*Avoid if you don't like people moaning* Rant: My GTS frustrations and disappointments

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is quite sad and pathetic really, on my part, to take to a forum to moan about a computer game, in such a trivial manner. But hopefully this will help ease my tortured soul with this game.

The brakes - From the second I played this game, the braking feeling sensation felt all wrong, well not wrong if you went outside to your cars' disc brakes and sprayed a full can of WD-40 onto each disc rotor, then you might get a similar real life braking simulation to Gran Turismo Sport.

The rally driving - Honestly, if I met the person who rubber stamped the approval for the rallying parts, I'd need holding back from physical violence. One of the most frustrating experiences on a computer game I've ever had. Not only do the brakes once more feel like they've had the WD-40 treatment, but the tyres might as well be made from ice with extra lashings of grease frozen in, if this is meant to be a simulation of rally driving, then I say forget the 'simming' for a moment and think about the actual usability.

'Sport' mode - A few people have mentioned this now, it's just a frustration. I never have liked online with other people, no matter what game I've been playing, but as this is the bulk of this game, I decided to change my frame of mind to get into it. A couple of races in and I found myself mid pack and accidentally punting people up the backside for my brakes have WD-40 applied after all. Then I qualified well (2nd) at Brands Hatch, thinking, 'oooh, I could win this' how dumb was I to think that?! Other people clearly get the WD-40 brake treatment too, and one lap from the end, someone punted me up the backside and into the gravel at Paddock Hill, race over 2nd to 16th, half an hour wasted with the waiting times to race too.
So now I feel like I just can't be bothered to play what is essentially the bulk of the game for it being too damn frustrating.

I don't know why I'm ranting like this, as I have plenty of other games I find difficult, or frustrating, but with those I just don't bother playing with them again. I think it's where I've always spent a lot of gaming time on this franchise, have enjoyed some good gaming with it in the past, and have similar expectations for the future of my gaming. Now I feel let down, I feel like I've lost a friend on my gaming endeavors.

I do apologise if this has negged anyone out, this game has realllllllly cheesed me, as it's almost there, it's graphically great, load times are okay and to finally get Porsche on board is a positive, as is some of the AI racing I've experienced on the missions.

@Mansabadman

I agree with you on the brakes which I think need to be sorted as I think they need to give the option to give proper linear control rather than the system varying the amount of braking it thinks you need for every given corner (which is deceleration/ speed related). They have been deliberately setup it up to make the cars 'easier to drive' but this has the adverse effect of giving you far less sensitivity particularly if you use any form of resistance braking. It is very pronounced on the approach to slow and medium speed corners from a low-moderate speed where you have to press the brake pedal a significant amount to get the required braking and weight over the front end. Not good.

This has no impact on gameplay but I was amazed to see the Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016 has the interior from the 2015 model but the steering wheel from the 2016 car. I think that is crazy considering how proud PD is of it's stunning car modelling.

You can see below that GTS has the correct steering wheel, but has the rear view camera in the wrong position and the button controls have a very different layout.

Screenshot_20171029-144533.png
Gran Turismo Sport / 919 Hybrid 2016

PS_Messages_20171029_144143.jpg
Assetto Corsa / 919 Hybrid 2016

PS_Messages_20171029_144137.jpg

Assetto Corsa / 919 Hybrid 2015​

@Mansabadman

I agree with you on the brakes which I think need to be sorted as I think they need to give the option to give proper linear control rather than the system varying the amount of braking it thinks you need for every given corner (which is deceleration/ speed related). They have been deliberately setup it up to make the cars 'easier to drive' but this has the adverse effect of giving you far less sensitivity particularly if you use any form of resistance braking. It is very pronounced on the approach to slow and medium speed corners from a low-moderate speed where you have to press the brake pedal a significant amount to get the required braking and weight over the front end. Not good.

Pleased I'm not alone in thinking this, and thanks for hearing out my ranty whine!

The only time I've experienced brakes like this, either in gaming or real life was when my pads and discs were knackered and I had to brake rather quickly from 80mph down to about 20mph and a new pair of pants almost had to be emergency purchased. But as you say, there is no lineal progression and definitely no bite. Do you think what we are playing with right now isn't the finished article, and given time they'll iron all this out?

This has no impact on gameplay but I was amazed to see the Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016 has the interior from the 2015 model but the steering wheel from the 2016 car. I think that is crazy considering how proud PD is of it's stunning car modelling.

You can see below that GTS has the correct steering wheel, but has the rear view camera in the wrong position and the button controls have a very different layout.

View attachment 684912 Gran Turismo Sport / 919 Hybrid 2016

View attachment 684913 Assetto Corsa / 919 Hybrid 2016

View attachment 684914

That's very observant, Paul. I would never have noticed personally. I'm stuck with scratching my head over the mechanics of the game for the time being. Reckon we've been fobbed off with a sub rate product?

That's very observant, Paul. I would never have noticed personally. I'm stuck with scratching my head over the mechanics of the game for the time being. Reckon we've been fobbed off with a sub rate product?
Well, I love LMP cars so I take in every detail! To be perfectly honest with you I have not yet bought the game. I am leaving GTS until Christmas as Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 are plenty for me until then. I noticed the modelling error during the demo.

View attachment 684912 Gran Turismo Sport / 919 Hybrid 2016

View attachment 684913 Assetto Corsa / 919 Hybrid 2016

View attachment 684914

The camera position in the 919 is more dependent on the drivers preference in the 919, car #1 had it in the middle, car #2 had it in directly infront of the driver in 2016, I can't say how I know this because I'll get into trouble.

I'm a little in awe due to the depth of knowledge you chaps are showing. Nice one.
I'll sleep a little bit better knowing this game is a bit rougher around the edges than first thought,

The camera position in the 919 is more dependent on the drivers preference in the 919, car #1 had it in the middle, car #2 had it in directly infront of the driver in 2016, I can't say how I know this because I'll get into trouble.
Ok thanks, I never knew this.
👍

Pleased I'm not alone in thinking this, and thanks for hearing out my ranty whine!

The only time I've experienced brakes like this, either in gaming or real life was when my pads and discs were knackered and I had to brake rather quickly from 80mph down to about 20mph and a new pair of pants almost had to be emergency purchased. But as you say, there is no lineal progression and definitely no bite. Do you think what we are playing with right now isn't the finished article, and given time they'll iron all this out?

Sounds like you were slowing down for something a bit more serious than a speed bump :)

Having said that, the current brake setup is very effective indeed for moderately heavy braking approaching medium speed corners using resistance braking, but it's the low-medium speed approach is where the system gives you not much pressure to slow down.

I don't know how PD become aware of these issues, but I can only assume the more users who notice, then the more likely it will get mended.

You're not the only one.

Braking is totally uncommunicative and not natural at all, rally needs throwing in the bin as it has almost no basis in reality.

On top of that you will notice that once again rolling starts are the norm, because again the standing starts show the issues with the tyre model, as tyres don't 'catch' in the way they should and you get no torque steer from the rear until the cars doing 20mph.

Add in the TC that activates almost constantly on every car.

The understeer FFB that is simply wrong, understeer that doesn't react correctly on FWD cars and the RR's still don't push on a steadily increasing throttle as they should, oh and just for good measure the lift off oversteer is far to mild as well.

GTS's physics are better than GT6's and arguably find for the market the title is aimed at, but its not the sim that some try and make it out to be.

Almost forgot - why can't we adjust tyre pressure still!

Sorry to hear about your bad impressions. There are a lot of things that could be improved for sure, but overall I'm quite satisfied personally about the experience.

I try to approach GTS rather calmly and with intuition. Today I focused 100% on the Gr.4 race in Sport Mode for instance. I started out by doing the circuit experience for the track, and then I bought a couple of Gr.4 cars and tried them out. Before the actual online race I tried the arcade race with professional setting, just to get used to traffic. When I was comfortable enough I qualified for an hour and then I entered the race with a really good time, giving me pole position. I won the race three times in a row and overall had a pretty collision free experience. You just need to have patience most of the time and be aware of your opponents. On my latest race there were three cars battling it out close to each other for almost two laps. I anticipated their behaviour and thought to myself: "they are probably gonna bounce into each other and lose the pace" . And exactly that happened on the last lap when all of them got a little bit too eager. I just waited the moment out and then I took the first gap I saw and went for it. One of the guys started weaving when he saw my sudden attack and thankfully the game punished him by making him a ghost, so I just went through him with good speed.

There are these days, where I'm all 100% focused on being a competitive driver. But then there's days where I can spend hours in the livery editor and photo mode. Overall I always tend to find something to enjoy in this game.

VBR
Good thread, not ranting at all imho, just calling it as it is. You're really not alone in anything you've said. 121 people & counting feel similarly here.

👍

Yeah cause a bunch of people don't even own the game review bombing Amazon is a really good indicator of how good a game is. I have no numbers to back it up, but I would guess that Amazon sold at least 1000's of copies of GT Sport and most of those people are out playing the game not whining on Amazon.

I agree there are issues which need to be ironed out and I hope they do make changes to the game to make everyone happy, but that whole Amazon thing reminds me of my kids. "if I can't have fun with a toy, i'll make sure no one does".

Yeah cause a bunch of people don't even own the game review bombing Amazon is a really good indicator of how good a game is. I have no numbers to back it up, but I would guess that Amazon sold at least 1000's of copies of GT Sport and most of those people are out playing the game not whining on Amazon.

I agree there are issues which need to be ironed out and I hope they do make changes to the game to make everyone happy, but that whole Amazon thing reminds me of my kids. "if I can't have fun with a toy, i'll make sure no one does".
Filter it by verified purchasers and compare the positive to negative ratio.

Then do the same for past GTs.

People who have bought the game are not happy, and far more of them as a proportion of buyers than for past GTs.

It's amusing how many folks bought a game with the premise of online e-sports racing, and expected it to be like previous Gran Turismos. The marketing material directly fro Polyphony tried to dissuade this (remember the commercials saying they were rebooting the premise of the game away from Car Pokemon Time Attack Career).

Filter it by verified purchasers and compare the positive to negative ratio.

Then do the same for past GTs.

People who have bought the game are not happy, and far more of them as a proportion of buyers than for past GTs.

I'll do that, but seriously any review that gives the game 1 star is not even to be counted in my mind. Nobody in their right mind would think that this is a 1 star game and review bombing 1 star reviews is just childish.

I'll do that, but seriously any review that gives the game 1 star is not even to be counted in my mind. Nobody in their right mind would think that this is a 1 star game and review bombing 1 star reviews is just childish.
Obviously you feel the same for 5 stars...

It's amusing how many folks bought a game with the premise of online e-sports racing, and expected it to be like previous Gran Turismos. The marketing material directly fro Polyphony tried to dissuade this (remember the commercials saying they were rebooting the premise of the game away from Car Pokemon Time Attack Career).

Are you sure?

Why?

Are people not entitled to a view on it if they have laid down money for it?

Now I don't think it's a 1 star title, 3 at best would be my score, but I'm not about to turn around and tell people that the subjective view they hold us wrong.

It sounds far more like you would simply like to bias the numbers to favour a result you would prefer.

Tell you what let's get rid of those fives as well, No way anyone could subjectivity say that it's a five.

Yes I'm sure.

The marketing copy from 40 seconds in tells you exactly what you need to know. No one who did 10 minutes of research got a surprise with this game.

Which assumes people watched that at all let alone all the way through.

At no point does it state that the entire GT mode is gone, nor does it tell me I will always need to be connected to the net and PDs servers.

It does show what appears to be far more cars than the final product has however.

You also forget that this is marketing material, GT also calls itself the real driving simulator, it's not.

Last edited:
Why?

Are people not entitled to a view on it if they have laid down money for it?

Now I don't think it's a 1 star title, 3 at best would be my score, but I'm not about to turn around and tell people that the subjective view they hold us wrong.

It sounds far more like you would simply like to bias the numbers to favour a result you would prefer.

Tell you what let's get rid of those fives as well, No way anyone could subjectivity say that it's a five.

A review is not a "view", it is a supposed to give perspective buyer information with which to make their purchase. If the reviews were written so that they reflected the issues perceived in the game and then given an appropriate score I would have no problem at all. Again as it is now it is punitive, not informative and childish at best.

It is objectively not a 1 star game and yes, I don't have the time to do it but excluding the 1 and the 5 star reviews would give you a clearer picture of what the satisfaction level truly is.

In it's current state I feel that the 75 metacritic score is actually pretty accurate but I have faith in Sony and Polyphony to elevate the agme through the promised dlc.

Which assumes people watched that at all let alone all the way through.

At no point does it state that the entire GT mode is gone, nor does it tell me I will always need to be connected to the net and PDs servers.

It does show what appears to be far more cars than the final product has however.

The demo came out 2 weeks prior to the release and showed exactly what this game was all about. It also made very clear the online requirements.

Without the no complainers derailing yet another thread read at your leisure.

Hey, "The No Complainers" I'll take that title, no problem. :)

Last edited:
Hey, "The No Complainers" I'll take that title, no problem

:lol:

Its just been the way its been the past while, its as if folk, I’m going to be specific, that are missing the old Gran Turismo are not allowed to feel that way, demeaning someone as a child because their game has changed is just the same as calling a positive critic as a “fanboy”.

The demeaning labels are not needed in these conversations.

A review is not a "view", it is a supposed to give perspective buyer information with which to make their purchase. If the reviews were written so that they reflected the issues perceived in the game and then given an appropriate score I would have no problem at all. Again as it is now it is punitive, not informative and childish at best.

It is objectively not a 1 star game and yes, I don't have the time to do it but excluding the 1 and the 5 star reviews would give you a clearer picture of what the satisfaction level truly is.

The demo came out 2 weeks prior to the release and showed exactly what this game was all about. It also made very clear the online requirements.

Hey, "The No Complainers" I'll take that title, no problem. :)
Hi,

This is quite sad and pathetic really, on my part, to take to a forum to moan about a computer game, in such a trivial manner. But hopefully this will help ease my tortured soul with this game.

The brakes - From the second I played this game, the braking feeling sensation felt all wrong, well not wrong if you went outside to your cars' disc brakes and sprayed a full can of WD-40 onto each disc rotor, then you might get a similar real life braking simulation to Gran Turismo Sport.

The rally driving - Honestly, if I met the person who rubber stamped the approval for the rallying parts, I'd need holding back from physical violence. One of the most frustrating experiences on a computer game I've ever had. Not only do the brakes once more feel like they've had the WD-40 treatment, but the tyres might as well be made from ice with extra lashings of grease frozen in, if this is meant to be a simulation of rally driving, then I say forget the 'simming' for a moment and think about the actual usability.

'Sport' mode - A few people have mentioned this now, it's just a frustration. I never have liked online with other people, no matter what game I've been playing, but as this is the bulk of this game, I decided to change my frame of mind to get into it. A couple of races in and I found myself mid pack and accidentally punting people up the backside for my brakes have WD-40 applied after all. Then I qualified well (2nd) at Brands Hatch, thinking, 'oooh, I could win this' how dumb was I to think that?! Other people clearly get the WD-40 brake treatment too, and one lap from the end, someone punted me up the backside and into the gravel at Paddock Hill, race over 2nd to 16th, half an hour wasted with the waiting times to race too.
So now I feel like I just can't be bothered to play what is essentially the bulk of the game for it being too damn frustrating.

I don't know why I'm ranting like this, as I have plenty of other games I find difficult, or frustrating, but with those I just don't bother playing with them again. I think it's where I've always spent a lot of gaming time on this franchise, have enjoyed some good gaming with it in the past, and have similar expectations for the future of my gaming. Now I feel let down, I feel like I've lost a friend on my gaming endeavors.

I do apologise if this has negged anyone out, this game has realllllllly cheesed me, as it's almost there, it's graphically great, load times are okay and to finally get Porsche on board is a positive, as is some of the AI racing I've experienced on the missions.

Hi there - I agree with you in regard to the braking, useless and difficult at best. I say this largely as I am having great difficulty if settling on a new working button configuration for the controller.

All the way through the GT game series I have used the R1 & R2 buttons for braking/acceleration and the L1 & L2 buttons for gear up/gear down. I was mortified to see that we are unable to reconfigure the R2 & L2 buttons with the stock configuration and have been unable to work out a suitable alternative configuration with all the options of buttons, sticks etc.

Despite hours of practicing and hundreds of laps, on even the most basic track, I am unable to do laps without reverting to style and either accelerating when I should be braking, looking backwards when I should be changing gear and , as for braking whilst changing down and steering around a corner whilst looking behind, forget it!

Maybe my advancing years have slowed my reflexes some, but I am unable to go back to playing GT6, and my old configuration, whilst I am trying to get to grips with a new button combination.

Please bring back full reconfiguration of ALL buttons.

Cheers

I bought the game with an open mind as to the content both contained and what may hopefully come later as far as DLC content. I probably have spent about 40 hours in the game thus far, I still have license test to do, mission challenges and circuit challenges to do as well.
I have spent time learning tracks and working on car set ups off line to prepare for on line sport races and of course racing on line.

One that I have found an unexpected enjoyment is the livery editor and have lost countless hours enjoying personalizing my favorite cars.

I figure that thus far with what I have paid for the game and just the time I have spent up to now it has cost me about $1.45 U.S. an hour for the entertainment I have already gotten. That cost will continue to decrease on a per hour basis the more hours I play the game.

From an entertainment cost per hour I feel I have already gotten a good value for the money I have spent, not many things in today's world that you can do for fun at a much cheaper cost per hour.

I think that given the potential that the on line racing is showing it could very well get its value down to where it only cost pennies per hour of entertainment when looking at the initial purchase price of the game.

Yes it is a different game from those that came in the series before it but that fact was well publicized and I for one think that this platform is a good start to the new direction the game has taken.

:lol:

Its just been the way its been the past while, its as if folk, I’m going to be specific, that are missing the old Gran Turismo are not allowed to feel that way, demeaning someone as a child because their game has changed is just the same as calling a positive critic as a “fanboy”.

The demeaning labels are not needed in these conversations.

Well, as I have said in this thread and elsewhere, I agree there are issues, I just look at the whole situation differently than some others I guess.

I also want to be perfectly clear, If you inferred that I was calling anyone in this thread or in general on this forum childish, I was not. Unless they were one of the people who left a 1 star review on Amazon and in that case, if the shoe fits. I don't think that having problems with GT Sport makes anyone childish just like I don't think that loving the game makes anyone a fanboy. I think it is how individuals from each group expresse their opinions that determines that.

In general I am relatively happy with the title.
However, I agree that the tire model is off, by a mile. It is really too easy to drive with virtually no punishment from lift-off oversteer or other instances of badly managed weight transfer.
I had hoped it would have been a bit closer to iRacing, which would have made it perfect. I find most iRacing cars too slidey. I obviously have no way to compare them all to RL, but from those I have been able to compare iRacing feels too eager to spin you, and recovery is a bit too hard.
Whereas recovery in GTS (with all aids off) is almost always way too easy.

Also, PD feels not quite sure regarding how they will position PD in terms of an e-sport. It still feels very much like an experiment.

Anyway, my son enjoys it more than iRacing while still learning things, which is a good thing. :)

but that whole Amazon thing reminds me of my kids. "if I can't have fun with a toy, i'll make sure no one does".

Its a legitimate way to express oneself, just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t make it childish.

I also want to be perfectly clear, If you inferred that I was calling anyone in this thread or in general on this forum childish, I was not.

And yet you could be...

Unless they were one of the people who left a 1 star review on Amazon and in that case, if the shoe fits.

So in summary because you don’t agree with a 1 star amazon review it is therefore childish.

(I like the game, but I can understand why others wouldn’t and however they express it I dont form a judgemental opinion of them just because I think differently.)

Latest Posts

Back