Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
this one was by far the most in your face and blatant hack. Anyone else see this?

I haven't seen that one, but I was in a game where some guy in a tank at the US base on Caspian Border was able to shoot me out of jets and choppers as they left the Russian base. I recorded him for quite a while before I let him know I was recording, then noticed the server had voteban so I initiated a vote. The only person besides myself who voted was him, he voted no (believe it or not), but the server admins banned him permanently anyway, so whatever I guess. Did you or your squad manage to record it happening? Just for a laugh, like.

Nope. I have not finished that Assignment. I also lack capturing one flag and returning one flag to finish the Assignments needed to unlock the next Assignment. Further, I am not particularly fond of Capture the Flag either.

EDIT: Funny how some things work. I just captured one flag and returned one flag in the first game of Capture the Flag I have played in quite a while. I need one more flag capture to finish the SCAR-L Assignment. So one flag capture and one Airdropped IFV destroy of an enemy IFV left.

The caps aren't toooo hard to do. The ifv on ifv is pretty hard because so many things have to be in your favor. The other assignments after that wouldn't be too hard, I think.

I haven't seen that one, but I was in a game where some guy in a tank at the US base on Caspian Border was able to shoot me out of jets and choppers as they left the Russian base. I recorded him for quite a while before I let him know I was recording, then noticed the server had voteban so I initiated a vote. The only person besides myself who voted was him, he voted no (believe it or not), but the server admins banned him permanently anyway, so whatever I guess. Did you or your squad manage to record it happening? Just for a laugh, like.

No but that's a great idea. Might have to get FRAPS out and get some footage. :lol: We will be on again tonight no doubt, and no doubt we will find some shenanigans.

The caps aren't toooo hard to do.

They are when you the only servers you have played on have been 64 player servers with 64 players.

The ifv on ifv is pretty hard because so many things have to be in your favor.

Not looking forward to trying and finishing this Assignment now that I have finished the other two.

The other assignments after that wouldn't be too hard, I think.

Twenty vehicle destroys and a road kill with a dirt bike will not be too bad at all once I can do that Assignment.

EDIT: And done with the Airdropped IFV Assignment. Now 20 vehicle destroys and road kill with a dirt bike.

Last edited:
The caps aren't toooo hard to do. The ifv on ifv is pretty hard because so many things have to be in your favor. The other assignments after that wouldn't be too hard, I think.

Start of the game race to the control point for the airdrop. Capture it then suicide. Wait until the IFV is up to respawn then get on the ground far from the action then look at the map for the enemy's IFV and go hunting.

s-tac is sweet.

Equip the antitank rounds as your secondary.

Im trying to decide if i should get a pc or not for bf4... I know my brother is in-fact getting a ps4, so i could use that, but the pc has much more to offer... The only problem is ive played console my entire life, and cant really use pc controls... I might be able to hook up a playstation remote to a pc somehow, but im still not sure what to do.

Im trying to decide if i should get a pc or not for bf4... I know my brother is in-fact getting a ps4, so i could use that, but the pc has much more to offer... The only problem is ive played console my entire life, and cant really use pc controls... I might be able to hook up a playstation remote to a pc somehow, but im still not sure what to do.

Yeah the next gen consoles will be ok but once you play PC you will never want to play on console again. More than anything it's the ability to use the mouse to aim, so so so much easier to aim and kill with a mouse I have no idea how i used to do it with a joystick.

As for using a controller you can use both xbox and ps3 controllers, I use a program called motionjoy gamepad tool. At first I used the controller like I did on console but I always lost infantry fights because of poor aiming so now I use the mouse to aim and the controller in the other hand (resting on my lap) for everything else. And when in vehicles I just use the controller.

Trying to use a controller against people with keyboards and mice will get you absolutely slaughtered no matter what you're doing (infantry, vehicles, whatever). If you get a PC you'll have to learn how to use the keyboard and mouse eventually and the only way to do that is practice! Fortunately you don't HAVE to practice on BF4 if you're worried about it, you could get a co-op shooter like Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor or Borderlands. Or just play BF4's campaign or co-op, even.

I made the transition from PS3 to PC recently.
I played quite a bit of BF3 on PS3. Reached colonel 80 when I stopped.
I then got a PC. At first I only played L4D, some warframe, serious sam HD and Far Cry Blood dragon as far as FPS games go, but during the Humble EA bundle I got BF3. Surprisingly I did pretty good from the start and am now rank 30. I'd say my stats aren't too bad for a PC noob and I'd say that getting used to the mouse really isn't as much of a problem as some people make it out to be. And it is so worth it too. 👍

It's worth mentioning that my previous PC was an absolute pile of rubbish and I didn't really play anything at all on it.

I'd say only the FX-8350 is worth considering, because it's cheaper than a 3570k and performs better with multi-threading. Like, a lot better.

Problem is, nearly no games use multi-threading yet.
Yeah that's why I think a 6300 could be the better bang for the buck choice for gaming.

I mean it still gives you about 150% multithreading performance compared to a FX-4100.

Start of the game race to the control point for the airdrop. Capture it then suicide. Wait until the IFV is up to respawn then get on the ground far from the action then look at the map for the enemy's IFV and go hunting.

s-tac is sweet.

Equip the antitank rounds as your secondary.

That is pretty much how I went about doing the Airdropped IFV. I suicided a few times trying to make sure I had a chance at getting the IFV. The opposing team even made it easy for me when I finished the Assignment yesterday. Once I started putting rounds on the enemy IFV, the guy bailed out and all I had to do was destroy the thing.

First, yes to playing on PC. Before Battlefield 3, I had done some PC gaming, but never really gave it much of a chance. I was sold that console was the way to go. After playing the beta for both console and PC, I went with Battlefield 3 on PC and I have not looked back. PC gaming has been such a better experience compared to console that I am very likely not buying a PS4 or XBOne. I would rather take the money that I would spend on a console and put that money towards building a new PC.

Second, playing with a Playstation controller on PC is a recipe for disaster on your end in everything but maybe flying. The thumbstick on a controller cannot compete with the precision offered by a mouse. Opposing infantry will react much faster, with more precision, and ruin your day much more often. Ground vehicles will do the same. However, I could see the thumbsticks making flying choppers or jets easier. Though, I may not be the best to offer up information on flying, as I am a terrible jet pilot and only an adequate chopper pilot.

Yes. However, not all MMOs have subscription fees. There are quite a few free to play options.

I mentioned a page or two back that Capture the Flag was not a game mode that I enjoyed playing. Well after playing in a 32 player server earlier today, my opinion on the game mode has changed slightly. I guess I should not have been playing on higher player count servers. The lower player count makes the game mode more enjoyable. Forty eight players might not be too many, but any more than that and the map is likley to be too clustered for any enjoyment.

EDIT: Looks like I will be able to finish almost all of the assignments. I will likely not finish the jet or chopper assignments. I do not like using jets. I am a terrible jet pilot and getting in a jet is a waste of a team potential asset. While I am an adequate helicopter pilot, I probably will not get in choppers often enough to finish the tanks portion of the assignment. Throw in seemingly the entire other team targeting with Stingers, helicopters, and jets and my adequate helicopter piloting becomes less adequate.

Last edited:
EDIT: Looks like I will be able to finish almost all of the assignments. I will likely not finish the jet or chopper assignments. I do not like using jets. I am a terrible jet pilot and getting in a jet is a waste of a team potential asset. While I am an adequate helicopter pilot, I probably will not get in choppers often enough to finish the tanks portion of the assignment. Throw in seemingly the entire other team targeting with Stingers, helicopters, and jets and my adequate helicopter piloting becomes less adequate.
You can always team up with someone as a pilot and you as the gunner.

Edit: I've no idea how, but one of my first End Game assignment completions was the IFV airdrop kill. However the test of the challenges for that dog tag aren't done yet. :P

Last edited:
While I am an adequate helicopter pilot, I probably will not get in choppers often enough to finish the tanks portion of the assignment.

One good way to get tank kills, assuming you have TV missiles, is to wait for your pilot to make a pass on a tank, sit with the TV screen on (the gun is pointless against tanks anyway) and fire when the tank is lined up rather than firing from a distance and trying to guide it. You're usually firing at a disabled or at least damaged tank and if the chopper is low enough the missile travel time from chopper to tank is way too short for them to dodge, but obviously it's not always a sure thing. I've had a few kills that way since I started playing again.

Trying to use a controller against people with keyboards and mice will get you absolutely slaughtered no matter what you're doing (infantry, vehicles, whatever). If you get a PC you'll have to learn how to use the keyboard and mouse eventually and the only way to do that is practice! Fortunately you don't HAVE to practice on BF4 if you're worried about it, you could get a co-op shooter like Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor or Borderlands. Or just play BF4's campaign or co-op, even.

Ps3 controller actually works extremely well with vehicles, I do really well in tanks and heli's with it. Even jets are easy to fly. The only thing that will suffer is infantry fights. Which is why I use both the mouse and controller.

About Capture the Flag - I really don't like playing it that much, but I'm really good at it. Yesterday me and a friend of mine joined a CTF room that required 15 flags within 20 minutes. (we joined towards the end of the previous game btw). He mostly just flew around in the scout helicopter while I went for flags. I got 12 or 13 of the flags while my teammates got the other 2 or 3, and the other team got 0. At the end there was about 45 seconds left.

About TV missiles - It's a pretty useless thing. Very difficult to use and you can get inches within a tank and do 0 damage to it, but when you do get that kill every so often, it just feels awesome, which is why I use it. My first impressions on it were very high because the first time I used it, I took out an enemy helicopter from the US base that was above E. Me and the friend I was talking about for CTF can cause some serious chaos with an attack helicopter. I'm a good gunner while he's a good pilot (when he isn't hitting light poles :ouch:

About the PS4 v. PC - (keep in mind I don't know anything about this stuff) Isn't the PS4 supposed to be pretty even with a PC? The PS4 version of BF4 will have 32 v. 32 matches just like the PC. I'm sure there's more to it than that but like I said I don't know much about this stuff.

Ps3 controller actually works extremely well with vehicles, I do really well in tanks and heli's with it. Even jets are easy to fly. The only thing that will suffer is infantry fights. Which is why I use both the mouse and controller.

I tried using a 360 pad with vehicles but my accuracy is far better with a mouse. I found I couldn't make the same subtle changes with a pad so sniping people with the coaxial HMG or jet cannon (shudder) is quicker and easier with the mouse, for me anyway. If I were to go back and do it again I never would've used the pad and would've just gotten straight into learning to use the mouse instead.

I tried using a 360 pad with vehicles but my accuracy is far better with a mouse. I found I couldn't make the same subtle changes with a pad so sniping people with the coaxial HMG or jet cannon (shudder) is quicker and easier with the mouse, for me anyway. If I were to go back and do it again I never would've used the pad and would've just gotten straight into learning to use the mouse instead.

Yeah i'm pretty hopeless in jets, but the controller seems to work really well for the heli's. And yes it is harder to use the HMG on the tank but if I need to I can quickly grab the mouse. If I could start over id probably try to learn to use the keyboard but it's too late now and I don't feel i'm being held back by my hybrid setup. And the way my desk is set up I would have to have the keyboard on my lap which feels very strange.

As for my CPU I will be getting a FX-6300 so hopefully that fixes my FPS problems!

Speaking of mouse vs controller.

Has anyone tried the Eagle Eye keyboard and mouse converter for the PS3 and Xbox? Would anyone recommend buying one or is it not worth getting?

I was thinking about getting one.
Here's the link to the site for a better look, I just don't know if anyone has tried one. http://www.penguinunited.com/?mobile=0

An experienced mouse and keyboard user will out gun any DS3 user on PS3. When I used to be big into FN matches, all the top ten platoons/clans besides like 1 or 2 use a mouse and keyboard. They said that and you will get outgunned. And according to FN rules it is allowed. And you will be surprised how many actually use mouse and keyboard. Go with what you have more fun with.

Never used the TV Missile and I've never had problems using the guided missile and cannon combination with the attack choppers.

I love TV Missile...

on PC. They are quite effective. However, on PS3 it's almost a waste of time. The input lag is so horrendous that you'd be better off with almost anything else. Still, the satisfaction that is gained from TV Missiling someone makes it worth trying on any platform, for me anyway.

Back