mod recommendations comes with at least a couple comments saying "just stick to RaceDepartment, everything else is trash," and it doesn't have to be this way.
Not my thing usually to dive into those sort of argument if it is not just for personal fun, but like I said, It is not about you really, more about the recent and quite more and more frequent vibe of "what others do is trash" thing. At start it's a "meh okay then, who cares" but when it quite flood the feed it becomes annoying. My apologies for the tone, it was harsher than it should have been.

Like @Rodger Davies said, about that particular Skyline from Bazza, it was kind of the point of it being "semi-fictional", sort of a What if. If this specific car is a "missing spot" in the field of known mods, well it's a miss, but it is also an opportunity on the positive side. And look, there is already a page worth of people who wants it to happen... :cheers: Not my Cup of tea to replicate historic skins, but I can help too.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back