Audi VS. BMW

  • Thread starter Thread starter audiracing
  • 172 comments
  • 9,015 views
The big difference between the performance of the MR and M5 is the sheer power of the M5 and the fact the M5 will hit 205mph derestricted compared to 157mph for the MR.
The power to weight ratio of the M5 is vastly superior to the MR (285bhp/ton vs 235bhp/ton)
The MR is more nimble and grippy but the M5 is much more refined, has a really special engine and an insane top speed (admittedly pretty irrelevant). Don't forget the launch control either :D
 
The funny thing is..the idiot was still posting that I'm a 12 year old because of the dots I post..what nonsense..I guess you think you're better than me ...well go ahead and think that way..as far as horsepower is concerned...the ridiculous thing is, all that horsepower for the m5 and it still can't beat the MR and you just said the 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with over 500 horsepower? Still the Evo has less horsepower but still manages to reach it in 4.5 seconds...so you make no sense...and you are just narrow minded to think that about the bmw from your (Built in system).Tell me if someone tells you that a car can reach 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and another car reaches it in less time...which car do you think is faster? Regardless of horsepower etc. Because you seem to be blinded by that and yes blinded by stupidiy.The most you will say is "Ohh you're not old enough to drive,you're 12,your stupid" Why? Because I try to prove you wrong? You seem to be the biggest jack*** around.You also talked about the m5 having a really unique and superior engine...so does the MR...all that so called "Superor engine'' or whatever you call it...makes no sense...because in the end ...its A** would still get kicked..what a loser! You're still forgetting the kind of turbo boost you get from the evolution series..unlike any other...they are of a unique kind.Yes ppl have seen the new M5 ..so what? No big deal...just a modified version of the new 5 series...still ugly as hell.
 
Whoa, quintuple post... that has to be some kind of record.
 
Pressed submit a few times by mistake.Most ppl do measure the speed of a car by 0-60 or the quartermile.The take off is very important.If someone decided to take the cars to a track,every corner you must slow down,by the time you boost up,you tend to reach the same 0-60 time.Some ppl may think that he or she will catch up.. but by the time he or she kicks into 5th or 6th gear , there is no catching up because of the mark up time. Ppl do look at the horsepower but alot of cars have 500 or more horsepower but when put on a track they get beaten by cars with less, ask yourselves why. You don't know everything about the inside of a car.There must be a valid reason why the car gives only a 4.7 read out.Especially looking at the ratios of each particular model.Every car has what they call a secret weapon built into it.When the turbo of each car kicks in,it gives that certain car a special boost that no other car may have.Some cars have twin scroll turbines,others boxer type,others have the turbo with the unique rotary type engines.So don't be fooled by the so called brand names.
 
Sorry you aint fooling anyone, the MR would still have it's ass handed to it ;)
 
Congratulations on dropping the use of ellipses (...). Just separate your text in paragraghs, then drop the use of shortcuts like "ppl" and it would almost be perfect! ;)

Just another hint: many of us here, especially in this part of the forum have been car enthusiasts for quite a while. Some have actually raced cars, other have advanced mechanical skills, or almost encyclopedic knowledges about cars and models. So here's a little guide to avoid hostile reactions by them:

- Don't try to pretend you have/drive/race [insert exotic car(s) here] if you can't back it with a picture. That is unless you enjoy people laughing at you.

- Don't try to be a smartass and tell everyone that you know better than them what a turbo, an ESP or a any secret weapon does for a car, without, at least giving numbers or a proper explanation... usually, when arguing about acceleration times, talking about power/weight ratios, gearing and tires will do the job, provided you give numbers to back your claims. Not the acceleration times you've just read in Mitsubishi tuner magazine.

:)
 
GTR8
Besides..the person who is talking about the M5 doing less than 5 secs in 0-60 is full of crap..the only way that could be possible was if you modified it some more..QUOTE]

I call BS on that statement.

Autocar in the UK printed a full road test of the new M5, I have scanned the figures and you can access them by clicking on the gallery button at the bottom of my post (watch out the image in big).

0-60 = 4.6 seconds

Thats measured with GPS dataloging equipment as all Autocar tests are, the figures are about the best true independent one you wil get.
 
GTR8
Every car has what they call a secret weapon built into it.When the turbo of each car kicks in,it gives that certain car a special boost that no other car may have.Some cars have twin scroll turbines,others boxer type,others have the turbo with the unique rotary type engines.So don't be fooled by the so called brand names.

OK, now explain exactly what you mean by this, back up what on the face of it appears to be nonsense.

Tell my exactly why a boxer engine is a secret weapon when fitted to a car, what are the pros and cons of a boxer layout, who uses them and why. But most of all tell me why its called a 'boxer' layout.

Come on, show me your stuff.
 
GTR8
why do you think we also have an Evo 8 MR....thats not out yet.......

Really MR's of various specs have been out in the UK for over a year now.

Tut tut, more BS
 
I see numerous text book examples of Unofficial Opinions Forum Guide rules in action here, JP. Looks like a couple of #1s, some #2, #3 ad nauseum, big time #4s, multiple #6s, plus a stellar example of #7.

You might have to quote this guy in there :dopey:

Speaking of which.. we are still waiting for the pictures you promised, GTR8.

And btw, only people who live in Magazine Racing La-La Land are obsessed with 0-60. 1320' times and 0-150 are the true indicators of a car's acceleration potential.

As for your inane M5 and Evo comparision, you really need to get a clue. The Evo's AWD launch and ultra short gearing gives it a good shot from a stand still, but the M5 will suck its headlights right out after 75 mph. 0-150, the M5 will hand the Evo its butt on a silver plate.

Real Evo owners must hate drooling fanboys like you.


M

P.S. That "idiot" you described earlier has forgotten more about cars than you've ever learned in your brief life. Don't think no one here realizes that.
 
:p I even indulged myself in a form of #5, But... that... was... due... to... headaches.
 
I have just come to this thread and discovered that it was a good one until one person came along and messed it all up, you know who I'm talking about. :rolleyes:


Now I'm trying to give you my general point of view on Audi vs. BMW:

First I must say I don't particularly like the both of the companies, but I don't hate them. Nevertheless I'd say I like Audi a little bit more, don't ask me why.

When it comes to driving I think the BMWs are more fun, and the Audis rather "play it safe". BMW has always sticked to RWD which makes them good drifters, usually connected to fun. The Audis, having AWD or FWD still can be quick on the track, but you know they were not build to be living on edge. On the other hand you can drive them much easier and won't sweat out a gallon of water when you're going quick.

I don't like Chris Bangles' design, but still I like the new M5, especially for it's engine. I liked some older BMWs though, like the M Coupe and the current M3. In my eyes Audis always look pretty boring, except of the TT. But that's another car I had get used to when looking at it. The ones I like are the RS4 and RS6.

Enginewise BMW has made some turbos, but today they're more into high-revving NA-engines. They're famous for their inline 6-cylinder for example. Audi likes to put in a turbo and also is successful with it, you do find the famous 1,8l turbo in a lot of different cars.

Both companies do have excellent build quality and the prices are not really different on comparable models, although pretty high in general. But you do get something for your money.

Conclusion:
I can't pull a clear winner out of the hat, because they both have advantages and disadvantages. When it comes to fun I think you're better off with a BMW. For a quick and easy traveller you better take an Audi.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
GTR8, why do you continue to compare 0-60 times? And if you want to argue how the M5 produces much more horsepower than the EvoMR yet it's still "slow", then how about a Lotus S2 Exige w/ 189bhp vs. Evo MR FQ-320 w/ 320bhp (I love both cars :D)? From BBC Top Gear tests:

EVO VIII MR FQ-320 - 1.26.0
Lotus Exige - 1.26.4 (slightly wet track)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9


Now I'll assume the MR you're referring to is the FQ-320 (has more power compared to US/JP spec MR). So with all that power and AWD and all the nice computer aided mechanical parts, why was it only able to beat the Exige around a track by 0.4s? The Exige lap was on a WET track too! And it's got a naturally aspirated 1.8L TOYOTA engine! :D heh.

And as a fan of the Evos, I have to admit that it will get beaten by a M5 in a drag race for sure. However, if it was a tight twisty track then the Evo will winhands down :p

EDIT: and I want to see the pictures too. Come on, show me the Lamborghini drag racing like you mentioned in your posts :)
 
GTR8
The funny thing is..the idiot was still posting that I'm a 12 year old because of the dots I post..what nonsense..I guess you think you're better than me ...well go ahead and think that way..as far as horsepower is concerned...the ridiculous thing is, all that horsepower for the m5 and it still can't beat the MR and you just said the 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with over 500 horsepower? Still the Evo has less horsepower but still manages to reach it in 4.5 seconds...so you make no sense...and you are just narrow minded to think that about the bmw from your (Built in system).Tell me if someone tells you that a car can reach 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and another car reaches it in less time...which car do you think is faster? Regardless of horsepower etc. Because you seem to be blinded by that and yes blinded by stupidiy.The most you will say is "Ohh you're not old enough to drive,you're 12,your stupid" Why? Because I try to prove you wrong? You seem to be the biggest jack*** around.You also talked about the m5 having a really unique and superior engine...so does the MR...all that so called "Superor engine'' or whatever you call it...makes no sense...because in the end ...its A** would still get kicked..what a loser! You're still forgetting the kind of turbo boost you get from the evolution series..unlike any other...they are of a unique kind.Yes ppl have seen the new M5 ..so what? No big deal...just a modified version of the new 5 series...still ugly as hell.

Wait - do you think the Evolution MR is a solely better car because it MIGHT be able to out-accelerate the M5?
 
Obviously most of you are bmw lovers because of its name.Few say that I have not given any good reasons why the evo is faster but guess what,you all have not given any valid reasons about the M5 also.So what sense is that.One still talks about my double spacing or commas etc. I guess you're some lame english teacher.Some were talking about being so intuned with cars unlike me,which I have no proof of that.We drag race alot of cars and yes it is possible for someone to own a lamborghini and drag race it,who is more fortunate than you.You have never tested out the new m5 or evo MR so you don't know what you're talking about.Concerning the 0-60 mark up,which does make sense.There is no way you can prove the M5 has more speed though.Most ppl would judge it by its 0-60 rating.Especially the ones who never driven it.So stop fooling yourselves and get a life.As for talking about evos all I mentioned earlier was that I prefer an audi over a bmw simply because I passed through them and I don't see whats so fun about them,everybody has one and it has absolutely no unique styling.I furthered by point by saying,if you really want speed and performance choose an evo MR. Some dunce nicknamed MSpec started the argument.The difference with the bmw is the double grill as I said before and even that doesn't make it nice.You're just an obsessive compulsive over a boring bmw and needs to try something new.Why don't you all be more open minded and stop talking bullsh**.You all were talking about how my facts and figures were not straight.Same goes for you all just living in a dream world only wanting to see photos to believe.Thats like saying you need a picture of God to believe that He actually exists.Get a clue about life.Then why don't you all show me pictures as well? Or are you too busy being bias?
Peace.
 
You all were talking about how my facts and figures were not straight.Same goes for you all just living in a dream world only wanting to see photos to believe.Thats like saying you need a picture of God to believe that He actually exists.Get a clue about life.
Classic.

That qualifies as signature material.
 
I'd say that the 0-60 time probably is the least comparable figure of these two cars, because the MR is an AWD quickstarter and the BMW is a powerful but heavy RWD limousine. But I thought this is about BMW and Audi. An Evo is a different type of car, so it shouldn't be considered anyway. If I'd start to enumerate better alternatives to a RS4 or a M3, I'd sit here all night.

And if you want to compare the MR and the M5, why don't you do it in GT4P? This is as real as it will get if you can't drive those in real life.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
One guy mentioned that I have no clue about turbo engines which I do.I was talking about secret weopons in every engine meaning you don't know what to expect in every newer model,you may just assume.Don't just judge japanese cars just like that.They have alot of potential.Bmw has already built a reputation.I was looking at the new Nissan Skyline R34 GTR Spec 11 2005 model and yes its out here.Do you know that its 792 horsepower and gives a 0-60 reading of 3.5 seconds.That was the only car on the drag team to match up with the lamborghini.The Evo was a short distance behind.Try beating that with a German Bmw.By the time Bmw comes out with a new 2006 or 2007 M5, Mitsubishi and Nissan would come out with something better.The 2006 925 horsepower Skyline GTR Spec 111 would stomp the lamborghini and thats trying to go competition with the ferrari enzo.Mitsubishi said that they're coming out with a new 7 speed manual in 2 years time with double the horsepower.You see now its the japanese turn to make a name for themselves.Yes Bmw can give the Evo series some good competition but it definately cannot match with the Nissan Skyline.Top that.
 
I wouldn't say that Japanese cars need to build a reputation, because people that have some knowledge on cars know about them and their potential.

Anyway, I'd say that Evos and Skylines can't be compared to Audis and BMWs because they were developed with different goals to be archieved. You can squeeze 430 hp out of the 1,8l Audi-turbo, and I'm sure there's more if you want to, but BMWs and Audis are supposed to have a long life and not use too much fuel. I'm sure the 925 hp Skyline won't be build for that.

There are virtually no drag races here in Germany, so nobody builds cars for that anyway.

Maybe you have heard of the MTM Bimoto one day: it's an Audi TT with two of the 1,8l turbo engines, each producing 430 hp. Some specs:

0-62 mph: 3,5 secs
0-124 mph: 8,9 secs
0-188 mph: 19,8 secs
top speed: 234 mph

Here's a picture:
4.jpg


So, Audis and BMWs can be quick if they are build to be quick, but that was not the intention of those manufacturers in the first place, so they didn't.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Evos can't even be compared to Skylines, anyway.... skylines are mid-size, heavy, and built for circuit racing. Evos are smaller, much lighter, and built for World Rally competition...
 
You're right skylines can't be compared to evos because as you said one is for circuit racing and the other rally.My point was to compare both japanese and european models.If you have to compare the M5 and skyline in circuit racing,the skyline would leave that out in a few seconds definately.Japanese and European cars are both luxurious and sporty.If I have to compare luxury with the bmw,audi and lexus I would definately choose lexus because of its unique styling.If I have to choose sport I would choose skyline because it has a superior quality to it and has alot more potential.Thats a nice picture of the Audi TT. I tried to put a pic up but for some reason the site is not allowing me too.

Peace.
 
GTR8, you seem determined not to like the M5. What's there not to like? It's got an exotic engine with F1 DNA, an advanced chassis, gearbox and looks great. Lexus don't have anything that even comes close. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have a thoroughbred V10 screamer than a turbo 4 with loads of lag or even a twin turbo 6.
For drag racing ofcourse you have different considerations but for the road big NA engines supperior in my opinion
 
I have no issue with the M5 really.Its just I'm comparing it with others,besides skylines have superior engines as well I mean to get a street legal like that,screaming out 792 horsepower is pretty amazing.Concerning bmw , you see I already passed through the 1998 3 series and the 2001 3 series 325i,so I was just fed up of the same lame interior and the exterior, only had a few modifications to it.I knew someone with an M3 at that time but that just looked like mine only with a modified body kit.Concerning lexus I really like the IS 300.It may not have the kind of horsepower the M5 has,but it pretty different and exciting looking.Both luxury and sport.I'm not too much into buying a car that has over 700 horsepower or more.By the time I kick off, there most likely would be a cop waiting around the corner.The new 5 series just doesn't do much for me,others may agree.Not everybody likes a bmw.
 
I basically like more exciting cars.
 

Attachments

  • 712210_3_full.jpg
    712210_3_full.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 449348_1_full.jpg
    449348_1_full.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Evo 8.jpg
    Evo 8.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 13
The new 5 series is not that bad but its too big,like a limo.
 

Attachments

  • 634248_4_full.jpg
    634248_4_full.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 15
Dude, stop trying to pretend you're cool. Earn your respect. That is all.
 
I decided to post a few of the hottest cars around just to be a little more friendly and some bottom hole decides to ruin it by saying ''I'm trying to be cool.''Steupes,why don't you go climb a tree and release yourself.Earn your own damn respect.
 

Attachments

  • 626554_5_full.jpg
    626554_5_full.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 17
Whoa, nice pics man! Erm, I mean, where is the paper with "told you so, GTPlanet!!" on it?
 
Back