Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Sorry its late but I had so much fun with the wagon I wanted to post about it.

Tuned it all the way up and tackled a few events. First the International B Tour of Japan: Tokyo R246 and won easily. Then I took it to the IB Tuned Car Festival: Daytona Road Course and won even more easily! Passed the whole field in the first lap.

9EU3SdDl.jpg

For the LEAD!

PnqAWF2l.jpg

made it stick!

cpXLhR1l.jpg

CELEBRATION

Last edited:
That was some ridiculously fun racing guys. Wonder what caused the no gauges bug that greenBRAINS and I experienced though. I don't know about his normal driving view, but driving in bumper cam without the gauges was really disorienting. Thankfully they came back. :)

That was some ridiculously fun racing guys. Wonder what caused the no gauges bug that greenBRAINS and I experienced though. I don't know about his normal driving view, but driving in bumper cam without the gauges was really disorienting. Thankfully they came back. :)
When I noticed my gauges were flickering during the GT Academy I thought to myself, how long until someone says their gauges vanished like they just got EMP'ed? Guess it wasn't that long. :P

Have yet to take the Civic around Grand Valley East, but so far I'm liking this car a lot more than I thought I would. A very quick and nimble little racecar that makes for some wild and entertaining spec racing.

That said, please let this not be the beginning of yet another month-long stretch of Japanese cars! :P

When I noticed my gauges were flickering during the GT Academy I thought to myself, how long until someone says their gauges vanished like they just got EMP'ed? Guess it wasn't that long. :P

They were gone the entire first race for me. I hadn't realised just how much I used the gauge placement to help me know where the car was laterally on the track until they were gone.

Congratulations Me!

I'll be honest... I didn't realize Thursday had passed until it was already Saturday. It's been that hectic. I didn't want anyone to stumble upon a message after it was already time to choose a car, so I made an executive decision to highjack this week's choice.

Let's face it... whomever won would inevitably choose something from Japan, again making it 3 weeks in a row with Japanese cars. Or, equally plausible, it'd be French, so either way I'm saving you from something terrible!

With what, you might ask?

Well, I never said it would be easy, so you'll need to stop off at the coffee shop to pick up something to sooth the nerves...

2001 Spyker C8 Laviolette!

Spyker-C8-Laviolette-babe-coches-mujeres-carros-deportivos-modelo-wallpaper%2B419%2B%255Bcochesymujereshot.blogspot.com%255D.jpg

What's one more night in Paris? (as long as you've got plenty of rubbers)

Best Lap- 1:46.400

Last edited:
Sorry McLaren. Is there a motor vehicle in that photo of yours?? I've been looking at it for absolutely ages and, well, I haven't noticed one yet...:drool:

I've tried this good looking gal out on the track many a time before (and yes I do mean the car this time) and always found her a trifle under performing. Interested to see the thoughts of others.

PS I promise not to select a Japanese car. Do I win?? :mischievous:

Ah an interesting choice @McClarenDesign 👍

Dutch design, Germany power. A 4.2 Audi V8 mid-mounted and sending power to the back via a six speed manual transmission.

Could also be had with a slightly longer wheelbase and twin turbos with around 550hp. :D

Known fact about Spyker is that they built one of the first 4wd racers in the early 1900's but it was quite uncompetitive. :rolleyes:

A limited edition C8 called the LM85 was unveiled a few years ago which had a small wing and orange and black finish. ;)

Edit: there's a model called the Double 12 which is a road version of the 24hr racer that ran at LeMans and it has the option of a 620ps V8 with a bigger fuel tank and longer wheelbase. :drool:

Last edited:
In the spotlight this week... The Spyker C8 Laviolette!
eJUqj2T.jpg

This was one of my top 25 favorites in GT5, so I really like the choice MC! Should prove to be an interesting Tuesday... but they usually are.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z6197/Spyker-C8-Laviolette.aspx

"I declare to the world, this is a nice car!"
TQzcktR.jpg

Everybody trusts the word of a guy in a robe, right? ;) Well, like a good friend of mine says... "If you're not Dutch, you're not much!"

Cheers

Last edited:
Is it even possible to climb the Matterhorn in a 2CV :crazy:
Guess I'm off experimenting. :lol:

Edit: it's possible :P. You need to zig-zag up the first hill to make it and just leave it in 1st gear until the top. 2.22miles done in almost 6 mins.:eek:

Was done with a stock 2CV with oil change.
I did another run with 200kg of ballast and it failed at the slightest incline. :lol:

Last edited:
Guess I'm off experimenting. :lol:

Edit: it's possible :P. You need to zig-zag up the first hill to make it and just leave it in 1st gear until the top. 2.22miles done in almost 6 mins.:eek:

Was done with a stock 2CV with oil change.
I did another run with 200kg of ballast and it failed at the slightest incline. :lol:

Enjoyed the Civic quite a bit more than I'd expected last week. At first, I thought a Civic Hatchback Race Car made about as much sense as Jumbo Shrimp, but I can't help but be impressed by the job Honda did, making a front drive car with virtually no understeer and getting 200+ HP out of a four cylinder without a turbo in the late 80s. And it punches well above its PP level on track. I got a 1:12.005 out of it on GVE, faster than anything other than the Ferrari GTO. Definite Sleeper, that car. No wonder it won so many races in its day.

Looking forward to trying out this "Dutch Treat" for this week.

The C8 Laviolette is such a RIDICULOUSLY FAST CAR on the straights (for its PP) I'm winning a lot of onfline races. One of my favorite cars in the game! :D

Last edited:
(Rant start)

Whew, it's been a while since I posted here. Well, it doesn't help much when more than half of the posts in this forum are "OMG GT sux, PD sux, everybody should be unemployed, etc." What does this game lack? Some sort of engaging factor, I think. Look at Driver: San Francisco: sure, the story is super silly, but the variety of cars and the fun dares you can do with said which keep it afloat, even after clearing the story mode. It's fun throwing a Miura 'round the freeway, or perhaps pick a large bus and drive it on the wrong side of the sidewalk, destroying all the lamp posts. See? Engaging factor. Do look for that next time, PD, or the fanbase will keep reverting back to zero. Thank you.

(Rant end)

Anyway, I see that @McClarenDesign picked a Dutch airplane supercar thingy because you people keep picking JDM cars (there's nothing wrong about that, mind you, but some variety keeps things interesting), shame on you. I did buy one of those Spykers for personal GT use, and so far, so good. The lack of graphical detail is a minus, but the perfomance seems good, since this thing defeated Paganis and Mcclarens (no pun here) in the Monza Supercar Festival race. I'll see if I can overcome my usual lazyness and write a full review of it soon. Keep an eye on this space...

(Rant start)

Anyway, I see that @McClarenDesign picked a Dutch airplane supercar thingy because you people keep picking JDM cars (there's nothing wrong about that, mind you, but some variety keeps things interesting), shame on you.

Well, can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a single Japanese car in mind for a COTW pick...or any French cars for that matter.....

Alright, yes, I would choose something that's big, brutish and American again. :D

Spyker C8 Laviolette 2001

1City of Arts and Sciences - Night_1.jpg

A Dutch super-car...really...Dutch.
She's really a she-devil though...
2.jpg

No, not that kind of she-devil, I kind of like her ^^^^^
3Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_7.jpg

This kind of she-devil ^^^^^

She's Dutch, good looking and fast, I'll give her that. Where to begin? They say they raced a version at the 24 hours of LeMans so why not Circuit De La Sarthe (the current one)? She's not picky...she doesn't like anything!
Stopping...no, not enough brakes to slow her down from a rather healthy top end, I saw 186 multiple times at this track, when I had the guts to take my eyes off the road. And don't even think about braking hard on a curve!
Fast corners...no, not enough traction/downforce/grip whatever, she has a nasty habit of wanting to slide right out from underneath you.
Slow corners...no, too much torque, throttle control is everything with her.
Gearing...no, she pulls wonderfully through 4th, but when you hit the red line and shift to 5th she just sort of languishes there. Oh, she'll pull a couple hundred more revs...if you have the room, but that's about it. If you don't need your top gear at a track the size of De La Sarthe, you got too much gear. Which is usually the opposite of what I find in a stock box for a street legal car.
Straight line...pffft, she doesn't even like that! The tires were squawking and squealing all the way down the Mulsanne. Sounds like a suspension issue, but who knows? I think she just has a bad attitude.
Fun factor...PRICELESS!
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_5.jpg

Specs: 448hp/526pp
De La Sarthe TT:
stock - 4:27.579
tuned- 4:08.928
De La Sarthe 5 laps vs Pro AI:
stock - P2, total 22:34.370, best 4:26.624 ( I did manage to beat my best lap TT at the race).
tuned - P1, best 4:09.311 Okay, so I forgot to grab my total time.
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_6.jpg

There really isn't anything to report on the races. The stock ride was in P2 by lap 2 and the rabbit was gaining 3-4 seconds a lap. When I hit the Mulsanne on lap 4 he was up 24 seconds. It's not like they didn't try and give it to me though, that deficit was cut to just under 7 seconds by the end of the race :rolleyes: Knowing how much I increased my speed without increasing the pp for the tune I figured there wouldn't be much competition, I was right. I was in P1 by the first chicane and from there it was simply a 4.5 lap TT. I finished nearly 2 full minutes up on P2.

So, how does one if not tame, come to terms with a Dutch she-devil? Given the number of issues above the list is long. RH tires, Race soft suspension, race brakes, 3 plate clutch, LSD and a full custom box with a 0.865 6th gear giving a top speed of 193. I found this gearing perfect for De La Sarthe, I bounced off the rev limiter at exactly the spot I wanted to brake for the first chicane. Other than that, the light would flash, but never hit the limiter.

Beater or sleeper? As much fun as she was, I hate to say it, but in stock form I would have to say beater...for a super car. You know all those youtube videos where some rich guy buys a hyper car and then plants it into a wall, fence, tree or whatever else happens to be handy? My guess is that this is what happened to most of these cars. I can't imagine the concentration level needed to run this car in an endurance race. I spent an hour on my TT and rarely strung together 2 laps without an off. I was mentally frustrated and exhausted after that and this is just a game! I am sure she's a handful on the street where there are many more things to bounce off of. If you are not on top of this car every second she is rolling you are just asking for trouble. All that being said, she leaves you wanting more. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with her, but an occasional weekend fling sounds quite exciting! Reminds me of this young lady I met down in Arizona a few decades ago...but that's a whole other story :cheers:

Sorry for the double post, but nobody else is posting and I am having way too much fun with this car.

The Dutch she-devil's evil twin sister​

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013.jpg

1st turn, 1st lap pass on the GTO who would eventually become P2.

I decided to make a proper GT car out of the C8 for LaMans. In addition to the previous mods I went all out on power upgrades (minus forced induction), full weight reduction, aero and all. Her specs came to 611hp/571pp and back out to De La Sarthe we went.
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_1.jpg

Passing the second Ferrari in the field, a California, who would go on to a P3 finish.

De La Sarthe TT
stock: 4:27.579
mild : 4:08.928
wild : 3:55.318
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_2.jpg

I got slowed by the SRT8 (eventual P4) entering the Mulsanne, but not for long.

De La Sarthe 5 laps vs pro AI
stock: finish P2, best 4:26.624, total 22:34.370
mild : finish P1, best 4:09.311, total x:xx.xxx
wild : finish P1, best 3:56.279, total 19:59.939
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_5.jpg

Off into the sunset.

She's a fast machine...even faster now and back to her tire shredding ways even on RH tires.
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_6.jpg

Screaming down the Mulsanne, I was able to hit 215 with this tune.

I chose a final drive of 0.862/217 and was able to hit 215 without the limiter kicking in. To even up the weight distribution to 50/50 I added 27Kg placing it 47% to the rear which left the pp untouched at 571.

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_7.jpg

I did find that I needed to adjust my driving style even though I did hit the curbs here, curb riding is generally discouraged. She has plenty enough power to cut the rear loose without the curbs unsettling her even more. I had my best results braking early before entering the curves, letting her roll into the curve while fading to the outside to "square off" the exit before gently rolling on the throttle.

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_9.jpg

Missed my braking point entirely on my first full dark lap at the end of the Mulsanne. Once I hit that curve before the hard right there was no getting a handle on her. Made it all the way to the escape road to get out of the kitty litter :)
Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_10.jpg

I had lapped four cars and was hot on the tail of this Z at the finish. I need to find some competition for this car somewhere :gtpflag:

Spyker C8

Careful Now!

In stock 448bhp and 526PP form on the SH tyres it needs very careful control, but the straight line acceleration is monstrous.

Brands Indy took a respectable 54.344 seconds with a good deal of squealing tyres.

Next up was a race at the Matterhorn, where the straight line speed was good but the poor brakes meant some hairy moments.

Scenic!

Showing the marks of combat

Overall, a mixture as it needs more skill than your average driver to get the best out of this car in stock form, but good fun nevertheless and a good cOTW.

Cheers

I had more fun in last week's Civic than any man should be able to have in a car (without a girl in the car with him - or a guy if that's your thing) and was able to post a record for me at Streets of Willow of 1:14.713. I think that will stand for a while.

UDawyXH.jpg

The little thing even looks determined.

I may not have had the time to set up a full review, but damned if I didn't love that little car. If ever an obvious racing car could be a sleeper, the little Civic is it. Truly, the car is a giant slayer.

This week, however...

0yZFGaq.jpg

TURN!!!!!

Massive lift-throttle understeer, massive and abrupt power oversteer. This is a car with absolutely no front-end grip. Until you hit the gas and find there's also absolutely no rear grip too. You go into a corner pleading with the car to rotate just the tiniest amount and come out of the corner desperately begging it to stop rotating under power. She's fast as all hell in the straights, but corner entry and exit are nightmares.

RokrEWq.jpg

No, really, TURN!

At Streets of Willow I managed 3 clean laps out of 10 and spent more time off track than I did in all other cars of the week so far combined. The Spyker was particularly unhappy with the kink in the pit straight, refusing to turn in smartly and then drifting wide off the track as soon as any thought of braking for Turn 2 came into the equation.

47JJguP.jpg

No, that's too much turning.

Getting a good run through the 4-5-6 complex required careful modulation of the throttle and just was not as fast as I'd have expected from the car's power level. A strong exit from the Bowl was far more complicated than it needed to be and required careful balance of power oversteer with the chassis' desire to drift wide to set up. Even a decent run tended to have a few twitches to correct.

ecU4jwO.jpg

Gentle... Gentle... CRAP!

Through 9-10-11 the Dutch wonder was stable, but almost too much so. Getting rotation in 10 to set up for 11 was more difficult than it needed to be and I got spat out of 11 wide entirely too often. Turn 14 coming onto the pit straight was also a bit iffy. Get the entry speed spot-on and it's predictable. Get the entry speed just a hair too low (yes, low) and trying to accelerate through the corner without lighting up the rear tires is a bit of the black arts that I've yet to manage.

olLunKS.jpg

Correcting the understeer with power oversteer didn't work so well...

When all is said and done, one of my clean laps is a 1:17.948. Respectable. The problem is the number of laps approaching 1:40 mixed into the remainder of my 10-lap stint. In an all-out hot-lap session, I could pull a pretty respectable time out of this car with a bit of luck, but in a race setting I'd be lapping in the 1:23 range just so I could keep the car on the track and out of everyone else's machinery.

Final verdict on the Spyker? Beater. It's just plain not fun to drive. Somewhat oddly, it felt OK at the Nordschleife, but on a tight track the chassis' weaknesses were all too evident. Get it right and it's quick, no doubt, but there are too many other cars that are easier to drive even quicker for the Spyker to stand out in a good way. Even the looks just don't do it for me.

16iJyYq.jpg

Pictured: Bottom feeding fish left out in the sun after having been sat on.

If you want a good-looking car that will run 1:17's at Streets, get a Ferrari Daytona instead.

Specs:

Displacement: 4,172 cc
Power: 448 hp @ 7,500 RPM
Torque: 354 ft-lbs @ 5,000 RPM
Weight: 2,359 pounds

Top Speed: 200 mph (as measured at la Sarthe, without chicanes, 200 just flashed in 5th before the upshift, after which she slowed down)

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/KTnvl/all

Last edited:
I was thinking we should do a rally car for a week to shake things up a bit. Maybe the change in track surface would slow our British friends just enough to make some intense racing. :)

I don't know Monty... we have a hard time catching their dust figuratively and now you want to tempt fate with actual dust??? :scared: :nervous: :lol: Liking the rally idea though! 👍 But as Canadians, don't you think we should be asking for snow???!!! lol

Cheers

A rally round does sound like a good idea depending on the car we use for that week. 👍

I don't know Monty... we have a hard time catching their dust figuratively and now you want to tempt fate with actual dust??? :scared: :nervous: :lol: Liking the rally idea though! 👍 But as Canadians, don't you think we should be asking for snow???!!! lol

Cheers
If it does slow us down then the dust we would kick up would make any clean overtake attempt almost impossible. :sly:

Back