Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
They all had a parrot sitting on their shoulder shouting, "pieces of eight"

It's been an hour.. Please Famine.........

I think it's time for Famine to put us out of our misery...

I'm going to have to put me out of my own misery...

They are all Premier League footballers who cost their clubs £8m or more in transfer fees, but haven't played any part of any full international match.

De Gea may play in the summer (he's in the squad for the May international friendlies), but as yet hasn't played any part of an international game despite costing £17m. Oxlade-Chamberlain has been named in the Euro 2012 squad but hasn't made a single appeareance yet at £12m-15m. Mikel Arteta hasn't made it into a squad yet, at £10m. Curtis Davies' transfer to Villa cost £8-10m, Anton Ferdinand's transfer to Sunderland was £8m, Dean Richards went to Spurs for £8.1m and Nigel Reo-Coker ended up at Villa for £8.5m.

New question: What ENGLISH league clubs are the furthest North, South, East and West?

Does Plymouth Argyle count as being both the most Western and Southern?

I think east would be Ipswich Town or Norwich City and north would be... Carlisle United?

Plymouth for south and west no?
Norwich for east and Newcastle for north?

Two posts, three correct answers :D

Plymouth for south and west no?
Norwich for east and Newcastle for north?

One post, four correct answers!

Yes, Argyle are both the most westerly and southerly, Norwich are the most easterly and Newcastle are the northernmost.

Woo got something right :D

Why have some clubs got square flags on their corner posts and some have triangular flags on them?

This shouldn't be that easy I hope.

Good question. Not immediately obvious...

Odd or even numbered club out of the 92 League teams?

Liquid
Good question. Not immediately obvious...

Odd or even numbered club out of the 92 League teams?

Nope, then they would have to change them every game or so depending on league position.

I did mean at the start of the season, but good point.

Is it... a trick question and it's down to club policy?

But the shape of the corner flag is either a triangle or square. That, I believe, is the what Matty was getting at.

Liquid
I did mean at the start of the season, but good point.

Is it... a trick question and it's down to club policy?

Nope, it's a legit reasoning to why they have two distinct flag shapes.

Ross
Some have striped/hooped/chequered shirts and some are solid colours.

Corner flags is what I was on about.

Liquid
But the shape of the corner flag is either a triangle or square. That, I believe, is the what Matty was getting at.

Exactly.

Enjoy! :sly:

Might have been having a bit of a feminine moment but I was saying that the clubs who have the striped etc. shirts have one shape corner flag and the solid colour shirts have the other type.

Hmm, tough one...

It's got to be something that sets them apart from others, so I'm gonna guess they've won something? The league at a guess?

Ross
Might have been having a bit of a feminine moment but I was saying that the clubs who have the striped etc. shirts have one shape corner flag and the solid colour shirts have the other type.

Nope that's not it.

Ferrari_458
Hmm, tough one...

It's got to be something that sets them apart from others, so I'm gonna guess they've won something? The league at a guess?

Not quiet.

Liquid
Okay... SOMETHING ABOUT NEVER HAVING BEEN RELEGATED FROM THE LEAGUE SYSTEM?

Nope, absolutely nothing to do with the league system.

Ferrari_458
So it was close? FA Cup then?

Yes.

Winners of the FA cup have triangular corner flags whereas non-winners have square flags.

Yes.

Winners of the FA cup have triangular corner flags whereas non-winners have square flags.

Woo :) I assume it is my go then..

Who is the only player to score in a Manchester, Merseyside and Glasgow derby?

Ferrari_458
Woo :) I assume it is my go then..

Who is the only player to score in a Manchester, Merseyside and Glasgow derby?

Steve McManahon?

Celtic, Liverpool and City?

I was going to go for Andrei Kanchelskis - who's played for four (maybe five - I can't remember if he played for Liverpool) of the teams :lol:

Michael Ball also played in the 3 derbys but never scored in them all.

Oh, and the pedant in me says it's an "Old Firm" derby, not a Glasgow one. A Glasgow derby could be Partick Thistle vs Queens Park.

ORLY? That was a complete guess :D

Only one player has scored a hat-trick in all of the top 4 English divisions, the League Cup, the FA Cup and while playing for their country. Who is he?

Nice guess - no, he's English and never played for England.

He's a great quiz question though - he was once sent off three times in ONE MATCH...

Back