Automatic Transmission Drivers' Club

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 137 comments
no offense, but how can you master an auto? i prefer manual, i can pull off better laps and speeds in 1/4 mile. like in the real world, auto shifts whenever the hell IT wants, and i hate that.....

I always drive manual. No offence but i cant stand auto. Thats why when my first steering wheel broke i had to get another wit the gearstick.

I did at first; after about 30 days I gave the manual a try for a challenge. I haven't been back to AT unless I made a mistake in arcade mode.

Manual tranny isn't as hard as you think....there's no clutch pedal/button after all.

I used auto ffor the longest time, then i decided to try manual for a change. I just.... can't... DO IT. :mad:
I dunno, I'd use it if i had to, but I'm really, really , REALLY bad at down-shifting. Auto lets me concentrate on the rest of whats going on.... who knows though, maybe once I start driving next year I'll finally turn over!

when trying to learn how to use the manual gearbox, practice on the machine tests. first run the 1/4 mile in auto to get a time. then try and beat that time with the manual :D
-i use the auto because i have so many different cars, i have to learn how they handle first ;)

I usually use auto but recently I've noticed that after driving for so long that the auto is a crap way to drive...Like a real one it cant decide when to downshift, it shifts down to late and when you need that extra bit of power from sticking it back into 3rd from 4th you simply cant get it from an auto, leaving you lagging at low rpm.

Originally posted by chronix13
I used auto ffor the longest time, then i decided to try manual for a change. I just.... can't... DO IT. :mad:
I dunno, I'd use it if i had to, but I'm really, really , REALLY bad at down-shifting. Auto lets me concentrate on the rest of whats going on.... who knows though, maybe once I start driving next year I'll finally turn over!
I had the same problem when I first tried the manual.
I used auto for 1-1/2 years including the gt3 game and about 6 months ago went to the manual shifting to try to make it more challenging.
Challenging isnt the word for it, it was heck to get down.
My times and shifting began to improve and so did my confidence.
As you grow more confident in the up and down shifting, it becomes second nature after awhile..
Ive since tried going to auto and wonder how I ever raced with the auto. Down shifts were off cue, no power coming off the apex of curves and it took forever for the downshift using the auto.
Manual rocks and have now beaten most times in the gt2 games using the manual shifting. Remember, I used auto exclusively in the gt2 games and went back and bettered those times with the manual. :lol: :D
Anyway, enough of the rant of auto vs manual, this is off topic of the thread and good luck in your auto tranny drivers club. I would join but now drive manually.
How about some honorary members for using auto for over a year. :odd: ;) :P
Misnblu

come to think of it, i dont think ive ever tried manual... i was prety good at it in Colin McRae Rally 2, but i am yet to try it in GT2...
thats it

[mental note]
try manual
[/mental note]

I've given the manual transmission a try today... Not bad... The only problem I had was down-shifting...

The auto transmission works well with the triple clutch plates... Especially on the Vector M12 and the Wiegert Vector W8 Twin Turbo :D

the clutch plates may make a difference but its not enough of one tomake me like autos. i have never had to use auto before, in fact the only time i did was when i played gt1 for the first time, and ive been using manual ever since (about 5 years). I still think manual is the best, auto is just....boring

I wanna use manual but the last time I tried it it was too hard. I've only been playing for about six months so maybe I could handle it now.

I have always driven an auto tranny in GT2
-But it is beginning to piss me off
-I was doing some race on Laguna Seca with the Escudo( :rolleyes: yeah, shut up! I won, nothing else matters :lol: ), I slide off the road and slammed into the wall. This stopped me instantly but as a tried to accelerate, my tranny was stuck in 6th gear :odd: :eek: ! You try to accelerate out of sand in 6th gear, it's a mo-fo *****! :D

-This has happened to me several time since then...HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANY ONE ELSE! :confused:

I don't know if it's the same thing...

But I was also driving Laguna and was sorta falling asleep. I slammed into the wall on the last turn and the car continued to accelerate full blast into the wall for a few seconds.

I tried out manual transmission last night and I see how you could go faster but it's pretty tricky and takes some (a lot of) getting used to.

I kept mixing up L1 and L2 and R1 and R2... trying to downshift and looking behind me and trying to upshift and changing the view. Once I get that part down I can master the shifting.

I bet another type of controller would make it much more natural. I hate those buttons.

You can change the controls by going into your options mode and change them from there.
Its not easy at first, but once you get the hang of it, youll never go back.
Keep practicing on it milefile and youll become proficient soon enough.
Good luck.
[marquee]Misnblu[/marquee]

This may be slightly off topic...

But is it possible to change the controler so that the joystick controls the accelerator (and/or the steering)? I could've sworn I've heard people say they do it and you get much better control.

I've looked in options and don't see how you could do it.

Anyone? :confused:

Attachments

• calsonic.jpg
    calsonic.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 70
Practiced some more manual last night. I'm getting better faster than I thought and even though I still get confused and screw up, my times are noticeably faster, i.e. two or three screw-ups in a lap but still getting the same times I had with a nearly perfect automatic lap.

I was driving a fully tuned Griffith 500 Blackpool on Grand Valley.

Back