Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
You're part of the way there - none of those players has ever played any part of a full international match.

Despite being in more than one full squad?

Or, they've been in a Euro/WC squad and never played a game?

despite captaining the U-21s?

Despite being in more than one full squad?

Or, they've been in a Euro/WC squad and never played a game?

No, no and no.

Please note that all are Premier League footballers who've never played in a full international game. That's not the actual answer - there would be many others - but it's part of the way there. Mikel Arteta, for example, has played for Rangers, Real Sociedad, Paris St. Germain and Barcelona B before coming to the Premier League...

They've all been managed by a player who had international experience whilst not getting picked themselves.

They've also all played for London based clubs, if we accept Luton at a stretch...

Is it that all four have been considered but turned down/ineligable for other nations?

Curtis Davies - Sierra Leone
Nigel Reo-Coker - Sierra Leone
Dean Richards - Jamaica (Not definite on the country)
Mikel Arteta - England

Hurr. Cool, but not dubious.

The earlier - and less dubious - list also contained Kevin Davies until he made a full England appearance in 2010, Dean Ashton until he made a full England appearance in 2008 and Carl Cort until he made a full appearance for Guyana last year...

I've also just spotted that Anton Ferdinand can be added to the present - and more dubious - list :D

Carl Cort plays for Guyana? Seriously, they must be desperate.

U-21 captains who never made appearances at international level. Although the Arteta is throwing this answer a little bit. Arteta was with Rangers at the time...

daan already said that.

I'll give you another part of the answer. The magic word is "Eight".

Okay, I looked it up and now I know but that's not fair. But I'm a sucker for not getting it...

Blast.

Yes it is Dr. Factoid. The way this thread is going, you're going to be to this thread what Dotini is to the Motorsports one...

It's actually a really old pub quiz question. The answers were originally Kevin Davies, Dean Ashton, Carl Cort, Nigel Reo-Coker and Dean Richards - but Cort, Davies and Ashton took themselves out by playing for Guyana (in November 2011) and England (though the original question was "for England", rather than simply "uncapped", so Cort would still count :lol: ).

Since they've been replaced by "bigger" names like Arteta, Anton Ferdinand and Curtis Davies it seemed appropriate to update it.

But then you think of Francis Jeffers and just wonder "HOW?!".

Anyway, I'll stop discussing the question. I won't answer it because I so totally cheated. Keep guessing guys, it's a good one...

Jeffers had a good spell at Wednesday. Particularly that header against biggest-pitch-in-the-league Port Vale.

Remember that time he got himself tranfer listed? Was it because he heabutted a player? I'm honestly not quite sure.

I just looked it up too. I'd never have thought of that, but the original question does ring a bell.

Remember that time he got himself tranfer listed? Was it because he heabutted a player? I'm honestly not quite sure.

That was the header against Port Vale :D

Incidentally, the current record holders - thus also in the list - are David de Gea (outright) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (outfield), but that may change in the summer.

Is it that they all have a sibling that's made the international team?

Anton Ferdinand - Rio Ferdinand
Curtis Davies - Kevin Davies

Curtis isn't Kevin's sibling - Kevin is from Sheffield and white, Curtis is from Leytonstone and black - and it would be nonsensical if Kevin was part of the original question but removed when he played in 2010 while Curtis has never done so...

I'll give the answer in an hour if no-one's got it :D

Famine
Curtis isn't Kevin's sibling - Kevin is from Sheffield and white, Curtis is from Leytonstone and black - and it would be nonsensical if Kevin was part of the original question but removed when he played in 2010 while Curtis has never done so...

I'll give the answer in an hour if no-one's got it :D

I had to have a shot at it;)

I remember somebody saying it had something to do with 8, and none of them ever having a full appearance, so maybe the came on 8 times?

Maybe I'm looking too much into this..

You're not thinking dubious enough.

They've played no part in any full internationals. This includes substitute appearances - or even being named on the bench.

I don't quite know where I'm getting this but are they all eligible to play international football for 3 different countries?

No. That's not very dubious. Dean Richards isn't eligible to play for anyone anyway because he's dead...

So far we have "They are all Premier League footballers who (something to do with eight) but haven't played any part of any full international match."

They all wore number 8 when they were on the U-21 team?

I'm running out of ideas....

They all played 80 minutes of U21 football, whist wearing 8, and only having played 8 matches.
/Dubious

They all gorged themselves on After Eights after being left out of yet another international squad.

Latest Posts

Back