Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Stormtrooper217, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Patrick

Patrick Premium

I have the same issue... I have about 5 friends who always say Battlefield is so gay when they haven't even played the game and won't even watch the trailers.

2. hampus_dh

hampus_dh (Banned)

COD is deathmatch, or a knife fight in a phonebooth.

BF3 is straight up WAR.

3. Blitz187

Blitz187 Premium

They need to open their eyes and give it a try... I have couple of friends here who are like that too... On the other hand I have enough people to play BF with as well :)

4. icelt

icelt

Some good stuff in this demo write up.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1171707p1.html

5. OLDSKOOLACURA

OLDSKOOLACURA

well said.

somehow I always end up buying COD, I play the campaign then start playing online and I always say the same thing...."why the %$#$%^ did I buy this %$#$%^"

BC2 is still the best, and it makes it 100x better when you get a team that works together (much more easy to do in BC2 then any COD game). There are times I like COD, but it wears off fast and I put BC2 in.

6. Akira AC

Akira AC

No more quick scooping,yes now I actually can be a real sniper and use just surrounding and camouflage instead of jumping and bot aiming,another goal for dice,seriously in BF2 quick-scoping and bunny-humping are just unbearable

7. happycorey

happycorey

Quick scoping in BFBC2 is really fun, but it's just like using shotgun slugs with a scope..

8. terminator363

terminator363

Why are the Russians the enemies again I'm not Russian but I'm getting so tired of it, I hope BF3 won't be a US VS Russia cod flame war. I really want Europe to be in there as well. It would suck if we only got Russia vs USA, vs Mercenaries. I would like Europe vs. China vs USA vs Mercenaries just like BF2 or the Russians are actually good.

9. G8R_MaD3

G8R_MaD3

Weren't there preview videos of fights against the Taliban?

10. happycorey

happycorey

I think because Russia is still a large Communist nation

11. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

See Full ImageSo who would've thought Hideo Kojima would comment on the two biggest shooters of the year?

Well, his statements are bound to spark some definite discussion. Kojima posted on his Twitter page a pair of comments that address Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, and he believes the two titles are significantly different:

"If 'COD MW3' is a Hollywood-ish action play, 'BF3' is more like documentary. While play-related rail games are the mainstream after the success of 'COD' and 'Uncharted,' this stoic attitude is fresh."

While it's true that recent CoD entries feel very much like big-budget Hollywood movies, we're not entirely sure of what to expect from Battlefield 3. Kojima's words imply a definite difference between two games in the same genre and indeed, gamers are expecting different experiences. But how do you feel about Kojima's response to these shooters; might his description be accurate?

12. MarinaDiamandis

MarinaDiamandis Premium

Yeah, pretty sure (especially with the enemies in Medal of Honour being Taliban/Chechen) that we'll see a rebel-based enemy instead of the usual communists vs world approach.

13. sejtur

sejtur

How big were they in BFBC2?

According to this link http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/299874.page that is 32 times as big as atacama desert. It can't be THAT big right? I mean that map is really big..

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  14. hampus_dh

hampus_dh (Banned)

that is probably accurate. should note though that not all tracks will be that big.

still nothing compared to Arma III :)

15. happycorey

happycorey

12sq miles seems legit is jet's are involved.

16. Patrick

Patrick Premium

That does make sense because I was wondering where you would fly the jets. Are jets on consoles and PC or just PC?

17. icelt

icelt

Don't think we know for certain as yet, but I'd hope the online modes are equal for all platforms.

I'm kinda thinking the "land map" will be of a smaller area than the "air map." There's just no physical way you can have 32 total players covering that large of a space. So the land battle will likely be of similar sizes to BC2 with the airspace available to the aircraft to maneuver and muck about in of much greater dimensions.

18. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

Ever played a proper Battlefield game before? The majority of maps don't abruptly end at the edge of where the buildings and stuff are on land, the map continues on for a bit further (in some situations a whole lot further) in one or more directions, which allows enough airspace for jets to whizz around in.

Like such:
    Gulf of Oman, BF2
    [​IMG]

Wake Island, 1942
    [​IMG]

Kursk, 1942
    [​IMG]

Operation Market Garden, 1942
    [​IMG]

Tobruk, 1942
    [​IMG]

Sharqi Peninsula, BF2
    [​IMG]

Obviously not all of the maps feature aircraft, but you can clearly see how the map boundary is some distance away from buildings, roads etc (ie the features that you would consider to be "the map"). BF3's maps will be similar.

19. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

I played BF2 until the disc wore out, including all the addons. Definitely getting this one. I am even tempted to get a PC to run it instead of running it on PS3. Do you guys intend to get it for PS3 or PC?

And on the CoD vs BF thing: To me CoD is a shooter, and BF is all out war. IMO you can't beat the feeling of when a large squad of enemy infantry and armored vehicles are bearing down on your infantry squad, only to have two of your team mates pop up overhead in an attack chopper and some more in a tank from the flank. Team play is so rewarding in BF. :tup:

20. hampus_dh

hampus_dh (Banned)

PC for me without a doubt. I hate FPS games on console. It´s nerfing the experience ten fold imo.

21. Cale

Cale Premium

Yup, and since jets are only in conquest mode, it seems very reasonable.

22. icelt

icelt

Yes I've played plenty of 1943.

Anyway sounds to me we're effectively saying the same thing. How about this, for fast mover enabled maps the "objective area" where all the land fighting will need to occur for point scoring will be much smaller than the overall "play space."

23. xiSealHDz

xiSealHDz

i have played bf series since the bf1942 came out! all great games and cant wait this new one to come out!!!

24. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

I just got done playing BF2 demo and scored 69 kills. LOL I hope BF3 is as fun as BF2.

25. Akira AC

Akira AC

Novavets?

Actually,all good server only can be found the original disk version,I updated to 1.41 but no one else plays on that version anymore,although the populated servers are populated by Latinos(lack of English communication to plan an effective strategy).

And,out of boredom I decided to take some screenshots of today's play,take note that I'm running this on laptop and therefore there are not super graphics(it loads the high LOD but no AA and advanced shaders),today was pretty lame play,I played only in 2 maps,and I end up in the looser team.

What I want to point out is that the scale of the game(even on the city maps)is quite huge,in fact bigger than bad company.

So:

>MI-28 on hunt

[​IMG]

>Mashtuur City from sniper point.

[​IMG]

>Helicopter view of Mashtuur south

[​IMG]

>Mashtuur City center overflight

[​IMG]

>Mashtuur City Main bridge

[​IMG]

>Mashtuur City Hotel plaza

[​IMG]

>UH 60-Black hawk

[​IMG]

>MI-17 Enemy Transport Chopper

[​IMG]

>MI-17 pwned

[​IMG]

>Airborne friends

[​IMG]

>Owned

[​IMG]

>Defending building

[​IMG]

>Helicopter Sniping

[​IMG]

>Ready to go

[​IMG]

>Enemy overflight

[​IMG]

>End round

[​IMG]

>M1A2

[​IMG]

>Entering into town

[​IMG]

>Sniping from hill

[​IMG]

>Taking position

[​IMG]

>HMMWV crew

[​IMG]

>Defending position

[​IMG]

>Hiding from enemy tank

[​IMG]

These are only screens from city maps,so no jets or anything like it,if you want see screens from other maps with Aircraft and stuff let me know.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  26. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

Fraps only let me record 30 seconds at a time. I had a few videos I was going to put together but I had no time or patience to work with MS movie maker.

Here's the most action packed one I had at 30 seconds long, It's my sniping skills at BF2 demo.

[YOUTUBEHD]A42MUFMwUJk[/YOUTUBEHD]

27. sejtur

sejtur

Cool map, I live in Arnhem! :) on the map, under the bridge.
    The bridges are now called John Frost bridge and Nelson Mandela bridge.

28. MarinaDiamandis

MarinaDiamandis Premium

I find it pretty sad that they renamed them. I think it's disrespectful to all those men who fell to take/defend them.

Fired up BF2 earlier to try some stuff out and was met with a pop-up saying 'Pre-order your copy of BF3 NOW!' - Do try to keep up EA, I pre-ordered months ago! :sly:

29. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

They just had COD MW3 on Jimmy Falon last night. Looked like crap. Looked exactly the same as MW2, but with slightly worse graphics.

30. Patrick

Patrick Premium

I'm not a fan of CoD, but they said that what was shown was still in alpha form.