Automotive Guilty Pleasures

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 1,407 comments
I also find myself liking the BMW i3. Though, where I live, you almost never see them.
1200px-BMW_i3_01.jpg

I couldn't care less about most crossovers, but the Volvo XC40 I really like.

Easily the most stylish compact crossover a man can buy.

I think you're overplaying the "guilt is something one experiences" angle a little too...If anyone feels actual emotional guilt over liking a particular car, as they might if they were cheating on a partner or had run a red light, then they probably need their heads seeing to.
That's more an issue of intensity than of interpretation. I propose that an individual can feel guilty--as opposed to being seen as guilty--for liking something. I liken the intensity here more to "I feel guilty because I ate a fourth cookie when I told myself I would only eat three" than "I feel guilty for brutally slaying that family."

That's more an issue of intensity than of interpretation. I propose that an individual can feel guilty--as opposed to being seen as guilty--for liking something. I liken the intensity here more to "I feel guilty because I ate a fourth cookie when I told myself I would only eat three" than "I feel guilty for brutally slaying that family."
I like the example, but I'm not sure the intensity of a guilty pleasure car is even worth measuring on such a scale. It's a bit of an odd concept in the first place - the idea you should feel some kind of shame simply for liking a particular car - but if it applies at all, then the definition further up should be considered the way it's applied, and cars posted in this thread should ideally fit that theme. If a car is considered by most of the automotive world to be pretty good or pretty interesting, this isn't the thread in which to post it.

I'm not sure the intensity of a guilty pleasure car is even worth measuring on such a scale.
It isn't...at all. My point is that my issue is over interpretation of the word rather than intensity, where your initial response seemed to question the intensity with which one feels guilt and whether one needs to. If the confusion is on my end, fine.

To clarify; my point is that because an individual can both be found guilty of (which is the conventional interpretation of the word for the turn of phrase, but obviously they're not likely to be penalized for this guilt...intensity works that way too and still isn't the point) and feel guilty for, I believe both should be used freely. Should an individual specify to avoid confusion? Perhaps. But because I really don't care whether my opinion conforms to that of the masses, I'm far more likely to "feel guilty" (again, interpretation not intensity...I don't really feel guilty) for liking something that isn't the sort of thing I'm inclined to like.

I'm far more likely to "feel guilty" (again, interpretation not intensity...I don't really feel guilty) for liking something that isn't the sort of thing I'm inclined to like.
That's fair enough. But can we agree that if say, the thing you're not usually inclined to like is an Aston Martin DB9 or a Ferrari F40, then it still shouldn't really go in this thread as a "guilty pleasure" because, personal feelings or not, cars like that (and to a lesser extent, a Mazda 6 or the Hennessey VelociRaptor I originally commented on) are things that most people could legitimately like?

I mean... I like small, lightweight cars as a rule. Kei cars, lightweight sports cars, city cars, peoples' cars. I'm not inclined to like muscle cars as a result. I do like muscle cars, but it's not a guilty pleasure to like them regardless of whether they're outside my normal preferences or not...

This thread would be a lot less interesting if people kept posting stuff like this, rather than things like these.

shouldn't really go in this thread
tumblr_ma628lRwNr1rcg3xpo1_500.gif

In all seriousness, because my issue with the turn of phrase is on a fundamental level, no.

You say you like muscle cars, and therefor it's not uncharacteristic of you to like muscle cars, so that may well not be a guilty pleasure either in the traditional sense or my avant-garde interpretation.

I loathe--I mean with a passion that I suspect others can't quite wrap their head around--the overwhelming majority of BMWs because I associate them with innumerable encounters I've had with BMW drivers* in 28 years as an avid cyclist. I actually thought a classic such as an 02-series was immune to the prevailing "I'm driving a BMW so I don't need to treat others with respect or even follow traffic laws" mentality, but I've had similar experiences with them in recent years, likely due to their increasing popularity as of late. That said, I believe (and have posted to reflect this) "Neue Klasse" four-doors are still immune because they're not quite as desirable and aren't on these idiots' collective radar. To this end, I consider these cars a guilty pleasure.

As for the VelociRaptor...I think it's an entirely legitimate guilty pleasure (in the traditional sense) because when you couple questionable business practices associated with John Hennessey's name (no matter how fervently and/or profanely he disputes them on forums) with utter and absolute douchebaggery I witness being exhibited by Raptor drivers (and drivers of lifted trucks in general, though the availability of the Raptor seems to have made this behavior more common) on a regular basis, I'm inclined to say punishment for liking them is warranted.

*Obviously BMW drivers aren't alone in this--it's actually very common with Prius drivers as well, despite the fact that you'd think there'd be a sort of camaraderie in a "brotherhood of fuel-savers" sense, but no--and not all BMW drivers are guilty of this, but I have no reason to dislike the brand on a whole were these experiences not factored. And it doesn't seem to carry over to BMW motorcyclists, but I chalk that up to bikers being similarly exposed on the road and treating others as they'd want to be treated.

Anyway, it's probably time to return this thread to a business-as-usual state until this comes up again, should that happen.

1990s Fiat Cinquecento

Usually when we think of Italian cars, exotic supercars or ultra-expensive classics come to mind. Not low-cost compact cars like this one. I don't know what it is, but something seems oddly appealing about owning a 1990s Italian econobox. Part of it's charm is that it's not that typical Italian hypercar you fantasize over. That being said, I have no idea how these cars hold up mechanically, and what the ride quality is like...

2003-2005 Suzuki Twin

Look at it, it's a tiny egg on wheels. Without a doubt it's one of the cutest looking cars of the modern era, and it's one of my favorite kei machines of the 21st-century, just because of the styling alone. Suzuki had made the Twin to compete with the Smart Fortwo (they were very similar in size), but it didn't do the greatest job of it, and received mainly negative reviews, due to the fact that it accelerated poorly and felt cheaply made inside. Curiously enough, one could buy a Twin with a typical gas-powered engine, or it could be bought in hybrid-electric form. The regular Twin made 36 horsepower, and the electric model cranked out 43. The Twin was also the first hybrid kei-car to ever reach production.​

I already mentioned the Matrix XRS. But I figured I'd mention the Toyota Corolla XRS. Never realized just how high revving those Yamaha tuned engines were. Definitely a sleeper today!

Having driven a Corolla S of that vintage and ridden in an Elise with that motor, it is strange to imagine some sort of compromise between both cars, but it sure looks fun.

There’s one in my garage. I’m not going to say it’s great, but it’s not all that bad either. I’ve done a few longer road trips with it and it managed just fine and was decently comfortable, that’s about all you can ask for from a cheap econo-box (I use the term econo loosely).

But hey, if you want to go through life letting the internet decide what you like and don’t like, don’t let me stop you.

Last edited:
People still don't like Korean cars, but I'm growing to like their exterior design. Quite a fan of the Kia Forte5 (I believe it's the C'eed, internationally?). A rather attractive hatch that I kind of wish I'd see more of on the roads.

I went into the Detroit Auto Show being a bit of a Korean car fan, and I came away as a bigger fan of what they're doing. I see a lot fewer features touted on many of them in comparison to other brands, but to me that's part of the appeal. They can really come as no-nonsense cars with everything you need and nothing you don't. I was really disappointed to see the common VWs, Chevys, and Fords (among other everyday car manufacturers) pretty swamped with people oogling and ogling the cars and standing in a line to sit in them, while I was able to easily walk right up to the brand new Veloster N in performance blue and hop right in.

The only Korean car that had any real interest in it was the Stinger GT, most others were overlooked completely.

There’s one in my garage. I’m not going to say it’s great, but it’s not all that bad either. I’ve done a few longer road trips with it and it managed just fine and was decently comfortable, that’s about all you can ask for from a cheap econo-box (I use the term econo loosely).

But hey, if you want to go through life letting the internet decide what you like and don’t like, don’t let me stop you.

I mean, if you want no-name thrills, the PT Turbo is relatively quick, isn't it?

I mean, if you want no-name thrills, the PT Turbo is relatively quick, isn't it?

Sadly I don’t have a turbo so I can’t comment, but even still it can get up to highway speeds easily enough and has no problem cruising at 80mph. I certainly would auto cross it or anything, but I don’t think they ever had that in mind.

It’s also spacious enough for me to sleep in if I take out the back seats (don’t buy cheap tents).

Sadly I don’t have a turbo so I can’t comment, but even still it can get up to highway speeds easily enough and has no problem cruising at 80mph. I certainly would auto cross it or anything, but I don’t think they ever had that in mind.

It’s also spacious enough for me to sleep in if I take out the back seats (don’t buy cheap tents).

From cursory Googling, it's using the same powerplant as the SRT-4. So it would definitely be fast.

From cursory Googling, it's using the same powerplant as the SRT-4. So it would definitely be fast.

I do have the 2.4, just sans turbo. I’m guessing most people that say it’s horrible have only experienced the 2.0L or 1.6L versions.

I do have the 2.4, just sans turbo. I’m guessing most people that say it’s horrible have only experienced the 2.0L or 1.6L versions.
The NA EDZ 2.4 really doesn't seem to be a bad engine. My Stratus has the same engine in it, and it has enough power to get out of its own way, but for me the transmission is probably one of the weaker points. 3 gears with overdrive makes it so 2nd ends at about 70 mph and 3rd doesn't top out until around 105 (definitely NOT personal experience ;) ).

Dan
God, why did I ever make that post? :yuck:
To be fair, you made it three-and-a-half years ago (why would someone reply to it now?), and perhaps you're no longer the version of you who appreciates the car.

Although I don't hate SUVs/crossovers as much as some, I don't like those that look overdesigned and I much prefer clean lines. For instance, I find the Nissan Juke garish but I absolutely love the lastest VW Tiguan.

However, there is one with a funky design that I like. I have no idea why I like it, but ever since I first saw one in person I quite like it.
2016_toyota_c-hr_ext_dyn_01.jpg
2016_toyota-chr_12t_mte_dynamic_06.jpg

Back