B-Spec Guide to Overpowering Competition

• Thread starter g4geisha
  • 141 comments
g4geisha
Guide to Overpowering B-Spec
Updated 12/18: Added guide for Historic Cup with Toyota 7. Working through Extreme races

A few premises: This is not a guide to fair racing because face it, B-Spec isn’t fair. This is a guide to overpower the competition in order to compensate for B-spec Bob’s incompetence. Races should be run in first person mode to time overtake. Poorly timed overtakes will invariably drop you back. In tight races almost always let Bob do his own thing off the line and wait till traffic thins to try and make any moves otherwise he will swing to far outside the line and drop places right away and the leader will usually be too hard to catch.

Beginner Series

Sunday Cup
Car Used: Choice, I prefer the SLS AMG Stealth
Management: None, point in the right direction and wait for victory

FF Challenge
Car Used: Civic Type R (EK) ’97 Modded to 290HP
Management: Low, lots of straights make this easy to overtake

World Compact
Car Used: Choice again I used the stealth but with no restrictions this is a cake walk
Management:None

Lightweight Cup
Car Used: Full HP modded Daihatsu OFC-1 Concept ’07 prize car
Management: Low, Bob manages to get the the front easily though I did run a lvl 10 Bob on the race.

Japanese Classic
Car Used: Dome-zero Concept ‘78
Alternates: Nissan 250Z
Management: Moderate You really want to keep Bob cool in this car or he will slide all over the place. Suzuka short is the biggest challenge but keeping cool in the S curves and overtaking on the straights worked well.

Vitz Race
Car Used: Full HP and weight reduction mod on Lupo
Management: Moderate, Bob will pass all but the last 1 or 2 cars immediately. Some mild coaxing required to pace behind and overtake . Don't let him coll off all the way.

Euro Classic Car Championship
Car Used: Lamborghini Countach LP400 ‘74
Management: None, you will smoke everybody with your eyes closed. Mardrid Mini great for quick XP runs

World Classic Car Series
Car Used: Buick Special ’62 worked great for Sarte, now that I have my Stingray ’69 will try that soon
Management: None for Sarte with Buick, long straights make it easy, Buick can’t compete with Eiger though more to come…
EDIT: Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) '69 is killing Eiger. suspension tune from LDP https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4255047
have to stay cool throughout the whole this or the back slides out on the final corners after the tunnel.
Same for Autumn Ring, staqy cool should be ahead by first lap. Auto pilot after that.

FR Challenge
Car Used: Choice, any Overpowered FR will do, I'm sure you have plenty. Used SLS AMG Stealth
Management: None

Amateur Series:

Clubman
Car Used: Choice, I think I used the SLS AMG Stealth but really anything overpowered should smoke this race.

Euro hot Hatch
Car Used: Choice, I think I used the SLS AMG Stealth but really anything overpowered should smoke this race.

NR-A Roadster
Car Used: Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) ‘91 Fully modded 221HP, though I imagine most higher HP cars could do it as long as their fully modded
Management: Moderate, It took a few laps to make it to the front and definitely a lot of maintaining needed for this long race. Shouldn’t pose too many problems as there is a lot of time to make it to the front.
Side note: this is a must win for the Mazda Furai Concept which beats Like the Wind in A-Spec

Sport Truck
Car Used: Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab ‘04 Fully HP modded , weight reduced and Height adjustable Suspension
Alternatives: Fully Modded Tacoma if you want to drop the $$ to buy it.
Management: Hard-Extreme. This is notoriously the worst race to beat so far. Laguna Seca not so much but Daytona is a bear! With 675HP Height Adjustable Suspension: Ride Height -10/-10 Springs 9.0/8.0 Dampers 3/3 Camber .4/.5 Top Speed 217. This is a redline race the entire way. Additionally the Toyota Tacoma is your fastest competition, if you see it starting up front just reset. Once I had a good lineup it still took me several tries to get around the initial traffic from the rolling start. Good Luck!
Driver level: 10-11

Japanese 90’s Challenge
Car Used: Mitsubishi 3000 GT MR (J) ’98 Fully modded
Management: low, get a lead and keep it nothing fancy here

Tour France Championnat
Car Used: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ‘09 Mods probably not necessary but who doesn’t want 1000+ HP
Management: None, Madrid is another good early XP Builder

Italia Festival
Car Used: Lambo Murcielago Chrome Line though I’m sure the Gallardo would do fine
Management: None, London is also great for XP building though you will get a fair amount of damage on your car (use a chrome line if you have one)

Classic Muscle Car Championship
Car Used: Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack ’71 modded to 620 HP (couldn’t get bob to handle the buick special well)
Alternate: Corvette Stingray '69 (below)
Management: low, get in front and stay there

Supercar Nostalgia
Car Used: Lamborghini Countach LP400 ’74 full mod
Management: Low- Moderate, Rome will be the biggest challenge since it’s the shortest race. Try to keep him cool in the final corners and overtake on the straights. A Miura up front makes for a harder race, hope for a Jensen Interceptor.

Professional Series:
Mini Challenge:
Car Used: Mini Cooper S '07 fully modded to 266HP
Managment: Low once you're in front just don't cool off all the way.

Classic Muscle Car Championship:
Car Used: Jeff Gordon #24 Nascar though any American Nascar should be fine
Alternates: Corvette Stingray, Corvette Zr06
Management: Low, just make sure Bob doesn’t get too cool and you will win handedly.

Supercar Festival:
Car Used: Minolta Toyota 88c-V race Car ‘89
Alternates: Mazda Furai Concept
Management: None. Press X and wait
Side note : Daytona Oval is great for leveling Bob as it only take 4:20 in the Minolta

LupoCup
Car Used: Lupo GTU Cup Car (J) '03, full tune to 208HP
Managment: Moderate, getting past the initial pack on Nurburg is tricky, stay cool off the line and wait to pass, took me 3-4 minutes to make it to the front.

80’s Sports Cup
Car Used: Minolta Toyota 88c-V race Car ‘89
Management: None. Press X and wait

Lamborghini Exclusive:
Car Used: Fully Modded Gallardo, no special suspension used but may make it easier if you do.
Management: Hard Definitely a challenge. Redlined almost the whole time. Finally passed the Miura on lap 5. And had to keep almost red to hold him off. This took a couple of attempts to get right. Time overtakes coming off of the straights.
Driver Level 12

British Lightweights:
Car Used: McClaren F1 '94 no mmods needed other than the best tires race allows
Alternates: McLaren MP4-12C with weight reduction (much cheaper), Jaguar XJ13, Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car ‘88, Catterham Fireblade
Managment: None, with a good car. I tried to overpower a TVR Griffith to horrible results. Besides everybody's gotta have a McClaren ( He says still saving for Formula Gran Turismo)

La Festa Cavallino
Car Used: Ferrari 458 Italia ‘09 full mod per GT_God https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4257755#post4257755
Alternates: Ferrari Enzo
Management: Moderate. Keep Bob redlined until past everyone then maintain. Be Careful because the Enzo’s will sneak up on you if you let him cool off too much.
Driver Level: 13

GT Championship:
Car Used: Minolta
Alternates: Corvette ZR1 RM
Managment: Low getting ahead is easy, staying ahead just involves not letting Bob get too comfortable (blue) otherwise the fast car will catch up eventually. Didn't test it too much, actually I fell asleep during nurgburg and still won but wouldn't trust him on all the tracks. God this took forever.

Expert Series:

Tuning Car Grand Prix:
Managment: None, easy just let him go and get something meaningful done.

Schwarzwald League A:
Car Used: SLS Amg Stealth
Alternatives: Haven't tried it but the MB 190E Touring Car '92, CLK Touring Car etc. should work easily as well
Managment: None

MR Sports:
Managment: None

Historic Racing Car Cup
Car Used: Toyota 7
Alternatives: Chaperral 2J
Managment: Low/ Hard and Lucky: First, Deep forest is easy, plenty of straights to pass on. Stay medium and no problem. Cote D' Azur on the otherhand is infamous on these boards from what I've seen. Persoanlly finished 2nd place twice, then I found a tune from blauster654 here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139467&page=3 , this worked to get me 2nd place again though in a more convincing fashion. I actually took first on the last lap but clipped the last wall and lost but .03 sec. Haven't decided to try again yet. Silver still got me the gift car for pro events. The issue is always the Chapperal 2J, the farther back he starts the better. The Ferrari will usually spin out at the first chicane so if you can get past him early your run will be cleaner. Regardless this is a race to follow all the way through. With luck you;ll be in 2nd by lap 3-4 and then race at 75% or so to catch up and pray for a clean overtake.
Swiftwilly and reece22345 have graciously added their advice here for our benefit:
first section up is from reece22345
1. Make sure you have the turbo and rigidity improvements added.
2. Purchase racing mediums.
3. Change your final gear ration to around 240km/h. This allows the car to accelerate better and overtake better whilst not sacrificing time over the straights as they don't hit 240 for long before braking anyway.
4. Change your rear toe angle to 0.00. Pretty sure the driver was getting stuffed around by the added oversteer (as they don't drive like us) and this was responsible for them hitting that corner before the main straight.
5. Not sure how much driver level factors into it but mine was 20 (and in good form/blue up arrow)

swiftwilly:
1. after the first turn, if the leading car is the 2J, reset. You need to be in a race where 2J is not leading after the first turn, and preferably theres 1 or more cars leading it like a Ferrari P4. This will slow the 2J down. Your enemy is the 2J.
2. Theres only two areas where you may need to pace down. A. if you see your car doing an overtake just outside the tunnel (you notice you b spec taking the in side line) quickly press the pace down. B. the final turn, some cars hit the barrier, I have my finger ready to pace down if I see him turning to sharply (about to hit the barrier). EVERY ELSE PACE UP PACE UP PACE UP.
3. rule of thumb, you should be first or close to first on lap 5 or 6.
4. never give up, if your very close to first on lap 6 or 7, you are able to put enough pressure on the leading driver to do a mistake (i.e. hit a barrier).
5. don't worry if you smack into a barrier and its easy to recover.
6. restart the race if you smack into a barrier or a pile of cars and its not recoverable (i.e. you have done a 180 degree turn), minor hits against the barrier are ok
7. I used a hot headed driver, this allows him to pace down and pace up faster

Good Luck!

Turbo Sports
Managment None: Grond some good XP off HSR for a while here. Only 10 minutes for 4500ish XP

Gallardo Trophy
Car Used: Required Gallardo Tuned per RKM Motorsports: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4246647&posted=1#post4246647
Managment: Moderate, complicated by the course, time your passes well or you'll get burned. Stayed red for most of the race. Great tune!

Japaneese Championship
Car Used: Minolta. Again, think you should beat "Like the Wind" A Spec yet?
Managment: None, you'll lap everyone on this really long boring series.

But Thankfully followed by

GT All Stars:
Car Used: Minolta with tune from psychot|K:
This is what I used for GT4 (thanks Fumes!), same principles should apply.
Down force = 63 / 88 [ed. not applicable to GT5, used 55/ 80
Ride height: X / X + 4 X = depends on track -15 / -11 [used this for entire series]
Spring rate: 14.8 / 15.8
Decompression = 7 / 7
Compression = 6 / 7
Stabilizers = 4 / 4
Camber = 2.5 / 1.0
Toe = 0 / 0
Brake balance = 6 / 5
Initial torque = 10
Acceleration = 40
Deceleration = 9
TCS = as low as you feel comfortable with "

I had Max Speed set at 249mph. make sure you get the Race Mediums, tried it with hard tires and couldn't make it to the front.

Managment: Fun! I just finished running this event as I write and I have to saythat, much like A-spec, it was the most enjoyable race to date. I used Bob at level 19 and made him race well. Competition matters, having the Jaguar or Judd Race Car in the first two spots = restart Got a race with nots of Nissans up front and Jag in back. Depending on the course you want to try to overtake the first few cars quickly. I remember trail mountain was not good for this, wait for a line to form and pass on straights there. Invariably i would more to third or fourth and find the competion well ahead. Don't dispair. Keep Bob Medium and pace up on easy corners (S's on trial mountain, tunnel in Grand Valley, etc.) The last few cars are passed one at a time, i usually paced up to close the distance on a straight or coming out of a corner, paced down/maintain to follow until i was ready to overtake. Afrer tha let him cool down to medium and monitor. You'll need to keep him from cooling off entirely (though it did work for Cape Ring) and overtake the slow cars you will eventaully lap. All golds, great XP, decent money (though not for the time involved).

Polyphony Digital Cup
Car Used: Choice, used Minolta mostly but really any fast car kills this race.
Managment: None, this was the grinding place for me to get to 20. 3 Races for championhip $ and good xp. Got a lot of other things done while running this.

Extreme:
Schwarzwalrd Leage B:
Car Used: SLS AMG
Alternatives: CLK Touring Car, BMW race Car ? Don't have them.
Mangment: Low, Make clean pases and stay medium. No problem here. Still, just another audi prize car.

Like The Wind:
Alternatives: Probably the Corvette ZR1 RM
Managment: Medium, Also fun like GT All stars, pass on the infield of Daytona and keep medium.

Nascar Series:
Car Used: Not sure if there's an advantage to one over the other. Definitely use the oil change exploit.
Managment: Medium + Tuning, So ran my stock Toyota with oil change around indy and took gold by a tenth, making iit to first on the final lap. Overall entertaining if not frustrating that he won't block. Look for opportunities when the pack goes 2-3 wide and use those the slipstream overtake. After that hit grandvalley and couldn't make a single pass. Tried the next track with the same effect and quit the series. Since there is no way to overpower this one I'll definetely be looking for a NASCAR road course tune in the near future.

EuroChampionship:
Car Used: ChoiceSLS AMG Stealth
Managment: Low, easy competition
Aside: This seems like a good place to train lower level Bob's since my lvl 20 can run the whole race without a pit but you can drag along a low level

German Touring Car Championship
Car Used: TBD the car I used to win B-Spec was not powerful enough, waiting for FGT then will get a CLK Touring or BMW Race Car

Super GT
Management: Low Suzuka Rain needed the most help to keep pacing up Make sure to have the correct tires set. Otherwise I set my highest level driver up front, racing Hards last longer than driver's strength (Lvl 19-20), no need to refuel, Set Pit Strategy to 10%

Looking forward to Level 23 for some american grinding and dream car.

Any suggestions for alternate cars will be added (apart from choice car races) and if people want to post content for more advanced races all due credit will be given. Thanks for reading and enjoy! More to come

Last edited:
Interesting. I used the Ford F150 and took Daytona easy with a low level driver. Laguna Seca was very difficult and took several tries.

On the World Classic car races I used the Buick on Lemans as well but on Eiger I had some troubles. Tryed a few different cars but best finish was 3rd place. Later I won the AC Cobra and let Bob try it again. I did nothing to the car except made sure it had the right tires and a fresh oil change and Bob smoked them with ease in this baby.

I used the Stealth McLaren in the British lightweights = Piece of cake

Interesting. I used the Ford F150 and took Daytona easy with a low level driver. Laguna Seca was very difficult and took several tries.

On the World Classic car races I used the Buick on Lemans as well but on Eiger I had some troubles. Tryed a few different cars but best finish was 3rd place. Later I won the AC Cobra and let Bob try it again. I did nothing to the car except made sure it had the right tires and a fresh oil change and Bob smoked them with ease in this baby.

I used the Stealth McLaren in the British lightweights = Piece of cake

Mclaren F1 for british lightweights. Only thing you need to be careful with is getting so far in front you end up getting t-boned at the crossover in TGTT. Contstantly issuing "slow down" orders worked for me.

Mclaren F1 for british lightweights. Only thing you need to be careful with is getting so far in front you end up getting t-boned at the crossover in TGTT. Contstantly issuing "slow down" orders worked for me.
Will a McLaren MP4-12C work?

Edit: I just checked and a McLaren MP4-12C will work for British Lightweights. I believe you have to do a weight reduction to get it under the weight limit for this challenge, but the car itself does qualify.

Last edited:
How do you get the Minolta at level 14?
You'll have to do A-Spec and beat Like The Wind to get the Minolta. It comes in very handy to win lots of B-Spec races since Bob is an idiot and having a car with similar horsepower/weight will result in a loss almost every time. I use the most powerful car I have for every B-Spec race just so I can start the race and do something else while Bob figures it out.

I'm stuck on NASCAR cup and Formula GT championship. If anyone can help me with the tune, it would be greatly appreciated.

Overpowering seems to be the only way to win for me most of the time in B-Spec. The truck race @ Daytona was a nightmare. I walked the field in A-Spec with a 319hp, stock weight Tacoma. I had to spend another 50k on the Tacoma so that my B-Spec bum could win by .4secs. All for ~17k in prize money for both races, and another Daihatsu Midget. yay.

So much for B-Spec being a cash cow like in GT4.

You'll have to do A-Spec and beat Like The Wind to get the Minolta. It comes in very handy to win lots of B-Spec races since Bob is an idiot and having a car with similar horsepower/weight will result in a loss almost every time. I use the most powerful car I have for every B-Spec race just so I can start the race and do something else while Bob figures it out.

Dang im sitting aspec20/bspec21 right now and am getting sick of the grind to 21 wish I could score it now it would help much and I also have nothing that can bspec "like the wind" anyone try it with the Veyron?

Does giving the B-Spec driver a way over-powered car hinder his exp growth?

I would like to think that giving Bob a car that is at least somewhat faster than the competition makes his experience grow quickly rather than just give him a Sauber C9 and have him destroy the AI.

So how do we events where the cars limited (Lupo event, NASCAR, DTM etc). Anyways, the reason Bob needs such a over powered car is because he can only gain ground on the straights. He always brakes to early, lets other cars cut in front in corners.....................ya, basically, he wants to play nice because he is still trying to get his learner's permit.

Last edited:
Lupo was easy. I used a fully upgraded one and bob blew away the competition. I can't beat the truck one though with my Lightning pushing 597 horse.

The stealth McLaren or the Jaguar XJ13 are god for the British Lightweights. The McLaren is funnier 'cause you can punt the other cars into going to wrong way. (They go through Bentley instead of Chicago)

So how do we events where the cars limited (Lupo event, NASCAR, DTM etc).

Try 10+ times, until Bob gets lucky which normally due to other AIs "fighting" each other.

I hate those times when I tried to beat Yaris and Truck events, now the Daytona is gonna hurt again...:ill:

Wow. B-spec in GT5 is the absolute worst I've ever seen :(

I had to overpower every car by at least 25% to even stand a chance. In the Vitz race (beginner, no less), My 180HP Vitz easily overpowered every other car; too bad the moron of a driver would choose to just stop dead on the track to let everyone pass. And not once, but 4 times in 3 laps. If you call that intelligent AI, then I've got some oceanfront property in Alberta to sell you.

I gave the guy a Dome Zero concept in the classic race, and he just floored the accelerator and did donuts. It wasn't until he was in a 280Z that he finally won.

And why is it that they don't hold a steady pace for the whole race? They will always slow right down in the last laps, to let everyone catch up; which then raises his blood pressure, leading to mistakes. With B-spec in GT4, you could actually give the guy orders to follow for the whole race, and then leave him be to do his thing. GT5, you have to babysit every single corner/lap.

Sooooooo frustrating. I'm thinking of just ignoring B-spec altogether.

The Minolta is also perfect for the Japanese Championship. And the Tsukuba Race in that series is great for B-spec experience grinding. 14 minutes, zero monitoring to minor monitoring. And you get 20k in credits and plenty of experience.

Formula Gt for any race you can use it in. Simple as pie.
Not everyone has 4.8 mil to spend, and some unlucky people like myself missed it because I wasn't level 24 yet. -____-
The Minolta destroys any competition it can enter, so I'm glad for that.

I'm not level 24, just traded my F10 for it and all i can say is WOW. GT allstars is getting destroyed with this car. Back to grinding on GT allstars :D

How can I get Bozo the B-Spec Clown to stop braking going into turns at Indy for Like The Wind!!?? I've tried the Zonda R, Furai, RM ZR1 and average finish is 8th. I don't have an LMP car yet. Daytona Road Course is not nice to me.

I can beat them all day at Indy in A-Spec. Probably because I don't slow down from 240 mph to 140!!!

I've tried a new "hot head" driver and Bozo II likes to scrub all of his speed too. Both drivers are in the mid 20's, Bozo II got there in one night.

How can I make them pass properly, not lift at the start/finish line (like he's afraid to go 215!), and not brake going into oval turns?

Guide to Overpowering B-Spec

A few premises: This is not a guide to fair racing because face it, B-Spec isn’t fair. This is a guide to overpower the competition in order to compensate for B-spec Bob’s incompetence. Races should be run in first person mode to time overtake. Any suggestions for alternate cars will be added (apart from choice car races) and if people want to post content for more advanced races all due credit will be given. Thanks for reading and enjoy! More to come

Awesome... I find myself doing most of the same!

Yes, the Mc F1 works in the Light British Race... needs Sport Softs so keep person at the cooler level!

Um, anyone got tips for Amateur -> Japanese 90s race.

I tried both my drivers in my 300hp NSX and they come last each time on Cape ring but destroy the opposition on Tsukuba.

It's so frustrating because the car doesn't need to be hammered to win, noticed that lots of AI cars spin and slide and are all over the place on cape ring.

Perhaps a 4WD car is better?

Back