Audi Unveils New A8, Brings 'Level 3' Autonomous Driving

I'm a little confused, what happens when the traffic clears and everyone is going over 37 and you're sitting in the back with your legs up?

I can't say I like the cross-boot taillight solution they've come up with this one. It works fine with some cars, but something about the way it's implemented on the A8 makes it look a tad bit cheap and less prestigious than what a luxury limo should.

I'm a little confused, what happens when the traffic clears and everyone is going over 37 and you're sitting in the back with your legs up?
You stay at 37. You can wave to the paupers driving their own cars as they flash past though.

So who pays the insurance on a car that drives itself? (because I will not pay insurance for someone else, why would I do it for AI?)

So who pays the insurance on a car that drives itself? (because I will not pay insurance for someone else, why would I do it for AI?)
At the moment, with Level 2 autonomy (car will drive itself, needs driver present and ready to take over at all times), the driver does. The driver is always responsible for that car.

With Level 5 autonomy (car is exclusively autonomous, no driver controls are needed and may not be fitted), the software is doing the driving and that means that the company that wrote the software is liable.

The Audi is Level 3 (car will drive itself conditionally, driver is not required) and that complicates things quite a bit. I'd suggest that as the car is autonomous, the company that wrote the software is liable, but only during autonomous driving modes - and the driver cannot be liable even if he doesn't take control in a situation where a crash is about to occur. However the driver will be liable while he is driving and also if any crash occurs because he has taken control. Chances are that you'd see an insurance discount for a car you aren't driving some of the time - and there may be a case for 'black box' type insurance that bills you per mile that you drive yourself. The conditional requirements for autonomy on the Audi are laughably small though, so it's likely to be a car you almost never have in autonomous mode.

Level 4 autonomy is like Level 5, but the car has defined operating areas where it is capable of full autonomy and areas where it is not and you are required to drive. I think the same will probably apply as it does for Level 3.

At the moment, with Level 2 autonomy (car will drive itself, needs driver present and ready to take over at all times), the driver does. The driver is always responsible for that car.

With Level 5 autonomy (car is exclusively autonomous, no driver controls are needed and may not be fitted), the software is doing the driving and that means that the company that wrote the software is liable.

The Audi is Level 3 (car will drive itself conditionally, driver is not required) and that complicates things quite a bit. I'd suggest that as the car is autonomous, the company that wrote the software is liable, but only during autonomous driving modes - and the driver cannot be liable even if he doesn't take control in a situation where a crash is about to occur. However the driver will be liable while he is driving and also if any crash occurs because he has taken control. Chances are that you'd see an insurance discount for a car you aren't driving some of the time - and there may be a case for 'black box' type insurance that bills you per mile that you drive yourself. The conditional requirements for autonomy on the Audi are laughably small though, so it's likely to be a car you almost never have in autonomous mode.

Level 4 autonomy is like Level 5, but the car has defined operating areas where it is capable of full autonomy and areas where it is not and you are required to drive. I think the same will probably apply as it does for Level 3.

I'm glad to see they are taking that issue seriously.
I don't keep up with self-driving cars but if I can get out of insurance payments it might be worth moving to luxury and drop the fun side of driving. Thanks for the break-down.

I'm glad to see they are taking that issue seriously.
I don't keep up with self-driving cars but if I can get out of insurance payments it might be worth moving to luxury and drop the fun side of driving. Thanks for the break-down.

Here in Colorado, we insure cars rather than drivers. I'm not saying that's a great idea, but I'm also not sure I like the idea of relying on Tesla to admit that their autopilot botched something to get paid back for my busted car.

Facelifted A8 unveiled, featuring most notably a larger front grille similar to that of the new Horch A8, more chrome on the exterior, new color options, the addition of the S Line package (available for the first time in an A8), plus more technology inside the luxurious cabin.

1635873314717.png

1635873327694.png

A8 S-Line:

1635873378337.png

1635873394246.png

1635873412340.png

Last edited:
Back