Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Just tested the Shelby Series One Super Charged '03 and figured it would make a nice comparison.

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64
4.7L
384 hp / 7,000 rpm
340 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,043 kg (2,299 lbs)
535 pp
81.7 hp/L
6.0 lbs/hp

Shelby Series One Super Charged '03
4.0L
319 hp / 6,500 rpm
290 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,202 kg (2,650 lbs)
486 pp
79.8 hp/L
8.3 lbs/hp

The Laguna Seca lap times (on CH tires) are crazy close...

1:43.720 - 535 - Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64
1:44.437 - 486 - Shelby Series One Super Charged '03

With a deficit of 65 hp, 50 ft-lbs, and 159 kg, the Series One is nearly as fast as the Daytona.

Last edited:
I figured I should get this write up done before the new year comes in.

Our plan was to drive the iconic Shelby Daytona Coupe for the last COTW of 2014 and have a good time.

But to paraphrase the old saying, The best laid plans usually falter due to connection issues. :rolleyes:

No matter what was tried, it just wasn't consistently stable enough for us to do multiple races ( we had 3 races with the Daytona ).

Not being the note I wanted to end COTW 2014 on, I asked Baron if we could run the Mazda LM55 bonus race abit earlier, even though the race went ok some drivers couldn't be seen by others.

All in all, not the best night we've had.

Now on to the cars, the Daytona got a very good reception right from the start for being easy to drive fast and sounding good.

The LM55 in my book is also a sleeper, despite being an LMP racer it does have unexpected levels of grip and acceleration.

The sound is also a thing of beauty, in fact my only real issue with it is the brakes, they just don't have the bite you expect from a LMP racer.

So overall, both cars are sleepers and wrap up 2014 quite well. 👍

Here's to a happy new year and hopefully less laggy servers. :lol:

Happy Holidays :cheers:

Sony needs to get it's act together. This game is unplayable online and I'm tired of wasting my time.

This is why I've re-approached the game in a single-player fashion. Despite the horrid AI, I'm finding fun bringing 'knives to gun fights', while trying cars I haven't used yet for hot-lapping tracks I don't often visit. Trying to stretch GT's life just a little longer.

That and I also really, really want to get to that 'PC-Sim' level of gameplay, just waiting on P.CARS and funds.

Will be doing more grinding today, and hopefully I take note to get a 'Daytona before the nights over.

Made this in 5 minutes with Photoshop. Happy New Year guys. :DD
Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 (No Chicanes) _2.jpg

Yes I do still drive the Chaparral. Most extreme car of the year for me.

I can't get a wheel. Other crap I'd rather buy, and the gifts I receive don't top $20. PC is out of my range. By the time I could, I'd also need a PS4 and GT7. Sorry, it's impossible.

Less than 11 hours left for Car Of The Year submissions.

I can't get a wheel. Other crap I'd rather buy, and the gifts I receive don't top $20. PC is out of my range. By the time I could, I'd also need a PS4 and GT7. Sorry, it's impossible.

Less than 11 hours left for Car Of The Year submissions.

I have similar problems. Could get a wheel, but not enough space to create a proper driving rig. That, the fact I have other stuff to buy and the fact that my PC does not have the strongest set up for games (decent enough for slightly older games, but not so much for newer ones without seriously reducing graphical settings) mean that I can't quite sink my teeth into the PC driving sim biz. And most of the games you've mentioned, @Lewis_Hamilton_, they aren't properly complete yet. Yes, I get that they show promise. But Project CARS has been delayed, and both Wreckfest and Assetto are still being built as we speak. From those three, I'm only really interested in Wreckfest because I loved Flatout 2 and Bugbear seem reliable enough to pass as a (rare) company that enjoys their work while listening to the players. Soon, the time for a new console comes up and then my money needs a break, so... You get the picture.

Thank godness I've alreday submitted my entry way earlier, then. :D

Last edited:
Absolutely in agreement with all the praise the Cobra Daytona is getting. The sound of the engine alone makes the car's high price worth the cost of admission.

Literally the only thing wrong with it is the inability to put a number on the car. (Seriously, Polyphony? A race car with spots already designated for a racing number, and yet we can't put a number on it?)

Happy roads ahead to everyone in 2015!

Oh boy, looks like it's time for......

BAP_Shockz's Car of the Week Experience
(New Year's edition)

Why can't I standardize the font size god damn it.

Today's car is the...
1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe!

What a legendary car. Now I've driven plenty of classics before. I've loved most of them. A few of them stood out in my memory; the Plymouth Superbird, the 'Cuda, the Chevrolet Nova, and one of personal favourites, the Shelby Cobra 427. With a massive 7.0 litre V8 putting out a monster 425hp, it was pretty much a death trap. But it's a death trap I fell massively in love with. This Cobra though, came before that.
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg

Let's check out the specs first. This car appears to be based on the 289 Cobra, because it has the same 289-cubic inch (4.7L) V8 as the 289, only in this car, it puts out a respectable 389hp. Given a long enough straight, you could easily do about 280km/h. It weighs just over a ton, and is aerodynamically more efficient that the normal Cobra. The body shape looks fantastic, and like most other classic cars, the car has aged relatively well.

Because it's an American race car with some serious pedigree, I decided to take it to one of the more complicated US tracks, the famed Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Right off the bat, the sound this car makes is amazing. You can really hear and feel the grumbling of the angry V8 engine just raring to go. What I did notice, was that the gears are long. Really long. Like, 0-60 takes quite a while long (about 4-5 seconds), but when it gets up to speed, it doesn't lose it quickly. You could say it's almost like a tourer in that regard, being able to maintain high speeds with ease. At Laguna Seca, it takes corners very well, only slightly letting the back end out at the first hairpin. I can honestly say this car is one of the most composed I've driven of all the classic racing cars. Even at the chicane it didn't falter.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca_1.jpg

Did I mention it looks amazing? I'm honestly very impressed with this car. The fact that it's paintable is a bonus as well, although I hate that you can't put a number on it.

(There's no story to this one because, well, the car doesn't even have any proper livery, or a racing number, so it's really hard to base off something)

Overall, I like this car very much, in fact I'd call it one of my favourite cars this year. It's composed, it's fast, it's good looking, and it certainly drives like a dream for what it's worth (4,500,000 Cr., mind you).

Overall score: 9/10

A Great Finish to a Great Year...

Just wanted to say thank you to all involved here in the COTW for a great year and thanks to @McClarenDesign for letting me indulge in this weeks car... The Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64!!! Simply put, it's a MUST have in anyone's garage. The beauty of her is apparent in a few ways... looks, sound and performance.

Zy1PLTM.jpg

I find it kind of fitting that she's the poster girl for Week 51 as here in the year of 2015 she turns 51 years old. A gorgeous icon of yesteryear, it's personified in full premium glory here in GT6. I have always loved this car, and just had to share it with everyone else.

ZH2Nuw5.jpg

So hopefully all you people that didn't have this in your stable yet will forgive me for having you drop a good chunk of change for this beauty... but now that you DO have her, I doubt anyone would really complain. It's one of those cars that you must have. Historically significant, beautifully rendered in both looks and sound and it's a Shelby! If you get a chance, take her to Sarthe, the track she was built for. What a combo!

R3L8d1H.jpg

World Class and Kicking... but you know the rest. ;) It's been a great year, but that was yesterday. Here in the brand new year of 2015, I'm hoping for even better. Best to you and yours people! Happy New Year!

Cheers

As someone who didn't previously own this thoroughbred racer, I will agree that it is a must-own, but I will not agree that the 4.5mil was justified. Mid-to-low 2's I could, but not double that.

I hear the same V8 sound-sample (on-throttle) from the NASCAR's & Ford GT Racers - and the performance, while still enjoyable, isn't breaking the rules of reality. It's fast, don't get me wrong, it's balls-fast (especially for its period:scared:), but if we're talking pure-performance & laptimes, my personal GT6 street-Z06 could show it some new tricks. :lol:

If it's any sentiment, the Ferrari 250 GT had more of a questionable price-tag. But I now own both and while they don't get my blood going like my recent toys, a Zonda R & a Veyron (that can handle), they are however some of the best eye-candy to behold in GT at this time.
The Daytona is simply beautiful, from any angle really, and that beauty is more than skin-deep. Get 'her to hold still, and there is detail everywhere, from the front to the back, and all in between. While she's sitting still, let her just idle, and all the praise she's given for sound is justified at that one moment in time, because good-god that's an American-Cackle if I ever heard it in GT6. :sly:

The performance is still notable, it feels light at the edge of performance despite having American-roots, and when that motor is 'on' - It. Is. On. :drool:. In fact that's one of my pet-peeves with the 'Shelby' engines in this game, they are such a tease, nothing-nothing-waitaminute-ohsweetlordtakemymone- ... and then your out of gear :banghead:, left wanting more despite paying obscenely for your time with her. :indiff:

Again, I find myself wanting to go back to the Cyborg, for one more lap where I found that 'spark' in testing cars again, it's my Cinderella of all the cars I've been around for. Yes, the Daytona and Ferrari 458 are beautiful and know some wonderful moves, like the 'hot' girls from back in school, but ultimately the one you want is the girl next door who always like you, because she's kinky fun and knows how to let loose without breaking the bank. 👍

TL;DR - Great car, bit over-priced IMO, Handles well (as a racecar should) and was a Performer back in its day. "Sleeper" status (if we must call it that) confirmed for 1964 standards. :D

It's not overpriced if you think about how much it would cost to actually own the car in real life.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/shelby-daytona-coupe-gains-national-historic-status

"As the first car to warrant U.S. Heritage Documentation, Shelby's first-ever Daytona Coupe now merits the same significance as the Chrysler Building, the Apollo capsule, and the USS Iowa."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/death-deception-and-the-4-million-cobra-feature

Amazing that PD got the price right.

I get the real-price connection, but in a "racing simulator", I should be more concerned about other things, yet here I am questioning the PD-market. :lol:

For the last year, GTPlanet members have been tasked with reviewing the best and worst that Gran Turismo 6 has to offer. Some found gems, some found turds. Today we celebrate those gems and turds with:

GTPlanet's Beater or Sleeper Car of the Year Awards!

Other awards shows have entertainment acts and celebrities. You get my fat (expletive) and the music you can make with your mouth. If that's not good enough for you, Google the words "Justin Beiber" and promptly STFU, GTFO and DIAF. We thank you for your cooperation.

Like all other awards shows, we'll delay the bigger prizes until the end because our ratings suck and you'll just skip everything before then anyway.

The first award is the Bridgette Wilson Award for Best Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 2010 Peugeot RCZ, 1999 Jaguar XKR, 2001 Spyker C8 Laviolette and the 2001 Honda/Acura NSX
...and the winner is:

_JL32014.jpg

The 1999 Jaguar XKR!
Our next award is the Tammy Faye Bakker Award for Worst Hair and Makeup.

The nominees are: 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse, 2008 Dodge Challenger, 1993 Mazda 323F/Lantis Coupe 2000 Type R and 2003 Chrysler Neon SRT4
...and the winner is:

images

The 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse!
When not in Gran Turismo, cars will often times fill their spare time by appearing on television and in films. The Susan Lucci Award honors the Best Supporting Actor in Gran Turismo.

The nominees are: 1984 Ferrari GTO for Magnum P.I., 1966 Volkswagen 1200 for Herbie Does Dallas, 2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type S for the play Driving Miss Daisy and 1998 Ford Taurus SHO for Queer As Folk.
...and the winner is:

carf10306192331.grid-6x2.jpg

The 1966 Volkswagen 1200 for Herbie Does Dallas!
Is this where you want to be when the baby Jesus comes back? The Joe Dirt "I'm-your-sister" Award is awarded to the car that best represents Detroit's inbred past, present, and future.

The nominees are: 1970 Plymouth Superbird, 2003 Ford SVT Lightning, 2008 Dodge Challenger and 1967 Chevrolet El Camino SS 396
...and the winner is:

attachment.php

1970 Plymouth Superbird!

The term "luxury" is often used to describe opulence and refinement. Brands like Bugatti, Mercedes and Ferrari are well known for their decadence. The Kim Kardashian "Bitch-how-is-you-not-a-Hobbit?" Award is given to the car that promises a 5 star Michelin rating while serving you a Big Mac and cold fries.

The nominees are: 1990 Infiniti G20, 2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type S, 1998 Toyota Corolla Levin BZ-R and 1996 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport (C4)
...and the winner is:

0508_12z%2BInfiniti_G20%2BFront_View_With_Model.jpg

The 1990 Infiniti G20!
Once in a while, a fresh talent surprises critics with talent that simply cannot be ignored. The Susan Boyle Award is given to car that we find surpasses expectations, and makes Simon Cowell look like a twit. Mostly the latter.

The nominees are: 1957 BMW 507, 1972 Alpine A110 1600, 2010 Peugeot RCZ and 2008 BMW Z4M
...and the winner is:

SetRatioSize900600-bmw-507NYC-Auto-Show-1955.jpeg

The 1957 BMW 507!

Michael Schumacher. Juan Manuel Fangio. Sebastian Vettel. Lewis Hamilton. These drivers have amassed multiple championships by being consistent throughout the course of a season, and better than the rest of the field a majority of the time. The Vanilla Ice Ice Baby Award is given to the GTPlanet member that best embodies the exact opposite of that, displaying a glimmer of hope only one lap at a time, per season.

The nominees are: McClarenDesign for every single race, ever. SuzukaStar for his amazing research at Fuji, or lackof. Vic Reign 93, for that (expletive) he did with the Chaparral 2X and NixxxoN for his incredible interview with David Frost.
...and the winner is:

In 2014, the world saw the global economy improve so much that the bottom 99% no longer mean anything. Corporate profits are at an all-time high, while wages are still stagnant if not falling. The Wall Street Journal Too-Big-To-Jail Award is given to the car that no one but the top 1% can afford, and because Santa also hates poor people.

The nominees are: 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, 1984 Ferrari GTO, 2013 Bugatti Veyron and 1989 Sauber Mercedes C9.
...and the winner is:
Babe%20veyron.jpg

The 2013 Bugatti Veyron!

In 2008 the first GT Academy was held, and the day before the finals began, young Ted Thomas lost his life due to tragic and bizarre series of events. We honor Ted's memory each year by awarding the Grand Prize winner of GT Academy with a Red Helmet. This year we're also presenting a Ted Thomas Memorial Trophy to The Most Improved Driver over the course of the year.

There are no nominees.
...and the winner is:

Before we finish the evening, we want to take this moment to flush. We've handled our fair share of fecal matter this year, and now it's time to crown the King Turd of dung pile. If the automotive industry has an anus, The Worst Car of the Year would surely be from it, likely in liquid form.

The nominees are: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8, 2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type S, 2002 Caterham Seven Fireblade and 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse
...and the winner is:

file.php

The 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse!

Determination. Courage. Motivation. Concentration. The prestigious Driver of the Year Award requires none of these traits. Instead it's awarded purely on the recommendation of the other drivers, the ones who put their lives at absolutely no risk every week. These are the men and women that accept no for an answer. Mostly women.

The Driver of the Year nominees are: McClarenDesign (again), Baron Blitz Red, JackRyanWMU and photonrider
...and the winner is:

Finally, it's time to present this year's Car of the Year Award. This is the award is given to the car that exceeded expectations in all areas, including comfort and interior styling. This is the car that other cars want to be. Unlike the awards given by Motor Trend, this award hasn't been pre-purchased by the manufacturer, but instead chosen by the members of GTPlanet (after accepting enough money to air condition hell from the manufacturer).

The nominees are: 1984 Ferrari GTO, 2001 Volkswagen Lupo GTI, 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR and 2004 Alfa Romeo 3.2 V6 24V
...and the winner is:

display.php

The 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V!!!

Join us next week as we begin this process all over again for 2015. One lucky post will be chosen to disappoint the rest of us with their selection. You have been warned. Wardrobe provided by Hugo Boss. Please drink and drive responsibly. Promotional consideration paid for by: nobody.

Last edited:
One of my cars got a Kardashian award!? Welp, low spot of my 2015 already. :lol: And I guess no one can live without an Alfa Romeo the same way they can live with one in the first place. Go figure, it's that charismatic. I'm happy that the Lupo was elected at least, a bright spotlight in a otherwise crappy award list for me.

Great job with the awards, and also you can shove that Kardashian award in the garbage, no place for turds in my house. :lol:

Last edited:
Congrats to @Baron Blitz Red and the Alfa GT V6. :cheers:

Wasn't surprised to see the eclipse take the beater crown, but I'm surprised how many Front wheel drive cars got the nod for the sleeper crown.

But now my interest has been piqued, if you don't mind me asking, how big were the differences in the voting for the awards?

I'm guessing the Eclispe was a landslide choice,(:P) but how close were the driver and sleeper of the year awards?

Here's to one year of COTW and here's to another year of one liners, dark humour, fast cars, bad cars, close racing and Ted Thomas. :lol::cheers:

I was laughing for most of the awards as it was well put together with Mc's patented sense of humour... then I got to the one with my name on it. Then it was shock! I'm pretty sure this is what happens when you allow voting and excessive drinking at the same time... THANK YOU ALCOHOL!!! :lol: (kidding people, I thank alcohol and 4-20)

But seriously, thank you for even considering me!

Thank you @McClarenDesign for your dedication to the thread and for all the patience displayed in your hosting duties every week. If it wasn't for you, we just wouldn't have the immeasurable amounts of fun we all enjoy! :cheers:

Here's to another year of interesting reactions to cars and more fun racing as I'm pretty much addicted to this thread!

Cheers

Then it was shock! I'm pretty sure this is what happens when you allow voting and excessive drinking at the same time... THANK YOU ALCOHOL!!! :lol: (kidding people, I thank alcohol and 4-20)

But seriously, thank you for even considering me!

It was well deserved, you have improved by a great deal over a short amount of time.

I also think Greenbrains deserves an honorable mention. He was already a speedy driver in the first place, but he has become seriously fast now.

Latest Posts

Back