Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
I play recon 75% of the time and I can tell you that it's not a good gameplan to depend on quickscopes to get kills. You very rarely get the kill, I have more success noscoping, even at longer ranges (25-50m).

BC2 needs more decent snipers. Can get a tiny bit tedious pwning the same guys over and over. I like having some competition to keep me on my toes!

I play recon 75% of the time and I can tell you that it's not a good gameplan to depend on quickscopes to get kills. You very rarely get the kill, I have more success noscoping, even at longer ranges (25-50m).

BC2 needs more decent snipers. Can get a tiny bit tedious pwning the same guys over and over. I like having some competition to keep me on my toes!

The problem with snipers is they are rarely applying themselves to help the team take objectives. You can tell me all you want, they can help spot, pick people off, and call mortar strikes on tanks/defensive positions, but in reality, you can spot just as much on the ground, you can't always kill the guy bunny hopping/running around the base, or even kill a tank with mortars. Snipers are generally noobs in bushes trying to protect their K/D, trying to platinum various sniper rifles, or someone who doesn't know what's going on. 90% of snipers in BC2 are worthless to the team

And as far as quickscoping for kills, if you are a good player, it's just as easy if not better than using a shotgun

The problem with snipers is they are rarely applying themselves to help the team take objectives. You can tell me all you want, they can help spot, pick people off, and call mortar strikes on tanks/defensive positions, but in reality, you can spot just as much on the ground, you can't always kill the guy bunny hopping/running around the base, or even kill a tank with mortars. Snipers are generally noobs in bushes trying to protect their K/D, trying to platinum various sniper rifles, or someone who doesn't know what's going on. 90% of snipers in BC2 are worthless to the team

And as far as quickscoping for kills, if you are a good player, it's just as easy if not better than using a shotgun

I agree that the majority of players who choose recon are near-useless. Thankfully i'm usually only one of two snipers in a game, so can get on with what needs to be done (I finish top of the leaderboard in 80% of games, so I can't be too terrible at using the kit!).

Sounding pompous, but if every player who played recon was as effective as me, you wouldn't hate the recon class as much as you do now! :sly:

I won't push the quickscoping discussion any further, but I can assure you that i'm a good player!

Thing is if you take out recon or nerf their abilities too much you lose a huge competitive player base. Can't have both.

I actually don't mind snipers at all. I like bc2 for the more realistic "war" environments and I'd imagine in a war snipers wouldnt be laying in a street with iron sights.

thank you, I'm not the only one.

I snipe on some maps and others I do assault. I was sniping on a map and someone called me a camper.... I told him "wtf do you think a sniper is?" they stay back and support the team.

Thing is if you take out recon or nerf their abilities too much you lose a huge competitive player base. Can't have both.

I think in BF3 their (hopeful) role in pinning down enemy squads will be a useful way to allow your team to move in, hold them in place with suppression and flank to get some easy kills.

I play a BF2 mod called Project Reality and my favourite gameplay dynamic is that a single sniper can pin entire squads down, sometimes for as long as they stay alive. Rendering 3-6 players useless is a huge help to their team.

Would love to see this in BF3, it's very satisfying to finally outwit the sniper and it's cool to see how different squad leaders work to get their squad out of that situation.

Imakuni
I think in BF3 their (hopeful) role in pinning down enemy squads will be a useful way to allow your team to move in, hold them in place with suppression and flank to get some easy kills.

I play a BF2 mod called Project Reality and my favourite gameplay dynamic is that a single sniper can pin entire squads down, sometimes for as long as they stay alive. Rendering 3-6 players useless is a huge help to their team.

Would love to see this in BF3, it's very satisfying to finally outwit the sniper and it's cool to see how different squad leaders work to get their squad out of that situation.

I've played PR too. I just don't think that's possible on consoles unfortunately. One of the limitations with this game I'm afraid.

I've played PR too. I just don't think that's possible on consoles unfortunately. One of the limitations with this game I'm afraid.

I don't mean PR on console, it simply wouldn't work/sell. It's too hardcore for most. Just the element of snipers being able to pin squads more effectively would be good!

I hope they sort out the weapons range in BC3. I play recon a lot and its ridiculous the amount of times a medic or an engineer snipes me out when they are 100m out but have a 12x scope bolted to their machine gun and use magnum ammo.

Imakuni
I don't mean PR on console, it simply wouldn't work/sell. It's too hardcore for most. Just the element of snipers being able to pin squads more effectively would be good!

Oh yeah I know I just mean the mechanics PR has I just believe would be hard to implement on console.

Have you heard about suppressive fire in BF3? When they talked about it they were talking about the support class so I'm not sure if it is just for them or all classes. Basically if you shoot close enough to a guy behind cover his aim is thrown off and you get teamwork points. The guy in cover will see a bunch of bullet blurs to know as well.

Oh yeah I know I just mean the mechanics PR has I just believe would be hard to implement on console.

Have you heard about suppressive fire in BF3? When they talked about it they were talking about the support class so I'm not sure if it is just for them or all classes. Basically if you shoot close enough to a guy behind cover his aim is thrown off and you get teamwork points. The guy in cover will see a bunch of bullet blurs to know as well.

Something that they probably learn from Brothers in Arms series,BiA approach to strategic gameplay was more friendly and it stablish some basis for flanking and suppressing fire strategies,something that I suspect DICE will implement to BF3,project reality is just too complicated to be integrated into consoles(PR has some similarities to ArmA in that area).

Looks like the PC specs are up:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1181336p1.html

Minimum:

Hard Drive Space -- 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Operating System -- Windows Vista or Windows 7
Processor -- Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM -- 2GB
Video Card -- DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card

Recommended:

Hard Drive Space -- 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Operating System -- Windows 7 64-bit
Processor -- Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM -- 4GB
Video Card -- DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon HD 6850

8.5GB with Vietnam. Bear in mind that the maps in BF3 are huge, BC2's maps are pretty small by Battlefield standards. Massive maps = larger install

For a moment I was concerned with the recommended specs, namely the example ATi video card, but then I remembered 5770cf ~= 5870 > 6850 :dopey:

The share amount of assets that the game will use will be huge,I'm also considering in buying an ATI graphics card,but 15GB doesn't seem like a lot,that was about the space that PR occupied in my HD(I think a bit more).

I hope they sort out the weapons range in BC3. I play recon a lot and its ridiculous the amount of times a medic or an engineer snipes me out when they are 100m out but have a 12x scope bolted to their machine gun and use magnum ammo.

👍

Always makes me wonder why I even bother sniping with a proper weapon.

My only issue is my graphics card for recommended but I'm likely fine for minimum. I'm hoping to get it for both ps3 and pc but it will be ps3 first.

I'm hoping to get it for both ps3 and pc but it will be ps3 first.
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg

At least you said you're hoping to get it on PC too, so I won't have to stab you in the eyes just yet.

I wont be getting the console version(I leave that for MW3),at the end,64 players battle is a unique and complete different experience,which is the whole point of the mayor BF titles.

Sharky.
At least you said you're hoping to get it on PC too, so I won't have to stab you in the eyes just yet.

Haha well I have more people to play it with on my ps3 and I'm a student so money is quite limited so ps3 first and pc maybe after Christmas.

?? I never saw that option? I could only ever put 4x scopes on my assault rifles, and yes I'm one of those guys that snipe with the assault lol, it's pretty easy.

but I don't stay in one spot like I do when I'm really sniping, with the assault rifle I run around most of the time.

You guys seen the BC2 video on youtube of a guy picking off guys with smoke grenades?

That takes some real skill.

?? I never saw that option? I could only ever put 4x scopes on my assault rifles, and yes I'm one of those guys that snipe with the assault lol, it's pretty easy.

but I don't stay in one spot like I do when I'm really sniping, with the assault rifle I run around most of the time.

Sorry, 4x :D

Yesterday was playing recon attacking Port Valdez, hideyholing on the big hill overlooking the first MComm objectives and some engineer with a L-Scar sniped me from the base of the multistory building that has the MG42 near the top. I almost threw my controller out the 🤬 window.

Sorry, 4x :D

Yesterday was playing recon attacking Port Valdez, hideyholing on the big hill overlooking the first MComm objectives and some engineer with a L-Scar sniped me from the base of the multistory building that has the MG42 near the top. I almost threw my controller out the 🤬 window.

MG42 at the top, WHUT? XM307!

I agree, a subby at that range would bounce off modern body armour as if the bullet was thrown. LMGs are deadly at very long ranges, it is part of what they are intended for , so I have no problem with LMG 'sniping'.

Pistol sniping is probably my biggest annoyance. Getting taken out by a 9mm pistol at 500m plus just doesn't make sense!

happycorey
Lol I haven't seen the video but I have over 1000 kills with my smoke launcher

wow nice. I've only just started using my smoke launcher but for cover. Never realized how useful it really can be.

Back