Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Who is the only player to score in a Manchester, Merseyside and Glasgow derby?

Goddammit, I knew that one too...

Michael Ball also played in the 3 derbys but never scored in them all.

As did Craig Bellamy.

---

Famine's question: Luther Blissett? His only goals for England were a debut hattrick.

That's a pretty good shout - he played for Watford in all four divisions from the bottom up but (and I looked it up) his first Hornets hat-trick came in 1982 against Sunderland in Division 1.

The player is, for reference, still active and didn't play for England (I think he'd have had eligibility through his father, but wasn't born in England).

Hmm. Not English could still mean British and Irish Isles, but a continental who was prolific in all four divisions and at international? Doubtful.

Hmm. Robert Earnshaw.

Yep!

He scored a Div3 hat-trick for Cardiff against Torquay in 2000, his first Div2 hat-trick for Cardiff against QPR in 2002, his first Div1 hat-trick for Cardiff against Gillingham in 2003, a League Cup hat-trick for Cardiff against Boston in 2002, and FA Cup hat-trick for Cardiff against Brizzle Rovers in 2000 and an International hat-trick for Wales against Scotland in 2004. His final flourish was for West Brom in the Premiership (as was) in 2005 - though he's scored another hat-trick since then.

Still at Cardiff City now. I say "still". I mean for the third time.

Hoho, well thought out by yours truly.

And for an easy point, name the only team out of the top four divisions to NOT contain any letters of the word 'mackerel'.

Standard rules; excluding AFC/FC.

It's really, really sad that I already know this one - they did well this year - but I'll skip it so other people can ask questions :D

I did say it was easy. I knew you'd know it...

If you've ever done football trivia on a pub quiz, you should know this.

Awesome.

Four goalkeepers have scored goals in the Premier League. Name them and who they scored against. (Excluding own goals, obviously)

Brad Friedel vs. Charlton Athletic (Charlton went and scored from the kick-off. Ha!)
Paul Robinson vs. Watford
Tim Howard vs. Bolton Wanderers
Peter Schmeichel vs. Everton

Someone else take my turn.

Christian Dailly is to Scotland as who is to England.

I shall guess at Joe Hart. Both have been caught swearing on camera during international duty - Dailly aiming a tirade at diving Germans and Hart telling a cameraman to "Piss off".

But that really is a stab in the dark :lol:

He got sent off for... something. Probably a second bookable. He responded by yelling obscenities at the referee, who showed him a second red. As he stormed off he pulled a corner flag up - don't know if it was triangular - and hurled it away, earning himself another red card.

The SFA has a peculiar Penalty Point system for discipline. He effectively received 5 penalty points for one yellow card, 1 penalty point for the second (earning a red), 8 penalty points for a red card for "offensive, insulting or abusive language" and another 8 penalty points for the equivalent offence of abusing the corner flag - 22 penalty points in one game. I think he managed a nine game ban for that.

And Barton only got six visible points against City... (Ref's bookings)

But got a (nine?) game ban. Not saying he doesn't deserve it, just pointing it out.

If Jason Lee ever played for England, the manager of the time needs to be shot.

Christian Dailly is to Scotland as who is to England.

Something to do with the number of caps he won? Is Dailly like, the 8th or 9th most capped player for Scotland?

It's probably wrong, but going along those lines does he have the same number of caps as... Graeme Le Saux?

I hope Liquid's right..

This question is already gone on too long :(

Not Joe Hart or Jason "He's got a pineapple on his head" Lee

Something to do with the number of caps he won? Is Dailly like, the 8th or 9th most capped player for Scotland?
Kind of, but not full caps.

Dailly holds a Scottish record for something to do with a part of the National team. Who holds that record for England?

If no one gets it, I'll tell you what the record is later.

Most appearances as a substitute? That'll be someone like Emile Heskey or... err... I unno. Chris Woods when Shilton/Seamen were sent off?

Record U-21 caps? James Milner holds the English record, but I don't know how many he has.

Record U-21 caps? James Milner holds the English record, but I don't know how many he has.
Winnar!

At the time Dailly held the world record for U-21 caps with 34 appearances.

Liquid
Woof.

Which team has had the best debut season in the Premier League?

Say for example, would Newcastle this year count as they've already been in the EPL before?

Or and my guess is Derby a few years ago. 7 points.

Debut season. Their first season. But well thought out.

Derby? We're looking for the best season, not the worst! They were awful.

Back