Beater or Sleeper? COTW Forza 7 Week:END The Ultimate Sleeper, The Holden Sandman! Thanks Everyone!!

Forza Motorsport 7 12_10_2017 10_25_28 PM.png

Originally designed as a more civilized and stylish middle ground for the working man, coupe utility vehicles have been a mainstay of Australia. The idea supposedly came about after a farmers wife sent a letter to Ford asking for "a car we can drive to church on Sunday and use to haul the pigs to the market on Monday". When the piece of paper finally landed on the desk of one Lewis Brandt he went to work on what Ford would later claim to be the first production ute. Unlike the pickups of the time Brandts model integrated the bed of the truck into the paneling of the cabin, still giving it the styling of the Model 40 coupe the car was based on. The end result went on sale some time in 1934 and sold well enough.

View media item 36957She'll be coming down the mountain.

Now 80 some years later here we are with the latest and mostly last offering from Ford's FPV division. With a production run of 120 cars the Pursuit Ute is very limited indeed. But what does this special edition get you? Not much beyond some stylish accessories and a few go faster stripes. The 5-liter supercharged V8 is lifted from the GS model untouched, meaning it's 422 horses are rather outshined by its sedan counterpart. While an impressive figure in its own right, this little monster still weights in at almost 1800 kilos. For everyday use this wont be a problem. On track however you start to notice as soon as you spot your first corner. The brakes have a hard time getting all the mass of the car stopped in the first place, and then if you're not careful on the throttle all the torque will sent sideways into the side of the mountain. Yet that is kind of where the joy in this car lies though. No pretense is made about being some lap time shredding track weapon. It just takes you (and whatever you're carrying) where you have to go and it can get you there fast, just make sure you have fun whilst doing so.

There is just one small problem though.
View media item 36958You've been thunderstruck!

Enter the Maloo, another limited edition though this time by rival company HSV. A quick game of top trumps reveals the biggest problems. Powered by a 6.2-liter V8 this beast makes 576 HP, making the Ford look rather civilized by comparison. While it still has the same weight related issues it will still run circles around the Ford when it gets to the track. The fun factor remains as well, so the only area where it loses out on to Pursuit would be styling, if you don't mind your car looking like Batman sidekick.
View media item 36955
While neither car impressed me much initially I do think there is enough there to warrant a Sleeper rating. Even in stock form there is plenty of fun to be had, and given Forza's upgrade shenanigans there is plenty of potential in both cars for whatever you might want from them.

View media item 36953Just don't end up like I did.

Quite close times this week, a few tenths between second and third in the Ute and a little over 2 tenths in the Type 35.

So the standings..

The Ute at Bathurst

Vic reign: 2:29.441
@VICGT1970: 2:31.264
@Drex124: 2:31.474

And the Bugatti at the Bugatti layout

Vic Reign: 2:13.604
@VICGT1970: 2:13.895

So on to this weeks pick.

Congratulations @Rinsky!!!

As a GT6 COTW newcomer (and hopefully FM7 COTW too :P) I figured you should get a taste of the COTW life on this side of the console wars. :D

You actually mentioned 3 cars and then left it to me to pick from them, So I’ve got 2 in reserve in case of a rainy day. :lol:

I’ve decided on option 3 of your picks which was...

8CFF49FC-7B7A-479E-B459-7B5BEFCEF2D7.png

The 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX!!!

Oh boy, The Eclipse is back in a COTW event, last time this happened in GT6 it got absolutely butchered in the reviews and was our first GT6 Beater Of The Year due to the appalling understeer.

In fairness, that was the front wheel drive version whereas this is 4wd so maybe things could be better. :P

And the track this we... Wait hold up.

We have another Eclipse here, we only need the one.

Huh, it’s saying it’s the Eclipse’s American twin.

4014C86E-3E8A-4D07-8A4D-D4E0D7732811.png

The 1998 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo has joined the battle!!!

(I’ve added the Talon in myself, Rinsky didn’t pick this.)

The Eagle Talon was also on GT6, but we haven’t driven it on there and going by its stats, it didn’t even have a turbo, let alone 4wd, now on the other hand...

It Looks like we got a Duel Of The Week this time folks. :D

Both have 4wd, both have 2.0 litre 4 cylinder Turbo engines making 210hp and 214 lbs-ft of torque and there’s only 1 pound weight difference between them on the spec list.

But the Talon is over 30PI lower than the Eclipse so the question this week is, which is correct? The spec list which shows both these cars as pretty much identical or do the PI numbers show that the stats don’t tell the full story??

It’s a DSM showdown for this week and it’s taking place at Homestead Miami Speedway on its Road Circuit layout in the dry. 👍

Best of luck Gentleman :cheers:

The cars are identical IRL, so the different ratings are just a T10 oversight.

You are 100% correct. They are the exact same car both built on the same assembly line. Only difference is the front and rear bumpers and spoiler on the hatch. The GSX & TSI have the 2.0L Mitsubishi 4G63T engine and the the non turbocharged cars had the 2.0L Chrysler engine.
I know all about this baby as I owned one for many years. Really fun car in real life.

FB_IMG_1513185213922.jpg

FB_IMG_1513185195242.jpg

I have much better photos of it on my computer and not just sitting in the background in my Ducati photos.

Last edited:
So here are my times for these two cars.

D3868799-753A-44D1-AACE-7419A6BD2F2D.jpeg

D8B081C9-F63B-49BE-8B57-C41DBEF08034.jpeg

For cars with pretty much the same specs, there’s quite a few subtle differences between them.

The Eclipse felt faster on the straights and the Eagle turned in to the corners that bit more eagerly, The Eclipse either had shorter gearing or it had more torque available down low as it could take the second hairpin in 2nd, but the Eagle needed 1st gear.

But given there is over 30PI difference, just under 1.5 seconds does seem a tad odd when again you compare their specs together.

So the differences here are definitely not the ones you see on the spec list.

As for the verdict on the Eclipse, It didn’t exactly blow me away, but given I came into this with bad memories with the GT6 fwd Eclipse, this Eclipse is definitely better than that. :)

Eclipse verdict: Neutral

As for the Eagle, it’s overlooked compared to Eclipse, but it can put in the work when asked to.

Eagle Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Let’s see what you guys think. :P

So the Eclipse going by the times does have the edge over the Talon, but maybe the lower starting PI might play into the Talon’s favour if it came down to a class battle. :)

So the scores on the board are...

Eagle Talon..

1st: Vic Reigns: 1:47.745
2nd: @VICGT1970: 1:48.279

And the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

1st: @VICGT1970: 1:46.248
2nd: Vic Reigns: 1:46.364

Pretty damn close on the times, even if it’s just the two of us. :P

But anyways VICGT, you have the floor for this weeks pick...

Congratulations @VICGT1970!!!

What do you have for us this week?

Another Mitsubishi you say and it’s not an Evo?!

Could it be??

2407D931-915C-4709-9CE2-CC628FA2C4EA.png

The 1997 Mitsubishi GTO!!!

Geez we are just breezing through the cars from the 3 Red Diamond Manufacturer aren’t we? :lol: Just the Galant and the 4 Evos left.

But yes, the GTO, one of 3 cars with that same nameplate alongside the Pontiac GTO and the Ferrari GTO in its different layouts.

Courtesy of Japan’s economy being great in the 90’s (for the most part), car markers were bringing the best they had at the time to the table in terms of tech and applied it to their high end GT/Sports cars.

It brought us cars that would establish legends like the 2JZ packing Toyota Supra, the everyday supercar Honda NSX, Godzilla himself in the form of the Nissan Skyline GT-R and arguably the GTO’s main rival, the Nissan 300ZX.

Packing a 3.0 V6 which like in the Supra or 300ZX, could be had in NA or Twin Turbo flavours with the one we have making 320hp and 315 LB-FT of torque.

The 4wd and all the technology on board does make it quite heavy at just under 1.7 tons so handling maybe the big question this week.

Will it retain its absurd potential it had in GT1 or will it be a case of its best days already gone by?

The track to answer that question for this week is the full layout of the Mugello Circuit.

Time to step up folks and spread some christmas cheer at over 100mph for this one. :D

25EAF118-FD8A-42D4-A742-2833741EE9DC.jpeg

Benchmark has been laid down at Mugello. :)

You can feel it’s weight when coming into turn 1 as the brakes struggle to pull the car up for the corner.

Engine’s got some punch and the 4wd system does keep it in check, even if it can understeer when pushed.

For a 90’s Sporty Tourer, it’s a decent performer, not exceptional, but not terrible or boring either. :P

Verdict: Neutral

Here’s an early Merry Christmas wish to all, but remember, the Time Trial closes midnight on Boxing Day. :D:tup:

Mugello Full Laptime: 02:23.839
ABS on, no other assists

Agree with the comments above. Definitely had to haul out the anchors early for the first and final turns to prevent any meetings with the trackside furniture.

I was surprised by how much understeer the car suffered from but maybe to be expected with the 4WD gubbins doing their stuff. I thought it would be a bit more of a handful with all that power and weight. However, it went where I pointed it and I was able to achieve consistent (though not great) lap times.

I found third gear to be quite sluggish and I think this coupled with my skills let me down with my overall lap time.

As a massive Japanese sports car fan I was surprised how little I've driven the GTO in games and was even more surprised how much I actually enjoyed the drive. With a few mods I think I will use it more at different circuits.

Overall: Neutral

Hope you guys enjoyed christmas day with your friends and family. :cheers:

And don’t forget, Midnight on Boxing day is when this trial finishes up so keep those times coming. :D

Forza Motorsport 7 12_26_2017 12_59_35 PM.png

It's a Christmas miracle. :D

Ah yes, the car of many names and faces...
Another car that can be added to my list of cars I'd never seen before coming to the US, though now they're everywhere. Troll craigslist long enough and chances are you'll find one (or a variant thereof) in your area here, probably even for under 5k.

Not a bad car overall, even if Forza physics and 4wd don't mesh well. Just power through the understeer, it's got enough power to do so. I didn't find the brakes to be that bad at all considering the weight of the car. Maybe the ABS isn't playing nice with this car?

Verdict: Sleeper

Forza Motorsport 7 12_26_2017 12_57_40 PM.png

So the standings for the GTO at Mugello are as follows.

1st: @Drex124 2:19.691
2nd: @VICGT1970 2:19.931
3rd: Vic Reigns 2:20.676
4th: @Rue 2:23.839

So for the final COTW of 2017, I figured it would be fitting to finish up with a car from this year and I settled on the car that won the FH3 COTW Sleeper of the year award to see if it held up in the world of motorsports.

05A37AF5-C14C-42E1-92CC-03A878130F3A.png

It’s the 2017 Tamo Racemo!!!

The car that died before it could live as aggressive cost cutting by its parent company Tata caused the project to be shelved.

Powered by a tiny 1.2 litre 3 cylinder turbo, it made a remarkable 188hp and 155 lb-ft of torque. :eek:

Combine that with a midship layout and a kerb weight of under 2,300lbs, count on this thing punching above its weight class. :D

This small hearted, but strong spirited fighter will be taking on the short circuit layout of Sonoma Raceway, formally known as Infineon Raceway. ;)

Time to show what the 3 400cc cylinders can do with some large boost and a light body, go for broke people and finish the year in style. :cheers:

Since you mentioned my thread in this last update, Vic, now I gotta weigh in on this car as I was the one to add it to the week it was in.

Nobody cared about the Ferrari F50 it was paired with.

I'm installing FM7 right now, got an update in progress. Will post a time as soon as I get my hands on the Tamo. In the meanwhile, here's what I said regarding it in the update post:

But something interesting happened today. A new car was given life. A new name, a new face. As such, we will celebrate it by subjecting it to the rigors of this thread.

I'm going to ask that you lot beat this thing into the ground and wring out every last drop of performance it can offer. I know I'll be trying. It deserves that after its unfair death, at least.

-Set up a free play session
-Set car division to any
-Select car
You'll find the car in the rent a car section, it will be the stock version if no division is set.

Forza Motorsport 7 12_27_2017 11_54_41 AM.png

I might as well put up the first time while I'm at it.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this thing. Maybe it just doesn't fit my driving style. It will push wide in the high speed corners and bog down going up the hill in anything higher than second gear. If it doesn't try to spin up the inside wheel as well that is. And being aggressive on downshifts under breaking really unsettles the car.

Granted, most of my gripes are just me being bad at driving this thing. :dopey:

Still, it's pretty fast, especially for a D class. I think... update when I've done some testing on that.

So, the Racemo. It was meant to be an entry level mid-engined car that would be taking a shot at the MX5 and similar low end sports cars.

It was launched first in the digital world on March 7 of this year, making its appearance in Forza Horizon 3. Reception to it was positive, both out in the real world and in the Forza world. I personally liked it because it was out there and funky.

So how did it fare in the more realistic Forza 7 setting?

IMG_20171227_140930.jpg

Not too bad for playing this game for the first time. I, quite literally, installed the game overnight and started it when I got up today at 10 to get a hang of the physics.

The Tamo has a lot of grip on it for such a small car, and I noticed that as I was hotlapping. I could pin the throttle and just ease on the brakes leading up to the first right hander, and then do the same at the following chicane. The car was also full-throttle all the way down the back slalom (I only have a 1:33 because I'm a wuss and can't find the best speed for the final right hander before the hairpin) and held on without an argument.

I would say the TaMo has very minor drawbacks from being an upstart car - the gears are a tad too long and the diff feels like it's wide open - but those are honestly just nitpicks.

It's a fantastic little car that never got to see the light of day, whose existence will be preserved in Forza until the end of time. It may have suffered an ill-fated death, but that does not mean it is forgotten.

The TaMo Racemo.
aa042b6e-f661-4df0-9d39-09f22512bf30.jpeg

Upstart. Lightweight. Sleeper.

Thanks for reading. And until next time, farewell.

Ah, blimey. I managed to get some quick-ish laps in the GTO, take some pictures, and even had a review mostly written, but then Christmas came along and I found myself stuck in the kitchen. So, here's my look at this Japanese wonder, well after the deadline. I'll be sure to give the TAMO a try! It was quite fun to toss around in Horizon 3, don't see why it shouldn't work in FM7.

The "GTO" nameplate is really interesting from an historical and, dare I say, sociological perspective: introduced by Ferrari in 1962, it was eventually attached to very different cars, all representative of the equally varied attitudes and ambitions towards automobiles in their respective home countries. First came the 250 GTO: its name meaning "Homologated Gran Turismo", it was exactly that. The 250 is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful race cars to be ever created, with an aerodynamic body wrapped around a tubeframe chassis and a high-strung, almost symphonical V12 engine under one of the longest hoods ever conceived. The 250 was only homologated through extreme subterfuge, and dominated the world of GT racing during its brief tenure, only to be displaced by changing rulebooks and the rise of mid-engined cars. Later on, Ferrari would give the name to a version of the 308 built with the exact same intentions and spirit: the 288 GTO was however prevented from racing by the sudden demise of Group B racing, becoming one of the first turbocharged supercars of the 80s instead.
On the other hand, the Pontiac GTO was, in true American fashion, originally offered as a high-performance, redlight challenger trim level for a car which shared its underpinnings with half of the then-current GM offering, the venerable Tempest. But despite its more pedestrian origins, this GTO would go on to become a legendary muscle in an era dominated by spoilers, garish paintobs and humongous V8s. The nameplate would - again, in a typically American move - be resurrected in the early 2000s for a nostalgic V8 sedan that was essentially a Holden Monaro with a different front bumper.

But today we're talking about the Japanese permutation of the "GTO" theme, coming from a manufacturer that, at the time, was at the top of its game: Mitsubishi.

Put some appropriate music on, and hop in!

In reality, this wasn't the first car from Mitsubishi to be christened with the three-letter name: in 1969, the brand launched a sporty variation of the Galant compact sedan, named - you guessed it! - the Galant GTO. However, it's undoubtedly the one that's best remembered. Originally introduced as a concept car at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show, the GTO captivated a domestic public starved for gadgets and electronic gizmos and which was flush with money, and was thus willing and able to afford the high upkeep of a large sportscar in a country notoriously hostile to gas guzzles and large vehicles. Japan had finally shed its reputation as a manufacturer of cheap goods, and had at this point conquered a spot at the fore of the relentless march of technology: not unlike the Honda NSX, Toyota Supra Mk. 4 and more competition-oriented Nissan Skyline GT-R, the GTO was supposed to be a showcase of Japanese technological prowess, a demonstration of the strenghts of its manufacturer first and foremost. Four-wheel drive, four-wheel steering, active aerodynamics, electronically controlled suspensions: it was something straight out of the science fiction of the 1980s, available on the markets right at the beginning of the 1990s.

It almost looks like something from the future today!

Unfortunately, right at that time, Japan would be rudely awaken from the dream of endless economic growth by the bursting of the speculative bubble which had allowed it to persist. And while Honda, Nissan and Toyota's offerings were still in high demand amongst performance fanatics who desired to own a car as similar as possible to the racing machines of the newborn JGTC series, the heavier, more civilized Mitsubishi lacked the pedigree and charisma to be successful in this new climate, soon becoming a forgotten jewel of the Japanese automotive industry.
In America, Dodge would also sell a captive import version of the GTO. Just like the Ford Probe introduced two years prior - in essence, a rebadged Mazda MX-6 - it'd be a car with a design more appealing to the American public at the time, with most of the advanced technology removed, and with a name which evoked feelings of infiltration and invasion (although in Ford's case, the chosen nameplate had much more unfortunate implications): the Dodge Stealth was supposed to make its grand debut as the Pace Car of the 1991 Indy 500, but concerns about its foreign-ness forced Chrysler to replace it with a hastily-assembled prototype of the Viper.
Over time, much of its pioneering technological equipment would be discontinued to keep cost of production and prices down, its lines would become somewhat less elegants as Mitsubishi engineers trifled with them in their attempts to keep the car relevant ("Combat Wing", anyone?). Despite its failure to meet the same critical and sales success as its competition, it was produced until 2000, when it was quietly retired.

39304677492_23b27acb9b_c.jpg

The second-gen GTO styling struck the right balance between elegance and aggressiveness. The third, not so much.

So, how does it drive?

Well, first and foremost, let me say that the considerable heft of the car is definitely noticeable, especially on braking. This is not to say that the GTO can't be driven very aggressively: you'll just have to readjust your braking points accordingly, least you end up using it as an impromptu lawnmower (as I did several times). Undoubtedly this Mitsubishi has its shortcomings, and FM7's understeering tendency doesn't favor heavy, four-wheel drive vehicles, but with a "slow in, fast out" approach it can still be a very formidable track car. Regardless of outcome, trying to wring out every last bit of performance from this 90s classic is an exhilarating activity: approaching the limits of grip and agility is quite easy, and the high-strung twin-turbo V6 really sings, helped along by a 6-speed Getrag transmission which replaced the original, less reliable 5-speed unit starting from 1993 and makes chasing high RPMs quite easy, despite its tall gearing.

27556785769_bfbace62c4_c.jpg

You'll either be doing a lot of heavy braking, or a lot of overshooting corners.

I didn't look at the car's PI when buying it; I was quite surprised to find out it was just a (high) C-class car. In real life, improving the GTO's track performance is not an easy undertaking: the engine isn't just a turn of a screw away from making over 400 hp like the RB26s and 2JZs of this world, and likewise, stripping the car will only bring its weight around the 3200 pounds mark. But in Forza, it's easy to see how it could become a dominant car in its division, and generally speaking, an interesting weapon in the hands of proficient tuners and drivers. If you ask me, it's a car worthy of being called a sleeper. Which makes even more sad the fact that, as the GT-R's reached worlwide popularity, a new NSX and Supra are hitting the markets, and even Mazda is thinking about reintroducing an "RX" model, Mitsubishi has decided to exit the sports car market for good, quashing our hopes to ever see a heir to the unique heritage of this car appear on the market.

Mitsubishi, I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave.

+ The official car of the Japanese bubble economy!
- Weights like a small truck, and it's only thanks to technology that it doesn't handle like one

FL: 02:22.523

FM7_1097.png

Last edited:
Ah, blimey. I managed to get some quick-ish laps in the GTO, take some pictures, and even had a review mostly written, but then Christmas came along and I found myself stuck in the kitchen. So, here's my look at this Japanese wonder, well after the deadline. I'll be sure to give the TAMO a try! It was quite fun to toss around in Horizon 3, don't see why it shouldn't work in FM7.

The "GTO" nameplate is really interesting from an historical and, dare I say, sociological perspective: introduced by Ferrari in 1962, it was eventually attached to very different cars, all representative of the equally varied attitudes and ambitions towards automobiles in their respective home countries. First came the 250 GTO: its name meaning "Homologated Gran Turismo", the 250 is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful race cars to be ever created, with an aerodynamic body wrapped around a tubeframe chassis and a high-strung, almost symphonical V12 engine under one of the longest hoods ever conceived. The 250 was only homologated through extreme subterfuge, and dominated the world of GT racing during its brief tenure, only to be displaced by changing rulebooks and the rise of mid-engined cars. Later on, Ferrari would give the name to a version of the 308 built with the exact same intentions and spirit, which was howver stopped from achieving sporting success by a sudden change in rules.
On the other hand, the Pontiac GTO was, in true American fashion, originally offered as a high-performance, redlight challenger trim level for a car which shared its underpinnings with half of the then-current GM offering, the venerable Tempest. But despite its more pedestrian origins, this GTO would go on to become a legendary muscle in an era dominated by spoilers, garish paintobs and humongous V8s. The nameplate would - again, in a typically American move - be resurrected in the early 2000s for a nostalgic V8 sedan that was essentially a Holden Monaro with a different front bumper.

But today we're talking about the Japanese permutation of the "GTO" theme, coming from a manufacturer that, at the time, was at the top of its game: Mitsubishi.

Put some appropriate music on, and hop in!

In reality, this wasn't the first car from Mitsubishi to be christened with the three-letter name: in 1969, the brand launched a sporty variation of the Galant compact sedan, named - you guessed it! - the Galant GTO. However, it's undoubtedly the one that's best remembered. Originally introduced as a concept car at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show, the GTO captivated a domestic public starved for gadgets and electronic gizmos and which was flush with money, and was thus willing and able to afford the high upkeep of a large sportscar in a country notoriously hostile to gas guzzles and large vehicles. Japan had finally shed its reputation as a manufacturer of cheap goods, and had at this point conquered a spot at the fore of the relentless march of technology: not unlike the Honda NSX, Toyota Supra Mk. 4 and more competition-oriented Nissan Skyline GT-R, the GTO was supposed to be a showcase of Japanese technological prowess, a demonstration of the strenghts of its manufacturer first and foremost. Four-wheel drive, four-wheel steering, active aerodynamics, electronically controlled suspensions: it was something straight out of the science fiction of the 1980s, available on the markets right at the beginning of the 1990s.

It almost looks like something from the future today!

Unfortunately, right at that time, Japan would be rudely awaken from the dream of endless economic growth by the bursting of the speculative bubble which had allowed it to persist. And while Honda, Nissan and Toyota's offerings were still in high demand amongst performance fanatics who desired to own a car as similar as possible to the racing machines of the newborn JGTC series, the heavier, more civilized Mitsubishi lacked the pedigree and charisma to be successful in this new climate, soon becoming a forgotten jewel of the Japanese automotive industry.
In America, Dodge would also sell a captive import version of the GTO. Just like the Ford Probe introduced two years prior - in essence, a rebadged Mazda MX-6 - it'd be a car with a design more appealing to the American public at the time, with most of the advanced technology removed, and with a name which evoked feelings of infiltration and invasion (although in Ford's case, the chosen nameplate had much more unfortunate implications): the Dodge Stealth was supposed to make its grand debut as the Pace Car of the 1991 Indy 500, but concerns about its foreign-ness forced Chrysler to replace it with a hastily-assembled prototype of the Viper.
Over time, much of its pioneering technological equipment would be discontinued to keep cost of production and prices down, its lines would become somewhat less elegants as Mitsubishi engineers trifled with them in their attempts to keep the car relevant ("Combat Wing", anyone?). Despite its failure to meet the same critical and sales success as its competition, it was produced until 2000, when it was quietly retired.

39304677492_23b27acb9b_c.jpg

The second-gen GTO styling struck the right balance between elegance and aggressiveness. The third, not so much.

So, how does it drive?

Well, first and foremost, let me say that the considerable heft of the car is definitely noticeable, especially on braking. This is not to say that the GTO can't be driven very aggressively: you'll just have to readjust your braking points accordingly, least you end up using it as an impromptu lawnmower (as I did several times). Undoubtedly this Mitsubishi has its shortcomings, and FM7's understeering tendency doesn't favor heavy, four-wheel drive vehicles, but with a "slow in, fast out" approach it can still be a very formidable track car. Regardless of outcome, trying to wring out every last bit of performance from this 90s classic is an exhilarating activity: approaching the limits of grip and agility is quite easy, and the high-strung twin-turbo V6 really sings, helped along by a 6-speed Getrag transmission which replaced the original, less reliable 5-speed unit starting from 1993 and makes chasing high RPMs quite easy, despite its tall gearing.

27556785769_bfbace62c4_c.jpg

You'll either be doing a lot of heavy braking, or a lot of overshooting corners.

I didn't look at the car's PI when buying it; I was quite surprised to find out it was just a (high) C-class car. In real life, improving the GTO's track performance is not an easy undertaking: the engine isn't just a turn of a screw away from making over 400 hp like the RB26s and 2JZs of this world, and likewise, stripping the car will only bring its weight around the 3200 pounds mark. But in Forza, it's easy to see how it could become a dominant car in its division, and generally speaking, an interesting weapon in the hands of proficient tuners and drivers. If you ask me, it's a car worthy of being called a sleeper. Which makes even more sad the fact that, as the GT-R's reached worlwide popularity, a new NSX and Supra are hitting the markets, and even Mazda is thinking about reintroducing an "RX" model, Mitsubishi has decided to exit the sports car market for good, quashing our hopes to ever see a heir to the unique heritage of this car appear on the market.

Mitsubishi, I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave.

+ The official car of the Japanese bubble economy!
- Weights like a small truck, and it's only thanks to technology that it doesn't handle like one

FL: 02:22.523

View attachment 701994

I love how you did this! I wanted to do a similar review with focus on the photography side and even had something else up my sleeve for some further added originality - now you've inspired me to follow through with it. So, watch this space. I will leave the copy side of things to you though, you have nailed it - bravo!

Back to the TaMo, I am pleased that my lap times are competitive with those above. I will crack on this week and see if I can make up for my GTO times. I am thoroughly enjoying the TaMo, but it always bites me in that final hairpin.

55B733CB-9746-4922-B82B-D177D97ABC80.jpeg

So the Tamo Racemo, from my short time driving it is quite the fun little package.

Firstly and mainly, It’s engine is a punchy little thing that likes the high revs for its power, its also running a lot of boost at 31.6 PSI stock.

And there’s the noise, there’s something about an angry 3 cylinder that’s just appealing to listen to, same with the equally odd cylindered 5 cylinder engine found in most of Audi’s offerings. :drool:

Handling is understandably mixed, it’s got no limited slip diff so it can burn the inside tyre in a corner and there’s some understeer to deal with at corner entry.

Brakes are good partly down to its low kerbweight of under 2,300 pounds and the 6 speed automated manual is quick on the shift times, especially when using clutch. ;)

As a whole, it’s made the transition from Horizon to Motorsport quite well, shame that the same can’t be said for it transitioning from virtual to reality. :(

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Back