Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Man, I managed to get gold on this event using the DS3 before this fix. It pains me to know that now people will have an easier time compared to what I had to go through. :banghead::banghead:

Just do what I will do, take advantage of this update and go even faster. :lol:

At least you can say you got gold the hard way. :P

Now If you excuse me, I have a McClaren to chase down. :D

Get used to it. :D
You know something? I did... :eek:

image.jpg

Was the worst 15 minutes of my life. :lol:

Hey MC... you faster than me or am I still ahead of you in the 2X?

I have no idea, I just like talking trash.

I got a 1:15.0 in the Mazda VGT after 3 laps. I really suck with ultra-fast, overpowered cars...wish they would throw in some seasonals using underpowered cars. Getting really tired of cars that can do 0-150 mph in under 5 seconds. Give me a Nissan Bluebird seasonal or something.

Kicked Suzuka's though.

I would eventually like to get the vaunted 20 Mil credits to buy the GT40 MkIV similar to the one I'd seen in real life, sounds like I may be delayed in that endeavor some :P

As for the Crossfire, I tried it out in an offline Nighttime race at Willow Springs, and purely from a technical standpoint, the car didn't do anything really wrong. That said, it wasn't anything spectacular either. So that brings me to the styling, and part of the reason I chose a night race for my test. The front end looks rather decent, but the night time race spared me from the "Ass in the breeze" styling of the rear end of the Crossfire while driving in my usual "Chase Cam" mode. So while it's not the worst car I've ever been in, I can't see myself spending anymore time in it.

Going back further to the 458, hearing all the praise for it, I almost feel like the boy who's going to declare that "The Emperor Has No Clothes!" Well, alright, it's not that extreme, I would agree that it's a fantastic looking car, but I found it's "understeer in, oversteer off" tendencies in the corners was more aggravating than endearing. And as I evidenced in my run in the Ford GT at Le Mans (before I inexplicably spun out for no reason early the second lap, I blame the random influence of Ted), cars that cost half as much as it are able to compete with it. As many positive attributes the 458 has, to me, in order for it to be worth twice the cost of the Ford GT or Corvette ZR1, it needs to be twice as good. And I don't really think it is.

Hope you all have had a Merry Christmas, looking forward to what New Years surprise awaits us on the COTW front next week. :)

I hear a ton of talk about over/understeer from a few of our cars, the Crossfire and Italia notably. To be fair, both are fairly neutral, given their layouts.

Yes, they will over/understeer depending on your driving, but they're pretty neutral and balanced so long as you keep your driving neutral and balanced. It's not the nightmare everyone paints.

If you really want an example of how good you've had it over the past few weeks, go drive the Oullim Spirra. Then you'll be more qualified to make snap judgements. (Don't worry, you'll see what I did there soon enough.)

I hear a ton of talk about over/understeer from a few of our cars, the Crossfire and Italia notably. To be fair, both are fairly neutral, given their layouts.

Yes, they will over/understeer depending on your driving, but they're pretty neutral and balanced so long as you keep your driving neutral and balanced. It's not the nightmare everyone paints.

If you really want an example of how good you've had it over the past few weeks, go drive the Oullim Spirra. Then you'll be more qualified to make snap judgements. (Don't worry, you'll see what I did there soon enough.)

Ok, we may have to pay attention to that next time we do the driving bit. I guess the time when one can talk about over\understeer is when those behaviours actually happen when we drive them neutrally. Right?

Also, what did you do there soon enough? Are we going to have to drive the Spirra? Dammit Mcclaren, you know I hate near-death experiences... :scared:

Spirra. I had one of those in GT4 I think they were introduced. Under another manufacturer. Proto Motors if I am correct. I respected that car back then.

Near death experiences in games are all good. Nothing can happen from them :D

Last edited:
Oullim Spirra...
'snap judgements'...
2618366.jpg

In related news, I actually haven't gotten a Crossfire yet :indiff:, with the PSN ups&downs, I've been killing time re-visiting and tweaking all of my cars for 1.15, not even thinking of the Chrysler... Been a good week !
:lol:

UPDATE: 12/28/14
I've finally got the Crossfire and brought it to the Nordschleife for some early-morning pacing. As a 'neutral' person towards this car, it does in-fact drive well, understeer was more common than oversteer, but not excessive in announcing its presence. As for the power-unit, it does have that 'V6 wound-out past its comfort-zone' groan, but it is hardly impressive or inspiring as others mentioned in terms of forward-thrust, what surprised me more was the car's mid-1300kg (I think) weight. Being a 'luxury' of Chrysler, I'm surprised it didn't weigh more, if anything being the cars saving grace.

But that 'grace' is quickly eliminated from the looks. I will admit this car is far from pretty, as others have stated, and I'm rather shocked how well Jezza's "dog doing business" motif fits to describe the car.

Overall, the car (as the game puts it) is the superior car to its Mercedes cousin, it'll drive just fine in stock form (you have to work for its oversteer if you want it), but the engine is far from being noteworthy, and the looks have (obviously) turned many enthusiasts away towards other options. A 'sleeper' if it needs saying, but it'll most likely stay asleep with many other, better options out there. Perhaps a V8 (or V10 *cough*) version with some big design changes would've been something of note, but I'll stick with my ACR Viper for now. 👍

Last edited:
Caught in the Crossfire!

TzxVKvw.jpg

So for Week 50 (still can't get over we're here already), we jump into action with the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. A Mercedes SLK320 with an American twist, this Karmann produced vehicle was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Perfect for this time of year, it like the ugly Xmas sweater people wear, just to prove there might be something special underneath. Unfortunately, we didn't get the wolf in the form of the supercharged SRT-6 version here in Gran Turismo.

wc2Tkzd.jpg

A lightweight compared to most American cars, the Crossfire weighs in at 1,361 kilos. With a 3.2 litre V6, the GT6 version boasts 214 hp with 228.5 ft-lbs of torque before the oil change for 417pp. With the oil change you get an extra 7pp and 10 hp. Just for giggles, in one of the unofficial races, I brought out the famous 190 E 2.5-16 Evo. II to see how it stacked up against MC on his go to track, Laguna Seca. It didn't go so well for me... :confused:

After a bit of wheel time, getting used to the car and how it handles, I actually liked it. I've only tried it out stock so far, and I could see that it does fairly well against a wide range of competition from a slew of different manufacturers. The idea behind the Crossfire was full of good intentions, but should have been redone in a way to make it special. It misses the mark on a bunch of levels, including looks, but that just adds to the underestimation of the car. It gets a Sleeper status from me as-is, and will probably shine even more when tuned.

aBbTGEl.jpg

I hope everyone had a Happy Ho Ho and wish you all a very Cool Yule. May the speed be with you in 2015!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hopefully another opportunity to learn... every race I learn something different, whether it's small or a revelation it adds to my library of racing knowledge which makes me a better competitor (hopefully).

Congratulations Baron Blitz Red!!!

Now that you've upped your game, tell us what you've got for us.

Well let's go out on a high note if you please!

We lost an icon this year, and would like to honour him a little. Let's bring into the spotlight the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64!

Actually, that was last year, but the 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe was a car that we didn't get to test!

i243216.jpg

I had the pleasure of seeing one at the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, CO.

Shelby%2BAmerican%2BCollection%2BMuseum%2B-%2B28

Special Announcement:

There will be no winner chosen for week 52, our 1 year anniversary. Instead, please send me a message (titled Car of the Year) containing your picks of the Best and Worst car we've tested all year. Week 52 will be our Car of the Year ceremony, with various awards handed out. If there's a goofy award that you'd like to nominate (Worst Facial Feature- Fisker Karma's mustache, for instance) then include that in your PM and I'll try to work it it.

In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen by myself as the tie-breaker. Submissions must be entered no later than 12/31/2014 (31/12/2014 for everyone across the pond) at 11:59p. The winners will be announced for week 52, and I'm sure we'll do something for that Tuesday. Please keep all votes to cars that have been reviewed by us over the year- a handy list is on the OP (so the Karma was a bad example, but you get my point).

Finally, please also select a Driver of the Year. Please base your decision on not just racing prowess, but also content of posts within this thread. Otherwise it'd be down to Vic and Lewis, and everyone deserves their shot!

If you have any questions, please message me directly.
(Please note that the '07 Mazda Roadster RS (NC) is not qualified for this award)

So that's what you meant by big money?

To be honest, even if I didn't already have one it would be chump change for my bank account. :P ( 47 million in case you're wondering :eek::lol:)

This car I know is good to drive, admittedly you can get 4 VGT's and a 1948 Hudson for exactly the same money as the Daytona.

Bonus trivia:

There's apparently a myth regarding the Daytona, it's often said it partly influenced the need for the UK national speed limit after doing 185 mph on the M1 back in 1964 during testing for Le Mans. :eek:

I did some research and it turns out quite a few manufactures did it too and back then it was all legal because of no speed limits.

By the way, would it be a good idea to bring along the Mazda LM55 as well considering we're going out with a bang for the year?

There's apparently a myth regarding the Daytona, it's often said it partly influenced the need for the UK national speed limit after doing 185 mph on the M1 back in 1964 during testing for Le Mans. :eek:

That is no myth. Ever hear of the straw that broke the camel's back? Carroll's boys took that a step further.

By the way, would it be a good idea to bring along the Mazda LM55 as well considering we're going out with a bang for the year?

Duh.

I hope the 15th Anniversary editions are not permitted. They have different tuning to their standard counterparts.

Also some of us aren't rich enough to own the anniversary edition... like me :/

De-tuned, the Anniversary Edition is actually down on horsepower, with no weight savings. Using one is permissible but not advisable.

Here are the vids from last week. Server lag has gotta stop!

Back