Automotive Guilty Pleasures

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 1,407 comments
Apologies for the double post. But I can't help but find myself enjoying the current generation Ford Edge Sport. Love the way they look.
2017-Ford-Edge-Sport-1-1132x670.jpg

I don't normally like crossovers, but this is a nice one.

I did not like the previous generation facelifted model.
2012-Ford-Edge-Sport.jpg

Apologies for the double post. But I can't help but find myself enjoying the current generation Ford Edge Sport. Love the way they look.
2017-Ford-Edge-Sport-1-1132x670.jpg

I don't normally like crossovers, but this is a nice one.

I did not like the previous generation facelifted model.
2012-Ford-Edge-Sport.jpg

I like how I'm the opposite. I'm not a very big fan of the current Ford design on its new SUVs, but something about the last gen Edge Sport makes me love it. I think it's something to do with how the design of the last generation of Edge makes it look very innocent. A lot of curves and very inoffensive styling lead you to believe it could never have a 305 horsepower V6, and yet Ford made it so.

The Ford Explorer Sport Trac had a similar sports package that the Edge had, instead it was called "Adrenalin". I think the kit suits the truck very well.

I like how I'm the opposite. I'm not a very big fan of the current Ford design on its new SUVs, but something about the last gen Edge Sport makes me love it. I think it's something to do with how the design of the last generation of Edge makes it look very innocent. A lot of curves and very inoffensive styling lead you to believe it could never have a 305 horsepower V6, and yet Ford made it so.

I just found the two tone wheels ugly and the grill large to be in your face kind of styling. The grey wheels on the current one make the Edge Sport a little more subtle.

The Ford Explorer Sport Trac had a similar sports package that the Edge had, instead it was called "Adrenalin". I think the kit suits the truck very well.

After driving an Explorer Sport Trac, I hated it. But there's still a childish joy to them for me.... Probably because I remember playing with a Maisto scale model as a kid and thinking the opening tailgate with the bed extender was cool. (As a toy) I don't mind the colors or the body kit on that "Adrenalin" model. I always see a red one driving around town.
265.JPG

Edit. Something guilty to U.S. citzens. I wouldn't mind owning a Buick Regal GS. Though...of course I'd change out all of the Buick badges.
Untitled-132.jpg

Last edited:
Had to check through my previous posts to make sure I'd not yet mentioned it, but here's another of my guilty pleasures:

178862-1990-pontiac-firebird-formula-std-c.jpg
1993-chevrolet-camaro1.jpg

Third and fourth-gen F-bodies. I know they're built like crap, and I know only the absolute top-end ones were really any good, but I'm a big fan of the styling of these cars, whether Camaro or Firebird and more or less regardless of model year. Later Camaros with the gloopy headlights not so much, but in general the Camaro probably nips ahead of the Firebird for me.

Long overhangs can be hit or miss, but I reckon it works on these cars. In profile they all have quite a nice dart-like silhouette. I also like that they were designed before everyone insisted these kind of cars had to look retro, and I like that they aren't needlessly aggressively styled either.

Had to check through my previous posts to make sure I'd not yet mentioned it, but here's another of my guilty pleasures:

Third and fourth-gen F-bodies. I know they're built like crap, and I know only the absolute top-end ones were really any good, but I'm a big fan of the styling of these cars, whether Camaro or Firebird and more or less regardless of model year. Later Camaros with the gloopy headlights not so much, but in general the Camaro probably nips ahead of the Firebird for me.

Long overhangs can be hit or miss, but I reckon it works on these cars. In profile they all have quite a nice dart-like silhouette. I also like that they were designed before everyone insisted these kind of cars had to look retro, and I like that they aren't needlessly aggressively styled either.

I can resonate with this view greatly, only more so for the Camaro more than anything. I always thought it looked rather nice and somewhat elegant on the style front, it's curved shape made a change from the previous generations comparatively straight and angular design IMO.

In fact I'd even go as far as to say the 4th Gen F-body Camaro is my most preferred and genuinely liked model of the Camaro overall (perhaps an unpopular opinion in itself). As for whether it looks better before the face-lift, well I probably lean more towards the Camaro post face-lift, more so in the SS models case, as the re-modeled front end makes it look more "purposeful". But as a whole I've always though it was, and still is quite stylish to be honest.

Chevrolet Camaro SS 4th gen.jpg
Chevrolet Camaro SS 4th gen pre facelift.jpg

The F-Body Camaro never really did it for me. Probably because they're so plentiful where I live. On the other hand, I never quite saw that many Trans Ams. I loved it when I was a kid watching one drive past the playground at least once a week. They look menacing, especially in black.
JfFiPFP.jpg

Still something childishly cool about them.

I can resonate with this view greatly, only more so for the Camaro more than anything. I always thought it looked rather nice and somewhat elegant on the style front, it's curved shape made a change from the previous generations comparatively straight and angular design IMO.

In fact I'd even go as far as to say the 4th Gen F-body Camaro is my most preferred and genuinely liked model of the Camaro overall (perhaps an unpopular opinion in itself). As for whether it looks better before the face-lift, well I probably lean more towards the Camaro post face-lift, more so in the SS models case, as the re-modeled front end makes it look more "purposeful". But as a whole I've always though it was, and still is quite stylish to be honest.

View attachment 668431 View attachment 668432

The F-Body Camaro never really did it for me. Probably because they're so plentiful where I live. On the other hand, I never quite saw that many Trans Ams. I loved it when I was a kid watching one drive past the playground at least once a week. They look menacing, especially in black.
JfFiPFP.jpg

Still something childishly cool about them.
Show these cars to any car enthusiasts kids who lived here in the 80's & 90's and they will drool far more to those cars than any Ferrari at the time. It's like their dream car.

Considering how average person over here would rather have these than your average Japanese sports car (S13-15, Celica or MX5), i wouldn't really consider it to be unpopular or guilty pleasure.

Had a ride in one of these yesterday:

elgrand.jpg

Nissan Elgrand (specifically, a "Highway Star", which I assume is an up-specced model). Along with the Toyota Alphard, a definite guilty pleasure. I have no need for a luxurious six-seat van. I have no space for one, and I certainly don't have the money for one. But I definitely want one.

Had a ride in one of these yesterday:

Nissan Elgrand (specifically, a "Highway Star", which I assume is an up-specced model). Along with the Toyota Alphard, a definite guilty pleasure. I have no need for a luxurious six-seat van. I have no space for one, and I certainly don't have the money for one. But I definitely want one.

All. Of. My. Yes.

4290701769_aa859ee386_o.jpg

Excite-King-2013-44.jpg

elgrand2_rear.jpg

I've always felt Japan has done a great job at making the people mover a non-hateful thing. They are designed far and above a 'last resort' to something that you wouldn't mind owning.

I figure culture differences are mainly behind it. The USA and Europe both had attempts at making the MPV cool (and succeeded for a while, at least in terms of sales) but crossovers and SUVs ultimately had the image people were looking for in their practical vehicles.

Maximising space seems to be a much bigger priority in Japanese vehicles - witness the number of kei cars and concepts marketed at younger people essentially as a way of getting some personal space away from their parents, with seats that turn into beds etc... and I imagine if you live in a relatively small apartment in one of the major cities, having a bit of space while you're on the road is quite attractive.

Only one vehicle strikes me as having achieved a similar aim in Europe - the VW Transporter/Caravelle. You see quite a few of them about, and if you seriously need space it's a far cooler vehicle than some half-hearted seven-seat SUV.

I have a weird obsession with the Toyota HiAce.... So much so I'd be so ecstatic to see one when I was in Vietnam.
side_view.JPG
The Toyota Hiace is like the Ford Transit of the Asian market. Those vans are everywhere over here as well as places like Thailand. Based on certain footage's, it seems that it's also popular in it's brand's nation.

*Secretly waiting until someone posts a heavily modified "bazookas" and "stance" of these vans*

Is it really a guilty pleasure though?

A guilty pleasure is something, such as a film, a television program or a piece of music, that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard, or is seen as unusual or weird

An attractive sedan rated highly by the critics is more like a legitimate pleasure. As is the VelociRaptor further up, for that matter. Liking Tokyo Drift would be a movie guilty pleasure, liking the Shawshank Redemption would not.

The Hiace and the Malaise-era sedans posted above are closer to what this idea is all about, I think.

An attractive sedan rated highly by the critics is more like a legitimate pleasure.
Because what they say is all that matters, right? Since guilt in this context is something one experiences, shouldn't one be able to feel guilty for liking something they feel they ought not?

Liking the current Mazda 6 isn't really a guilty pleasure; it's consistently been viewed as the most attractive sedan in it's class.

Liking the 6's predecessor, the 626, is much more guilty.

I...weirdly like the Buick Cascada. :nervous:
img-642182947-1453325305389.jpg

Not sure if this could be considered guilty, but I love the way the C30 looks. At least the rear.
054.jpg

SVX
Super super super common here. It's the Tradie's vehicle of choice.
I barely ever saw them while I was in Vietnam.

I know a ton of people hated the way the C30 looked, but I love it. I miss mine a ton, hopefully I can rectify that very soon.

Because what they say is all that matters, right? Since guilt in this context is something one experiences, shouldn't one be able to feel guilty for liking something they feel they ought not?
I'd say it plays a fairly big part, yes, since the definition I posted is literally what a "guilty pleasure" is. It doesn't just have to be the critics, but "generally held in high regard" would certainly include professional reviewers.

If everyone said the Mazda 6 was crap or it was some weird, oddball thing with no mainstream appeal (or incredibly bland, like the old 626 that @Turbo posted), then liking it would be a guilty pleasure.

If everyone says the Mazda 6 is a very good car (they do) or it's a fairly standard type of vehicle sold widely worldwide (it is), then it's not really a guilty pleasure - it's something you could like fairly legitimately.

I think you're overplaying the "guilt is something one experiences" angle a little too. "Guilty pleasure" is more like a figure of speech. If anyone feels actual emotional guilt over liking a particular car, as they might if they were cheating on a partner or had run a red light, then they probably need their heads seeing to.

Back