*Avoid if you don't like people moaning* Rant: My GTS frustrations and disappointments

Very easily if you think about it. Hundreds of thousands of GTPlanet members verses millions of buyers. Or do you think the casuals are the minority?

Maybe not every sim racing fan likes reading and writing in forums :) and there's more forums and sources to read, not only gtplanet.

Last edited:
All the whining about the online part of the game really amazes me.

We live in a freaking online world and all is connected with eachother.
My home thermostat is controlable from anywhere on this rocky thing we call earth.

If one is 5 minutes without wifi/3G/4G we feel so lonely. No more mail, twitter, FB, whatever. We can no longer share our lives with the other 7 billion peeps.
Now there is a videogame, that takes this online behaviour of us all, and makes it all about sharing the racing experience with the world and now it’s a not done subject.

I’m not saying that GT Sport is a perfect world. There is plenty to overcome and change. But PD took a new road, and also needs to learn.
Give it time, and they will adjust. It!s for them and us a learning project.

Be part of it, enjoy it or not, it’s all up to yourselves.
No one is expecting the online part of GTS to function without an online connection or more importantly PDs servers being online.

The issue is that should you not be connected and / or PDs servers be down the only thing you are left with is an arcade mode you can't save!

Everything else, including what are totally offline functions are impossible to use. Not only is it unprecedented in terms of GT, but in racing games in total.

Maybe not every sim racing fan likes reading and writing in forums :) and there's more forums to read, not only gtplanet.
We are the largest one on the planet, as such if we can't manage to get the attention of even a fraction of the total purchase base for a single GT title maybe not everyone who buys it is a hardcore racing fan.

I've been at GTP for six GT launches (main titles and prologues) and a significant percentage of the new 'die hard Uber GT fans' who have joined with GTS will not still be active six months from now.

The position that any game is made up of a large percentage of casual fans who only play for a short period of time, and a much smaller percentage of dedicated fans who do stick with it, is supported by the largest data set possible. The trophy system.

As such that's not the extraordinary position requiring further evidence, the one that claims the majority are dedicated fans who will stick the distance is. As it's not supported by any evidence shown do far.

Last edited:
I've been at GTP for six GT launches (main titles and prologues) and a significant percentage of the new 'die hard Uber GT fans' who have joined with GTS will not still be active six months from now

You are so right there

My home thermostat is controlable from anywhere on this rocky thing we call earth.

Does your thermostat cease to work if it's offline? No? Oh, so it's a poor comparison then.

If one is 5 minutes without wifi/3G/4G we feel so lonely. No more mail, twitter, FB, whatever. We can no longer share our lives with the other 7 billion peeps.
Now there is a videogame, that takes this online behaviour of us all, and makes it all about sharing the racing experience with the world and now it’s a not done subject.

Speak for yourself. Perhaps you feel lonely if you're away from the internet for 5 minutes, but that's a pretty severe internet addiction and you should probably have someone look into that. The rest of us function just fine away from the internet, but it's irritating when a product doesn't function without online for no particularly good reason. Especially when it's not my net that's the problem, it's that Sony or PD have decided to drop their services for whatever reason and lock me out of the game.

Does your thermostat cease to work if it's offline? No? Oh, so it's a poor comparison then.

The internet of things is not known down under ??

So thermostat was maybe a wrong one. It was a figure of speech.
What meant was that there are so many things that rely on the online world to function. Try a bitcoin without online fuction. You can only stare at your screenshot of your balance. (if you didn’t save in the cloud that is)

But i agree that it is an issue that you can not save when PD servers are offline. It’s a choice. Lets assume that they had plenty brainwave-sessions to determine how they would do it. This is their choice, it’s yours to like it or not.

So thermostat was maybe a wrong one. It was a figure of speech.
What meant was that there are so many things that rely on the online world to function. Try a bitcoin without online fuction. You can only stare at your screenshot of your balance. (if you didn’t save in the cloud that is)

But i agree that it is an issue that you can not save when PD servers are offline. It’s a choice. Lets assume that they had plenty brainwave-sessions to determine how they would do it. This is their choice, it’s yours to like it or not.

Maybe they can change that choice in the next update, I hope so. Since GT5, Gran Turismo has always improved in a lot of areas after their release dates.

I’m not saying that GT Sport is a perfect world. There is plenty to overcome and change. But PD took a new road, and also needs to learn.

And when the PD servers go down as they have done numerous times so far causing people not to be able to play or save progress?

It's well known. It's simply not a good comparison to GTS. Your thermostat still works when not connected to the internet. GTS "works", but only in the broadest sense of the word.

What meant was that there are so many things that rely on the online world to function.

There are, but they are things that by nature do not function without online.

Tell me again why I need online to save the results of an arcade race. Or create a livery, or a photo. Those things don't require online in any sense, it's simply poor design by Polyphony and it should continue to be called out.

It is a choice, and it's a moronic one. I don't like it. I will continue to say so, because I hope that they will change it and not cripple what appears to be a small but interesting game with a ridiculous save mechanism.

Also, I wouldn't assume that they had plenty of "brainwave sessions" to make that decision. Serious game designers wouldn't have designed it like that. That's either something that comes down from management as a "DRM that's not really DRM", or it's something that they fobbed off on an intern.

Honestly, you don't think that basically anyone on this forum could come up with a better implementation? Despite all of us not being game designers? Don't assume malicious intent for what is adequately explained by stupidity.

It is a choice, and it's a moronic one. I don't like it. I will continue to say so, because I hope that they will change it and not cripple what appears to be a small but interesting game with a ridiculous save mechanism.

Also, I wouldn't assume that they had plenty of "brainwave sessions" to make that decision. Serious game designers wouldn't have designed it like that. That's either something that comes down from management as a "DRM that's not really DRM", or it's something that they fobbed off on an intern.

I’m not saying that PD did it right. Could be that they are forced. Not by management, but this other big player that still needs to make its appearance in the game.
FIA is in my humble opinion the one that wants to prevent (demands) offline cheating. So how to prevent this??? One solution, you (FIA/PD) control the data. Don’t let someone else have the possibility to access save data.

I’m working in a job, that seperates me, and my home office half a world at times. Nice that we all carry the company laptop. But, with out internet, not possible to get the companies documents. Server down in the HO, no data.
Laptop ****** up while abroad, and need access to certain settings........forget it, all behind adminstrator passwords. Oh, by the way, our IT department works only during normal office hours, monday till friday. No public holdiays.

We all together can think of better possibilities, options and ways to improve the game and the options within it.
I can only hope that PD management has some one reading these forums, and actualy does something with the information hidden in all these posts.
That way it can only improve.

The same reason the tires are called Comfort, Sport, and Racing... Not based in reality.
Well, I'd say they are.

Comfort are the "normal" car tires, that pretty much 99% of all road cars have fitted, which are balanced between wear/noise/grip/economy.

x200-Goodyear-Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2-SUV.jpg

Sport are semi-slick tires, which most high-performance road cars have fitted as standard, and that regular people can buy for their tuned cars, which have a significantly better grip on dry warm roads, but wear out a lot qucker, and are more expensive.

12774494698.jpg

Racing tires are slick tires, which are normally strictly used on racing cars, and which are not in the market and/or usage of regular people.

MTT-3055_CP(2)__26687.1379685231.jpg

On top of that you will notice that once again rolling starts are the norm, because again the standing starts show the issues with the tyre model, as tyres don't 'catch' in the way they should and you get no torque steer from the rear until the cars doing 20mph.

Add in the TC that activates almost constantly on every car.

I don't really think TC blipping on at the moment you touch the throttle is an issue. Yes its not realistic, but in reality it doesn't effect your driving what so ever. The game will also not recreate the cars real-life TC system at all, which is why I just turn it off straight away. It's a game aid, not a true to life replicated driving feature.

Also, (tyre issues), RWD cars will also only turn on-launch if the grip is different on the rear tyres or the diff is giving 1 wheel more power for whatever reason. The game is very digital. The tarmac will have perfectly even grip on both tyres and the diff / etc will be perfect. This "exact" digital environment is always going to hide real-life nuances imo. FF torque steer for example, what do you do for pad users? Introduce steering they have to correct? I can understand leaving that out. Also in the vid at the end, the spinning did start (albeit subtly) straight away.

Have you tried starting at Brands? There we have a distinct angle on the track, giving the game enough difference to do this rear-wheel-drive spin you want. It's there.

Launches not biting.... If you're using grippy tyres and are gentle with the throttle it definitely bites. I've had plenty of starts bog down due to being too-careful and had to ride the torque until the power comes in.

Also, the brakes, they're fine imo, but I game on a pad, and coming from a track-motorcycle background using my hands for braking is natural for me. Trail braking, it digging in then braking too hard and under steering, it all seems pretty nice to me.

I feel people are a tad too picky

That's what happens when you build a brand over a twenty year period and over that time barely change the product.

People buy it out of habit, and when twenty years of brand goes they are going to complain, and personally I don't blame them.

I honestly don't get how people are still struggling with the rather basic and obvious concept that the majority of people who buy Gran Turismo are not die-hard racing game fans. They are average gamers who don't expect a franchise that has refused to change its basic structure for twenty years to actually change.
Well,I'm not a die hard racing fan, haven't been at this forum for years until around the time demo came out, been playing Battlefield 1for the last 9 months or so. Bought and played gt3,4 and 5 so I know what go expect from gt titles. What bugs me the most is: How the hell did I managened not to buy Gtsport out of habit like you suggest average gamers do? What do you mean that average gamers do not expect change when new title arrives? You see an announcement, your wanna see what's new, right? Especially if the title doesn't have the number 7 as would be expected, or you're gonna claim that the 'Sport' part in the title has nothing to do with the change of the game's structure? Tell me, did people expect to get full gt5 when they bought gt5 prolouge? Or they have just maybe stoped for a minute when they saw 'Prologue' and read something about it before they bought it? This whole theory about average gamers buying games out of habit is completely indigestable to me. They're not buying a pack of gum, for crying out loud.

Well,I'm not a die hard racing fan, haven't been at this forum for years until around the time demo came out, been playing Battlefield 1for the last 9 months or so. Bought and played gt3,4 and 5 so I know what go expect from gt titles. What bugs me the most is: How the hell did I managened not to buy Gtsport out of habit like you suggest average gamers do? What do you mean that average gamers do not expect change when new title arrives? You see an announcement, your wanna see what's new, right? Especially if the title doesn't have the number 7 as would be expected, or you're gonna claim that the 'Sport' part in the title has nothing to do with the change of the game's structure? Tell me, did people expect to get full gt5 when they bought gt5 prolouge? Or they have just maybe stoped for a minute when they saw 'Prologue' and read something about it before they bought it? This whole theory about average gamers buying games out of habit is completely indigestable to me. They're not buying a pack of gum, for crying out loud.

:lol: Why is it difficult to understand folk are different, out of GT5, GT6, PCARS, PCARS2, GTSPORT I only looked into PC2 and GTS, and then I didnt really go deep into detail. Not buying a pack of chewing gum no, but they’re not buying a house either.

The guys I play football with year in year out, purchase the new fifa, neither of them research it, if it was to suddenly all become online they would jump ship to PES why? Because they dont play online.

What may be indigestible to you may just be the norm for someone else. A little empathy, understanding...

:lol: Why is it difficult to understand folk are different, out of GT5, GT6, PCARS, PCARS2, GTSPORT I only looked into PC2 and GTS, and then I didnt really go deep into detail. Not buying a pack of chewing gum no, but they’re not buying a house either.

The guys I play football with year in year out, purchase the new fifa, neither of them research it, if it was to suddenly all become online they would jump ship to PES why? Because they dont play online.

What may be indigestible to you may just be the norm for someone else. A little empathy, understanding...
Oh i think your Fifa friends saw a preview or two before they bought it. The thing about gt sport is that it was a big change, and it stir up some feathers, not sure how you could have missed it.

I’m not saying that PD did it right. Could be that they are forced. Not by management, but this other big player that still needs to make its appearance in the game.
FIA is in my humble opinion the one that wants to prevent (demands) offline cheating. So how to prevent this??? One solution, you (FIA/PD) control the data. Don’t let someone else have the possibility to access save data.

Prevent offline cheating?

What exactly is that and what does it have to do with the FIA.

Besides, there's not exactly much indication that the FIA has imposed anything on the game outside of selling a rubber stamp. Half of the cars and tracks are imaginary, and are made in such a way that they would never, ever be accepted for racing in the real world. Despite the penalty system (which is apparently quite abusable) there's no damage in Sport mode, which is kind of the primary "penalty" system in real world racing.

They didn't bother to have a say in any of these things, yet you're suggesting that they imposed a restriction on Polyphony that they must have online only saves even for the offline portions of the game? This from the FIA, who probably wouldn't know a save file from a string bean, giving advice to a two decade old first party developer for the most popular console on the planet?

Uh huh. I'll believe it when I see it. Unless you've got some sort of evidence to support it, it's Polyphony's game and they're ultimately responsible for everything that goes into it. They dun goofed. And they dun goofed all by themselves. They don't need you to make excuses for them.

Neither does GT Sport, like thermostat, it looses some of it's functionalities. So it's an appropriate comparison.

A thermostat without connection to the internet still functions as a less swanky thermostat. The basic functionality remains intact.
GTS without connection to the internet is reduced to arcade mode only and you cannot save any of your progress. You cannot use the vast majority of the functionality, and for a game with progression baked into it turning that off is not trivial either.

At the most basic level they both lose some functionality, but the difference lies in the scale of the loss. Losing a wing mirror on a car is a loss of functionality, but it's not really that impactful. Losing the fuel tank is somewhat more impactful. Technically the car will still run, you're just not going anywhere.

Oh i think your Fifa friends saw a preview or two before they bought it.

I can 100% guarantee they don’t, only one out of the 11 have PS+ excluding me.

not sure how you could have missed it.

I didn’t I had a many page debate with scaff over its new direction in the GTS general discussion, with that said my above example shows very well that its easily possible for others to have not.

Just because that's the way you think doesn't mean everyone else will think the same way.

I'm a member of this site. I kept up to date on GTS. I know what it's about. I haven't bought it.

This month on Plus I downloaded Sky Force Anniversary. Never even heard of it before. I have hardly played anything else since I first tried it. I then searched for old school shooters on the PSN. Then I checked YouTube and my favoured review sites to sort the good ones from the less good ones before deciding what to buy.

This is me though. It doesn't mean everyone else does the same thing.

Also, (tyre issues), RWD cars will also only turn on-launch if the grip is different on the rear tyres or the diff is giving 1 wheel more power for whatever reason. The game is very digital. The tarmac will have perfectly even grip on both tyres and the diff / etc will be perfect. This "exact" digital environment is always going to hide real-life nuances imo.

See, but that's not what prevents the rear of RWD cars stepping out. Because the power is almost always transmitted through a driveshaft that applies a torque to the diff/rear axle, it's basically impossible for the rear tyres to have exactly equal grip. One side will be getting pressed down by the rotation, the other lifted up. Hence the differential grip on each side. That's why "good" sims model that, because it's actually a reasonably significant part of the driving experience both for launching and for hard acceleration while you're rolling.

In a digital environment it should actually be more obvious, if anything. In real life road surface imperfections can hide it, but we all know that GTS has some perfectly flat surfaces.

GTS doesn't model that drivetrain torque, or at best it fakes it only after 20mph. Which suggests that at the very least they have a two part tyre model, and that they're probably still working with Pacejka above 20mph and some sort of bastardised hybrid with locked variables that gives roughly the right behaviours at low speed (and hope that no one pays too much attention). That was kind of the state of the art 10 or 15 years ago, but in 2017 pretty much everyone has moved past that to more advanced models.

Expecting GTS to have physics on the same level as something like pCARS2 is probably a bit much, but they could certainly do better than they have. Especially if they want to hold themselves up as a realistic motorsport simulation. In many ways there's still a pretty straight line from GTS back to the physics of GT3, or even earlier.

When I bought it I had looked done my research into it and found what it was before I committed, as I like racing online it sold it straight off for me. I liked Iracing and it sounded very similar with a few single player stuff added. I raced earlier , the first one was great was in p4 made a mistake , went off track dropped to 10th, second race got to p4 , was punted off and slipped to p9/p10 kept going and got back to 2nd. I have no issues with it personally. You have to also think that there could be kids 3 years upwards playing and be tolerant that everyone is not as good or as bad as yourself, its just thinking shall I just let them past if they are quicker and try and follow putting pressure on them or fight for a position and lose time and be caught by those behind? These are just games really. To be serious maybe buy a car cheap (real) and do track days , autotests/autosolos etc...Then you either find out you can drive or cant. lol

Imari: I see your point but I just don't think these things matter. Above 20mph its alright, below 20mph I haven't sat there in a race scenario and gone "thats ridiculous". I haven't even noticed this 20mph changeover at all (it may not even be there). It's all plenty good enough for what it aims to do. Other sims won't model the torque differences due to all that stuff you said, they'll almost certainly be varying it though (faking it).

I love standing starts, trying to not bog but not spin up too much. I play GT3 (Gr.3) and Brands always has the rear out on the inside. Testing stuff "scientifically" doesn't amount to anything in my opinion. It's the overall experience that counts. All driving models will be faking loads of things at some level.

I still have a few reservations too when people talk about what a "sim" should do or not do.

I remember being involved in PCars 1 and had the old stig working on it, and even he said traditional sims are obsessed with "being on the edge" and end up with harder to drive models compared to real life.

I don't really think TC blipping on at the moment you touch the throttle is an issue. Yes its not realistic, but in reality it doesn't effect your driving what so ever. The game will also not recreate the cars real-life TC system at all, which is why I just turn it off straight away. It's a game aid, not a true to life replicated driving feature.
It doesn't just start the moment you touch the throttle, it occurs on a number of occasions it shouldn't.

Is it in itself a problem? Well not really, but it does indicate that an underlying issue exists with some part of the physics engine, and it something being labeled as a sim that's worth discussing.

As for not recreating real world TC systems, why not? Other sims on the market do, so why not GTS?

Also, (tyre issues), RWD cars will also only turn on-launch if the grip is different on the rear tyres or the diff is giving 1 wheel more power for whatever reason. The game is very digital. The tarmac will have perfectly even grip on both tyres and the diff / etc will be perfect. This "exact" digital environment is always going to hide real-life nuances imo. FF torque steer for example, what do you do for pad users? Introduce steering they have to correct? I can understand leaving that out. Also in the vid at the end, the spinning did start (albeit subtly) straight away.
No car, and I mean no car, has identical levels of grip on each tyre. The reasons quite simple, with driver and fluids not car is perfectly symmetrical in terms of load distribution, so no two tyres have the exact level of grip and no two wheels will have the exact same amount of power delivered to them.

Also the spinning didn't start straight away, I know, I was the one driving.

Have you tried starting at Brands? There we have a distinct angle on the track, giving the game enough difference to do this rear-wheel-drive spin you want. It's there.
It should do it on a perfectly flat and level surface, it doesn't, which indicates an issue with the tyre model.

Launches not biting.... If you're using grippy tyres and are gentle with the throttle it definitely bites. I've had plenty of starts bog down due to being too-careful and had to ride the torque until the power comes in.
You may need to rewatch, I said they don't bite realistically. Of course they bite, the car would never move if they didn't, but they don't do it how they should.

Also, the brakes, they're fine imo, but I game on a pad, and coming from a track-motorcycle background using my hands for braking is natural for me. Trail braking, it digging in then braking too hard and under steering, it all seems pretty nice to me.
I run a set of T3PA Pro pedals and the braking isn't realistic at all with them, the progression is linear, which it shouldn't be - it should build more as you apply more force. Now that works well with a pad, but feels very unnatural with pedals, the braking also gives almost no feedback via a wheel as well.

I feel people are a tad too picky
Why shouldn't we be?

GT often gets touted as a sim, I've had more than enough claim that its the best sim around, the strap-line for it calls it the 'real driving simulator'.

Given that its perfectly fair to examine that, particularly when plenty of sims do simulate these areas far better. Even more infuriatingly PD have done this better, as none of these issues were present in the Copper Box build I drove over a year ago.

I can 100% guarantee they don’t, only one out of the 11 have PS+ excluding me
What does having ps+ have to do with looking at previews on youtube or somewhere else.
What I forgot to mention is that you can't compare Fifa series that comes out every year, to gt wich has circa 4 years cycle. Ea sports is not a publisher that takes risks, so it is a safe bet that fifa 2018 will be pretty much like fifa 2017, 16,15...

Yeah, good luck enjoying the game if PD’s servers are down or undergoing maintenance when you want to play.

It doesn't just start the moment you touch the throttle, it occurs on a number of occasions it shouldn't.

Is it in itself a problem? Well not really, but it does indicate that an underlying issue exists with some part of the physics engine, and it something being labeled as a sim that's worth discussing.

It indicates that the in-game TC light likes to come on at various times where you wouldn't expect, this could be for any reason, maybe even as part of the stability management helper and not the TC you're thinking of at all. Making the large assumption this is automatically tyre-model related is unfounded in my opinion.

As for not recreating real world TC systems, why not? Other sims on the market do, so why not GTS?

Because it really isn't important.

No car, and I mean no car, has identical levels of grip on each tyre. The reasons quite simple, with driver and fluids not car is perfectly symmetrical in terms of load distribution, so no two tyres have the exact level of grip and no two wheels will have the exact same amount of power delivered to them.

I meant in-game, in-game its highly likely both tyres will be equal, where the model recreates the result faithfully with the data at hand.

Even more infuriatingly PD have done this better, as none of these issues were present in the Copper Box build I drove over a year ago.

I still think everything you've said is extremely minor and things will be a trade-off with computing power used by the game engine and graphics, sound, etc.

The overall package is largely unaffected by these things, it would be nice sure, but it's GT, it isn't a full sim (it's getting there) and never will be imo (hope I'm wrong). But it's made a good jump here and is a blast.

Do all other sims have fuel maps ? GT has fuel maps. While we're talking about it, GT has made a nice focus on fuel/pit strategy, it's a cool new aspect.

Can all other "sims" be called a sim when they might not have fuel maps? I'm being pedantic, but there is more to a game or racing sim, than the tyre model recreating these isolated events.

EDIT: I don't want to cause offence btw, might sound confrontational but it's not supposed to. No hard feelings :D

Last edited:
thermostat without connection to the internet still functions as a less swanky thermostat. The basic functionality remains intact.
GTS without connection to the internet is reduced to arcade mode only and you cannot save any of your progress. You cannot use the vast majority of the functionality, and for a game with progression baked into it turning that off is not trivial either
So it doesn't cease to work like you said? It is a racing game, and in arcade mode you get to race with other cars on track,yes? Seems it has it's basic function! As for the saving part, that sucks, but maybe it will be fixed, or maybe is really neccessary.

So it doesn't cease to work like you said? It is a racing game, and in arcade mode you get to race with other cars on track,yes? Seems it has it's basic function! As for the saving part, that sucks, but maybe it will be fixed, or maybe is really neccessary.
I have a feeling that the FIA will of wanted it, because of the history of Save File modding.

Just because that's the way you think doesn't mean everyone else will think the same way.

I'm a member of this site. I kept up to date on GTS. I know what it's about. I haven't bought it.

This month on Plus I downloaded Sky Force Anniversary. Never even heard of it before. I have hardly played anything else since I first tried it. I then searched for old school shooters on the PSN. Then I checked YouTube and my favoured review sites to sort the good ones from the less good ones before deciding what to buy.

This is me though. It doesn't mean everyone else does the same thing.
But do you think that we should feel sorry about people who rush into buying this game? I mean you obviously took time and effort to make a buying decision, others did not. What is their excuse?

But do you think that we should feel sorry about people who rush into buying this game? I mean you obviously took time and effort to make a buying decision, others did not. What is their excuse?
I'd have to. I bought GT3 back in the day, before I even had dial up internet, without knowing anything about it at all other than it was the new game on the new system. :ouch:

I do remember being disappointed about the lack of content as well! :lol:

I have a feeling that the FIA will of wanted it, because of the history of Save File modding.

I read officially that was the case. I have tried to find that reference but can't. It is still probably overkill but then again I didn't develop the game so I don't know.

I feel sorry that they did not get the game they were expecting but I do agree that the information was there for them to make a informed decision.

Back