B-Spec - I don't get it

  • Thread starter Thread starter msako
  • 108 comments
  • 8,688 views
Messages
203
I've read everything I could find with respect to B-Spec but I still don't get it. I don't know why anyone would run B-Spec and contaminate their scores, unless they're just trying to finish the game a quickly as possible and don't really care about picking up any skills, speed or technique. I'm currently running the 24 hours at Nurburgring (A-Spec, of course) and it's quite a grind but I've never even thought about putting it on autopilot to spoil the pure challenge of finishing. It seems like with B-Spec, all challenge is removed and it's just like playing Sim City or something like that. But, I'm the type who likes to get all of the golds, if possible, in the license test and I also like to be challenged by using a slower car, when appropriate. I'm a little over 4 hours into Nurburgring now and the skills and knowledge of the track that I've acquired in those 4 hours are certainly valuable and good to have and provide a feeling of accomplishment. Heck, 24 hours is nothing compared to what I spend trying to get all of the golds in the license tests.

Am I totally out of it? I understand how B-Spec works but I'm not sure why they didn't put it into a different category like Arcade mode or something like that. It's a shame that they combined A-Spce with B-Spec. In my opinion, it really degrades the challenge of the game, from acquiring cars, extra money and points and not putting in the hours on the tracks. The only saving grace is if you look at your status and it shows ZERO B-Spec points, I guess that is some solace.
 
if you dont like bspec dont use it, i think its a pretty neat feature that you can have an ai driver for yourself to train up. personally i get it to do the slow car races, i get no enjoyment out of them so i let it do em and then i can fly around tracks in the faster stuff which is a blast :D
 
stumpydino
if you dont like bspec dont use it, i think its a pretty neat feature that you can have an ai driver for yourself to train up. personally i get it to do the slow car races, i get no enjoyment out of them so i let it do em and then i can fly around tracks in the faster stuff which is a blast :D


amen to that
 
i do not have 24 hours to spend doing the endurance races, nor do I like to run slow races (aka K-Car Cup or whatever) I think B-Spec mode is great for this racing SIM. And I get the oppurtunity to go back and beat whatever race I chose to do in B-Spec if I want.
 
I agree with you. I will be doing the 24 hour race with 3 people. We will start this Saturday morning and switch off every 1-2 hours and complete the race in A-spec mode. I used B-spec mode a couple of times just to see what it was like and its really dumb. If i want to see myslef race i'll watch the replay.
 
I didn't like the idea of B-Spec either until I saw what type of Endurance races are in the game.... I definitely don't feel like racing for 24 hours in one race. Real drivers don't even do that, they change drivers every 4 hours.
 
smellysocks12
I didn't like the idea of B-Spec either until I saw what type of Endurance races are in the game.... I definitely don't feel like racing for 24 hours in one race. Real drivers don't even do that, they change drivers every 4 hours.

Or even more often than that. The longest I've ever sat at GT3 or GT4 was a little over 2 hours. Sometimes you just have to get up and walk around.

But B-Spec is interesting. I'm sure a lot of people will get good use of it.
 
I personally think B-Spec is one of the most incredible items if you have a really busy life, job, girlfriend...... There is no way I could sit thru (3) 24 hour races not to mention the other 9 hour and 8 hour races. Especially with all the PS2 and GT4 issues lately can you imagine doing over 20 hours of racing then your PS2 freezes up? Anything could happen and you just sat for 20 hours of your life. No thanks. :scared: :ouch:
For those that actually drive the races for 24 hours I really respect your patience and determination. 👍
 
people use b spec for all sortsa things:

(1) enduro races: i do too, i really cant be arsed with 100 laps of a track.... but the b spec driver needs "managing"... he wont necessarily win every time, tyres play a big part, but (as i found on certain tracks) he crashes (LOL) so u gotta keep an eye on what he's up to

(2) cash: b spec is useful for repeating races so u can win an expensive car, just so u can sell it. i've got to the extreme hall, and never had more than 1.5 mil in the kitty.... i prefer to earn enuff to mod the cars i need, i've never bought a 3.5 mil car LOL (the most i spent was on a black R92PC used car.... 1.3 mil from memory, but it aint as good as the R92CP i won on fuji 1000.... used b spec to get it hehe)

(3) those races that u just cant be arsed to do yerself: this is the contentious area, i've even dont it myself LOL.... like when i was a bit worse for wear (due to booze and tiredness).... but what the hell, its just a game LOL

sooooo dont knock b spec, it has a definite use.... only defined by those who wanna use it!!

Gord
 
I think B-Spec is good for people wanting to "get somewhere in the game". Like Phil said, you can pick up money and work through races pretty quickly and effectively with B-Spec.

Me personally, I'm in it to play with a bunch of cars on a bunch of tracks. I've probably spent more time in Arcade mode than in GT Mode. B-Spec has little value to me, but others might even use it more than they use A-Spec.
 
No one is forced to use b- spec . Its in the game for those who care to explore that aspect of the game. if you care to flog your monkey for 24 hrs around the ring ..go for it. maybe when your done you can have a cookie. :crazy: its crazy how someone would be getting all sanctified because they scourge themselves on the altar of GT4. its a game . You buy it for your own personal enjoyment . How you use it after you pay your 50.00 bucks is up to you. When I paid for the game B- spec came with it.
 
the only reason for bspec is OPERA PARIS 🤬 :mad: :irked: :dunce:
im 18% done with 1000km and 100% win ratio with 0bspec :D

i restarted my carrer and....yeah :dunce:

lol im using bspec for enduros 10hours and up (cough 24hours) :sly:
 
mustang_4_ever
the only reason for bspec is OPERA PARIS 🤬 :mad: :irked: :dunce:
im 18% done with 1000km and 100% win ratio with 0bspec :D

i restarted my carrer and....yeah :dunce:

And how many A-Spec points do you have? Maybe 200?
 
I like Opera Paris, actually it is one of my favorite city tracks, a lot more entertaining than New York or Seoul.
 
I have to agree, it's like playing a football manager game/sim city etc
doesn't bother me really as I can see why they have done it now (keeps everyone happy, i.e having 24hr races and not having to sit there for 24 hrs, but still being able to complete the game, people who want to sit there for 24hrs - CAN!)
personally i would have preffered the race lengths to be a bit more realistic, after all, as said, it's a game!
will keep me entertained for hours in a-spec anyway ;)
 
B-Spec might come in handy for those long, boring races. Like maybe the Super Speedway 150 Miles.

Also, there's no way I'm going to sit and race the Nurburgring 24 Hour in A-Spec, that's just ridiculous!
 
msako
I've read everything I could find with respect to B-Spec but I still don't get it. I don't know why anyone would run B-Spec and contaminate their scores, unless they're just trying to finish the game a quickly as possible and don't really care about picking up any skills, speed or technique....I'm a little over 4 hours into Nurburgring now and the skills and knowledge of the track that I've acquired in those 4 hours are certainly valuable and good to have and provide a feeling of accomplishment.

Horses for courses I guess, and the beauty of GT4 is it appeals to many. From my perspective ;

- I've already done abot a zillion laps around the 'Ring in Grand Prix Legends, and know the track extremely well. No more training needed.

- I don't really like the tuned car race with gazillions of hp. It gets too arcadey, since no-one would ever take the risks in real life that we take in the game. I still like to complete the game, therefore I can B-Spec all the stuff I don't like. I could actually just enjoy lapping "Driving Park" in a variety of Caterham, M Coupe, Lancer, 22B, Elise etc, etc.

- You know that no driver actually does 24 hours in real life? Therefore B-Spec is more realistic, to hand your car over to someone else.

I like the flexibility B-Spec brings, and really welcome it.
 
I think A-Speccing with vastly overpowered cars is even worse than B-Speccing. I can't for the life of me understand what fun people get by winning 1 A-Spec point races and lapping the field (as many folks are doing judging by completion % threads).
I am going through the game very slowly and building a challenge for myself every time. Right now I have around 20,000 A-Spec points over a 38% game completion.

As for B-Spec, it's only good for endurance races which are quite frankly too long for me. GT4 has many races, but they do end quickly and I see no reason for letting B-Spec steal some from me.
 
u could easily argue that NOS is wayyyy worse than b spec....

its strange that many knock b spec, but i dont see many having a go about NOS.... i mean, a mercury cougar xr-7 '67 with NOS??? dont seem right LOL

i try not to use NOS, cos i think its a cheat (or maybe just to appease to us boy racers who played nfs u2 LOL)

but i have used it, esp at the start of the game!!!

Gord
 
NOS is the work of the devil ;) ...'cept on old vw's :D










I'm sorry if that causes offence - non intended

And I agree with Justin Tyme - stupidly overpowered cars, wheres the competition?

But if thats what you want out of it.........
 
i restarted GT4, mainly cos i just did the S licence on my virgin save game (couldnt believe how easy the S was, had been crapping my boots about it!)

used an unmodded mercury cougar xr-7 '67 in the old muscle comp, but found the shelby cobra whipped my ass...... soooooooo......... stuck NOS on it

the shelby had me easy

but

the NOS wiped him out (the '69 stingray was crushed before that)

b spec.... love it

NOS... love it

hehe



Gord
 
my point being:

NOS is wayyyy worse a cheat than b spec, so start a thread.... i'd be interested to hear what people have to say about NOS

oh ok, i'll start it LOL
 
msako
I don't know why anyone would run B-Spec and contaminate their scores, unless they're just trying to finish the game a quickly as possible and don't really care about picking up any skills, speed or technique.

Heh, this gave me a good chuckle for a bit. 'Contaminating scores'! Oh no!! :p

C'mon, get over it. It - is - a - GAME! So you have a 100% win ratio and absolutely zero miles with B-spec, do you want Polyphony to give you a medal? PD doesn't care how you play the game, they give you the options! Play it how you want!

Me, I'm perfectly happy to work on training up my B-spec driver and using him in races that I can't really be bothered with.

Instead of pondering about the merits of B-spec, you should go after those who clear their records so they can win the prize cars over and over again. Now that's a way to ruin a game!
 
NOS is just a performance upgrade though... think he's talking about the 'game'
 
how does B-Spec "contaminate" your scores...? you can ALWAYS go back and get more a-spec and b-spec points no matter what

by the way.. its nitrousoxide, NOS is a brand name ;)
and in familiar words its called "Laughing Gas"
 
Ugh ... what's with all this talk of "cheating" or "contaminating" or "ruining the game?"
Why does it matter what anyone else does in the game?

All that should matter is that you enjoy the game and play it!

If you don't like nitrous, don't buy the mod!
If you don't like B-Spec, don't use it!

Like personally, I don't like racing the Nurburgring (is this blasphemy to say this on this forum???), so I B-Spec it, and it leaves me more time to race the tracks that I enjoy. 👍

-a
 
B-Spec = able to along in the game and not get DIVORCED.

Besides, GT4 is all about getting cars for Photo Travel... Right?


:P
 
how in the hell did THIS thread get started?.... hasn't this all been covered before
"B-Spec ruins the game.." blah blah whine whine.. DO NOT USE IT....ya think if your smart enough to load a PS2 you should be able to figure THAT out..... :crazy:
 
XCNuse
how does B-Spec "contaminate" your scores...? you can ALWAYS go back and get more a-spec and b-spec points no matter what

by the way.. its nitrousoxide, NOS is a brand name ;)
and in familiar words its called "Laughing Gas"

yeah N20, no need to be pedantic :p
everyone knows it as NOS anyway, even the guys at 'Wizards of NOS' ;) :lol:
 
Back