Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Longest career by an outfield player without a goal?

Correct!

Frank Womack is a name very few of you will have heard of; he was a defender for Birmingham City between 1908-1929 and played a few additional games for Torquay United in 1929 but he played in 511 league games as a professional and didn't score a single goal which is the record number of games for an outfielder.

The two players mentioned, Rob Jones and Des Walker, are more recent players who are famous for not scoring but Walker scored just one goal in his career (for Forest, 0 goals for Wednesday or Sampdoria) in 660 league games and Rob Jones is tantamount to a goal machine with his heady two career goals (2 for Crewe, 0 for Liverpool) in 260 games.

Your turn.

I went to uni with a guy called Rob Jones, the jokes about him not scoring make sense now.

There are 8 players (that I know of) who have played 10 or more seasons in the premier league and spent their entire professional career at one club. Who are they?

Last edited:
Would Matt Le Tissier count? He was with Southampton in the Premiership for 10 seasons (1992/93-2001/02). He did play a handful of non-contract games for Eastleigh and Guernsey but Southampton was his only professional club.

Would Matt Le Tissier count? He was with Southampton in the Premiership for 10 seasons (1992/93-2001/02). He did play a handful of non-contract games for Eastleigh and Guernsey but Southampton was his only professional club.
Well the reason I said professional was because Carragher for instance played for Everton in the youth team. Since Le Tissier played for those 2 later on in his career I would assume he was still a pro. He's not on my list is the simple answer but it's debatable.

Gabriel Agbonlahor? Think he started at Villa in 2003/04 about 12 years ago now but part of me believes he may have had a loan spell early in his career.

Back