Audi VS. BMW

  • Thread starter Thread starter audiracing
  • 172 comments
  • 9,015 views
Originally posted by MMMPWR
well BMW has concentrated on road racing for the longest of times and Audi started on dirt with the Quattro.
Don't forget about the R8, that's road racing.
Originally posted by Quattro
I'm a member at RS6.com forum and there have been quite some video's about that comparison(rs6-m5). RS6 simply is faster.
[/B]
Another victory for audi.
 
Originally posted by audiracing

Another victory for audi.

Yeah - except it isn't faster. They're both limited to 155mph. Everybody agrees the RS6 is quicker, but that doesn't mean victory for Audi, especially when the BMW is both $30k cheaper and more involving.
 
Originally posted by M5Power
The 545 is the better car, but not better enough to justify its price, which is $15,300 (!!) more than an M45.

I'd spend the extra $ on the 545i. Dynamic drive completely, utterly puts the smack down on traditional sway bars. The M45 would feel like a snail on prozac compared the a sport-optioned 5er.


Originally posted by M5Power
But again, most drivers aren't driving purists who drive for pleasure, so why pay more for the BMW?

Going with this logic, most drivers don't need Audis either. They can just buy an Accord, save themselves a bundle and be done with it.


Originally posted by M5Power
No, I'm just tired of everybody taking such offence when I say a 'non-drivers' car' is better than a supposed 'drivers' car'. Most people don't care about driving experience nearly as much as they care about price, style, size, reliability, etc.

News flash, dude. You're at a forum filled with sports car nuts. What did you expect?

Originally posted by M5Power
Right, I forgot - you only do the comparisons that affect you. :p

Absolutely. I can only speak for my own needs. I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone else --unlike some people around here :p :lol:


///M-Spec
 
Originally posted by M5Power
Yeah - except it isn't faster. They're both limited to 155mph. Everybody agrees the RS6 is quicker, but that doesn't mean victory for Audi, especially when the BMW is both $30k cheaper and more involving.

$30k cheaper???

RS6 sedan: £57,705
M5 sedan: £52,005

Which is £5,700. Or £9,200 if you add the official Audi 60bhp upgrade to take the car to 510bhp!
 
i hate specs. i really hate specs. any old fool on this board always just brings up the specs.

my car has 220ish hp. newer m3s have 240-333hp and the torque of an i6. it means ****. they are different cars, i am not going to say which is better, but i will say their differences arent revealed through specs.

and oh yea, bmws are better.
 
The Audi is a much better car then the BMW... the pld Bmw M5, M3, and 740.... the new Bmw where a big letdown because of Bengal's g#d D%#b let down to all Bmw fans....But all in all i think that Bmw might come back after a while.... but still in the past Bmw ruled as the raining champion as the Big BoY On Campus.... but for the mean time the Audi is the raining champion in his class....
 
That's a funny post for a man who has three BMWs in his list of favourite cars. (Can you put all the cars on one line by the way? Your sig is beyond the 6-line limit)

advanR, you're right to an extent. Everyone has different criteria for buying cars. As I've said before, the styling, internal build and quattro drivetrain will pretty much always win out for me.

But since I'm not in the market for either brand at the moment, it's all pretty much a moot point. I would also hazard a guess that may of the contributors to this thread are in a similar position to me. Specs, however, are an easy way to objectify value for money, and some of the research that Doug has done in this area shouldn't be so lightly tossed aside.
 
i kno i have 4 Bmws but i am more into cars with performance, power, and handling..... i have a M5, M3,M rodster, X5 4.6.... but i bought them because i love the performance of all of them and the feel of them.... but the new bmw that have come out are not in my best interest to own the new bmws that came out..
 
Originally posted by advanR
and i believe that is when you will see bmw is superior.

You believe we will see BMW is superior...

I realise that, so then be quiet and let people with drivers' licences make driving experience comparisons. Believe your dad, I don't care - the BMW is simply the better driver's car, and a better purchase prospect. I'm not trying to convince everybody, especially because it's so obvious

Erm, no, that would make as much sense as disalowing a potential buyer to test the product he's got his eye on... So I'll compare the cars all I want gladly. Well, ok, fine, in your opinion the BMW is simply a better driver's car... You're not trying to convince everybody, certainly doesn't look like it.
Is it so obvious? I don't think so, if it were we wouldn't be discussing this, besides, in the end none of us will have changed their opinion...

[myself]And then I summed up reasons why I think my dad is more credible than you.
No you didn't. You've no idea how many miles I drive, where I drive them, etc. You simply summed up reasons why he's credible. The truth is I don't care - believe what you wish. Not my problem.

Contradicting yourself already?

No I've got no idea about your mileage or about your qualifications to judge cars. I guess it's your defensive attitude as if to cover up for the BMW's less HP than the RS6's.

Check around these forums - I think you'll find I never make comparisons based on facts. It's always emotional knee-jerk reactions.

Nice, that's not what I meant... I meant that how well a car drives is entirely a personal opinion. You're the one that's bringing it down from the spec sheet to the driver seat, so now it has become a matter of personal tastes. And that has nothing to do with emotional knee-jerk reactions

It's why I hate it when 12-year-olds make comments about how much they love the Saleen S7, when you know their opinions of that car are only derived from magazine pictures.

Are you now suggesting I'm a 12 years old? :p


Sjees, it's just a car comparisson, no need to start taking it personal, YOU'RE not BMW and I'M not AUDI

<Z>
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
$30k cheaper???

RS6 sedan: £57,705
M5 sedan: £52,005

Which is £5,700. Or £9,200 if you add the official Audi 60bhp upgrade to take the car to 510bhp!

In the US:

RS6 (when sold) = $90200 (if you made it on to the waiting list)
M5 = $70400

Who knew M5s were so expensive? I thought it was like $59000. Nevertheless, that's $20200 to your $10100. Either you Brits are getting screwed, or you're getting a great deal. One of the two. Yep

Specs, however, are an easy way to objectify value for money, and some of the research that Doug has done in this area shouldn't be so lightly tossed aside.

People like advanR, who are performance drivers, only want to compare the drive of the cars. It works when you're comparing supercars, but when actual cars are involved, it's a lot more relevant to hear about price, power, standard features, interior size, etc. If everybody were like advanR, all soccer moms would have a V70R because it drives better than an Outback or a minivan.

Erm, no, that would make as much sense as disalowing a potential buyer to test the product he's got his eye on... So I'll compare the cars all I want gladly. Well, ok, fine, in your opinion the BMW is simply a better driver's car... You're not trying to convince everybody, certainly doesn't look like it.
Is it so obvious? I don't think so, if it were we wouldn't be discussing this, besides, in the end none of us will have changed their opinion...

What?

No I've got no idea about your mileage or about your qualifications to judge cars. I guess it's your defensive attitude as if to cover up for the BMW's less HP than the RS6's.

Good point. Incidentally, did you know the Suzuki Aerio has more horsepower than a Mazda Miata SE? I hope I'm not a Miata fan arguing against an Aerio fan, he'd win hands down. By the way, do you realise the RS6 is brand new and the M5 is five years old? Do you also realise that you only can use the horsepower argument (you conveniently can't compare driving experience as you aren't old enough to drive - drat!) for about a year until the next M5 is out and kicks the RS6's ass both on paper and on the track?

I meant that how well a car drives is entirely a personal opinion.

Duh?

And since it can't be scientifically compared, why the hell are you quoting your dad's opinion on which cars drive better? You're comparing the most powerful sedans ever sold and you don't want driving experience to be a factor at all? Come on

Sjees, it's just a car comparisson, no need to start taking it personal, YOU'RE not BMW and I'M not AUDI

Silly me, I thought I wasn't taking it personally. I'm glad you informed me otherwise, that could've been bad. :odd:
 
Originally posted by M5Power






Do you also realise that you only can use the horsepower argument (you conveniently can't compare driving experience as you aren't old enough to drive - drat!) for about a year until the next M5 is out and kicks the RS6's ass both on paper and on the track?






WTF... The cars of today are the current M5 and RS6, why compare it with a car that's gonna come out in 1.5 year??!! Who knows what audi has by then. Stop the childisch arguments.
I could say... " oh but wait, there'll be a new RS6 in 3 years... and that will beat up the M5's ass!! Thats pathetic talk!

The point is that for the moment the RS6 is best.
 
Originally posted by DrIft ProJeCt R
i kno i have 4 Bmws but i am more into cars with performance, power, and handling..... i have a M5, M3,M rodster, X5 4.6....


Anyone else have trouble believing this?


///M-Spec
 
Originally posted by Quattro
WTF... The cars of today are the current M5 and RS6, why compare it with a car that's gonna come out in 1.5 year??!!


Maybe because the M5's already been cancelled? Now, listen. The present M5 is better than the present RS6 on the track. That's a real disappointment for Audi, I imagine, since the M5's five years old. Real Audi lovers refuse to admit the RS6 loses out on the track, not that I care what real Audi lovers say, since they're blindly allied with a manufacturer and don't look at each car objectively. Yes, I'm referring to you.

When the new M5 comes out, and we compare it to the current RS6 I can guarantee that you'll say: "wait for the next RS6" and "of course the M5's better since it's so much newer." Either of those arguments make you wrong, though I don't know why I'm saying that because you're wrong anyway.

What?

Anyway, I don't care what you think. I bought an M5 for $37000 less than an RS6, and the mere fact that there's this much actual debate over which car is better sort of proves my point.
 
M5POWER....RS6 is faster then M5 on track... On the Nurburgring he is even 8 sec. faster
 
Oh and you're gonna tell how I (or others) react. If you wanna buy a car you cant say' ok I buy the new M5, -> You cant! If you buy a car then its one that there is!
 
Originally posted by ///M-Spec
Anyone else have trouble believing this?


///M-Spec

why would u have trouble..... my father owns 7 cars bro...... sry to sai this but im co-singned on all the bmws..... so it pactially mine:D
 
I like both of these car companies.
Right now in motorsports, Audi has the upper hand since BMW is concentrating to its F1 division and Audi is seriously concerned to its Le Mans division (in which it still keeps on winning despite with their loss to the Bentley during the French Le Man).

What I really think is that Audi (with its next gen A6 and the new A8) is producing better looking cars than BMW's (next 5 and the current 7 series).

There are two things that BMW is floundering:
Why did they pursue the stupid iDrive system? That hinders the pure driving experience of a BMW (BTW too much electronics can reduce the reliability of the car, prime example the new E-Class).

Second, Bangle should design other car companies besides BMW, he totally ruined the true essence/spirit of the BMW marque. He the type of guy who deserves to be in Pontiac and Saturn, not BMW.

Well thats just my opinion. :)
 
Right on... if you'd give me the choise between a new BMW 545 or an E34 540i I'd pick the old car. Those were BMW's. The new ones don't have a soul or emotional spirit... just cars
 
Quattro, the RS6 is the faster car but its also the least involving to drive. the M5 is the better car for the enthustiastic driver with so much feel and body control where the RS6 seems to roll and pitch from corner to corner. dont get me wrong the RS6 is a brilliant car, so good i just recently spent 60K on one but as soon as the new M5 estate is released then the Audi is going in the autotrader :cool:
 
Originally posted by DrIft ProJeCt R
my father owns 7 cars

Oh, they're daddy's cars.. that would explain it :rolleyes:


///M-Spec
 
I just like the looks of the Audis more than the Bimmers. They seem more refined. ALthough, in that area of sports cars, I am not overly knowledgeble, so I cant make those kind of comparisons.
 
Originally posted by Quattro
M5POWER....RS6 is faster then M5 on track... On the Nurburgring he is even 8 sec. faster

Yeah - who's driving?

Oh and you're gonna tell how I (or others) react. If you wanna buy a car you cant say' ok I buy the new M5, -> You cant! If you buy a car then its one that there is!

What? Seriously - that makes no sense.

Still, I refer back to this statement which you won't respond to:

Anyway, I don't care what you think. I bought an M5 for $37000 less than an RS6, and the mere fact that there's this much legitimate debate over which car is better sort of proves my point.

There are two things that BMW is floundering:
Why did they pursue the stupid iDrive system? That hinders the pure driving experience of a BMW (BTW too much electronics can reduce the reliability of the car, prime example the new E-Class).

It's a good point, though it should be mentioned that Audi has a similar system called MMI in the new A8. That said, the system is nowhere near as complicated as iDrive - kudos to Audi for making it work. I also agree that the new A8 is (much) better than the new 7-series, but the sales won't reflect that - this is Audi's third-generation 8-cylinder sedan, and it's the third generation that won't sell. Too bad

Second, Bangle should design other car companies besides BMW, he totally ruined the true essence/spirit of the BMW marque.

Oh, right - you can't have one of these threads without an anti-Bangle statement from somebody who couldn't afford a 7-series or one of its competitors but chooses to comment anyway.
 
stop acting like a child... People who cant afford a 7-series can be more intelligent than people who own such cars.
The car you drive doesn't reflect the value of your meaning.
 
In my opinion, audi is curently in better position that bmw, since it has really good cars, plus it has a few interesting cars on the way. It will (probably) release a supercar based on lamborghini gallardo, the new A6 is coming uot pretty soon, new A3... all great cars.

The only thing that is keeping BMW where it is today is a really good image it has, but all thanks to beautiful and fast cars they used to make. But it will wear out.

I used to be a real bmw fan, but today i would definetly go for audi, except for maybe 5-series, since the new A6 isn't out yet.
 
Originally posted by Quattro
stop acting like a child... People who cant afford a 7-series can be more intelligent than people who own such cars.
The car you drive doesn't reflect the value of your meaning.

I'm afraid it's you that's being the child. Your post makes no sense. People who can afford to buy 7-Series cars are in a position where they are able to comment on whether it's the best thing in its class.

What you're not understanding is that you're speaking to someone who's owned like 100 cars in the last year, including both an M5 and a 7-Series.

One is always in a stronger position considering one's adversary's position in a discussion.
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
I'm afraid it's you that's being the child. Your post makes no sense. People who can afford to buy 7-Series cars are in a position where they are able to comment on whether it's the best thing in its class.

Oh, really? And I thought that test drivers and journalists who do that for living are. But I guess I was wrong...

So, you think money makes people competent? And people who can't afford something can't say what they do or don't like. Really interesting point. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is an example: I drive volvo S80, and I've bought it just because I liked the car. Nothing else. I know there are faster and better cars for about the same amount of money. But I still bought this car. Do you get my point? Or you don't have enough money to understand? :trouble: :trouble:
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
I'm afraid it's you that's being the child. Your post makes no sense. People who can afford to buy 7-Series cars are in a position where they are able to comment on whether it's the best thing in its class.

What you're not understanding is that you're speaking to someone who's owned like 100 cars in the last year, including both an M5 and a 7-Series.

One is always in a stronger position considering one's adversary's position in a discussion.

Euhh, what i was reflecting to was M5POWER 's point about the bangle style... everyone can have his opinion.

And example... If I can barely affort a Ford focus but I do know simply EVERYTHING about cars and I know all the specs and stuff about cars in that class... Aren't I capable of giving a valuable point of view???!

So ok if you have owned all those cars... but does that mean your the only one who can give a good meaning? NOT
Total Bulls**t

greetings
 
And example... If I can barely affort a Ford focus but I do know simply EVERYTHING about cars and I know all the specs and stuff about cars in that class... Aren't I capable of giving a valuable point of view???!

No - and I hope you realise that comparing the spec of a car you can't afford to the spec of cars within its class and opining on the STYLE of a car you can't afford are two very different things. Anybody can read the spec charts and make a good judgement on the best 3-door hatch on paper, but if I'm BMW, why the hell do I care what somebody with no means to buy one of my competitor's cars says about my car's styling?

Do you get my point?

No. It's actually stupid, not to mention irrelevant. Nevertheless, I'm not out to convince everyone. I know Quattro's going to have come back with another poorly-worded statement to "refute" my point above before long. He can't be convinced, and I don't care. Nothing can be done about that. I just hope you understand my point so that one day it'll hit you that you could be wrong on the topic.
 
Im surprised you even give these kids the time to argue back. It's obviously that they dont know what theyre talking about. I personally wouldnt buy a BMW unless I was in love, because Im not a big fan of the styling, I consider it to be rather....bland. Oh well.
 
Back