Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Just a quickie to keep us going. What makes this year's Scottish cup final unique?

Since the Welsh league was started in 1992/93, there has been one Welsh Cup final where the two teams were outside the top flight; the 1994/95 final which also happened to be the last year that Welsh teams in the English system were eligible for the cup.

Cardiff had been in the previous two finals since the League of Wales started, against top flight opposition, but on this day Wrexham beat Cardiff 2-0.

Out of the 12 founding members of the Football League, which is the only club which no longer exists?

I want to say it was a name that revolved around an occupation (workers, miners...), but have no clue any further. Going to google it for myself...

I want to say it was a name that revolved around an occupation (workers, miners...), but have no clue any further. Going to google it for myself...

There is a club in the Football League now who are unrelated to the club in question but they share a similar name due to coming from the same town.

The Football League, as with professional rugby, was very much a Northern thing. The team we're looking for is from the land of pies and pasties.

I actually know this one but only because I was reading about it fairly recently while parousing the 'net. I held back to give everyone else a chance, partly because I can't be bothered researching the next question. :indiff:
I think there's a small chance that it's somewhere like Bradford before Bradford City were formed, or there are some other possibilities similar to that.

90% sure it's Accrington though.

90% sure it's Accrington though.

It is Accrington FC. The founding members of the original 1888-89 Football League were:

Accrington
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Burnley
Derby County
Everton
Notts County
Preston North End
Stoke
West Bromwich Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers

The only one of those clubs no longer in existence is Accrington, who went bust in 1896 and never reformed. Accrington FC is not to be confused with Accrington Stanley, which was a completely separate club founded in 1891 whilst Accrington FC were still around.

The first Accrington Stanley even went bust itself in 1966. Two years after that, the current Accrington Stanley club was founded.

Well I think the opening ceremony and the final were both in LA, I think the stadium was called The LA Colisium, and I think there was a venue in New York called The Giants Stadium.

I think the stadium from either Uni of Michigan or Michigan State was used. Also think there were games in Atlanta and Miami.

Well I think the opening ceremony and the final were both in LA, I think the stadium was called The LA Colisium, and I think there was a venue in New York called The Giants Stadium.
Giants Stadium is correct, near New York but actually somewhere in New Jersey.

The Rose Bowl in Pasadena definitely had games in 1994.
I'll also guess Mile High Stadium in Denver.
The Rose Bowl in Pasadena is correct & was the closest to LA of all the stadia used.
Nothing in Denver.

I think the stadium from either Uni of Michigan or Michigan State was used. Also think there were games in Atlanta and Miami.
There was a stadium used in Michigan but not the home of a college/university club.
No to Atlanta & Miami.

Detroit's Ford Field would be one then. I'd also hazard a guess that Chicago's Soldier Field was also present.
I feel fairly sure that stadiums in Dallas and Washington D.C. will have been in, maybe Phoenix too. But the names for them at the time escape me. What about San Francisco's Candlestick Park?
And since there's room for one more, how about Tampa?

Hmmm, Philadelphia?
No.

Detroit's Ford Field would be one then.
One of them is near to Detroit but Ford Field opened in 2002.

Chicago's Soldier Field
Yes. Diana Ross missed a penalty there.

Yes to Dallas.

Washington D.C.
Yes.

maybe Phoenix too.
No.

San Francisco's Candlestick Park?
There's one near San Francisco. Candlestick Park is incorrect.

how about Tampa?
No.

This was before the MLS was started then. I would be lying if I even knew the MLS stadia; I think many of them are ground shares and not soccer-specific.

Just going off MLS teams who might have had a big stadium in the mid-90s.... Kansas City? There must have been one in Texas or New Mexico, too. Somewhere really hot. I've got that Ireland game in mind where John Aldridge and Jack Charlton are calling the match officials :censored:s. Houston, perhaps?

This was before the MLS was started then. I would be lying if I even knew the MLS stadia; I think many of them are ground shares and not soccer-specific.

Just going off MLS teams who might have had a big stadium in the mid-90s.... Kansas City? There must have been one in Texas or New Mexico, too. Somewhere really hot. I've got that Ireland game in mind where John Aldridge and Jack Charlton are calling the match officials :censored:s. Houston, perhaps?
The only one in Texas was the one in Dallas.
None of your other guesses are correct.

Latest Posts

Back