Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Quick Correction guys, sorry but huuuge pet peeve, it is NASCAR cars, NASCARS is not a thing. Lol

Gee, I wonder what was the post that brought you here just for the quick correction... :sly: :lol:

Joke aside, being a nascarfan (hurr), and having used NASCARS NASCAR cars extensively for online racing (and good one at that), what do you think of NASCARS NASCAR cars?

Well now that the New Year's Eve hangovers are gone from our heads, it's time to catch up on some of last years cars which I didn't do a write up on.

Before I get started, @Baron Blitz Red if MC can't host due to tiredness from the 24hr race he's doing right now, would you be ok with hosting the Saturday racing again? ;)

Let's start with our recent rage inducing pick..

Stock cars? Anything But Stock.

NASCAR, One of the biggest spectator sports in motorsports, thousands of people pack the stands and the infield at every race meeting, it's also the same Motorsport that has THE most amount of stereotypes regarding Americans. :rolleyes:

Now I know some stereotypes usually have varying levels of credibility to their origins, but one stereotype IS definitely a lie,

NASCARS CAN turn right. :D:lol:

In seriousness, aside from a few engine sound differences, the Camry,Fusion,Impala,SS Stock cars all have roughly the same setups so I can safely say this, the stock setup is a mess.

The suspension is setup too biased to understeer, the gearing is too short to run on the ovals (unless you're in a restrictor plate race) and there's not enough downforce to keep it planted through the turns.

Couple with the fact that the car is heavy(:sly:) and it needs careful throttle control, the NASCARS are quite unruly to drive.

It was said on race night that maybe why they are tough to drive is because they were setup to be tough to drive. That is a fair statement, but when you mash together two different setups like the stock setup is, it's not good looking for the NASCARS.

For ovals you want to trim off as much downforce as you dare whilst adjusting the gearing and suspension for higher top speeds, for road courses you want shorter gearing and high downforce to maximise acceleration,braking and cornering.

Now it sounds like it's all bad news (it is), but it wasn't all miserable. :P

When everyone got to grips with the performance, it brought out some very good racing at quite a few tracks, including a hard fought battle at Silverstone. 👍

When it got traction, it pulled hard down the straights whilst screaming to 9K rpm which is amazing for such a big engine which has a carburettor, an iron block and Pushrod Valve Actuation.

Now I'm going to say this, the NASCAR is a Neutral verdict all day, but the spliced together stock setup is definitely Beater worthy. 👎

But seeing as we judge cars by its out of the factory performance, I have to reluctantly give the NASCARS a Beater verdict.

Shame really. :(

From high revving American racers to soft top sports cars from Blighty.

Soft Top Shenanigans

The MG TF150, MG's last open top Sportscar before MG went under and then brought back by the Chinese.

Compared to its older model, it's 15hp up, but also 80kgs up as well.

Despite having a midship layout, it retains a perfect 50/50 weight distribution which makes it quite stable to drive.

You'll encounter understeer at the limit and oversteer will only happen if you have a lead foot in very low speed turns.

The only real complaints is that 5th gear is slightly too long for the power and the power itself.

But it's a good car all round, not expensive, not bad to drive and good fun overall.

I'll give it a neutral verdict, but consider this, if you plan on fully tuning an MG, take the older one as it'll be lighter and more powerful in the end. :D

Verdict: Neutral :)

Hopefully I'll take care of the rest over the next few days. 👍

@Baron Blitz Red if MC can't host due to tiredness from the 24hr race he's doing right now, would you be ok with hosting the Saturday racing again? ;)

You know it @Vic Reign93 , of course I will if @McClarenDesign can't... even though my body cringes at the thought of driving those pitiful excuses of rolling land barges again.

My review of them... nascar is like the Toronto Maple Leafs of racing. Sure they can honestly say they're pros, but they should still hang their heads in SHAME. Pretty sad when you have to pay someone to remind the driver the next turn is left... :rolleyes: :lol:

Enough said about the BEATER of all Beaters.

Cheers

An old video of me driving a Nascar (car) :) around Bathurst.
Recorded on phone while kids asleep so no sound :(

When you use them for anything other than actual Nascars they can be quite fun

Sorry, but I won't be able to attend the races tonight; I must go with my father to pick up my mother from work, so that then we can fetch a new cover and screen protecting tempered glass for her cellphone. Hence why I am texting this from my own cellphone as we speak.

Sorry in advance, and hope that the racing can be at least fun with these slippery NASCARs...

For the last year, GTPlanet members have been tasked with reviewing the best and worst that Gran Turismo 6 has to offer. Some found gems, some found turds. Today we celebrate those gems and turds with:

GTPlanet's Beater or Sleeper Car of the Year Awards!

Other awards shows have red carpets, lights, photographers, the paparazzi and celebrities. We had that as well, until our sponsors went bankrupt, the celebrities became embroiled with scandals, and only a whopping six people participated in the nomination process. But as with every Hollywood disaster, the show must go on! (I thought torture was now illegal...)

The first award is the Bridgette Wilson Award for Best Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 2005 Ford GT, 2007 BMW M3 and the 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package

...and the winner is:

2005%20Ford%20GT%2040%20255.jpg

The 2005 Ford GT!

Our next award is the Tammy Faye Bakker Award for Worst Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 1983 Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800 GSR IC Turbo, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS and the 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

15344013_BG2.jpg

The 2000 Camaro SS!

When not in Gran Turismo, cars will often times fill their spare time by appearing on television and in films. The Susan Lucci Award honors the Best Supporting Actor in Gran Turismo.

The nominees are: The 1998 Nissan Sileighty for Initial D, the 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am for Smokey and the Bandit, and the 1981 Audi Quattro for Ashes to Ashes

...and the winner is:

The 1998 Nissan Silieghty for Initial D!

Is this where you want to be when the baby Jesus comes back? The Joe Dirt "I'm-your-sister" Award is awarded to the car that best represents Detroit's inbred past, present, and future.

The nominees are: 2002 Dodge SRT Viper GTS, 1970 Chevrolet Nova SS and the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5)

...and the winner is:
256db4d65e9d054c3e181df394caaba5.jpg

The 1970 Chevrolet Nova SS!

The term "luxury" is often used to describe opulence and refinement. Brands like Bugatti, Mercedes and Ferrari are well known for their decadence. The Kim Kardashian "Bitch-how-is-you-not-a-Hobbit?" Award is given to the car that promises a 5 star Michelin rating while serving you a Big Mac and cold fries.

The nominees are: 2002 Dodge SRT Viper GTS, 2007 BMW M3 Coupe and 1999 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

...and the winner is:
1999astonmartinvantage-l-bf781bfb5dd924e7.jpg

The 1999 Aston Martin V8 Vantage!

Once in a while, a fresh talent surprises critics with talent that simply cannot be ignored. The Susan Boyle Award is given to car that we find surpasses expectations, and makes Simon Cowell look like a twit. Mostly the latter.

The nominees are: 2006 Peugeot 106 Rallye, 1991 TVR V8S and 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

189p46jehuvbhjpg.jpg

1981 Isuzu Piazza XE!

Michael Schumacher. Juan Manuel Fangio. Sebastian Vettel. Lewis Hamilton. These drivers have amassed multiple championships by being consistent throughout the course of a season, and better than the rest of the field a majority of the time. The Vanilla Ice Ice Baby Award is given to the GTPlanet member that best embodies the exact opposite of that, displaying a glimmer of hope only one lap at a time, per season.

The nominees are: MidFieldMaven, Vic Reign93 and Baron Blitz Red

...and the winner is:

In 2014, the world saw the global economy improve so much that the bottom 99% no longer mean anything. Corporate profits are at an all-time high, while wages are still stagnant if not falling. The Wall Street Journal Too-Big-To-Jail Award is given to the car that no one but the top 1% can afford, and because Santa also hates poor people.

The nominees are: 1999 Toyota GT-One (TS020), 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro and 2000 Pagani Zonda C12S

...and the winner is:

audi-pikes-peak-quattro-photo-208366-s-429x262.jpg

The 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro!

In 2008 the first GT Academy was held, and the day before the finals began, young Ted Thomas lost his life due to tragic and bizarre series of events. We honor Ted's memory each year by awarding the Grand Prize winner of GT Academy with a Red Helmet. This year we're also presenting a Ted Thomas Memorial Trophy to The Most Improved Driver over the course of the year.

...and the winner is:

Before we finish the evening, we want to take this moment to flush. We've handled our fair share of fecal matter this year, and now it's time to crown the King Turd of dung pile. If the automotive industry has an anus, The Worst Car of the Year would surely be from it, likely in liquid form. Oh, and be sure to wash your hands. Twice.

The nominees are: 2009 Toyota Prius G, 2002 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG and 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6

...and the winner is:

The 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6!

Determination. Courage. Motivation. Concentration. The prestigious Driver of the Year Award requires none of these traits. Instead it's awarded purely on the recommendation of the other drivers, the ones who put their lives at absolutely no risk every week. These are the men and women that accept no for an answer. Mostly women.

The Driver of the Year nominees are: Niku Driver HC, Lewis_Hamilton_ and PartTimeRacer

...and the winner is:

This year we're celebrating the Best New Member to join our ranks, as chosen by the other members of GTPlanet. It may be for their review style, their performance on the track, or maybe it's just the wit, charm and charisma that they've brought to our little slice of the community. All we know is that winner of the New Kids On The Block Award certainly have the right stuff.

The nominees are: RacingOtaku86, OGGamer and CaddyKOP

...and the winner is:

272157.jpg

OGGamer!

As the years go by, the competition on the track seems to get better and better. Sometimes, however, the competition between two drivers becomes so great that a rivalry ensues. Often times a race or two is all that is takes to settle any differences. Because of passion, over-competitiveness, or perhaps just a blind lust for vengeance, sometimes these drivers just can't let things go. The Ron Howard's Rush Award honors these combatants by celebrating the best rivalry between drivers throughout the year.

The nominees are: Vic Reign93 vs McClarenDesign, McClarenDesign vs Baron Blitz Red, Lewis_Hamilton_ vs Vic Reign93

...and the winner is:

124880.jpg
&
188309.jpg

McClarenDesign vs Baron Blitz Red!

Bruce Banner is a scientist with a monster hidden inside. Every now and then we find our own Bruce Banners, cars that casual outsiders scoff at only to find the demon unleashed soon after. We give the Disney-Owns-Everything Sleeping Beauty Award to such monsters to honor their accomplishments both on the track and in our hearts. Can you still be called a princess if your planet blows up?

The nominees are: 2000 Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon STi (Type-I), 1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1) and the 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

hqdefault.jpg

The 2000 Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon STi (Type-I)!

L.L. Cool J one rapped about his mother instructing him to knock you out. And like a good son, he lyrically did. However the Ray Rice Award for Beater of the Year is given to cars that have received similar instructions and failed to do so. Instead, they're just another means of getting to and from work on a daily basis, while getting all the punishment of a right hook to an ex-girlfriend.

The nominees are: 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6, 2009 Toyota Prius G and the NASCAR racecars

...and the winner is:

2009 Toyota Prius G!

Monkey bars, swing sets, slides and rings, science has proven that children perform their best when they have easy access to a place to play. Although we age, we also perform our best when we have easy access to a place to play. The Bernie Ecclestone's-Not-Dead-Yet Award for Track of the Year honors those playgrounds.

The nominees are: Mid-Field Raceway, Grand Valley Raceway and Tokyo R246

...and the winner is:

Tokyo R246!

The day-to-day work that goes into this community-within-a-community isn't easy. Creating races, reading various posts and reviews, organizing players and promoting events, it all becomes overwhelming very fast. Every now and then inspiration comes along. Sometimes it is a post, a video, or even just hearing the sound of an exotic exhaust after work. The Whitney Houston-Before-Coke, Greatest Love of All Award for Community Service is given to those that help provide another reason why all of this work is absolutely worth it.

...and the winner is:

15%2B-%2B1

Sebastian Campbell!!!

Finally, it's time to present this year's Car of the Year Award. This award is given to the car that exceeded expectations in all areas, including comfort and interior styling. This is the car that other cars want to be. Unlike the awards given by Motor Trend, this award hasn't been pre-purchased by the manufacturer, but instead chosen by the members of GTPlanet (after accepting enough money to air condition hell from the manufacturer).

The nominees are:
2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package, 1966 Renault R8 Gordini and The Nissan Z cars

...and the winner is:

The Nissan Z cars!!!

Join us next week as we begin this process all over again for 2016. One lucky post will be chosen to disappoint the rest of us with their selection. You have been warned. Wardrobe provided by Hugo Boss. Please drink and drive responsibly. Promotional consideration paid for by: nobody.

Last edited:
Edit: How'd I call the Prius in the awards?

Because the Prius is one of the worst cars in Gran Turismo history, and one of the worst vehicles we have ever driven in COTW? That award suits the car like a rotten glove, and may the Prius rot forever in whatever corner it was put in...

I did not call the Scoobie wagon winning the award for best sleeper, I did not take it into account as I thought the STI badge gave its credentials away far too easily. As it turns out, a great badge was not enough to take the covers off the Imperial Chariot.

Another thing I did not expecting was being chosen as the Driver Of The Year. Me, a man worth enough of such honor? It does not compute all that well, but apparently people did not mind it that much by namedropping me for contention. The fact that I was rewarded with this award was unexpected to say the least, so I did not prepare a good speech for it beforehand.

So, making this short and sweet, thank you all at COTW for being one of the most entertaining and driver-friendly groups on GTPlanet. I do not regret joining it, nor I am considering leaving it anytime soon... Thank you gentlemen, and good night. "bows to crowd with award in hand and leaves the stage" :)👍 :gtplanet:

For the last year, GTPlanet members have been tasked with reviewing the best and worst that Gran Turismo 6 has to offer. Some found gems, some found turds. Today we celebrate those gems and turds with:

GTPlanet's Beater or Sleeper Car of the Year Awards!

Other awards shows have red carpets, lights, photographers, the paparazzi and celebrities. We had that as well, until our sponsors went bankrupt, the celebrities became embroiled with scandals, and only a whopping six people participated in the nomination process. But as with every Hollywood disaster, the show must go on! (I thought torture was now illegal...)

The first award is the Bridgette Wilson Award for Best Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 2005 Ford GT, 2007 BMW M3 and the 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package

...and the winner is:

2005%20Ford%20GT%2040%20255.jpg

The 2005 Ford GT!

Our next award is the Tammy Faye Bakker Award for Worst Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 1983 Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800 GSR IC Turbo, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS and the 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

15344013_BG2.jpg

The 2000 Camaro SS!

When not in Gran Turismo, cars will often times fill their spare time by appearing on television and in films. The Susan Lucci Award honors the Best Supporting Actor in Gran Turismo.

The nominees are: The 1998 Nissan Sileighty for Initial D, the 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am for Smokey and the Bandit, and the 1981 Audi Quattro for Ashes to Ashes

...and the winner is:

The 1998 Nissan Silieghty for Initial D!

Is this where you want to be when the baby Jesus comes back? The Joe Dirt "I'm-your-sister" Award is awarded to the car that best represents Detroit's inbred past, present, and future.

The nominees are: 2002 Dodge SRT Viper GTS, 1970 Chevrolet Nova SS and the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5)

...and the winner is:
256db4d65e9d054c3e181df394caaba5.jpg

The 1970 Chevrolet Nova SS!

The term "luxury" is often used to describe opulence and refinement. Brands like Bugatti, Mercedes and Ferrari are well known for their decadence. The Kim Kardashian "Bitch-how-is-you-not-a-Hobbit?" Award is given to the car that promises a 5 star Michelin rating while serving you a Big Mac and cold fries.

The nominees are: 2002 Dodge SRT Viper GTS, 2007 BMW M3 Coupe and 1999 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

...and the winner is:
1999astonmartinvantage-l-bf781bfb5dd924e7.jpg

The 1999 Aston Martin V8 Vantage!

Once in a while, a fresh talent surprises critics with talent that simply cannot be ignored. The Susan Boyle Award is given to car that we find surpasses expectations, and makes Simon Cowell look like a twit. Mostly the latter.

The nominees are: 2006 Peugeot 106 Rallye, 1991 TVR V8S and 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

189p46jehuvbhjpg.jpg

1981 Isuzu Piazza XE!

Michael Schumacher. Juan Manuel Fangio. Sebastian Vettel. Lewis Hamilton. These drivers have amassed multiple championships by being consistent throughout the course of a season, and better than the rest of the field a majority of the time. The Vanilla Ice Ice Baby Award is given to the GTPlanet member that best embodies the exact opposite of that, displaying a glimmer of hope only one lap at a time, per season.

The nominees are: MidFieldMaven, Vic Reign93 and Baron Blitz Red

...and the winner is:

In 2014, the world saw the global economy improve so much that the bottom 99% no longer mean anything. Corporate profits are at an all-time high, while wages are still stagnant if not falling. The Wall Street Journal Too-Big-To-Jail Award is given to the car that no one but the top 1% can afford, and because Santa also hates poor people.

The nominees are: 1999 Toyota GT-One (TS020), 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro and 2000 Pagani Zonda C12S

...and the winner is:

audi-pikes-peak-quattro-photo-208366-s-429x262.jpg

The 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro!

In 2008 the first GT Academy was held, and the day before the finals began, young Ted Thomas lost his life due to tragic and bizarre series of events. We honor Ted's memory each year by awarding the Grand Prize winner of GT Academy with a Red Helmet. This year we're also presenting a Ted Thomas Memorial Trophy to The Most Improved Driver over the course of the year.

...and the winner is:

Before we finish the evening, we want to take this moment to flush. We've handled our fair share of fecal matter this year, and now it's time to crown the King Turd of dung pile. If the automotive industry has an anus, The Worst Car of the Year would surely be from it, likely in liquid form. Oh, and be sure to wash your hands. Twice.

The nominees are: 2009 Toyota Prius G, 2002 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG and 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6

...and the winner is:

The 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6!

Determination. Courage. Motivation. Concentration. The prestigious Driver of the Year Award requires none of these traits. Instead it's awarded purely on the recommendation of the other drivers, the ones who put their lives at absolutely no risk every week. These are the men and women that accept no for an answer. Mostly women.

The Driver of the Year nominees are: Niku Driver HC, Lewis_Hamilton_ and PartTimeRacer

...and the winner is:

This year we're celebrating the Best New Member to join our ranks, as chosen by the other members of GTPlanet. It may be for their review style, their performance on the track, or maybe it's just the wit, charm and charisma that they've brought to our little slice of the community. All we know is that winner of the New Kids On The Block Award certainly have the right stuff.

The nominees are: RacingOtaku86, OGGamer and CaddyKOP

...and the winner is:

272157.jpg

OGGamer!

As the years go by, the competition on the track seems to get better and better. Sometimes, however, the competition between two drivers becomes so great that a rivalry ensues. Often times a race or two is all that is takes to settle any differences. Because of passion, over-competitiveness, or perhaps just a blind lust for vengeance, sometimes these drivers just can't let things go. The Ron Howard's Rush Award honors these combatants by celebrating the best rivalry between drivers throughout the year.

The nominees are: Vic Reign93 vs McClarenDesign, McClarenDesign vs Baron Blitz Red, Lewis_Hamilton_ vs Vic Reign93

...and the winner is:

124880.jpg
&
188309.jpg

McClarenDesign vs Baron Blitz Red!

Bruce Banner is a scientist with a monster hidden inside. Every now and then we find our own Bruce Banners, cars that casual outsiders scoff at only to find the demon unleashed soon after. We give the Disney-Owns-Everything Sleeping Beauty Award to such monsters to honor their accomplishments both on the track and in our hearts. Can you still be called a princess if your planet blows up?

The nominees are: 2000 Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon STi (Type-I), 1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1) and the 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE

...and the winner is:

hqdefault.jpg

The 2000 Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon STi (Type-I)!

L.L. Cool J one rapped about his mother instructing him to knock you out. And like a good son, he lyrically did. However the Ray Rice Award for Beater of the Year is given to cars that have received similar instructions and failed to do so. Instead, they're just another means of getting to and from work on a daily basis, while getting all the punishment of a right hook to an ex-girlfriend.

The nominees are: 2003 Opel and Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6, 2009 Toyota Prius G and the NASCAR racecars

...and the winner is:

2009 Toyota Prius G!

Monkey bars, swing sets, slides and rings, science has proven that children perform their best when they have easy access to a place to play. Although we age, we also perform our best when we have easy access to a place to play. The Bernie Ecclestone's-Not-Dead-Yet Award for Track of the Year honors those playgrounds.

The nominees are: Mid-Field Raceway, Grand Valley Raceway and Tokyo R246

...and the winner is:

Tokyo R246!

The day-to-day work that goes into this community-within-a-community isn't easy. Creating races, reading various posts and reviews, organizing players and promoting events, it all becomes overwhelming very fast. Every now and then inspiration comes along. Sometimes it is a post, a video, or even just hearing the sound of an exotic exhaust after work. The Whitney Houston-Before-Coke, Greatest Love of All Award for Community Service is given to those that help provide another reason why all of this work is absolutely worth it.

...and the winner is:

15%2B-%2B1

Sebastian Campbell!!!

Finally, it's time to present this year's Car of the Year Award. This award is given to the car that exceeded expectations in all areas, including comfort and interior styling. This is the car that other cars want to be. Unlike the awards given by Motor Trend, this award hasn't been pre-purchased by the manufacturer, but instead chosen by the members of GTPlanet (after accepting enough money to air condition hell from the manufacturer).

The nominees are:
2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package, 1966 Renault R8 Gordini and The Nissan Z cars

...and the winner is:

The Nissan Z cars!!!

Join us next week as we begin this process all over again for 2016. One lucky post will be chosen to disappoint the rest of us with their selection. You have been warned. Wardrobe provided by Hugo Boss. Please drink and drive responsibly. Promotional consideration paid for by: nobody.

Congratulations to all the winners.
On behalf of Sebastian Campbell I would like to thank everybody that has made us feel part of the team. He enjoys every minute and speaks very highly of you guys. We are looking forward to many fun races in 2016.
Thank you all! :)

Wow... Thank You Very Much for even considering me for anything, let alone for what I was mentioned for!!!

I hope you all had a Happy Ho Ho and a Very Cool Yule!!! May 2016 look upon us all favourably, and give us the speed to help with our "Racing at the Speed of Life"!!!

Congrats to all our winners!

Cheers

Because the Prius is one of the worst cars in Gran Turismo history, and one of the worst vehicles we have ever driven in COTW? That award suits the car like a rotten glove, and may the Prius rot forever in whatever corner it was put in...

I did not call the Scoobie wagon winning the award for best sleeper, I did not take it into account as I thought the STI badge gave its credentials away far too easily. As it turns out, a great badge was not enough to take the covers off the Imperial Chariot.

Another thing I did not expecting was being chosen as the Driver Of The Year. Me, a man worth enough of such honor? It does not compute all that well, but apparently people did not mind it that much by namedropping me for contention. The fact that I was rewarded with this award was unexpected to say the least, so I did not prepare a good speech for it beforehand.

So, making this short and sweet, thank you all at COTW for being one of the most entertaining and driver-friendly groups on GTPlanet. I do not regret joining it, nor I am considering leaving it anytime soon... Thank you gentlemen, and good night. "bows to crowd with award in hand and leaves the stage" :)👍 :gtplanet:

We started playing your exit music at the first mention of the word "Prius". Now everyone else's speech will need to contain just one word, because Niku stole all of your time.

We started playing your exit music at the first mention of the word "Prius". Now everyone else's speech will need to contain just one word, because Niku stole all of your time.

Oh darn it, I forgot that was the hint for the audio guy to play my exit theme song, apologies for shortening all your speeches. You know what they say; to empty a room full of petrolheads, all you have to say is "Prius"... unless the room's reaction involves violence, which in that case means you are truly dead.

Funny thing about the car of the year award is that I actually used a Z car in my very first race when I originally discovered the COTW group. I even won by quite a large margin.
Another funny thing is how I discovered this group;
It was from random lobby searching, rather than through here on GTP...despite how much I lurk here (silently, for the most part). Fun times. :)
I do wish I could play with all of you more often, but real life has prevented that for the past few months.

Funny thing about the car of the year award is that I actually used a Z car in my very first race when I originally discovered the COTW group. I even won by quite a large margin.
Another funny thing is how I discovered this group;
It was from random lobby searching, rather than through here on GTP...despite how much I lurk here (silently, for the most part). Fun times. :)
I do wish I could play with all of you more often, but real life has prevented that for the past few months.

Take care of what you need to, @Fire Yoshi , we'll still be here when you're done.

One word, huh?

"Uh..."

Quite.

Race 1: '71 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30)
Race 2: '83 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31)
Race 3: '89 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32)
Race 4: '08 Nissan Fairlady 370Z (Z34)
Race 5: 502 PP SS tyres stock tune

Using this lineup for Tuesday? Though, if we do, I vote to put in the 350Z (Z33). THEN, you'll have the perfect lineup of the Z's.

There are some legitimate beefs that can be leveled at NASCAR today that I will not only fully acknowledge, but completely agree with as well. The cars have gotten less stock with every iteration, the wild and raucous likes of Petty, Yarborough, Waltrip and Earnhardt have been replaced with men trained to recite every sponsor when they reach Victory Lane, and the proper season-long Championship Point System that rightly crowned the best driver every year for decades has been replaced with three different iterations of a 10 race "Chase for Championship." The latest version of the "Newer and Improveder" Chase has become so inane and gimmicky that it saw a driver that missed a third of the season with an injury crowned the Champion.

However, one criticism I'm so tired of hearing about is "Oh...they just turn left all the time and it takes no skill at all." If that's the case, then why have the driving talents of Juan Pablo Montoya, Sam Hornish, Scott Pruett, Dario Franchitti, Marcos Ambrose, and AJ Allmendinger found so little success when they tried their hands at the sport, yet NASCAR drivers Jamie McMurray and Kyle Larson can help their team win the 24 Hours of Daytona, and Kurt Busch can score a sixth place finish in the Indianapolis 500 with virtually no open wheel experience?

The answer I think is the nature of the NASCAR stock car itself. You don't get massive amounts of downforce, you don't get a lightweight car to pilot, and the only traction control at your disposal is your right foot. Unlike modern Formula One, where simply having the best engineered car in a given season virtually guarantees you win every race and cruise to being the World Champion, being successful at NASCAR is as fully dependent on driver skill as any series out there that tries to create parity between the different teams and manufacturers.

I will grant that my adoration of NASCAR hasn't been what it used to be, as I find myself watching more of Indycar and United Sportscar racing while Brian France seems to be actively trying to kill everything that was great about the motorsport that his grandfather created and his father turned into a sensation. Yet the saying is true, "You never forget your first love." I can't say that the NASCAR stock car is either Beater or Sleeper, but what I can say is that when I strap myself into one, the young me that grew up watching in-person these V-8 behemoths thundering around Michigan International Speedway re-awakens a little bit.

It's been a great second year of Car of the Week and I look forward to seeing you all further up the road in 2016.

Open Question to our COTW Community...

So now that we're into a new year, I was curious about what happened with last year's Year End Awards. After reading and re-reading the results, I'm kind of shocked that there was only 6 people that sent in submissions.

Which begs the question... Why???

We definitely have more than 6 who pop in and say hi, and give their respective opinions about the weekly victims. At the very least, that's shown in our race lobbies where sometimes there has to be 2 rooms on the go. So is there something that we (or at least @McClarenDesign ) can do to make the Awards part or anything COTW related better???

"Honesty is the better part of Valour"... so be honest in your comments, that way we can understand how to make things better. Personally, I really enjoy this thread and all the opinions expressed here. SO, EXPRESS THEM!!!

Cheers

So now that we're into a new year, I was curious about what happened with last year's Year End Awards. After reading and re-reading the results, I'm kind of shocked that there was only 6 people that sent in submissions.

We definitely have more than 6 who pop in and say hi, and give their respective opinions about the weekly victims. At the very least, that's shown in our race lobbies where sometimes there has to be 2 rooms on the go. So is there something that we (or at least @McClarenDesign ) can do to make the Awards part or anything COTW related better???

"Honesty is the better part of Valour"... so be honest in your comments, that way we can understand how to make things better. Personally, I really enjoy this thread and all the opinions expressed here. SO, EXPRESS THEM!!!

Cheers
I simply don't spend enough time here but from what I've seen everybody does an excellent job.

Cheers

I feel bad for not having as much input into CoTW as I would like, but unfortunately life has prevented a lot of my participation this year and with that, don't feel like I can really vote on many things due to missing out on numerous cars and people's talented moments on the track.

Back