Automatic Transmission Drivers' Club

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 137 comments
The final gear ratio is probably the most important adjustment you can make (if you leave everything else alone). Maybe I'm wierd but I change it for almost every track. Usually I set it so it's topping out just when I'd need to slow down at the end of the longest straightaway.

But that's not always best. Somethimes setting it so I can accelerate out of turns very, very fast is best becasue if I can do that, I'll be far enough ahead so that nobody can catch me in the straightaway.

I haven't gotten around to messing with the individual gears. Just the last one on the bottom... acceleration and max speed.

Most of the time I just fool around with the acceleration/top speed slide bar at the bottom

But I do move the last gear (whether it be fifth or sixth gear) all the way to the left. I keeps your acceleration the same, but it increases you top speed as much as ten mph :)

you know, there is this whole debate about which is better, manual or auto. In my humble opinion, they both demand different skills. Man need better awareness, of speed and gear positions, auto's need to know how to master momentum thru a corner. My bro is a manual man, and when he tried an auto, he complained about spinning in the apex of a corner cos the car kicks down "unexpectedly". The auto okes know how to control the gear changes with the brake, entering a corner.

Each to his own i guess.

The manual purists were sufficiently scathing as to make me feel like a poser for using auto... so I started trying out manual more often. Even though I've gotten better at it, I still like auto better.

I dunno... maybe I should just "quit" :odd:

For all the Auto drivers out there:
Stick with a semi-racing transmission and don't forget to use the triple clutch plates...

Like what Utada Hikaru would say, "It's Automatic" :D

When I started my latest new game, I forgot that GT2 defaults to AT, not MT...so it was my first time in ages I'd driven that way. Let's just say, it's a racing game, not a cruising-the-strip game; I wanted to upshift and downshift at points the auto didn't feel like doing.

Auto is okay for startng the game, but I haven't heard of anyone getting all-gold licenses with an Automatic. There are many folks playing GT(2) whom have never played any racing games before, so it's all-new for them. Put me in front of Medal of Honor, and I got my sorry butt whooped! Not my thing...

I'm still using auto. I switch to manual every so often but I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, some cars do better with auto than others. My GTR V-Spec switches exactly when I would, probably better than I would.

That's still my problem, too. Usually, when you downshift, you're also turning and braking simultaneously.

If the engine explodes? You loose.

I play the game completely with a slush box. Call me lazy, but I just think it's easier. I CAN drive with the manual, but after a while i'll forget to do something, like shift...........

I doubt it. If you can hit a wall at 200mph and not damage the car you can probably got from 6th to 1st and not damage the car. But it sure sounds bad.

Latest Posts

Back