*Avoid if you don't like people moaning* Rant: My GTS frustrations and disappointments

I purchased GT Sport as I’ve not play the GT series in almost 20 years.
I mainly played Forza on the xbox 360 and xbox one but thought it would be good change to swap over to GT series for a fresh start and going back to where it all began.

My first impressions where positive but the more i played the more i felt disappointed. There is so much missing from the game such as detailed telemetry in reply mode. No tyre temperatures to adjust the camber on your car in time trial mode? or Compare your reply to a time set online to see where you losing time on track. I’m not sure if these will come in time with an up date but there basic in almost all decent simulation racing games on the market today. Why is this when it clams to be the ultimate driving simulation ?.

I still love the game but Forza and even Project Cars 2 are so far ahead in terms of an over all package .

thoughts ?

I thought the Lobby would be free and that I need to join the paid online thingi only to participate in the online (Proper ) Racing. We should have the Lobby like we had in GT6 for free.

I paid for this game $60 and almost all content is online and now I have to pay separately for online? Not Cool. IF this is primarily online gaming and they are going to charge for online subscription they should have given the game free or charged $10 (for Disk and shipping charge). Otherwise they need to give us the career mode.

This is like Netflix charging us $60 for their App and then charging us monthly subscription for Netflix.

Last edited:
I thought the Lobby would be free and that I need to join the paid online thingi only to participate in the online (Proper ) Racing. We should have the Lobby like we had in GT6 for free.

I paid for this game $60 and almost all content is online and now I have to pay separately for online? Not Cool. IF this is primarily online gaming and they are going to charge for online subscription they should have given the game free or charged $10 (for Disk and shipping charge). Otherwise they need to give us the career mode.

This is like Netflix charging us $60 for their App and then charging us monthly subscription for Netflix.
All PS4 online gaming needs PD+, the only exception being free to play titles, which GTS was never going to be given how much they can make from it.

I'm enjoying the game a lot after skipping GT6. I'm happily going through the driving school, mission challenges etc. and getting gold on everything.

My biggest problem with the game is it not having a dynamic map (like Driveclub). By that I mean, a map that rotates so that your arrow is always pointing up/forward/north so you can easily tell if a left or right turn is upcoming. That makes it much easier to know what turn is coming up. The map that comes up with the left and right dpad helps a little, but sometimes it's so small that you can't tell what type of corner is coming up until you already have to start braking.

You need to tell me what you think this poll shows before I can answer these questions. Be specific please. What conclusions are you trying to draw from this poll?
Right, the discussion was about the how many players were able to get some info or taste about the game, considering the access to information. The poll showed that almost 90 percent of participants downloaded and played the demo despite the 43 gb file size, and managened to get the taste of the game, prior go buying.

Agreed. I actually would not have purchased the PS4, or subsequent GT Sport had I known that I was going to have to pay a monthly fee to play new races. PD lost my business with this one.

Agreed. I actually would not have purchased the PS4, or subsequent GT Sport had I known that I was going to have to pay a monthly fee to play new races. PD lost my business with this one.
How about informing yourself properly prior to buying the game? "PS+ needed for Online Play" or similar is printed onto every gamecase of online games.

Deflecting the blame of oneself for not being able to properly deduce this circumstance is much easier I suppose.

How about informing yourself properly prior to buying the game? "PS+ needed for Online Play" or similar is printed onto every gamecase of online games.

Deflecting the blame of oneself for not being able to properly deduce this circumstance is much easier I suppose.

Hmm. Online playing was free on PS2 and PS3. If you are not actively reading about consoles, there's honestly no reason to know.
Yes, *it is* his fault, but I don't blame him.

Hell, I bought the new game after watching many gameplay videos and I didn't know that I needed internet to save. Not that I don't have internet, but the feature is freaking awful.

What was I supposed to do? Look up "do I need to be connected 100% of the time to save the game?"
I didn't even know the offline features were so disappointing...

I feel people that spent too much time on forums reading about games lose touch with reality.
Anyway, already sold the game.

Last edited:

I'm not a gamer, and GT has never had a cost to play online. Beyond that, the few things I read about the game didn't say anything about that, it was all about tracks/cars/sound/etc. It's not a big deal, I didn't even notice the digits change in my bank account. But certainly, I won't be buying a future GT, or console, or racing seat/system.

Right, the discussion was about the how many players were able to get some info or taste about the game, considering the access to information. The poll showed that almost 90 percent of participants downloaded and played the demo despite the 43 gb file size, and managened to get the taste of the game, prior go buying.
The poll shows that 90% of people who responded to the poll, who are all members of this forum, a forum dedicated in large part to this particular game, claim to have downloaded and played the demo. The survey is not random, tells you nothing about the % of members who actually downloaded the poll and nothing about their particular knowledge of the game before purchasing.

The survey is not random, tells you nothing about the % of members who actually downloaded the poll and nothing about their particular knowledge of the game before purchasing.

Did you actally see all the options of the poll? I think those options gave us a pretty good information about the interests and intentions of participants concerning this game.

Did you actally see all the options of the poll? I think those options gave us a pretty good information about the interests and intentions of participants concerning this game.
It does.

For a very, very, very narrow part of the game buying world.

Its akin to asking rabid Vegans if they think eating dairy is a bad idea and then presenting it as the views of the entire vegetarian population.

It does.

For a very, very, very narrow part of the game buying world.

Its akin to asking rabid Vegans if they think eating dairy is a bad idea and then presenting it as the views of the entire vegetarian population.

You mean the part of the gaming world that enjoys car racing games, and other genres aswell? That is not a very , very narrow part of the game buying world. Last time I checked people here play other games than GranTurismo series. I would say Gt planet's members represent a wide spectrum of gamers, from hardcores to casuals, and play games that are not even racing related, such as myself. For that reason I find your vegan analogy completely inacurate. Oh, and you might wanna check post #72, it has questions for you that you might have missed.

You mean the part of the gaming world that enjoys car racing games, and other genres aswell? That is not a very , very narrow part of the game buying world. Last time I checked people here play other games than GranTurismo series. I would say Gt planet's members represent a wide spectrum of gamers, from hardcores to casuals, and play games that are not even racing related, such as myself. For that reason I find your vegan analogy completely inacurate. Oh, and you might wanna check post #72, it has questions for you that you might have missed.
People who eat = The entire game buying public (including all of the below categories).

Vegetarians = Those who buy racing games, but don't focus on it as the main genre

Vegan = Those who buy racing games as a main genre, but still buy a lot of other games as well

Extreme Vegan= Buys racing games, predominantly GT ones and while some do dabble in other genres it's normally minor

Nope I'm quite comfortable with that analogy.

I would also say, given my time here and meeting quite a few of our members at the Copper Box that the majority of our members are at least Vegan.

The posting pattern here is a good clue as to that.

Posts in GT forums: 6.5 million

Posts about other racing titles: 0.6 million

Posts about all non-racing games: 0.7 million

For a genre that accounts for around 6% or so if games sales, that posting pattern is not one that indicates the membership here is an average casual gamer, quite the opposite.

Last edited:
GTplanet members do represent a wide spectrum of gamers as a whole but when it comes to opinion polls inside a forum dedicated to a single game, the game on which the website is founded, those are going to tend to be the more hardcore racing gamers and hardcore GT fans compared to a random gamer.

I said it earlier but it bears repeating. It's like conducting a poll of Fox or CNN viewers and expecting that they represent the general public. As a whole their viewers cover a wide range of perspectives but they have a huge part of their audience at one end of the political spectrum that would drown out more moderate voices.

The opinion police deleted my post, so here goes again,

Basically gt was never an out and out sim and still isn't, it just delivers your own personal Richard Hammond 'I am a driving God' moment.
It's well financed and well promoted but following on from the old Ferrari 355 game, assetto corsa and the like blow this out of the water on the sim front. This is just trying to be the first in a new esports market but the reality is the people taking this kind of thing seriously don't touch a console let alone gran turismo. In those circles you show yourself to be an undeserving noob if you even mention gran turismo, which is fair game if you're claiming to be the real driving simulator but don't even come close.
This is a good game and I like playing it but if you want sim then look to something else.
One of the biggest disappointments is finding out that the force feedback is a joke, it tells you nothing. The old centering spring wheel would do fine here, just listen for that classic gt tyre squeal for your precision adjustments. So when you tire of taking bad mojo for some cretins side swipe just change your disc to assetto corsa and enjoy the real driving simulator and when you need Richard Hammond and the driving God you know where to find him.

Posts in GT forums: 6.5 million

Posts about other racing titles: 0.6 million

Posts about all non-racing games: 0.7 million

And how many gt forum users also own and play other racing titles, such as yourself, and post in those non gt forums? Without those numbers, numbers you posted give only one side of the story. The difference you stated between vegetarian and vegan and so on..ridiculous:confused:.. Oh yeah,you still haven't answered questions in post #72. If you gonna post some of your own vegan classifications, or you your own youtube videos, don't even bother.

GTplanet members do represent a wide spectrum of gamers as a whole but when it comes to opinion polls inside a forum dedicated to a single game, the game on which the website is founded, those are going to tend to be the more hardcore racing gamers and hardcore GT fans compared to a random gamer
Are people who use livery editor, and photo mode, spend more time in scapes than racing, hardcore racing gamers? The poll showed high demo download rate of among interested members(racing hardocores or 'artistic', or casuals), which indicates that all of them had some taste about the game prior to buying. Same members that post on this topic about moaning. You don't get to say that this poll is not applied to them.

Are people who use livery editor, and photo mode, spend more time in scapes than racing, hardcore racing gamers? The poll showed high demo download rate of among interested members(racing hardocores or 'artistic', or casuals), which indicates that all of them had some taste about the game prior to buying. Same members that post on this topic about moaning. You don't get to say that this poll is not applied to them.
It didn't show anything of the sort. I don't think you know what you are talking about to be honest, you just seem to be spewing words. Let's be more specific. In order to establish a "high demo download rate among interested members" as you claim the poll showed, you must establish a few things for this to be true.

1. You have to know how many interested members there are on GTP. Please provide this number.
2. You need to establish how many of those interested members actually downloaded the demo. Please provide this number. Keep in mind, there is no way to establish among poll respondents who actually downloaded the demo, we are taking them at their word. It's important to keep in mind in a forum where it's been put forward that Amazon reviews among verified purchasers are "fishy".
3. You need to establish what constitutes a "high" download rate. You need a point of reference. What is your point of reference?

You can't establish your claim unless you answer those three questions. I eagerly await your answer.

Coming from iRacing, GTS is less stressful. I don't care my DR went up ow down, just enjoy racing whenever available. Unlike in iRacing, I need to practise like 100-200 laps before entering an official race which usually on weekend because of iRating and Champ points. Very tiring career mode I would say :D

And how many gt forum users also own and play other racing titles, such as yourself, and post in those non gt forums?
That would be accounted for in the post count.

Racing games (of all types) account for at most 6% of game sales, racing game posts account for 91% of all the posts made here about games.

Now even accounting for any form of statistical deviation and outliers that is such a massive difference as to be a clear indicator that GTP members do not represent the norm of the game buying public when it comes to game choice.

Without those numbers, numbers you posted give only one side of the story. The difference you stated between vegetarian and vegan and so on..ridiculous:confused:..
No they don't.

They along with the trophy data around the average level of completion for racing titles show a quite clear pattern.

On the other hand you are rebuting this data with, 'because I say so'.

Oh yeah,you still haven't answered questions in post #72. If you gonna post some of your own vegan classifications, or you your own youtube videos, don't even bother.
You don't get to tell other members what they can and can't post about.

They are outliers (unless you can provide hard evidence that says otherwise) in the game buying public,

If we take a look at the percentage of GTS ownerws who have easrned trophys for these areas we get:

Taken 100 or more photos (scapes or race): 0.7%
Shared a livery: 5.4%

These are again very low levels of activity, so while some may only or predominately use GTS as a tool for these activities, but they are clearly far from the norm, and once again outliers in that regard.

And how many gt forum users also own and play other racing titles, such as yourself, and post in those non gt forums? Without those numbers, numbers you posted give only one side of the story. The difference you stated between vegetarian and vegan and so on..ridiculous:confused:.. Oh yeah,you still haven't answered questions in post #72. If you gonna post some of your own vegan classifications, or you your own youtube videos, don't even bother.

What point are you trying to prove using that poll as your proof?

Latest Posts

Back