Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
I have the same issue... I have about 5 friends who always say Battlefield is so gay when they haven't even played the game and won't even watch the trailers.

I have the same issue... I have about 5 friends who always say Battlefield is so gay when they haven't even played the game and won't even watch the trailers.

They need to open their eyes and give it a try... I have couple of friends here who are like that too... On the other hand I have enough people to play BF with as well :)

Some good stuff in this demo write up.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1171707p1.html
Welcome to the Interrogation Room, GameSpy's signature pre-release game coverage format. Here, a GameSpy editor (typically one who's relatively in-the-dark about the game in question) grills his peers for information on a hotly anticipated game -- hopefully with more entertaining results than the typical boilerplate preview would provide.

Will Tuttle, Editor in Chief: Well, the day we've been waiting for all these years is finally here, as we got to spend some quality time playing Battlefield 3 multiplayer. The word on the street is that developer DICE has changed up the classes for the latest entry in the long-running shooter series. Mike, can you detail what players can expect when the beta launches in September?

Mike Sharkey, News Editor: Yup, we were among the first to get our hands on Battlefield 3's multiplayer, playing Rush mode in the upcoming shooter's Paris map. Evidently, the Russians and Parisians aren't getting along in the next Battlefield, and the U.S. Marines are tasked to step in. And yes, the word on the street is bond: DICE decided to combine the Assault class -- AKA the game's frontline cannon fodder -- with the Medic class. It's the biggest of the studio's class tweaks, but DICE also gave the Support class' LMG a deployable bipod for more stability and better accuracy, and the Recon class (love 'em or hate 'em) got nerfed a bit, with more gun sway and a heavier barrel swing on sniper rifles (goodbye, quickscoping!). And Snipers can now hold their breath to zero in on enemy heads.

Will Tuttle: As someone who likes playing the Recon class, I both love and hate those changes. Of course, I wasn't one of those jerks who just hung back and sniped constantly -- I always equipped my pistol and made my way up to where the real action was. I noticed that as I played Battlefield 3, I earned some experience point for laying down fire on my enemies. What's the deal with that, anyway?

Mike Sharkey: That's a very cool new feature DICE has incorporated into Battlefield 3: suppression. Unload on an enemy's position, and they will become suppressed, limiting their peripheral vision with a blurring effect. An icon will also appear above the suppressed enemy, allowing your team to see which enemies are pinned down -- the perfect indicator of foes that are ripe for flanking. And with the Support class' bipod-enabled LMG, which can be mounted on cover, they become a suppressing machine, racking up XP in an all-new way. Just be aware that while you're laying down cover, you have an indicator above your head, making you a target for the enemy. Overall, suppression serves as a clear indicator that DICE intends to even further differentiate itself from (cue the Imperial March) Call of Duty as a team-oriented first-person shooter.

Will Tuttle: What did you think of the multiplayer mode and map we played? I know I was really impressed by the way it changed as we made our way from one area to the next.

Mike Sharkey: The map itself opened in a sunny park in Paris, filled with paths, footbridges, trees, and shrubberies (Ni!). We were playing on pimped-out PCs with the game at maxed-out settings, and the level of detail was stunning. Our first of three core objectives was to take out a Russian comm center. Once the enemy's communication system was down, we took the battle underground into the metro, going from a bright, wide-open environment into a dark system of tunnels lit only by our flashlights and gunfire. The transition was striking and the perfect example of Frostbite 2's abilities to seamlessly render varied environments on the fly. It was classic Battlefield Rush, cranked up to 11.

The overused Spinal Tap reference is fitting, because the game also sounded amazing. Lay down suppressive fire with your LMG, and your ears will ring with the sound of pitch-perfect machine-gun fire that makes you (or at least, made me) want to scream like Rambo. The only things missing were the vehicles. DICE isn't ready to unleash its full arsenal just yet -- but when the time comes, look out. Battlefield 3 is shaping up to be one helluva military FPS!

COD is deathmatch, or a knife fight in a phonebooth.

BF3 is straight up WAR.

well said.

somehow I always end up buying COD, I play the campaign then start playing online and I always say the same thing...."why the %$#$%^ did I buy this %$#$%^"

BC2 is still the best, and it makes it 100x better when you get a team that works together (much more easy to do in BC2 then any COD game). There are times I like COD, but it wears off fast and I put BC2 in.

No more quick scooping,yes now I actually can be a real sniper and use just surrounding and camouflage instead of jumping and bot aiming,another goal for dice,seriously in BF2 quick-scoping and bunny-humping are just unbearable

Why are the Russians the enemies again I'm not Russian but I'm getting so tired of it, I hope BF3 won't be a US VS Russia cod flame war. I really want Europe to be in there as well. It would suck if we only got Russia vs USA, vs Mercenaries. I would like Europe vs. China vs USA vs Mercenaries just like BF2 or the Russians are actually good.

terminator363
Why are the Russians the enemies again I'm not Russian but I'm getting so tired of it, I hope BF3 won't be a US VS Russia cod flame war. I really want Europe to be in there as well. It would suck if we only got Russia vs USA, vs Mercenaries. I would like Europe vs. China vs USA vs Mercenaries just like BF2 or the Russians are actually good.

Weren't there preview videos of fights against the Taliban?

See Full ImageSo who would've thought Hideo Kojima would comment on the two biggest shooters of the year?

Well, his statements are bound to spark some definite discussion. Kojima posted on his Twitter page a pair of comments that address Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, and he believes the two titles are significantly different:

"If 'COD MW3' is a Hollywood-ish action play, 'BF3' is more like documentary. While play-related rail games are the mainstream after the success of 'COD' and 'Uncharted,' this stoic attitude is fresh."

While it's true that recent CoD entries feel very much like big-budget Hollywood movies, we're not entirely sure of what to expect from Battlefield 3. Kojima's words imply a definite difference between two games in the same genre and indeed, gamers are expecting different experiences. But how do you feel about Kojima's response to these shooters; might his description be accurate?

That does make sense because I was wondering where you would fly the jets. Are jets on consoles and PC or just PC?

Don't think we know for certain as yet, but I'd hope the online modes are equal for all platforms.

I'm kinda thinking the "land map" will be of a smaller area than the "air map." There's just no physical way you can have 32 total players covering that large of a space. So the land battle will likely be of similar sizes to BC2 with the airspace available to the aircraft to maneuver and muck about in of much greater dimensions.

I'm kinda thinking the "land map" will be of a smaller area than the "air map."
Ever played a proper Battlefield game before? The majority of maps don't abruptly end at the edge of where the buildings and stuff are on land, the map continues on for a bit further (in some situations a whole lot further) in one or more directions, which allows enough airspace for jets to whizz around in.

Like such:
Gulf of Oman, BF2
Oman64.jpg

Wake Island, 1942
Wake.jpg

Kursk, 1942
Kursk.jpg

Operation Market Garden, 1942
MarketGarden.jpg

Tobruk, 1942
Tobruk.jpg

Sharqi Peninsula, BF2
Sharqi64.jpg

Obviously not all of the maps feature aircraft, but you can clearly see how the map boundary is some distance away from buildings, roads etc (ie the features that you would consider to be "the map"). BF3's maps will be similar.

I played BF2 until the disc wore out, including all the addons. Definitely getting this one. I am even tempted to get a PC to run it instead of running it on PS3. Do you guys intend to get it for PS3 or PC?

And on the CoD vs BF thing: To me CoD is a shooter, and BF is all out war. IMO you can't beat the feeling of when a large squad of enemy infantry and armored vehicles are bearing down on your infantry squad, only to have two of your team mates pop up overhead in an attack chopper and some more in a tank from the flank. Team play is so rewarding in BF. 👍

Ever played a proper Battlefield game before? The majority of maps don't abruptly end at the edge of where the buildings and stuff are on land, the map continues on for a bit further (in some situations a whole lot further) in one or more directions, which allows enough airspace for jets to whizz around in.

Obviously not all of the maps feature aircraft, but you can clearly see how the map boundary is some distance away from buildings, roads etc (ie the features that you would consider to be "the map"). BF3's maps will be similar.

Yes I've played plenty of 1943.

Anyway sounds to me we're effectively saying the same thing. How about this, for fast mover enabled maps the "objective area" where all the land fighting will need to occur for point scoring will be much smaller than the overall "play space."

i have played bf series since the bf1942 came out! all great games and cant wait this new one to come out!!!

I just got done playing BF2 demo and scored 69 kills. LOL I hope BF3 is as fun as BF2.

Novavets?

Actually,all good server only can be found the original disk version,I updated to 1.41 but no one else plays on that version anymore,although the populated servers are populated by Latinos(lack of English communication to plan an effective strategy).

And,out of boredom I decided to take some screenshots of today's play,take note that I'm running this on laptop and therefore there are not super graphics(it loads the high LOD but no AA and advanced shaders),today was pretty lame play,I played only in 2 maps,and I end up in the looser team.

What I want to point out is that the scale of the game(even on the city maps)is quite huge,in fact bigger than bad company.

So:

>MI-28 on hunt

screen007.png

>Mashtuur City from sniper point.

screen018.png

>Helicopter view of Mashtuur south

screen025.png

>Mashtuur City center overflight

screen026.png

>Mashtuur City Main bridge

screen027.png

>Mashtuur City Hotel plaza

screen028.png

>UH 60-Black hawk

screen030.png

>MI-17 Enemy Transport Chopper

screen033.png

>MI-17 pwned

screen037.png

>Airborne friends

screen043.png

>Owned

screen044.png

>Defending building

screen046.png

>Helicopter Sniping

screen047.png

>Ready to go

screen048.png

>Enemy overflight

screen051.png

>End round

screen053.png

>M1A2

screen058.png

>Entering into town

screen059.png

>Sniping from hill

screen067.png

>Taking position

screen075.png

>HMMWV crew

screen081.png

>Defending position

screen082.png

>Hiding from enemy tank

screen084.png

These are only screens from city maps,so no jets or anything like it,if you want see screens from other maps with Aircraft and stuff let me know.

Last edited:
Fraps only let me record 30 seconds at a time. I had a few videos I was going to put together but I had no time or patience to work with MS movie maker.

Here's the most action packed one I had at 30 seconds long, It's my sniping skills at BF2 demo.

[YOUTUBEHD]A42MUFMwUJk[/YOUTUBEHD]

Operation Market Garden, 1942
MarketGarden.jpg

Cool map, I live in Arnhem! :) on the map, under the bridge.
The bridges are now called John Frost bridge and Nelson Mandela bridge.

Cool map, I live in Arnhem! :) on the map, under the bridge.
The bridges are now called John Frost bridge and Nelson Mandela bridge.

I find it pretty sad that they renamed them. I think it's disrespectful to all those men who fell to take/defend them.

Fired up BF2 earlier to try some stuff out and was met with a pop-up saying 'Pre-order your copy of BF3 NOW!' - Do try to keep up EA, I pre-ordered months ago! :sly:

They just had COD MW3 on Jimmy Falon last night. Looked like crap. Looked exactly the same as MW2, but with slightly worse graphics.

Solid Lifters
They just had COD MW3 on Jimmy Falon last night. Looked like crap. Looked exactly the same as MW2, but with slightly worse graphics.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GgXmb3R-z0">YouTube Link</a>

I'm not a fan of CoD, but they said that what was shown was still in alpha form.

Back