Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Sport Hard, straight from the dealership to Suzuka.

Top speed 144 mph

2:22.427

Sorry for the background noise. The apartment below mine is getting renovated. My floor keeps shaking and I'm a little scared actually.

Last edited:
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra-R

1Gemasolar.jpg

The Darth Vader version.

A perfect example of why I love Mustangs! The Cobra has 365hp/476pp and is a blast to drive. Since we have another American car I decided to try another American track...the Daytona road course.
Daytona Road Course_3.jpg

Now that's some close racing.

I didn't want to mess with tuning this car much since it was so fun just the way it was. So for tuning all I did was switch to some RH tires and install a full custom gearbox.
Daytona road course TT:
stock - 2:07.137
tuned - 1:59.748
Daytona Road Course_6.jpg

That's what I call throwing it into the bus-stop!

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to break the 2:00 mark with the tune. I had worked my way down to a low 2:01 and on my 5th and final lap I was just behind my ghost going down the back stretch. I threw it into the bus-stop and the lap stayed green, I eeked out my best lap, a 1:59.748.
Daytona Road Course_7.jpg

Flyin' through the chicane.

Daytona road course, 5 laps vs pro AI:
stock - P2 / best lap 2:07.287
tuned - P1 / best lap 2:01.534
Daytona Road Course_9.jpg

Love this angle.

In the stock race I lost to a Honda HSC by just under 5 seconds, I never even had a chance at him. With the tuned ride I took P1 from a Challenger R/T coming out of the bus-stop on the 1st lap. I was thinking that maybe someone would work their way through traffic and come up to challenge me (the Aston or NSX?) like the Nardo did last week with the Ferrari, but no such luck. I cruised to the finish in P1 over the Vanquish by 53 seconds!
Daytona Road Course_13.jpg

Checkers at Daytona.

This car is a great drive, very well balanced, which is why I decided against much if any tuning. The stock SH tires did push a bit in fast corners under braking, a set of racing slicks took care of that. I was surprised at how tall the car was geared though. If you barely blip into 5th gear at a big track like Suzuka and never even see 6th at a big, wide fast track like Daytona...then you got too much gear. A full custom 6-speed set to 162 top end worked perfect for Daytona. I saw the red rev light flash, but she never bounced off the limiter. With just a touch of tuning, I am sure she could become a 500pp limit race killer!

Beater or sleeper, pffft, she's a Mustang Cobra and that's all you need to know 👍

Funny how the Cobra R would be hard to live with on the street, yet it's much slower than the Boss 302.

A base '96 Corvette is barely slower, and has a full interior with A/C...

Therefore it's pointless to buy a Cobra R in real life except for the novelty factor.

A '00 Z06 was $6,500 cheaper and 2.4 seconds faster around Big Willow too. The Cobra R was definitely a neat car, but there was only so much that could be done with the old Fox chassis (which dated back to the late 1970s).

The S197 chassis alone is a gigantic jump from the old Fox platform underpinning the Cobra R. I love the Cobra R for what it was, but even a 2011+ GT 5.0 will beat the old Cobra R around a track.

The CotW Gang Chronicles

Chapter 2

"It's the Pope," said Miss Hunnimunni with a smirk as she handed me the phone.
I was caught with my pants down.
Indulging in sampling various truffles, matching chocolate made with cocoa from different plantations - we were preparing to ship 300 pounds of it for a celebrity who was having a small wedding (second time around.)
I mean, how sinful can one get - helping divorcees remarry? And the Pope calls. Great.
I was on my knees at once: "Your holiness!" I gushed. "What a most blessed honour!"
"Signore Rider," greeted the Pope, his voice a mixture of lilt, chant, and squirrelly alertness. "Peace be with you my son."
"Same to you, Sir! I mean - your Holiness."
"Signore, you have been recomended by Cardinal Mazerati. The cardinal informs me I should speak to you." He cleared his throat gently as if about to intone the Oremus. "My officers have been trying to speak on this but I was informed that the signor would only deal directly with the principal buyer." Was it my imagination or was there a hint of menace in the Pope's voice? I shivered.
Miss Hunnimunni had her headpiece on; obviously she could hear all this. I raised my brows in her direction. She inspected her delicate rose-petal pink fingernails, ignoring me as if getting a call from the Pope was an everyday occurrence.
"My apologies, your Holiness, my secretary tends to be overprotective at time."
The Pope sighed, "I have the same problem, my son. It is the price we have to pay."
Turned out with further conversation that the Pope needed a new private jet - my job was to locate one and deliver. As a transport contractor a common enough task but for the person who was playing client today. His Holiness finally released me with a blessing.
"Miss Hunnimunni," I said sternly as I could. "I have to punish you. Pack your over-nighter. We're heading to Rome."
She began tapping her laptop right away booking tickets on the next flight we could catch. She looked pleased.
I was going to have to restrain her.

Mario picked us up at Fiumicino Airport, and nestled in the luxury of the Lambo Estoque he had chosen for the job we were whisked away swiftly away to my Villa in Civitavecchia. Most of my cars at the villa's garage were Italian of course. What else would I drive in Italy?
While half my mind was on the contract handed to me by the Pope, and the coming audience with him to discuss details and pore over specifications, I was thinking of sneaking away for a quick jaunt around the town. I would use one of my GTOs, of course. I had two, one in Jaune Italien, the other disguised in British Racing Green.
I had a third, in a flambouyant custom twin-tone Red , at my California bungalow. In LA. Where else would you drive a Ferrari?

The GTO was my daily driver whenever I visited Italy. This was my go-to car. There's no Ferrari that's more Ferrari to me than the 288 GTO. You can't mistake it for a Lambo. Or a Maserati. Or any other car from a non-italian country. This car screamed FERRARI in caps as soon as you laid eyes on it. It was a Lights! Camera! Action! sort of Ferrari.
It was a little boy's dream car, even before they could read the word 'Ferrari'.
If you wanted a Ferrari in a movie, you throw a 288 GTO in there. It would take on any role.

But, hold on - we're talking about the GTO. Not the GTBs. This particular GTO lived in the shadow of the GTBs because it only looked like another sibling - and that was because of the production factors related to homologation.
So it screamed "Everyday Exotic Sports! Nothing new here!" But actually it was a qualified Gran Turismo Omologato, Group B racing machine. Which never raced officially. In fact the term 288 given to it is unofficial. It is known as the Ferrari GTO. The Ferrari GTO. Underneath was lean, mean racing machine, downsized from the 308's 3 liter, but boosted with ferocious twin turbos that punched you back when they kicked in and turned the car from daily driver to rocket ship. This car's heritage goes a long way back - back to the 250 GTO, from which it borrowed that ducktail, all the way back to the 250 GTO SWB - which, of course, was a legendary monster.
And the even more secret side to it - because of it's relationship to its elder siblings: touring is an absolute pleasure, whether winding down a mountain road or cruising through interstate countryside. This car hugs you as she dances down the highway, leaping, hip-swung as a Hula dancer, ready to pirouette at a moments notice, or run flat out screaming till your ears burn while the needle still climbs.
I suddenly wanted to take a GTO for a spin. Maybe the one disguised in green.
A few espressos later I was off.

Before long I was swinging the car swiftly through the roads of Rome, soaking in the sights and sounds, safely ensconced in the cockpit of the GTO, as I sneaked my way like a shadow through traffic. Only the angry impatient whine of the GTO told me I was floating around in a car as I swiftly fled through the streets, loping along the pavement at a 100 MPH, effortlessly illegal.
And then . . . right before me, flying ahead much faster than me, were three , yes three, red GTOs.

Now this is no common Italia or California you could pick up from a dealer or locate through the Dupont Report. They'd made very few GTOs, enough to satisfy the homologation requirements. What the hell? I thought.
I pursued them. Suddenly I was a PI. Oh! Yes, and I was in the perfect PI's car. Could this be part of the mob? I put my aviators on, hunched myself down in the seat and gave the GTO legs as I trailed them. I was on the trail of the mob. I would catch them. I had a GTO.

And then I remembered - they were in GTOs, too. I raced after them, stomping my steed in the ribs, the beautiful beast bucking under my arms as I wrestled to control the raw power in her. I got close enough to see past the red Ferraris - there were three, yes, three, whitish GTOs racing ahead of the three red.

Jeebus Murphy, I thought, what was going on? Had I got involved in some turf war? Red's against white? They dissappered in a cloud of dust - I just couldn't keep up with them.
Obviously they were not part of the mob. No gangster could handle a GTO like that. Good guys drove GTOs. Bad guys drove other stuff. Black SUVs. Lincolns.

Back at the Villa I rang up Luigi and explained what I saw.
"Make enquiries and report back as soon as you hear something, " I ordered.
"Yes, signore.' Luigi chuckled. He was perpetually amused about something. Don't ask me, I'm still confused.

Italy makes me happy. It's the most sensuous place on earth, heady with fragrances of food and flowers, wine, and cheese. There is always so much screaming here, people yelling at each other, whether love or scolding, everything with an intense passion. Even with my crowdophophia I felt comfortable isolated by my very own staid foreignness. Everybody on the streets seemed to be kissing each other. Bus stops, park-benches, pizzerias, no place was safe from the romance. Came with the Romans, I suppose; they must have been romantic. I promised myself to spend a day in Naples, maybe take Miss Hunnimunni down for a ride and a dish of gelato.

The meeting with the Pope went off well; he turned out to be a really cool fellow in the end. Whether he was Pope or not, I wouldn't have hesitated to have a drink with him. He was a lot more tougher in person than I had seen in occasional media reports, and I heard he was cracking down hard on the mob, as well as the Vatican Bank, and many of his Officers. Good show I thought. I forgave him for being the Pope and decided that I would get him the best jet I could acquire - the kind that would befit a jet-setting Pope.
I wondered, as I left, how much it would cost to hire some of the Swiss Guard. I heard these these guys were good when it came to looking after money.

Luigi was waiting at the Villa when I returned from the meeting.
"What did you find out?'
"Many things, signore," he said and handed me a sheet of paper. It was a neatly detailed report. Apparently these people were a bunch of mixed aristocrats and magnates, ex-racing drivers, a king, a baron, and so on.
They were known to hold races here off and on.
A king, a baron, races? Now my PI instincts were aroused. Where had I come across that same pattern before?
"Thank you, Luigi, " I said dimissing him. I needed to ponder this over a bole of Rum and Maple.

Finally, I called Mack.
"Oh! Hi! Harry. Wassup chum?" he said, sounding busy as usual - like he was on a treadmill watching the 24 Hours of Le mans while dictating some editorial for an Auto magazine.
"Mack," I began "you remember last week when we were at Brands Hatch acquiring those Spits, there were some other guys there . . . a king? A baron?"
"Yup," said Mack, panting slightly. "King Victor of Apexland. He reigns from the UK, doesn't like to live in the country he's king of. There's all kinds of upsets in Apexland and he lets his Minsters take care of it. And the Baron's a Maple Baron. He exports tons of Syrup. We're all in Italy right now."
This last made me gap out for a second.
"Say what? We? Who? What do you mean Italy?" I snarled.
Mack laughed; obviously he liked to bug me. Well, actually, he bugged everybody.
"We're racing Monza this evening," he said. "The usual bunch of us. By which I mean everybody's welcome, because I have organised this event as open to the public, but King Victor, the Baron, Dr. Ryan, Bruno, the usual crowd will be there. We will all be in our GTO's. It's the red against the white. In fact we're half way to Monza . . . we were thrashing Rome this morning."
I was speechless. So that was the crowd of hooligans who had left me in the dust this after noon. Damn! I'm not given to swearing but this was the pits.
Mack was chuckling at the other end. Everybody was bloody well chuckling lately.
"Guess you won't be able to make it this time, huh?" He snickered. "You're probably cosied up with Miss lovely honey on that island of yours."
"Probably," I said tightly. "And it's Miss Hunnimunni, not lovelyhoney."
"Whatever, same thing. So what's up, Harry?"
Monza was it? I was headed right over in my yellow GTO. We'd see who had the last chuckle.
"Ah! just curious," I lied. "I wanted to thank you for putting that deal my way anyway, the Spitfire I mean. Good to own a couple of Spits."
"You're welcome, chum. Okay, see you later. Preparing to race here in about three or four hours. We hope the weather holds up. Thunderclouds are on the way." He rang off abruptly.

"Marioo!" I yelled.
Mario came running like I'd had a heart attack.
"I need to get the yellow GTO ready for racing. I'm leaving for Monza right away."
He nearly had a heart attack; I saw him clutch his chest, crying "Madre de Dios!"
I didn't blame him; Monza was several hours driving, all the way to the north end of Italy.

Why would I give up a drive to Naples in a GTO on a beautiful day like today in the company of Miss Hunnimunni - the most perfect combination of delights that anyone could wish for . . . to go flying pell-mell to Monza to shove myself into a race?
Because this car - this Oh! so perfect car - screams in its stance for a fast jaunt here and there, looking as elegant, quick, and comfortable as a Ferrari sports car would be - but there was quite something else beating in the chest of that beast.
The tattoo of vents on its hauches gives the game away. This was made to be a racing machine. And that was a fact. Yet it never raced.
Would I miss the chance to actually race it? Against a bunch of the same cars? At Monza? With the possibility of rain?

Not even on my quiet little life.

Last edited:
MUSTANG VS. CAMARO
ROUND....UH....10,417?

Honestly in the beginning, I didn't set out for this review to become the latest in a very long line of comparison tests between these two pony cars, many of which were conducted with much bigger testing budgets and written by better compensated writers. And given my known affinity for the Bowtie brand, I went in dedicated to simply focusing on the 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R and giving it a fair shake.

My personal leanings didn't mean I wasn't excited to be testing the Mustang, far from it. On its surface, the car held plenty of promise, packing gobs of power and with the excess weight of extra seats and creature comforts free from its burden. At first, I admit the bulged hood, wide fender flares, and the huge tail that makes a Plymouth Superbird's look almost subdued didn't please my eye. But then the image of a Trans-Am race car popped in my head. Then, it clicked. The styling suddenly made perfect sense. I now saw a rip-roaring track machine that promised a fun session of lapping. I couldn't wait to get it on the asphalt of Grand Valley East.

I wouldn't have to wait long to find myself back off the asphalt however, as the car plowed through the first turn and into the sand trap. I chalked up that initial mistake to me not being familiar with the car, but as the laps started to pile up, so too did it seem the off-track excursions. But what made it so shocking and jarring was that it wasn't due to massive amounts of power oversteer, but frustrating, "I'm having flashbacks of the Acura CL" levels of understeer. Whenever I thought the front end should have been digging in and rotating through a corner, it instead seemed intent on staying its course, even if it was towards a wall.

The Mustang wasn't slow, mind you. Its fastest lap was a 1:14.099, knocking off the '04 Pontiac GTO from last week's comparo from the third spot on the GVE leaderboard. But I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment from it, because I felt disconnected from the car, like we were operating on two sides of a brick wall.

The session was so far from what I expected of it that I began looking at the machine and asking, "What's wrong with this car?", even after posting such a fast time. "Why does a car that looks made to be on the track feel so reluctant on it?"

Then, I looked over my shoulder and saw it. A few bays down was the black 2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS that was one of my favorite "hop in and just have some fun" cars. On first blush, it would seem completely outmatched by the Cobra R, with having less power as well as all the radio and climate control amenities that are shunned by the more spartan Mustang. And of course, I had sworn that this wasn't going to turn into a cliche Mustang vs. Camaro test.

"But it wouldn't hurt to at least look at these cars specs, just for curiosity's sake," I said. And what did I discover? One, the Mustang R has a horrid weight balance, a full 56% of the car's bulk on the front axle, whereas the Camaro (and even the '67 El Camino, for that matter) only task 54% of its mass on its fore. But even more glaring, even with the radio and the heater and the AC ditched, the Mustang Cobra R weighed more than the Camaro SS.

I made my mind up there and then. Before a second thought could creep in my head, I had my helmet back on, was behind the wheel in the Camaro, and out to tackle GVE once again.

Now, I was certain I wouldn't be able to beat the Cobra R's time, and the assumption proved correct. However, I felt like I was going so much faster. Whereas the Mustang seemed ambivalent, almost uncaring of going fast, the Camaro felt like it was having just as much fun as I was, eagerly turning in on corners and encouraging me to go faster every lap.

And the final result? I was indeed going fast, clocking a fast time within a second of the Cobra R at 1:14.950. And I did it in a car that would be easy to use as a daily driver if I desired. And I believe if you spent only a few grand on a sports computer and a new exhaust to erase the horsepower deficit the Camaro cedes to the Mustang, the former would easily be able to outpace the latter while still spending less than half as many credits.

So the Cobra R as a Sleeper? Sorry, but there's less costly alternatives out there. I can hear everyone drum-rolling for me to slap "Beater" on the Ford, but I'm not going to. I still have a healthy respect for the Mustang nameplate, and I appreciate what the SVT group was going for when they put the Cobra R together. So if you're into Mustangs and want one that could pose as a Trans-Am race car, by all means buy it.

Just be prepared to live in fear of being humbled by cars that don't have huge hood bulges or wings the size of an LMP car.

Last edited:
@JackRyanWMU I would click like on your post, but as a Ford guy I just can't, good job on the revue anyway though :) This does mean, of course, that I will have to take the Cobra out to GVE just to see what happens 👍

if you take some time to research the actual Cobra R spring rates and toe settings, the car is much faster than whats portayed as stock by PD. theyre so far off its pathetic.

im not going to pretend the 2000 Cobra R is some magical beast car but it is MUCH more capable than whats presented as stock in this game as well as GT5. it is more than up to the challenge to be competitive at 500PP in gt5 or gt6.

I was lucky enough to join the COTW crew on this week's series of races, and the Cobra was on the menu. Like the GTO, it's a car that proves the driver out to be either a sleeper or a beater. A very capable racer in the right hands, it also demonstrated which tracks I favour, or on the other hand, the ones I need practice on.

I've owned 2 Mustangs in real life, and this one highlights both the joys and the lunch bag let-downs of the famous pony car. It's one of those models you either like or not, for both looks and handling. Glad to have it my virtual garage, but there are other examples of the Stang I'd use first.

This week's racing was one of the best so far, and I hope the spirit will continue in the weeks to come. 3 cheers to our host and all involved, you people bring out the best examples of online racing in my brief experience so far. I just have to watch what "incentives" I give out, as I still have the footprints of the people I joke around with on the backside of my racing suit. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Mustang Cobra R

Like others here I found it a handful at first and spent most of my first lap at Brands Hatch Indy in the gravel.

I did get a bit better and posted a time of 55.792 in the end.

For a bit of race action it was off to Laguna Seca for the Tour of America. I initially wondered if I would have enough PPs but in the end it was a relatively easy win.

(re) passing the Viper for the lead at the second last corner

Plenty of power and torque but not as easy to spin out the rear as I had expected I must say. It is horrifically ugly though and so it was for some paint and wheels to try and add a bit of style.

A bit better

Arty!

I did try round Suzuka as well but only managed 2:31.140

A beater then? On the whole not as it's got power and grip (in the right hands), but not my favourite due to the over the top US muscle styling.

Cheers

went to GVE using the most correct REAL settings i could get for the 2000 Cobra R and turned a 1:13:547 on SH tires. with more time im confident i could drop it further. i only practiced for 4 laps.

2000 Cobra R ground clearance is 1.5" lower in front and 1" lower in rear than a regular Cobra, and their ground clearance is 109mm. GT6 wont let you lower the car to actual settings [ugh] so i used 85/85.

oem springs are eibach, 800lb/in front and 750lb/in rear. unfortunately you cant even get rear spring rates that high in the rear [ way to fail PD], so i used 14.28 F and MAX R [should be 13.39].

dampers are bilstien unts that are non adjustable but for gt6 i used 5/4 F and 3/3 R.

swaybars are stock cobra units but since they also dont readily equate to the game, i used 3/3

i kept camber at 0/0 because its broken in gt6. real camber is -2.5 F and -1.5 R

toe settings are -.1 F and +.1 R

lastly, the stock LSD is completely wrong. the Cobra R used a pump to limit wheelspin via speed and /or torque sensing instead of a traditional cone/clutch/gear setup so thats all wrong too. since that cant be simulated in game, i chose to use 10/13/5 since it gives the least amount of wheelspin midcorner.

i feel the above more accurately portrays the Cobra R, not PD's pathetic are terrible "stock" set up.

Last edited:
I got a 2:22.4 without any tuning, but I also have over 7,000 miles logged on Suzuka according to the Stats screen...

Jaguar XFR also got a 2:22.4 in my hands as well as the R34 V-Spec II Nur.

For anyone interested in my Suzuka time trials, I have tested 427 stock cars. It's a good reference to go by. Spreadsheet 2 is in manufacturer order for comparing within each brand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f93mjs5zztj0q40/GT6 Suzuka Lap Times.xlsx

Last edited:
THE Z4 GT3 STORY

i1nu1Da9skT85EE.jpg

Note: If seen in Italic, those are my opinions on this car.

When PD first announced the appearance of the Z4 GT3 in the game, I felt very happy, I finally get to see my NFS all star car in GT6, well days before I got GT6, when I first checked the price of this car and I said to myself, are you kidding me? 350k only for a GT3 Class car and that led me to pre ordering GT6 to finally experience this BMW GT3 car.

Then, when I told my classmate the appearance of this car in GT for the first time, he can't believe it, he taught that this car will never make it to GT under the hands of NFS and Forza but PD was able to, but he warned me about the understeering of this car plus a tougher cockpit view when racing in blind corners but that never stopped me from buying this car.

So when I finally got my GT6 copy, I went to the dealers to check this beauty, and then I was astonished when I used Gallery View and then the looks of it, its like seeing a beautiful GT3 car. But also checking out it specs, it did follow the right real specs but still i'm warned of its understeering

---------------------------------------------------

PHOTO HERE(later edit)
------------------------------

So after doing and completing races up to GT All Stars, I have 1mil and when I knew i'll face against some supercars like FXX, Huayra, etc, I need a car to beat these guys so that's why I decided to choose the Z4 as a weapon and when I droved it first at High Speed Ring(first round for GT All Stars), when in a banked corner, it handled like a bus but in a banked corner, be careful because this car might knocked over by the AI if they're close to you and planning to do a pit maneuver so if I were you, don't get close to the AI when overtaking in a banked corner like High Speed Ring.

So after completing the first leg of GT All Stars, I went on dominating GT All Stars and winning it plus, unlocking IA League. So when I unlocked IA League, I saw an interesting championship, the GT3 Class Championship, exclusively to the GT3 Class cars in GT6 so once again I took my Z4 and unexpectedly, another Z4 came so the takes away the independence of my Z4 but it's not a problem, some cars also had that problem, so when I started GT3 Championship, my opponents were

1. Nissan NISMO GTR GT3 Base Model
  2. Nissan NISMO GTR GT3 Schulze Motorsports
  3. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG GT3
  4. BMW M3 GT2 Base Model
  5. Nissan NISMO GTR GT3
  6. BMW E92 M3(BMW Motorsport)
  7. BMW Z4 GT3
  8. Nissan GTR N24 Schulze Motorsports
  9. Mercedes Benz SLS AMG GT3
  10. Nissan NISMO GTR GT3 Base Model
  11. BMW M3 GT2 Base Model
  12. BMW M3 GT2 Base Model
  13. Audi R8 LMS ultra(Audi Team Sport Phoenix)
  14. BMW Z4 GT3( thats me)
  15. Audi R8 LMS Team Oreca
  16. Audi R8 LMS Team Playstation
Wow, the Top 10 were fielded with Godzillas, while some of us Germans are some at Top 10 or Below 16.

To Be Continued

The Cobra R is a beater. It is a Mustang, afterall and Mustang never have been cars that handle that well. When you have a big, heavy engine in the front of the car, they are noseheavy and drive like a dumptruck.
Its a typical American car: fast in a straight line, slow through the twisties.

2000 Cobra R ground clearance is 1.5" lower in front and 1" lower in rear than a regular Cobra, and their ground clearance is 109mm. GT6 wont let you lower the car to actual settings [ugh] so i used 85/85.

The specs I've seen give the ground clearance for the Cobra R as 4.4 inches, which is 112mm.

Regardless, using your settings I was no faster than I was with the "stock" settings; both put me in the low 1:20/high 1:19 range at Streets of Willow. The car did not feel appreciably different between the two, if anything, the settings you provided made the car understeer slightly more mid-corner and reduced turn-in. Admittedly, I did post my fastest individual lap with your settings, but the split between that and my laps with stock settings wasn't significant.

There certainly wasn't enough difference in feel or speed between your setup and the stock setup to call the stock setup "terrible," IMO.

EDIT: I spent a lot of time thinking about your settings and realised that, while I was experiencing much more understeer, I was also able to put the power down a bit sooner on corner exit (which mitigated the lower entry speed and was why the lap time delta was insignificant). So I decided to test that. Using the the game's standard settings for the suspension with your differential settings dropped me into the 1:19.5xx range at Streets of Willow consistently with a 1:19.324 best lap. I'm forced to conclude that using the "real" suspension values in the game actually makes the car slower. At least, on the stock Sport Hard tires.

Last edited:
The Cobra R is a beater. It is a Mustang, afterall and Mustang never have been cars that handle that well. When you have a big, heavy engine in the front of the car, they are noseheavy and drive like a dumptruck.
Its a typical American car: fast in a straight line, slow through the twisties.
Only if you don't know how to handle an American muscle car.

X4mZBiu.jpg

No, thank you, I will not go quietly.

Ahh, the year 2000. I was 18, full of optimism about the future and ready to take on the world. The Mustang's Fox platform was 22 and, unlike my teenage self, beginning to feel the heavy hand of time on its shoulder. A redesign in '94 had bought the aging vulpes some time, but by 2000 it was clear that the Fox platform's days were numbered. The addition of a trick independent rear suspension for the '99 Cobras helped, but it was like botox in an aging starlet, everyone knew it was just a stall tactic.

In the midst of all this, Ford dropped the Cobra R into our laps. While some consider the later "Terminator" supercharged Cobra models of '03 and '04 to be the swan song of the Fox platform, I've always felt that the true "last hurrah" for the old girl was this, the 2000 Cobra R, a relatively uncompromising car, built for the track with street use a distant second priority. The prior two Cobra R models, in '93 and '95, had required buyers to present a valid competition license if they wanted to buy one. In 2000, though, Ford offered the Cobra R to the first 300 people who showed up with a check, no competition license necessary.

UBsN3cc.jpg

It's not for everyone, but I still think the style is suitably aggressive.

Planting my right foot firmly against the firewall at the beginning of the pit straight leaves me a bit surprised at the lack of ferocity. Granted, last week I'd been romping about with the Ferrari 288 GTO, but this is a car that is supposed to be able to get to 150 in under 30 seconds, and to 60 in under 5 seconds. A quick trip to run some rough tests shows that, yes, she's hitting those numbers just fine, but for some reason the gears just feel taller than they are.

The first corner, the kink in the main straight, introduces me to a heaping portion of understeer. That big 5.4 provides thrust (even if it doesn't necessarily feel like it, the stopwatch doesn't lie), but it's still a cast-iron block so it also provides plenty of weight. Weight that doesn't like to change direction. While that's a benefit to stability under braking, it doesn't do any favors for turn-in and I'm left feeling as though I need to apologize to the front tires after my session.

At the end of the afternoon, I've managed a 1:20.018, which is just barely less than 2 seconds slower than I can lap the course in a 2013 Boss 302.

sunoTpw.jpg

Sooner or later we're all upstaged by a younger counterpart...

14 years of technological advances and a clean-sheet chassis redesign, even with a live axle, are more than a match for the the Cobra R's laser-focused-but-ancient platform. The Boss 302's 60 extra horsepower certainly don't hurt it either. Progress is a beautiful thing.

WteJ4Fn.jpg

I love the smell of Nürburg Castle in the morning.

Of course, just because a car is slower than its newer brother doesn't mean it's not fun. And when the track opens up a bit more than the tight corners of Streets of Willow the Cobra R manages to find a way to make it endearing. Unlikely as it may seem, putting the Cobra R through its paces on the Nordschleife is pure fun. The noticeable push is still there, but on the 'Ring's sweepers it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue and the car's stability means that it won't kill you if you overcook things a little.

JpOcQV6.jpg

Getting a good run out of Aremburg always feels glorious, especially on a clear morning.

I was even having enough fun that I organized an impromptu race. Sure, my competition wasn't the brightest lot (they all claimed to be related to someone called "B-Spec Bob," which seemed odd to me), but they claimed to be professionals and the cars they brought to the table weren't exactly junk. Truth be told, I wasn't expecting to come out on top, especially with a couple of hot NSX variants in play given that I'd been faster around Streets with the NSX than I'd been with the Cobra R.

3I0Eun3.jpg

Coming out of Breidscheid with that pesky NSX behind me.

Of course, expectations are often different from reality and the race saw me reeling in the lead NSX LM prototype on the last lap and passing him on the outside of Dreifach Rechts, just before Wehrseifen. Not bad for an old war horse.

The 2000 Cobra R is a difficult car to categorize. Despite Ford pulling out all the stops, the car remains deeply flawed. No amount of suspension trickery can hide that cast-iron lump hanging out over the front axle and even after a diet that saw the deletion of everything from the radio to the A/C and even the rear seats her weight is still more Clydesdale than Thoroughbred. Of course, the fact that a car is deeply flawed has never stopped me from loving it (the Ruf CTR seems to actively want me dead, yet I keep coming back for more) and there's something about the Cobra R that gets me.

Still, with that rear wing and the removable front splitter's Dzus fasteners there's no way anyone could truthfully call this car a "sleeper." Yet, it's not nearly incompetent enough on a racetrack to be categorized as a "beater" either. Perhaps it's best to leave it as a swansong. Ford's ultimate goodbye and thank-you to the platform which rescued them from the ignominy of the "Mustang II." The supercharged Cobras of '03 and '04 may have been faster, but, to me, the 2000 Cobra R will always be more clearly the result of a manufacturer's love.

yDBHSkA.jpg

Old racecars never die, they just fade away...

Specs:

Displacement: 5,409 cc
Power: 384 hp @5,600 RPM
Torque: 404 ft-lbs @ 4,500 RPM
Weight: 3,589 pounds

Top Speed: 184 mph (as measured at la Sarthe, without chicanes, just barely flashed 184 before I had to hit the brakes)

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/1XOyI/all

Last edited:
I gotta admit, this car makes me nostalgic. One of my first die cast cars, back when I was a baby, was a yellow Mustang, similar to this week's COTW.

Anyways, this Cobra R has the looks of a race car, due to the large bumper, enormous hood scoop and the questionable looks rear wing. In other words, the kind of car you wouldn't want to see in the rear view mirror during a race. That being said, lets take it to the track, but before, lets get rid of that ugly wing and paint it in a different color.

To test it, Streets of Willow seems fitting enough, the Cobra-R should feel at home, right?

Willow+Springs+International+Raceway+-+Streets+Of+Willow+Springs_9.jpg

With all that horsepower going to the rear tires, teamed with a live axle, it seemed obvious that it would be oversteering all over the place, trying to kill the driver every time the throttle is pressed, but surprisingly, it understeered a lot on corner entry, and the oversteer was very controllable, really fun to toss it around the corners.

Willow+Springs+International+Raceway+-+Streets+Of+Willow+Springs_6.jpg

But to be honest, I did not spend too much time on the circuit. Instead, I did a lot of what this car is meant to do:

Willow+Springs+International+Raceway+-+Streets+Of+Willow+Springs_11.jpg

Good old burnouts. I like it that in GT6 you can make burnouts a lot easier than in GT5.

Ok, to wrap up this very short review, I'll have to call it a beater. It passes a certain image, and somehow it doesn't live up to it. The understeer is pretty annoying, and the overall handling isn't amazing, but it is actually fun to toss it around and powerslide it a bit. It is great for spirited driving...

Willow+Springs+International+Raceway+-+Streets+Of+Willow+Springs_14.jpg

... and VERY good for burnouts.

G'day everybody,

I've been having a hard time with my laptop lately (power problems) so forgive my late response. On Tuesday last, I was online at the regular COTW race time, and saw Mc as well. He eluded to having computer problems, but didn't really explain further. What I did see, he was driving a SRT4, so MAYBE, this might have been the latest COTW car.

So, in fear of overstepping my bounds, I would suggest we all show up in SRT4's and show our support on Tuesday at the regular time in the hope of getting some good racing in. I certainly miss it, as I know we all do.

@McClarenDesign, please don't be mad, I'm just trying to offer my support in my own way.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay, everyone. I caught a virus that forced me to rebuild my home network a few times just to contain it, then got sick, plus have been still struggling with carpal tunnel. Needless to say, NO BUENO!

I'm back, I think. I didn't want to infect anyone here or at Sauber F1, so I just went silent as a precaution. This was my first major attack that I've dealt with, but thankfully I got a little indirect help from the NSA.

Sorry about the delay, everyone. I caught a virus that forced me to rebuild my home network a few times just to contain it, then got sick, plus have been still struggling with carpal tunnel. Needless to say, NO BUENO!

I'm back, I think. I didn't want to infect anyone here or at Sauber F1, so I just went silent as a precaution. This was my first major attack that I've dealt with, but thankfully I got a little indirect help from the NSA.

Congratulations xblitzgreigx!

im not going to pretend the 2000 Cobra R is some magical beast car but it is MUCH more capable than whats presented as stock in this game as well as GT5. it is more than up to the challenge to be competitive at 500PP in gt5 or gt6.

Fair enough. What say you?

This week's Car of the Week...
2003 SRT SRT4!

22.jpg

No, I said "Car of the Week"... You have to pick a car, not a toy.

I dont think that very fair to say considering some of the best fwd cars are based on a very basic chassis. The ITR and all its versions are based on simple platforms. The civic R is based on one of the most common vehicles on the planet.

The SRT4 has no direct competition in the fwd segment. It dominates its classes and has racked up multiple wins in its classes, especially road course racing. The ACR version was very formidable even stock.

If this has to do with what wheels drive the car then perhaps some rules should have been given to me.

It's not that it's FWD, it's that it's Dodge/Chrysler (not SRT... how ridiculous) and it's still a NEON. Not my cup of tea.

But this isn't my cup of car, either. I've proven you can drift a Neon... thankfully without a repair bill afterwards... so lets see what you think.

It's good to have you back @McClarenDesign , we missed ya. :lol:👍

Now to the SRT4, a sports version of a crappy car. :crazy:

If you told me that in GT5 that the SRT4 could make over 600hp, I would've said you need to lay off the strong cheese at night.

Oh how wrong was I to believe it couldn't. :bowdown:

In GT6, it's not as powerful at around ONLY 560hp, but the 70% Nos covers that loss. Is any of it usable? Only on race tyres and even then it still spins up. :eek:

But to get to the answer of the question of it being a sleeper or not, it's a yes and no.:dunce:

Yes: due to the insane for a FF drive power potential and unassuming looks.
No: not practical for anything under race tyres at full power.

My official verdict? Sleeper but not by much.

You have no idea how happy I am that the thread is revived and everyone is okay. This is the only reason I visit GTP anymore lol.

The hoodscoop and huge wing ruin the sleeper effect. If I had one, it would get the regular Neon hood and no wing. Could you imagine getting whooped by that?

I thought it would be fun to compare it with the DC5 Integra Type R of the same year, both stock on Sport Hard at Suzuka! The Dodge carries 400 more lbs than the Honda, most of it up front where you don't want it. That torque, though...

2:26.859 - 2003 Honda Integra Type R - 2.0L, 216 hp @ 8900 rpm, 152 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm, 1170 kg, 419 pp.
2:28.509 - 2003 SRT SRT4 - 2.4L, 228 hp @ 5400 rpm, 251 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm, 1350 kg, 428 pp.

Last edited:
Abit of bad(or good for others :lol:)news. I won't be able make it to the SRT4 shoot out this week due to a week long course I'm taking.

Next week however.... :mischievous: ;)

G59L9HQ.jpg

Hi

It's deja-vu all over again. Perhaps the only car that shouts "high school" to me more loudly than last week's fox-platform Mustangs is the Dodge/Plymouth Neon. The first-generation Neon showed up in early '94, two years before I made my appearance at the local high school. By my Junior year, however, hand-me-down Neons were showing up in the student parking lot in decent numbers. Chrysler's replacement for the captive import Colt and the lackluster Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance twins sold well, but mostly because it was cheap.

Sure, road tests praised the Neon's handling, and the straight-line performance offered by the basic model's 150-hp engine, which was a lot for a small car at the time. Unfortunately the reviews also pointed out that the inside of a Neon was not a terribly pleasant place to be. The engine was buzzy and harsh. The doors had disconcerting rattles when they closed. The whole car gave the distinct impression of having been built down to a price. The best evidence of this was perhaps what happened when a buyer ticked the "power windows" check box on the option list. That buyer would be coddled with the luxurious power operation of the front windows, and only the front windows. The rear windows were stuck with hand cranks and there was nothing you could do about it.

Once the trim fell off though, the rest of the car held up pretty well and the Neon kept up a significant presence in high-school and college student parking areas.

xbGa9TE.jpg

It did well in SCCA spec classes too.

With this general background coloring my thoughts, I got the call to take a 2003 Neon SRT-4 out for a spin. Dyno numbers suggested that this particular example was running the later '04 and '05 engine with an extra 15 horsepower, but I wasn't about to complain. Especially since that meant it had the '04+ limited slip differential as well.

mzf9xYZ.jpg

The LSD lets the little Dodge pull pretty hard coming out of corners.

Taking the car around Streets of Willow - my go-to track for shaking down a car due to decades of avidly reading Road & Track back before it sold out and moved from Newport Beach, CA to Ann Arbor, MI - I'm immediately surprised by the way the SRT-4 demonstrates shockingly sharp turn-in. Yes, it's still FWD and yes, if you're hard on the binders when you dial in the steering input you can still induce some truly epic understeer, but even on the stock comfort soft tires it tucks neatly into Turn 1, the kink on the long straight. Even the Cobra R didn't manage that.

4BxdGLv.jpg

Of course, the Cobra R was going a wee bit faster through the kink than the SRT-4 could manage...

Throughout the track, the Neon is surprisingly planted. I remember road tests of the time praising its track manners and it seems they were spot-on. Accelerating out of Turn 4, often tricky, is a simple matter and getting a good run out of The Fishbowl is child's play. Even the often-unsettling 9-10-11 complex is shrugged off without drama.

KM3QCkn.jpg

That's about as aggressive as it can get in Turn 11.

Even putting the power down at the entrance to the pit straight isn't difficult. Where a car like the Focus RS seems to really want to spin its inside wheel the Neon just calmly pulls itself through. When I finally stop and look at the lap times though, I'm a bit shocked at how slow they actually are. My best lap is only a 1:23.870. Even swapping over to Sport Hard tires for parity with the Focus RS yields only a 1:21.449 to the Ford's 1:19.509.

YBxN9NK.jpg

Good form.

Of course, just because the SRT-4 feels faster than it is doesn't mean it's not a damn quick little car. On a track it's damn fun, and it definitely has the chops to make average drivers look good, which is high praise indeed.

Of course, off the track it's still a Neon. Whereas the Cobra R at least looked aggressive, the SRT-4 can't escape it's heritage as the car that was introduced with the rather cutesy marketing tagline of "Hi." The useless rear wing and non-functional hood scoop, far from making the car look aggressive, simply make it look like someone used a Sharpie to add angry eyebrows to a Kewpie doll. Discordant, yes, but not aggressive.

MYgicQT.jpg

Stop laughing! I'm aggressive! Really! I mean it! My mom said so!

At the end of the day, I may love the way the Neon drives on a track but I just can't make myself want the car. The chassis is good, very good, and the engine is impressive, but, well, it's ugly. For better or worse, I can't get past that.

For the first time, I'm going to call a car a beater. Not because the performance is bad, but because a car like the SRT-4 is only good for one thing: Taking it to a track and beating the crap out of it. Scuff up a fender getting a little too close to the wall coming out of a turn? Who cares? It's a Neon. Another car biffs a corner and ploughs into you? Who cares? You're driving a Neon. It's the perfect car for all-out track beating.

Specs:

Displacement: 2,429 cc
Power: 228 hp @5,400 RPM
Torque: 251 ft-lbs @ 4,500 RPM
Weight: 2,976 pounds

Top Speed: 145 mph (as measured at la Sarthe, without chicanes)

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/F9Z0Y/all

Last edited:
Back