Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Open Question to our COTW Community...

So now that we're into a new year, I was curious about what happened with last year's Year End Awards. After reading and re-reading the results, I'm kind of shocked that there was only 6 people that sent in submissions.

Which begs the question... Why???

We definitely have more than 6 who pop in and say hi, and give their respective opinions about the weekly victims. At the very least, that's shown in our race lobbies where sometimes there has to be 2 rooms on the go. So is there something that we (or at least @McClarenDesign ) can do to make the Awards part or anything COTW related better???

"Honesty is the better part of Valour"... so be honest in your comments, that way we can understand how to make things better. Personally, I really enjoy this thread and all the opinions expressed here. SO, EXPRESS THEM!!!

Cheers

Due to being new here, and essentially posting one review, disappearing for a few months, and then coming back near the end, I didn't really know if I knew enough about everything to vote yet. Also there's the fact that I haven't really done any lobbies yet.

I hope to change that this year, though...

So now that we're into a new year, I was curious about what happened with last year's Year End Awards. After reading and re-reading the results, I'm kind of shocked that there was only 6 people that sent in submissions.

We definitely have more than 6 who pop in and say hi, and give their respective opinions about the weekly victims. At the very least, that's shown in our race lobbies where sometimes there has to be 2 rooms on the go. So is there something that we (or at least @McClarenDesign ) can do to make the Awards part or anything COTW related better???

"Honesty is the better part of Valour"... so be honest in your comments, that way we can understand how to make things better. Personally, I really enjoy this thread and all the opinions expressed here. SO, EXPRESS THEM!!!

Cheers
Honestly? I just didn't take the time to do it. I do think this group deserves better than that, however. This is a great place to be with great people to be around and for that I thank you all. Keep up what you're doing and let's do 2016!

To honor the legendary Z-car, here are my best laps at Mid-Field in 10 road-going Nissan Z's featured in GT6, all on Comfort Soft tires.

1:23.027 - 460 - Nissan 350Z (Z33, US) '03
1:23.240 - 461 - Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
1:24.169 - 453 - Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '02
1:24.310 - 456 - Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07
1:25.816 - 442 - Nissan Fairlady Z Roadster (Z33) '03
1:25.935 - 440 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '89
1:29.337 - 415 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83
1:31.934 - 375 - Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68
1:31.967 - 378 - Nissan 240ZG (HS30) '71
1:34.241 - 364 - Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) '78

I love that little SR311. Yes, technically it's not a Z-car, but its lap time ties the 240ZG, and it is a Fairlady. The 280Z is just piggish in comparison, being over 2 seconds slower than the earlier versions of the car. The Z31 was a BIG improvement over the 240-280Z's, but the Z32 was an even BIGGER improvement over that. The gap between 240Z and the Z32 was now exactly 6 seconds. There's 2.7 seconds between the Z34 and Z32. So now, the difference between the 240Z and the Z34 is just under 9 seconds. It achieves that thanks to 37 years of engineering.

And a couple of race versions:

1:19.235 - 502 - Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune (Z33) '03
1:20.617 - 484 - Opera Performance 350Z '04
1:21.226 - 491 - Gran Turismo 350Z RS
1:23.428 - 454 - Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune Concept By GranTurismo (Z33) '02

Datsun-280ZX-book-12.jpg

Last edited:

Cheers

I wish I had the time to contribute more. I'm one of the guys who's only contribution is racing on Tuesdays. Hey, someone has to test how the car handles bouncing off the walls and plowing through the gravel. I've got that covered. I sent MC my favorite car from the last year, but I didn't know the categories. If I was around, I would of paid attention to it more instead of rushing, trying to remember which cars were even eligible. That's my fault. In my defense, I was on vacation and off the grid most of the week. I highly recommend that btw

I look forward to the Tuesday night races. Even though I most often finish last, it's still the most fun I have all week. At least I'll start first the next race.

The Car of the Week group had another exciting year of testing cars and determining if they were worthy of being called a sleeper or falling off the face of universe into the abyss of beaters or just being mediocre and falling into the middle of no mans land.

We saw a wide range of icon classic vehicles to modern sports and race cars that were put to the test of our faithful regulars. For the most part we all could agree that the Nissan Z cars were sleepers of the year and Opel/Vauxhall Vectra were beaters of the year. Over 2015 we gained more new members to COTW and added two days of testing to compensate for our overseas regulars and we even had to open a second room for certain nights but with all the cars we tested there were great battle to be won and new rivalries formed.

Through out the year, we paid tribute to legends in the automotive world and racing world that passed on. We also had many regulars take their chance with GT Academy trials and we had couple guest racers join us for some of the nights. All in all we've had some bump and bruises from the nights but all were for fun and games and some connection issues but we manage to make a great 2015 of COTW.

Here's hoping to another year of COTW and rivalries between all of us and good races to come. Let's find out who will be crowned the 2016 Car of the Year and who will be found at the bottom of wreckage pile that we can careless to drive and be king of the beaters.

I feel bad for not having as much input into CoTW as I would like, but unfortunately life has prevented a lot of my participation this year and with that, don't feel like I can really vote on many things due to missing out on numerous cars and people's talented moments on the track.
This goes for me as well.
If I can finally finish college in 2016, then race time should be easier for me.

I'm on the list of those whose participation has been lacking. I was quite active for most of the year, then some health issues got in the way. Since then its been a series of technology fails keeping me out. I've not been able to join in several weeks. I'm going to have to get past my fear of doing a complete reinstall of GT6, at times the game is unplayable.

Not sure if it will help in your situation @Draggon but I do a couple of little things to prevent online troubles...

1) Make sure to disable your PS3's Media Server Connection before playing GT6 (especially for online play)
2) Do a Internet Connection Test for your PS3 before online play or if server connection problems occur
3) In GT6, go to Options and clear your Network Cache on a daily basis.

Doing these things help... but it's not a cure for all of Sony's server problems. Hope it helps a bit.

Cheers

Not sure if it will help in your situation @Draggon but I do a couple of little things to prevent online troubles...

1) Make sure to disable your PS3's Media Server Connection before playing GT6 (especially for online play)
2) Do a Internet Connection Test for your PS3 before online play or if server connection problems occur
3) In GT6, go to Options and clear your Network Cache on a daily basis.

Doing these things help... but it's not a cure for all of Sony's server problems. Hope it helps a bit.

Cheers

Thanks BBR, I've done the Internet Connection Test and clearing the Cache routinely, but my Media Server has been enabled all this time. It will be a small miracle if disabling it helps!

It's been a month at least since I fired up the PS3, so while waiting for all the loading and such, I decided to buy a fresh 240Z and take it to Mid-Field. After a few screw-around laps to get my groove back, I started pushing hard, but couldn't beat my original best lap. This car is perfect. Like a Honda K24 in a first-gen Mazda MX-5, but with a fixed roof.

Fully modified specs:

309 hp / 6,500 rpm
268 ft-lb / 6,000 rpm
843 kg (1,859 lbs)
495 PP

Last edited:
Man those 300ZXs look good for standards. I'm gonna have to pick one up.

The 300ZX is a favorite of mine out of the Nissan Z cars. It handles pretty good and has decent power and great fun to throw around on Ascari. Not shown in MC replay of that race but it was a close race between me and Baron at the end.

For the most part we all could agree that the...Opel/Vauxhall Vectra were beaters of the year.

Consider me delivering the dissenting opinion from this majority vote. The Vectra was a poor car. But the Mercedes-Benz E55 was also a poor car that had a much higher PP rating, cost nearly three times as much, and should have been so much better than it turned out to be. It was bad enough that given the choice, I would rather drive my pick for 2014's Beater of the Year, the Dodge Challenger, than the E55.

It's been a month at least since I fired up the PS3, so while waiting for all the loading and such, I decided to buy a fresh 240Z and take it to Mid-Field. After a few screw-around laps to get my groove back, I started pushing hard, but couldn't beat my original best lap. This car is perfect. Like a Honda K24 in a first-gen Mazda MX-5, but with a fixed roof.

Fully modified specs:

309 hp / 6,500 rpm
268 ft-lb / 6,000 rpm
843 kg (1,859 lbs)
495 PP

That is quite the praise you give the 240Z, Maven. But then again, I can relate to that; it is a car which is light on its feet, but it does not step out of control the moment you turn in for any given corner. It's sharp enough to deal with similar classic coupes, and the Standard body looks good enough to be considered semi-Premium in my eyes. The only thing that GT is missing is having the ultimate of all 240Zs; the Fairlady Z 432, the Z named like a muscle car and goes like one too. Shame it must nearly impossible to find one in great condition that doesn't involve going to Nissan's warehouse in Zama, Japan...

Also, I want to apologize for my absence yesterday, I was called to leave the house to help my parents with groceries after a studying session, so I had zero time to get on the PS3. But I can say that the Zs are always cool cars in my book, as each one brings something else to the table. From the MX-5-like 240Z all the way to the sharp and powerful 370, the Fairlady is indeed Nissan's big brother coupe, especially after the Silvia's death. But will Nissan keep it alive as such? The 370Z is getting long in the tooth, and time moves fast for a sports car...

Also, I want to apologize for my absence yesterday, I was called to leave the house to help my parents with groceries after a studying session, so I had zero time to get on the PS3.

Do your parents live in Kazakhstan?!

That being said, congratulations Niku Driver HC!

I figure we'll give our Driver of the Year a shot at selecting this week's car.

Well thank you very mu...
...wait a second, didn't we do this last year already?

(expletive) Well, too late, go ahead.

I mean, I know that happened due to my incredible guessing powers, but still, you've giving the keys to this boat again to start 2016 off with a bang?

Okay then, I think the time is ripe for yet another Japanese car. I mean, why not? The community clearly wants more of Japan. So, without further ado...

n_58_Vallorani%20Riccardo.JPG

...it's the 2000 Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus!

"Look honey, I've bought a Ferrari!"
"But dear, that's a Fiat, Ferrari's aren't usually this small..."

It is definitely not your mother's Punto, that is a given. Then again, your mother's Punto does not include a 2.0-litre turbo engine. That is the Coupe's X-factor, while the design provides owners with the dreaded Bangle-factor.

Can the factory that ruined most BMW car designs ruin the Coupe's chances? Or will the front-wheel-drive do that first? Has Italy produced yet another infuriating coupe that promises more than what it can provide?

Let's see what this primadonna says for an answer...

I'd also like to point out that this car makes an excellent case for circumcision. Have you seen what it looks like with the hood up?! It ain't pretty!

galerieFiat-Coupe-20V-Turbo-Plus-eIUz.jpg

Easily the stupidest clamshell hood opening available on the market. Horrid.

Last week we didn't have a "Playing With TTs!" Time Trial, but this week it's back! Have a go on the Singapore Circuit Ver. 1.1, courtesy of welcomewelcome!

Last edited:
Well, @McClarenDesign, my parents aren't from Kazakhstan, but let's just say that I have had a busy weekend with studying and helping out. And, as a result, not much free time to indulge in my hobbies... But do not worry, I will attend next week's races, both as the Driver Of The Year and as the man who handpicked the car for said week.

As for our new friend, the Coupe, it is a good thing that players cannot replicate that atrocious tuning, really. Taste and the Coupe do not go hand in hand, that's a given, but can driving prowess go hand in hand with the Coupe?

Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus '00
2.0L
212 hp / 5,500 rpm
229 ft-lb / 2,500 rpm
1,310 kg (2,888 lbs)
409 pp

Best lap at Mid-Field on Comfort Soft tires:

Top speed at Mid-field: 126 mph

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:29.237 - 405 - Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05
1:29.247 - 429 - Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63
1:29.296 - 412 - Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution Rally Raid Car '03
1:29.315 - 378 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
1:29.335 - 417 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 3.0R '03
1:29.337 - 415 - Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83
1:29.363 - 399 - Renault Sport Clio R.S. 2.0 16V '02
1:29.371 - 402 - Honda Prelude SiR S Spec '98
1:29.371 - 388 - Lotus Elise '11
1:29.379 - 419 - Acura CL 3.2 Type-S '03
1:29.426 - 399 - Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor '98
1:29.437 - 396 - Honda Prelude SiR '96
1:29.459 - 406 - Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car '74
1:29.496 - 411 - Toyota Supra SZ-R '97
1:29.517 - 397 - Honda Accord Euro-R '02
1:29.577 - 425 - Toyota Caldina GT-Four '02
1:29.655 - 406 - Audi S3 '02
1:29.688 - 409 - Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus '00
1:29.697 - 405 - Honda Prelude Type S '96
1:29.715 - 405 - Toyota Altezza Gita AS300 '01
1:29.736 - 418 - Acura CL 3.2 Type-S '01
1:29.794 - 400 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) '84
1:29.799 - 390 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97
1:29.893 - 400 - Nissan Skyline GTS-R (R31) '87
1:29.908 - 415 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
1:29.914 - 387 - Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR '97
1:29.914 - 388 - Renault R5 Turbo '80
1:29.918 - 420 - Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type V '98
1:29.924 - 401 - Honda Prelude Si VTEC '91
1:29.937 - 403 - Seat Ibiza Cupra '04
1:29.942 - 432 - Land Rover Range Stormer '04
1:29.954 - 406 - Honda Accord Euro-R '00
1:29.995 - 407 - Peugeot RCZ '10
1:30.048 - 415 - Volvo C30 R-Design '09
1:30.076 - 389 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '97
1:30.126 - 403 - Mini Cooper S '11
1:30.170 - 407 - Audi TT Coupe 1.8T Quattro '00
1:30.175 - 394 - Peugeot 206 RC '03

It's a good rival for late-model Honda Preludes, and is nearly as quick as the six-cylinder, naturally aspirated Toyota Supra '97. I would go for the Prelude if I had to choose, due to its better aftermarket support and Honda reliability. So the Fiat gets a beater rating from me.

Hmm, how interesting, the Prelude is also a personal reference for comparisons against the Coupe in my own head... May I ask one thing, @MidFieldMaven? Where does the SiR version of the later Prelude sit in terms of car preference compared to the Type S and the Coupe? Without the ATTS gimmick, and with less weight, it may pose an even bigger threat to the Coupe as a complete package...

Obelisk's Half-Arsed Reviews
Week #???
Fiat Coupe '00

Ok, so... @McClarenDesign and @Niku Driver HC You two want me to drive an unreliable, ugly, shoddy and Italian coupe?

During my drive in the weekly TT, the Fiat's steering wheel broke off multiple times, leaving me to call out the age-old acronym: Fix it again, Tony!

I managed one lap without the Fiat falling apart or giving me a hard time.

Well...Apart from construction issues, the Fiat is actually kind of a nice drive. It had a fair amount of both power and grip, and can be cranked up to 404 HP (which is my third most powerful FF to date, following the Taurus at 410 and the Neon at 533).

I would say it has potential, but it might take a skilled driver with a pair made of solid steel and iron hands to wring this thing around like a pure racer.

I give it a Sleeper** rating with a catch: Some skill needed when upgraded.

**Watch out for angry Italian mechanics named Tony.

After a long hiatus, and due to the fact that my class has been postponed today (yay! :D), it brings me great pleasure to finally bring out a new edition of...

BAP_Shockz's Car of the Week Experience!!!

This week's car.....

the Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus '00!

Whew, it's been a while, hasn't it? Today marks about a year and a bit since I moved to Japan. In that time, I've seen plenty of different, interesting, and sometimes just plain weird cars here.

Gonna be somewhat sensible this week however, as a friend came to me one day, telling me he wants to sell his sports car because he's starting a family, and the car was getting too expensive to run. Fair enough, he wants me to drive around and make sure the car is fit for selling. I'm okay with that.

So what's the car?

Special Stage Route 5_4.jpg

....Right. An Italian sports car from the turn of the 21st century. This is probably gonna be a bit harder than I thought.

Let's start with the facts. The Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus is the most powerful version of the Coupe, that was first launched in 1993. The year 2000 marked the end of Coupe production, and what a better way to end a good run than with this.

The engine is a 2.0L inline-5 engine, that puts out 217hp. Respectable, I must say. 0-60 is done in a brisk 6.3 seconds, and it'll go all the way up to 155mph. Also very respectable. The body, designed by Chris Bangle, of Bangle-butt fame, is.......well, let's just say my opinions are split.

Starting up the engine for the first time, I have to say I'm actually impressed. The engine sounds throaty and has an audible rasp. Alright, good first impression. I went driving on the highway one night, suspiciously devoid of any other cars, and started stretching its legs.

Okay, I know it's a turbo, but it revs up to only 6500rpm? Mildly disappointing, but it still sounds great. I'm surprised that my buddy has kept this car so well-maintained, it runs as if it was still brand new. I had no problems with reliability at all, even though I was running the car for about 6 hours.

But enough of that, you want to know how it drives. That's what we're all here for.

Special Stage Route 5_5.jpg

Well, it's really tidy on the highway, even with the traction control off. It's quite forgiving, and the understeer is not intrusive or frustrating to deal with. It's a very well sorted chassis. There's enough torque to help the Coupe exit corners quickly, and overall, it just feels nice to drive. Nothing special, nothing out of this world, it's just nice.

The 6 hours blew by like a breeze, and in the wee hours of the morning, as the sun rose above the horizon, I decided to take it to a mountain pass, to really get a feel for the handling.
Andalusia_14.jpg

I'll be perfectly frank, I am not a fan of FF cars. I like the Civics and the 2nd gen Focus RS, but that's about it. While the Coupe won't change my mind about FF cars, it's well sorted enough for a nice run through the pass. It holds a good line, and I had decent fun with it.

It's rare to find a car like this in mint condition, especially when Italian/French cars in the early 00's were notorious for their unreliability. I decided to buy the car from my friend, right then and there, to add to my collection, because where else are you gonna find a Fiat Coupe in Japan this easily?

Andalusia_13.jpg

Overall, it's a sleeper, but just barely. It's surprisingly a neat and plucky sports car. 6/10

Bonus:

Here's a few pictures from when I bought a 280Z for the fun of it, and tuned it for Wangan racing. It's not ridiculously fast, but hey, 180mph is something I won't complain about.

Andalusia_12.jpg
Special Stage Route 7_15.jpg
Special Stage Route 7_16.jpg

Back