Australian GT, Season 1 finished, TheFlash is Champion,Finished 

• Thread starter TDZdave
  • 756 comments
Do NOT follow the Ford into the pits :) Still having trouble with it bogging down, and in fact it got stuck at the bottom of the pit lane for about 10 sec last night. Changing tranny and diff settings had no effect. On the bright side.... when she finally gets on track, she's running nice when I keep it on the tarry bit

Running nice was a bit of an understatement...

are you running the Supercharger soks? I found there is hideous turbo lag in the Audi when leaving the pit pox,

I am running supercharger..... will take it off and give her a go. Of course IRL you should have no lag from supercharging, but who knows what PD programmed in there. will keep you posted.

My 'vette got out of the pit fine with a supercharger so it might have something to do with how wide the Ford is? Doesn't seem that realistic but it is a possibility. Then again this does seem like the answer;

... Of course IRL you should have no lag from supercharging, but who knows what PD programmed in there.
Classic PD!

My 'vette got out of the pit fine with a supercharger

No wonder you're having problems with the rear tires on the Vette! You must have it de-tuned to what like 30%?? Driving with all that extra torque on-top of what the 427ci worth of V8 already gives you on a DS3 would make that thing a whole lot harder than it needs to be...

No wonder you're having problems with the rear tires on the Vette! You must have it de-tuned to what like 30%?? Driving with all that extra torque on-top of what the 427ci worth of V8 already gives you on a DS3 would make that thing a whole lot harder than it needs to be...
Even with it out the supercharger it's still inconsistent no matter what I do, thank god for @TDZdave for making another class!

supercharger removal made to appreciable difference, however it doesn't light up the tires while its going nowhere :lol:

Its just a glitch.... no worries, I'll try to pit right ahead of whoever has annoyed me :grumpy:

Anyone have a setup for the Audi?... There are almost none on GTP (all have settings outside the range the audi takes, must have changed in a patch).

The car seemed OK at the RedBull Ring, but its horrible at Laguna. On turn in you get massive oversteer, then as soon as you accelerate you get massive understeer which can on occasion snap into massive oversteer. Its just horrible to drive, really not fun. I should have tested these cars at a different track, the A1 ring only really has a couple of types of turns.

BTW nosoks, the audi has the same pit problem, you wont be alone.

Anyone have a setup for the Audi?... There are almost none on GTP (all have settings outside the range the audi takes, must have changed in a patch).

The car seemed OK at the RedBull Ring, but its horrible at Laguna. On turn in you get massive oversteer, then as soon as you accelerate you get massive understeer which can on occasion snap into massive oversteer. Its just horrible to drive, really not fun. I should have tested these cars at a different track, the A1 ring only really has a couple of types of turns.

yeah the patch 1.09 screwed with the 2 Audi's factory settings, so nearly all tunes on GTP for it are now redundant,

I seem to really have this Audi hooked up its just my incompetency that seems to restrain it,

:sly:I can help you, but with your pace I may not want to

put everything to the right :lol:

ROUND 8
Laguna Seca
DRIVERS BRIEF

img_6612.jpg

There will be one full pace lap,
The leader will be allowed to accelerate once all the cars are on the front stretch but before the pedestrian bridge, once at the bridge the track will be classified as green,

INTRODURUCING GT CHALLENGE
1STC.jpg

GT Challenge is a category we will be introducing this week for the remainder of the series, the rules for this category are the same as the main game but with some additional's,

GTC is a category desingned for and aimed at the lesser experienced drivers in the field, somewhat of a hopeful breeding ground for future talent within Australian GT,

The category will be scored aside from the main series,

The car of GTC is the Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car, (as pictured above) and will be run under tuning prohibited regulation,

The specifications for this car are 415BHP at 1030KG, this can be achieved by doing an oil change and adjusting the power limiter,

The only adjustments that can be performed to the car are the brakes under tuning prohibited regulations and that is all,

The GTC category will be regulation checked before qualifying before each round of Australian GT by using the room selections to ensure the field is even, once that has happened the GTC guys cannot go into their garages and adjust the car as this will see a heavy penalty placed one them,

Thank you and good luck this week,

put everything to the right :lol:

I've no idea what that means haha...

The GTC category looks awesome. I like racing series far more than engineering series (current series is best setup wins rather than best driving). Wish the main series was tuning free. Never understood the attraction of having to setup a car for each track doing all these little tasks that have nothing at all to do with being a driver. How is that fun?

The GTC category looks awesome. I like racing series far more than engineering series (current series is best setup wins rather than best driving). Wish the main series was tuning free. Never understood the attraction of having to setup a car for each track doing all these little tasks that have nothing at all to do with being a driver. How is that fun?

I'm currently working on something like that to start after Bathurst this year, I don't have the time to tune cars, but I can assure you it will be great!

So is there a gentleman's agreement not to tune in the GTC class? I say this because we are going to be racing in the same field as the GT3 class which is tuning allowed however GTc is tuning prohibited. So we have to make a gentleman's agreement not to tune the settings. I'd be fine with that as the Subaru is an absolute dream to drive stock, better than my tuned Corvette anyway!
EDIT- Please do not solve this by separating the 2 classes into their own separate races as that would wreck the (unofficial) racing between the classes.

So is there a gentleman's agreement not to tune in the GTC class? I say this because we are going to be racing in the same field as the GT3 class which is tuning allowed however GTc is tuning prohibited. So we have to make a gentleman's agreement not to tune the settings. I'd be fine with that as the Subaru is an absolute dream to drive stock, better than my tuned Corvette anyway!
EDIT- Please do not solve this by separating the 2 classes into their own separate races as that would wreck the (unofficial) racing between the classes.

the room settings will remain open until qualifying, then i will set the room up to check the regulations of the subaru, once they are checked it will be illegal for the GTC class to go make adjustments, the room will then be reset to the regular settings and qualifying will commence

the room settings will remain open until qualifying, then i will set the room up to check the regulations of the subaru, once they are checked it will be illegal for the GTC class to go make adjustments, the room will then be reset to the regular settings and qualifying will commence
Ok cool, just needed some clarification before we race next Wednesday. Can't wait to race with @SteveEnforcer & @Cobra_GT500 & possibly @keg11, finally some close DS3 on DS3 racing!

A free for all allows drivers who are best at different areas to compete on an even field. Some may be fast drivers who can't tune, while others could make up their lack of outright pace with tuning or race strategy in the case of endurance races. It's fun by running different strategies between different drivers. A1 ring was a great example of this, with greasy doing a flat out sprint pitting when tires required, flash not quite on the same outright pace and running a lesser stop strategy, and myself using a slower more stable tune to run a single stop race, and we finished within 13 seconds of each other. My qualy and early laps in the race being compromised cost me 10 seconds, that end result could have been much closer.

In the case of tuning prohibited racing, it can come down to the drivers who got more practice laps in before the race, being able to refine their racing line and track knowledge. With no tuning, and in most cases short races where strategy can't come into play, it makes it a pretty straight forward race between the drivers who can run the pace or not, with no way to close that gap by other means.

The current series is won by the best driving. You definition of best is fastest by the sounds of things, where I would define best driving as a combination of putting the pace in when needed, driving to your strategy, not making mistakes and outperforming your car, in certain cases where the car isn't suited to the track, finishing ahead of better equipped rivals.

But each to their own. This is the type of competition I enjoy.

I do prefer a tuning allowed race/series as it plays on a strength of mine but when it comes down to tuning allowed against people with wheels... it's a whole different ball game. The people with wheels can feel the car just as they would in real life unlike the DS3 users who have a very, very limited feel for the car they are using, hence why I jumped to GTC where I can hone my skills on a DS3 before racing against the likes of @Greasy07 and @TheFlash05, for example, as I'm too use to relying on my feel for my kart to help me make a change to help improve my on-track performance, so that puts me off when using a DS3, where as I said earlier, has a limited feel to it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what @TDZdave has planned after this series, all I know is if it's like this, we will be in for a treat!

A free for all allows drivers who are best at different areas to compete on an even field. Some may be fast drivers who can't tune, while others could make up their lack of outright pace with tuning or race strategy in the case of endurance races. It's fun by running different strategies between different drivers. A1 ring was a great example of this, with greasy doing a flat out sprint pitting when tires required, flash not quite on the same outright pace and running a lesser stop strategy, and myself using a slower more stable tune to run a single stop race, and we finished within 13 seconds of each other. My qualy and early laps in the race being compromised cost me 10 seconds, that end result could have been much closer.

Well no, that is just how the race randomly worked out. If a game bug didn't take me out (and subsequently if I didn't then get annoyed and distracted) the results would have been quite different. And its not the tune that determines the tyre wear, I really don't believe GT6 is that sophisticated. It is the driving style. I can burn through my tyres or conserve them at will, yet I never alter my tune.

In the case of tuning prohibited racing, it can come down to the drivers who got more practice laps in before the race, being able to refine their racing line and track knowledge.

These factors are identical for any type of racing.

With no tuning, and in most cases short races where strategy can't come into play, it makes it a pretty straight forward race between the drivers who can run the pace or not, with no way to close that gap by other means.

Why equate tuning with strategy? They are not related.

The current series is won by the best driving. You definition of best is fastest by the sounds of things, where I would define best driving as a combination of putting the pace in when needed, driving to your strategy, not making mistakes and outperforming your car, in certain cases where the car isn't suited to the track, finishing ahead of better equipped rivals.

But each to their own. This is the type of competition I enjoy.

Fact is that if I hadn't found a random setup on the net for the audi I'd have been more than a second off the pace last round instead of fastest. This round I was again about 1.5 seconds behind (in practice) till I found a setup that got me to within .4 which is I think about as close as I can get the audi to front running pace. A second a lap is the difference between an F1 driver and my grand mother basically. If a setup can do that alone then it is the setup that wins, not the driver. Or would I have really have been a worse driver if I didn't find that setup? Who believes that?

A simulation game is meant to deliver the fun bits without the hassles that come with real life. But in real life professional drivers don't have to setup their cars at all, they just report what the car is doing and people with engineering degrees go off and fix it. For this game we invent work for the driver to do that he does not do even in real life then force ourselves to do it before every race. I think its madness.

But this is a whole topic beyond this series I think. I'll leave it at that :)

I have to agree with nas, there are some nights I feel like I need to pay an engineer to sit in my room and tell me what changes I need to make...

I guess at the end of the day though if you really struggle with the set up side of it, then you can post in the tuning forums with the car specs and someone might be kind enough to spend their time to set the car up and report back to you with what they believe is the best setup. There is a whole community of people who just tune cars so it could be a win win!

I gotta agreen with you, that's exactly why I have my own engineer to help setup my kart before some races, but on GT6 I do it myself and I really enjoy it even though it can be a bit frustating at times. Then sometimes I get help from some of the incredibly helpful people in these forums like @TheFlash05 and @Greasy07 who helped me out with my setup for my troublesome 'vette!

Its all about finding that initial base setup that suits your own style. Once you have that sorted you will only need to make basic adjustments at each track. I tuned the Bmw for round one and again after the last update at Motegi. When I get to a track all I do is find the right aero balance and the right gear ratios. Thats it. The rest is track time. I get that tuning a car for each track is a pain but sometimes you have to if the intial tune isnt right to begin with. In saying that we are here to help you only have to ask.

I have no problem with whether the next season will be a tuning allowed or prohibited, if anything @TDZdave, have two classes, tuning allowed and tuning prohibited so everyone can have a fair go so people who don't have a whole heap of time to setup their car can still be in with a shout to win. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Well the new car I'm driving has been suiting me well I feel a lot more confident in this car than I did in the merc. Lap times keep improving around Laguna. Looking forward to test out my new car in the race :)

What times are you managing?
I've managed a 1:24:469, I could easily find another 1-2secs but it would actually require me to commit to practising on my own ;)

Last edited:
I did a 1.25.2 after 30mins of driving I know where I'm losing my time just will have to push a bit more in order to be able to reach your time. Going to see if I can get down to at least 1.24.

Back