Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

* sorry for the double post, but this is going to be long with all these pictures.

1984 Ferrari 288 GTO

1City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

Nice looking car, but how will she stack up to my beloved 458 Italia?

She comes in at 393hp/520pp and where else would you go to test a Ferrari (other than Fiorano which is not in the game) but the home of the Italian GP itself...Monza! I swear this track has been in nearly every race game I have had in the past 20+ years and is one of my favorites for high speed, high powered cars.
Autodromo Nazionale Monza.jpg

Traffic jam heading into Roggia on lap 1.

Monza TT, best of 5 laps:
1:52.547
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_1.jpg

I thought the Nardo would put up a better fight, I took her rolling outside through Lesmo 2.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_2.jpg

I had plenty of speed to dispatch with these two screaming up Serraglio and getting back outside for Vialone.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_3.jpg

I got by the Boss 302 early in lap two at Rettifilo and caught up to the California at Lesmos.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_4.jpg

Using the same outside maneuver as I did to take the Nardo at Lesmo 2 I get by the California through Lesmo 1.
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_5.jpg

So I finish the back half of lap 2 thinking: Is this all there is? So I'm just cruising down the front stretch on lap 3 when I notice a flash of orange in the rear view...it's the Nardo and it is coming hard!

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_6.jpg

So the sight of that orange beast about to drive up my tailpipe woke me up and I thought that I just might have a race on my hands. 🤬 that big W12 is fast on the straights! I was able to gap him some on the twisty bits though.
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_7.jpg

The Nardo closing in entering the Parabolica on lap 3...

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_8.jpg

...and looking to make the inside move entering Rettifilo early on lap 4.

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_9.jpg

Wash, rinse, repeat...I could get a little gap on the twisty's and the Nardo would close it back up on the straights. I had to block the inside move going into Rettifilo on lap 5. He is getting dangerously close now and I am thinking I am going to need a near perfect lap on this last one to pull this off.
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_10.jpg

I noticed that they added about a yard of tarmac to the outside of many of these corners, now I know why and I am using all of it trying to gap the Nardo.
Autodromo Nazionale Monza_11.jpg

Walikin' the line, I almost lose it coming out of Ascari, one more big corner to go!

Autodromo Nazionale Monza_12.jpg

The 288 GTO takes the checkers a scant .385 seconds ahead of the W12 Nardo :nervous:

Well , that was fun, I don't usually get much of a race out of the AI, but that Nardo was on my tail for the final 3 laps of a 5 lap race. One little slip and I could have easily snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Monza 5 laps vs pro AI:
Finish: P1, total time - 9:49.957, best lap - 1:54.596

Beater or sleeper, c'mon, it's a Ferrari. She's certainly no beater and I couldn't imagine anyone being surprised that she's fast. How fast is hard to tell. I blew by the California at Monza with no problems and I believe it is about the closest other Ferrari in pp value. Of course, PD's AI isn't usually the best judge of a cars character if you know what I mean. I just may have to go get a California now and she how she stacks up. The Italia was one of my all time favorite cars in GT5 to race, but I haven't driven her in GT6 so I can't really judge against that either.
I guess if I had any nits to pick at all it may be these two: the brakes were strong, but could have been better. I didn't try the racing brake option so that may solve this issue. The curbs at Monza are quite small, but they did tend to unsettle the GTO more than I expected. Softening the suspension might help, but more often than not I tend to stiffen it at a track like Monza. It could have just been me also, who knows? This really is just nit picking though, I'm not sure if I ever drove a car at Monza that I didn't feel I NEED MORE BRAKES :crazy: just seems to be the nature of this track.
Final verdict: She's Ferrari, she's gorgeous, she's fast...what more could a man ask for? Maybe those four blondes, but you can't have everything...where would you put it all :sly:

what about the "other" GTO? made by Mitsubishi. (it's known as the 3000GT in the states.)

Another car that is sorely ignored. I have several of them (various models) and they are all fast runners.
I also have the Galant GTO both stock and tuned, again surprisingly fast.

The car from this picture is not a 288 GTO, I think it´s a 308 GTS.

If you study the history of the 288, you will find them closely related in looks for a reason. ;)

Just dropped in to say my review will be in shortly - probably Saturday. It was fun trying out this car, and a real treat to see so many of them at one go. Thanks to McDee for humoring me and accepting my choice.
Also - I present my reviews in the form of a fictional narrative - a novel if you wish - though it seems to be coming along as pulp fiction. So Chapter 2 - how Harry goes to Rome to meet the CotW gang (and ends up racing GTOs in the rain at Monza) will of course review this enigma we know as the 288 GTO which seems to be neither a sleeper, nor beater. Or both.

Resemblance to any person, or places, mentioned in the The CotW gang Chronicles is purely coincidental. :)

1.25 meeellion! Still, it is a Ferrari and one of the best looking ones at that.

At the usual Brands Hatch Indy it drove amazingly well, not uncontrollable at all. Time with the stock sports hards was 52.073, but another go with some racing hards got that down to 48.489, the quickest COTW so far.

At the Ring I took 8:24.167, but that was with a massive spin at Adenauer Forst after I touched the grass.

A classic

Quick question. How do you "win" in this challenge? Is there a time trial or a race at the end of every week? Are the cars driven stock or upgraded?

Quick question. How do you "win" in this challenge? Is there a time trial or a race at the end of every week? Are the cars driven stock or upgraded?

Well the COTW is about bringing cars that may be ignored by the majority of people to the spotlight. If for example, you give an eye-catching review of the current Car of the Week, you may "win" the privilege to choose the next week's selection. On Tuesdays, McLaren hosts a series of races with the latest victim of our attention span at 10pm CST or 11pm EST. Some weeks it's all stock racing, and some have stock and tuned racing as well.

The more the merrier, so stick around and join us!

Cheers

Last edited:
We all win in this challenge...just by taking part, having fun and extending the series. MD started this originally late in GT5, most of us had long "finished" the game, had most/all of the cars and were bored. With the short career mode in GT6 I probably would have shelved it by now and gone on to another series of Codemasters F1, but I am keeping busy and having fun with cotw and waiting for PD to update GT6 with the features promised. You can test cars stock, tuned or both. Occasionally a member will post times at a certain track and others will see how they can compare. If you are into online racing, like Baron said, come out on Tuesday nights. Yes, join in the fun đź‘Ť

I'm a racer at heart. I'm not to good at reviews. Some of you guys are particularly good at it. However I can right some stuff about the handling of the car, what I like and don't like and what I did to fix it. I'm mostly interested in the lap times and races though. Is the Ferrari event over? When's the race?

The next car we'll be testing will be revealed tomorrow and we'll be running that car (other cars of similiar PP level can usually be used for comparision purposes as well) for Tuesday's races. And all skill levels are welcome! (Heck, they even let me, "Lieutenant Slow" participate. :P ) Of course, you can still test out the Ferrari or other cars that have been chosen in the past and let us know your impressions. :)

Bummer. I'm interested in driving the stock car around some tracks if anyone wants to join me. Probably Sunday night or Monday.

We all win in this challenge...just by taking part, having fun and extending the series. MD started this originally late in GT5, most of us had long "finished" the game, had most/all of the cars and were bored. With the short career mode in GT6 I probably would have shelved it by now and gone on to another series of Codemasters F1, but I am keeping busy and having fun with cotw and waiting for PD to update GT6 with the features promised. You can test cars stock, tuned or both. Occasionally a member will post times at a certain track and others will see how they can compare. If you are into online racing, like Baron said, come out on Tuesday nights. Yes, join in the fun đź‘Ť

Not to take away from the great work that MD has done with CotW, but I believe the credit should go to @Turismo.M.G! for the first CotWs on GT5. :)

@rosckolove, I don't have the time at the moment but I used to enjoy the GT5 CotW. As the others have said its a bit of fun so just do what you like with the car, write a few words, or post a tune and maybe a couple of pics - and the 'winner' is chosen on the whim of @McClarenDesign :lol:.

Congratulations McClarenDesign!

The purpose of CotW was to drive cars that you normally wouldn't get a chance to, or normally wouldn't choose. The leftover stepchildren that didn't make it into the will.

In my opinion, nothing says redheaded stepchild quite like the Cobra R. Is it fast because it's a "R", or is it crap because it's still a Mustang?

2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R!

45325d1333030283-hot-chick-cobra-r-mustang-1-.jpg

Here's your chance to find out. I'm about 4 weeks behind thanks to my hand, but I will still be racing on Tuesday at 10p CST. I'm behind on videos and a ton more, but don't worry, like the Mustang... I'll eventually catch up.

Live-axles for everyone!

I think the most obvious comparison to make is the Boss 302.
Both are track ready, live rear axle using V8 fighters but how much of a difference in performance is there despite the decade old age gap?

As for the R, I might bring back a design I did in GT5, what's the design concept? You'll have to find out for yourself. ;)

I tested the Cobra R and Boss 302 a while back at Suzuka and got this result:

2:19.846 - 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - 5.0L, 443 hp @ 6500 rpm, 380 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1647 kg, 500 pp.
2:22.427 - 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R - 5.4L, 384 hp @ 5600 rpm, 404 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1628 kg, 483 pp.

The best domestic rival of the Cobra R would be the '96 Corvette or '90 ZR-1. The '00 Z06 is faster than the Boss.

2:23.362 - 1996 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport - 5.7L, 330 hp @ 5500 rpm, 342 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1496 kg, 467 pp.
2:24.125 - 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 - 5.7L, 375 hp @ 6000 rpm, 371 ft-lbs @ 5000 rpm, 1600 kg, 475 pp.

Last edited:
Live-axles for everyone!

The 2000 Cobra R had a bespoke independent rear suspension. No live axle there.

I think the most obvious comparison to make is the Boss 302.
Both are track ready, live rear axle using V8 fighters but how much of a difference in performance is there despite the decade old age gap?

Hugely different cars. The Boss 302 was a regular production car. Air conditioning, power seats, radio, etc. The Cobra R was a limited production run of only 300 cars, no A/C, no radio, no sound deadening, not even any rear seats, and a completely bespoke suspension system, with a special independent setup in the rear; the Cobra R even had a Fuel Safe racing fuel cell instead of a normal tank. The Cobra R was only just barely road-legal and definitely not something that you could live with everyday.

Think of the Boss 302 as a normal car that is set up to run well at the occasional DE or autocross. The Cobra R was a race car that could occasionally be driven on the street.

This week's gonna be FUN (not that the 288 GTO wasn't). :)

Last edited:
Funny how the Cobra R would be hard to live with on the street, yet it's much slower than the Boss 302.

A base '96 Corvette is barely slower, and has a full interior with A/C...

Therefore it's pointless to buy a Cobra R in real life except for the novelty factor.

Funny how the Cobra R would be hard to live with on the street, yet it's much slower than the Boss 302.

A base '96 Corvette is barely slower, and has a full interior with A/C...

Therefore it's pointless to buy a Cobra R in real life except for the novelty factor.
So there is a point. :sly:

I just checked the PP of the R against more compatible PP rivals and a familiar name kept showing up, M3.
The M3 Coupe stands around 484PP and the CSL is slightly higher at around 487PP.

Cobra R - 483 pp

Other cars with 483 pp:

'04 Oullim Motors Spirra Prototype
'00 Spoon S2000 Race Car

Cars with 482 pp:

'98 Lotus Esprit V8 GT
'02 Jaguar S-Type R

Cars with 484 pp:

'04 Opera Performance 350Z

The closest BMW competitor pp-wise would be the '01 Z8 with 485 pp.

The '04 M3 is almost identical in lap times with the Cobra R despite having 469 pp.

I tested the Cobra R and Boss 302 a while back at Suzuka and got this result:

2:19.846 - 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - 5.0L, 443 hp @ 6500 rpm, 380 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1647 kg, 500 pp.
2:22.427 - 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R - 5.4L, 384 hp @ 5600 rpm, 404 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1628 kg, 483 pp.
Good job, question for you. Was your time on the Cobra with stock SH tires? I couldn't do crap with those, got a 2:28 somethin' somethin'. Changing only to RH tires I got a 2:18.478. The stock tires seemed to push slightly for me going into the faster corners under braking, the loose rear coming out is the way I like it. The RH tires completely took care of the push entering the corners and mostly took care of the loose off...until I got a bit too confident a few times :) The stock trans was very capable, but I was surprised to find that it seemed a bit tall even for a track the size of Suzuka. Maybe the result of trying to make the car more streatable? I am sure I could take some more time off with a full custom box. One other thing, anyone else slipping off the outside edge of the track in this car? I don't know if the view was just off for me or the car is wider than it seems or what, but on more than a few occasions I would step off the outside edge when setting up for a corner...maybe just because it was a Monday :crazy:

Back