Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Here is my google search effort:

Quite clearly a lady posing next to the car as requested.

am0841_zpsee5yosku.jpg

This lady on the right is clearly interested in this weeks CoTW
899965.jpg

Awaiting @McClarenDesign to move the goal posts.

Not Bondable...

v4hYNjr.jpg

Last week we took a look at the 1998 Lotus Esprit V8 GT! An updated version of the original Italdesign Esprit, it received a 3.5 litre twin turbo'd V8 in 1996. Here in GT6, the engine produces 350hp before the oil change.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/112_9611_lotus_esprit_v8/

qwgLG9i.jpg

So I took mine out to the Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit, figuring that an English car deserves to be showcased on an English track. This Professional level race brought a variety of cars, but seemingly none to offer any serious competition. After the oil change, my Calypso Red Esprit boasted a healthy 489pp, 370hp with 310 ft-lbs of torque in a fairly slim 1,325kg body. All in all, it pretty well smoked the competition, including one of our former COTW picks...

frYhVXI.jpg

I found the handling to be more than just adequate, but not as sharp as the HC version. It's still capable after getting used to it, but there are better handling MR cars out there. I have always been a fan of the Esprit, so I am kind of biased... it is a Lotus, famous for its handling. However it doesn't really deserve a Sleeper status but it's no where close to a Beater either. It is a good car, but go with either the newer '02 or the '87 HC model to get a real sense of why I liked this model.

SZRyyja.jpg

Cheers

One less car on the grid tonight, though I will contribute more to this weeks car. I will drive the wheels off this thing exlusively for the remainder of the week. With the lack of rear grip that wont be hard to do.

ASTONomical DisadVANTAGE

r4ZWZRg.jpg

Well, England wound up to be a really nice place... so much so, we decided to stay for another week. This week we were given the opportunity to drive another Bondesque car in the form of an Aston Martin. I heard the name and I was like: Oooh... DB series?!? Grabbing my jacket, I rushed out to the hotel lobby to see... a 1999 V8 Vantage. Oh boy, we went from one extreme to the other. In my mind, English cars are either light and fast or ridiculously big and heavy, and probably with wood trim inside... I hate that!!! If I wanted wood inside anything, it would a bedroom or a living room. Oh well, it will probably sound good at the very least. Off to Brands Hatch we go!

2mOFQuF.jpg

Thankfully, this was an all expenses paid trip... as with all bigger cars, the saying "Speed goes up, Gas goes down" applies. After forgetting which side the gas cap was several times, I was getting pretty good at doing 10 point turns in this thing. Turning on a dime was a phrase that was obviously omitted in the brochure for the car. I could hear Arnie saying "Pump you Up" every gas station we visited let alone how my arms felt turning the steering wheel in a car weighing 2 tonnes! So after the obligatory run down from the track officials, we were off.

RBwKdJi.jpg

I must admit I was rather disappointed not seeing a member of the royal family around. This thing deserves to have a bottle of champagne smashed against it and christened the HMS V8 Vantage! Yipes this thing steers like a ferry and is big enough to carry other cars inside. And of course, eventually ships get beached. Brands has enough sand for that, and like playing golf, I always find some. Sure its got power, 570 ponies from a twin supercharged engine to get its fat bottomed girl body going, but the carrier for the space shuttle has a better turning radius! Gotta give credit to those who can actually handle this thing.

tG0vkzL.jpg

Sure it's fast, you expect that from an Aston Martin. But for 448 grand, this was a huge disappointment. Are people supposed to pay by the pound for a grand tourer??? Cause that's how it felt to me. Having to give braking distances longer than most 5 tonne trucks in a car that plants you in the seat from the torque is unacceptable in my mind. Most Astons are heavy, but this takes the cake... and the bakery. And all the people in it. I have to say, it's an ugly pig of a car that's way too expensive to justify how it performs. So far, this is the Beater of 2015 until proven otherwise.

So the question is: What's next???

Cheers

It's kinda weird that after 1999, when the Virage/Vantage cars were the flagship Aston Martin cars, 2005 saw the Vantage name given to their entry-level "baby" Aston, and then the Virage name given to a 2011 model that was supposed to slot in between the DB9 and DBS, but wasn't distinguishable enough from the both of them. Pretty interesting. I'd much prefer the "baby" Vantage over this GT brute, however.

Extra: It's also very cool that because the 2011 Virage was supposed to sit in between the DB9 and DBS, that it also has middle-of-the-ground power between the 3 cars (470, 490, and 510hp respectively).

Now I'm going to start off by saying this, the V8 Vantage is a beater.

Now I'm going to say it's not all that bad. :odd:

For starters, it's got the firepower to deal with the bulky curb weight, 570hp to be exact.

I said last night that this was essentially a Rolls Royce with a pair of superchargers bolted to it and I stand by that as over the curbs it didn't even flinch.

Of course, physics can be a cruel mistress, the big girl can run but nothing short of a cruise missile is gonna slow it down on a dime. :lol:

It was way out of its depth on the track, it's more suited to cruise in comfort for mile after mile and at the drop of a hat, could outrun most perfomance cars of its time.

It's a beater when it comes to racing it stock, no question about it, but unlike last years coveted turd king, you CAN still have fun with it. :P

I mean lots of GT5 drifters who made this car see the top of the leaderboard quite regularly can't be wrong. :D

Has to be a hooker, lol. Or Julia Roberts.

Yeah, b..bu..but you didn't rule out bad photoshops.

aston-julia2_zpsotlhz6iv.jpg

aston-julia1_zps2oodf92y.jpg

Performance wise on a track, this car is a hideous beater. A previous CoTW, the Jaguar XKR, is just as fast around a track yet around 30pp lower. Obvious flaws aside, I do enjoy driving this car a lot though because of what it requires from the driver, you really do have to obey the "Slow in, fast out" rule to get anything from it which includes tentative use of the brakes and throttle. It's a challenge and a driver's car, getting a good exit out of this thing feels rewarding, while also giving you the choice to pull off some meaty powerslides and lay down long, smokey burnouts at the startline or out of slow corners.

This car can be tuned to handle much better, I already had it set up for some PP racing in the past. After taking over half a ton of weight away and fitting some stiffer suspension, it still won't handle amongst the best, but it can be reasonably competitive and the big, torquey engine propels it into the next braking zone easily.

But we're here to compare it's stock performance, which is... well terrible. You could pick any car as low as 480pp and I still can't think of one that would end up losing to this heavy, wide brute on most tracks. 100% cruiser, 0% track day car.

Last edited:
Should I suggest you pay attention to Q branch and the toys they lend out??? ;) :lol:

Bond never paid attention. Except to Q's sandwich. ;)

Talking about the Lotus . . . yes. There is only one Lotus to me. The Lotus. The everyday common-or-garden Lotus that almost every little boy growing up that saw a Bond movie in which a white wedge-shaped car diving into the water and while snuggled down in the deeps takes out a chopper . . . knows about.
There is no . . other . . Lotus.
The rest are all wannabes, has-beens, and never-will-be's.

The most famous Lotus of all has always been, and will always be - the Lotus. Esprit.

Every color that came up in GT4 was snapped up.
Every Lotus was plucked in GT5.
And once I fired up the GT6 boilers and got that furnace going, among the first cars to fill up the garage was the Lotus.
All of the Lotuses.
First. (You know which one I'm talking about, right?)
Then the other wannabes were allowed in.

One day - in some version of Gran Turismo - the Lotus will finally be simulated. Missiles, underwater driving . . er . . subbing, and all.

Until that day I'll have to make do with these poor substitutions that can only be driven on the road.

Beater till the missiles are fixed.

I missed the races completely - so the above will have to do as my Lotus review. 👍

Here's what I learned this week; First, not only is it a Beater, but there's absolutely no reason to buy the V8 Vantage. If you want a powerful, heavy Aston, you might as well just buy the '06 DB9.

Granted, 100 horsepower is a lot to give up, but for almost half the cost of the Vantage you get a lighter, better handling car that still has tons of hoonability when you feel like smoking the tires on the exit of a turn. And you get a better looking car as well, both in the DB9's styling and in its full premium glory, unlike the "took the source code straight from GT4" looks of the Vantage. So while the DB9 is one PP below the Vantage, it's miles ahead in every respect except sheer power.

Second thing I learned this week.....there are few things more scary than a big pink SUV filling up your mirrors. :eek:

Finally, while we're still on the topic of James Bond, here's the V8 Vantage that I wish was in the game.

Any one take the V8 Vantage to the Ascari seasonal yet?

Stage 3 weight reduction and to Ascari I went. Resulted in a 5th place finish 12.236 behind the One-77 and a total time of 12:15.297. I can definitely do better and I know a few of you guys can pull this one off with a W. Could be a good story to go along with this one too. Maybe it really can be a sleeper.

I have lost the sense of the goal of this thread a long while ago. Why are cars like the V8 Vantage being reviewed, even though they can't ever be sleepers?

I have lost the sense of the goal of this thread a long while ago. Why are cars like the V8 Vantage being reviewed, even though they can't ever be sleepers?

"They can't ever be sleepers"? I care to disagree with that notion. If one tunes an Aston well, heck if one tunes most cars well, any car could be a sleeper. What we do here is pick a car, any car, and find if it can be a good car without modifications. Sometimes most just want to see if that car is good for racing against the other people who visit this thread and know the key ideas behind it. Our objective here is to enjoy driving and reviewing these cars. And if some can't ever be sleepers, then we check other cars for that.

It's that's simple. If these ideas are too hard to grasp for you, then please don't come back here and write such poorly thought out "arguments". Because quite frankly, I am getting sick and tired of these so-called " wise arguments" that aren't wise at all, because all they bring is nonsensical arguing without any thinking.

Last edited:

One man's beater is another man's sleeper. While the Ferrari GTO doesn't sound like either, it's not that great at grocery runs. Hence why the Alfa Romeo beat it for Car of the Year.

Go back and read from the beginning. No car is safe from our grasp.

Stage 3 weight reduction and to Ascari I went. Resulted in a 5th place finish 12.236 behind the One-77 and a total time of 12:15.297. I can definitely do better and I know a few of you guys can pull this one off with a W. Could be a good story to go along with this one too. Maybe it really can be a sleeper.

I tried it stock and came in 8th or 9th... can't remember tbh. But maybe with all the possible weight that can be off to be taken off??? Interesting thought... I usually hate doing permanent upgrades, but in this case, since I would probably never use it again it sounds like an excuse not to let it covered in too much dust lol... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! :cool:

If it deserves to be in the game, it deserves to be driven at least once... and since you would give it a personal review anyways (I like it or I hate it), why not do it here in a car review thread??? And if you're brave enough, take that car out on COTW Tuesdays and see how it and you stack up against some good people doing the same thing!

Cheers

Now I'm going to start off by saying this, the V8 Vantage is a beater.

I was surprised how much of a beater it was when I first drove it - way back in another GT of course. I did like it in GT4 after a tune-up. I expected more from it when I first drove it stock. Then I realised I was expecting all the wrong things. There was no Bond girl in this car. It was built for ladies far more ladylike than yon average butt-kicking, gun-toting, lip-smacking Bond girl. More for the modern Eliza Doolittle - the kind you'd take for a picnic out in the country.

Now I'm going to say it's not all that bad. :odd:

I said last night that this was essentially a Rolls Royce with a pair of superchargers bolted to it and I stand by that as over the curbs it didn't even flinch.

It was way out of its depth on the track, it's more suited to cruise in comfort for mile after mile and at the drop of a hat, could outrun most perfomance cars of its time.

It's a beater when it comes to racing it stock, no question about it................. :P

All very valid. A beater when it comes to racing, but a sleeper in terms of luxury. With power to spare.

Second thing I learned this week.....there are few things more scary than a big pink SUV filling up your mirrors. :eek:

:scared:

:lol: I obviously missed out on the usual fun.

Do you mean:

"Why are cars like the V8 Vantage being reviewed, even though they can't ever be (but) sleepers?"

Trying to understand the context of your post - was the 'but' dropped? If so that is a whole different idea - in fact an opposing concept.

One man's beater is another man's sleeper.

Repeated many times in here.

Go back and read from the beginning.

Echo, echo . . . echo . . . :)

While the Ferrari GTO doesn't sound like either, it's not that great at grocery runs. Hence why the Alfa Romeo beat it for Car of the Year.

When it comes to being a sleeper - not many know that the Ferrari GTO is a car that outperforms whatever you can imagine about it.
It is a dream car that defies imagination, and we more than realised that when we put it through its paces, stock.

However, when it came to sheer blinding 'sleeper'-ness - the Alfa is a car that performs (quite shockingly) well - and that is eye-opening. And made it a winner.

Can't do full length reviews, but I'll simply say I didn't like the Vantage very much. I like to be engaged with my cars, and know what every part of the car is doing. The Vantage feels..disconnected. Maybe that was the point. I do not like the understeer, I do not like the weight, and I'm split 50/50 on the looks.

However, I then took the Vantage to a highway (SSR7) and realized the engine is pretty alright. A giant V8 with twin superchargers gives it plenty of pull, all the way to a decent 200mph. The best thing is I didn't have to stay on the throttle to maintain the speed, so the engine is alright in my book.

It's a decent GT car, but by no means a sleeper.

Here we go...

sMYyhXi.jpg

My first attempt had a Zonda as the lead rabbit, and I placed 2nd with about 7 seconds behind that car... but this race was the next that popped up, so was kind of pleased with the result.

Cheers

Yeah, b..bu..but you didn't rule out bad photoshops.

aston-julia2_zpsotlhz6iv.jpg

Congratulations Lewis_Hamilton_!

Why thank you sir.

It's already showed it's face at the track, I haven't seen it used online at all and it has more potential than you'd think. My choice is...

audi-pikes-peak-quattro-photo-208366-s-429x262.jpg

...the 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro!!!

I'd say that fat-bottomed girls make the rockin' world go 'round, but apparently a PSA was released today...

15%2B-%2B1

By the way, Lewis... you owe us another hooker photoshop.

I'd like to suggest the '83 lancer ic ex turbo. Tune it at 500pp and it will basically beat any car that is thrown at it. Its rather funny to beat a G-Sports FT-86 in a way cheaper sleeper looking car. ;)

Audi Pikes Peak Quattro '03
4.2L
499 hp / 6,000 rpm
465 ft-lb / 2,000 rpm
1,900 kg (4,189 lbs)
503 pp

118.8 hp/L
8.4 lbs/hp
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Suzuka Circuit, on Sport Hard tires, it's capable of sub-2:20 lap times, and easily 2:18 with a wheel.

Cars within half a second of the Audi:

2:18.822 - 481 - 2002 Lotus Esprit V8
2:18.826 - 505 - 2003 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
2:18.843 - 507 - 1999 SRT Viper GTS
2:18.888 - 500 - 1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R R-Tune (R34)
2:18.998 - 493 - 1986 RUF BTR
2:19.147 - 496 - 1997 TVR Cerbera Speed 6
2:19.200 - 501 - 2007 Lexus IS F
2:19.238 - 503 - 2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro
2:19.319 - 481 - 1976 Ferrari 512 BB
2:19.356 - 501 - 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2:19.431 - 511 - 2010 Jaguar XKR Coupe
2:19.513 - 488 - 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
2:19.575 - 505 - 2006 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
2:19.577 - 483 - 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra Prototype
2:19.641 - 463 - 1992 Honda NSX Type R
2:19.651 - 470 - 2000 RUF 3400S
2:19.654 - 478 - 1998 Lotus Esprit V8 SE
2:19.676 - 518 - 2008 Audi RS 6 Avant
2:19.696 - 546 - 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG (R230)
2:19.705 - 491 - Gran Turismo 350Z RS

TOTAL SLEEPER. It's not even funny how much of a sleeper this car, I mean SUV, is. Are you kidding me?! It's as quick as the Lexus IS F and Mustang Boss 302!

Will test tomorrow at Laguna Seca on CH tires to see how it does there!

Last edited:
Back