B-Spec Gets Interesting

  • Thread starter Thread starter zachsilvey
  • 29 comments
  • 6,261 views
Messages
35
Messages
zachsilvey
Finally.

In the extreme events you finally get tire wear and fuel use.
 
Oh great, now I won't be able to afk and let bob do his thing, the muppet will need babysitting for an inordinate period of time because you can't speed up the race.
 
Is it me, or are the races longer in B-Spec mode?

Usually its 5-6 laps?
Instead of 2-3
 
Yes B-Spec races are about twice as long as far as I know, except of course for endurance races.
@Mike 712 You can still afk and leave him. There is new options for pit settings that make it all automatic.
 
30 laps at Suzuka in Super GT in the wet was fun I was trying to just calm my driver for the last 5 laps ,he was getting furious with a backmarker and had a NSX up behind him ,it was a fun exciting race ,B-Spec is as good as A-Spec at times imo.
 
Yes B-Spec races are about twice as long as far as I know, except of course for endurance races.
@Mike 712 You can still afk and leave him. There is new options for pit settings that make it all automatic.

I'm in a extreme b-spec race right now and there is no auto pit setting.
 
Well, at the start of B-spec it seems to be roughly 2 times up to extreme. Then later on it seem to run up to 3 times as many laps. Which is kinda insane. Also, you get fuel usage, tire wear and ofcourse tyre restrictions very early on,compared to A spec which is pretty much free for all from the start.
 
I'm in a extreme b-spec race right now and there is no auto pit setting.

It depends on the race, if you are doing a race that you really don't need to pit and shouldn't, it won't be there. But when you do there's a button bottom right next to exit called "Pit Strategy".
I've finished Extreme and am doing Endurance. Trust me, it's there.
When you do pit in and you are afk, options will popup and the game will automatically decided to change to the best tires and give whatever fuel is needed, as well as a driver change if required.
 
It depends on the race, if you are doing a race that you really don't need to pit and shouldn't, it won't be there. But when you do there's a button bottom right next to exit called "Pit Strategy".
I've finished Extreme and am doing Endurance. Trust me, it's there.
When you do pit in and you are afk, options will popup and the game will automatically decided to change to the best tires and give whatever fuel is needed, as well as a driver change if required.

Good to know. How smart is B-Spec bob when it comes to pit stops?
 
It's not so interesting when your high level driver retires
 
Last edited:
It's not so interesting when you focus on leveling a new driver and your highest level one just quits. You have got to be kidding me.

You mean you can no longer use them as a driver?
 
Good to know. How smart is B-Spec bob when it comes to pit stops?
Pretty good, as I said, you can do it automatically for him to come in at say 20% physical strength (can be anywhere from 10-90%), or you can leave it off and he will come in on his own when the tyres start to get bad.
It's not so interesting when you focus on leveling a new driver and your highest level one just quits. You have got to be kidding me.

What level was your driver when he quit?
 
It's not so interesting when you focus on leveling a new driver and your highest level one just quits. You have got to be kidding me.

Please tell me you are kidding :scared:
 
Wait wait wait... B-Spec bob can just.. quit?? All of this leveling up is for nothing?? :banghead:
 
It's not so interesting when you focus on leveling a new driver and your highest level one just quits. You have got to be kidding me.

The drivers can quit? :yuck:
 
I don't think he's kidding, the career bar probably means that when it's filled the driver will retire.

The B-spec mode gets really interesting much earlier, anyway, especially when you start noticing the nuances of the AI, like the fact that when your driver is first he'll start to relax, and you'll have to encourage him to up his pace to avoid the AI undertaking him (of course at the risk of crashes if you go overboard). Observing B-spec carefully shows that besides the collision avoidance issue the AI in this game is quite a lot more advanced than people make it up to be.
 
Is the "experience" bar the "career" bar? when in the menus?
 
The only gray bar i have is labeled experience. US version must be different from others?
 
What is the the arrow next to his helmet on the driver selection screen supposed to represent? Usually it is just a green arrow pointing to the right but sometimes I get a blue arrow pointing up or a yellow arrow pointing down. Is that the drivers mood maybe like down means they aren't in a racing mood or their exhausted?
 
What is the the arrow next to his helmet on the driver selection screen supposed to represent? Usually it is just a green arrow pointing to the right but sometimes I get a blue arrow pointing up or a yellow arrow pointing down. Is that the drivers mood maybe like down means they aren't in a racing mood or their exhausted?


I'd like to know that as well, it didn't say in the manual.



re: Bob retiring - apparently his skills start to diminish at some point and you manually retire him.
 
I'd like to race my bob at the peak of his career... perhaps a spec race...
 
Observing B-spec carefully shows that besides the collision avoidance issue the AI in this game is quite a lot more advanced than people make it up to be.

I agree. I have previously ranted about the AI in GT5, but I was B-speccing last night, and I observed some very clever AI driving. I haven't noticed it in A-spec mode though... May there is different AI between the two modes? 👍
 
Do we actually lose the B-spec drivers? I'm farming the early endurance events currently to gain experience for the bigger events. I leveled up in B-spec using mostly only 1 driver, and hes been magnificent the most part. Would hate to see him go eventually..
 
Agreed. I noticed a huge leap in the quality of his driving from level 9 to level 10. Now he's much more aggressive (despite being a cool driver), able to drive at full red bar for much longer without making mistakes, goes for manouvres he would never have done before

For instance, during the Muscle car competition, he overtook someone at the top of the Corkscrew, on the outside. I think he must love Laguna Seca, because he pulled another magnificent move in the historic supercar competition. Coming up to the corner before the Rahal Straight, he was overtaking a Lamborghini Countach on the outside, where they both came across a Corvette, pushed the Lambo to the inside of the track and overtook them both going into the corner.
 
Also I have noticed the more bob's drive a certain car the better they are at it as they get used to the how cars handle.
 
From what I see, with Bob being lvl 35, you shouldn't worry too much about getting him at his career peak.

What does bother me though is B-spec replayability, at level 35 all you can do is keep your playstation on for about a week grinding le mans 24h to reach level 40. After that there is no reason to touch it ever again since you got all cars you can't rewin and the money is totally crap.

There is a trophy for getting your driver to the peak of his career, that will be very boring if he doesnt peak when he reaches lvl 40.

Tyre wear and fuel depletion doesnt add anything to b-spec gameplay since he pits in automaticly. There is an option to let him pit-in at a certain strength level, but when you ignore his strength it won't make you lose the race.

Tbh, the first levels of b-spec are the most fun, it only gets very boring after that.
 
Back