Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

For those thinking that this vehicle is just stupidly huge and overweight....

...yeah, wait until you see dualie versions.

Full on @Vic Reign93 -ness at the 6 minute mark.

Coming from a place where the biggest cars you see on the road on a day to day basis are an Isuzu DMax, Holden Colorado, Nissan Navara, etc... These trucks are titanic. I can only imagine what it's like driving one for a few days then climbing into something small like an EG Civic.. :lol:

I drive the soccer-mom version of this. Mine's green. I love it.

2004-dodge-durango-limited_100030530_m.jpg

Well, it's been a long time since I have been here. I wonder what did I missed?

I wonder who's still active here? And will we ever make another one once GT Sport got released?

I would like to come back and start playing this game. Maybe try some online racing with my DFGT. ;) I mean what's better to play online mode than with your fellow GTP members? :D

-----
Speaking of COTW, this week's car reminds me of that Truck cup series (forgot the name tho) in GT4 and GT5 career mode. I find it interesting to race pick up trucks instead of the usual performance cars. Kinda silly too.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's been a long time since I have been here. I wonder what did I missed?

I wonder who's still active here? And will we ever make another one once GT Sport got released?

I would like to come back and start playing this game. Maybe try some online racing with my DFGT. ;) I mean what's better to play online mode than with your fellow GTP members? :D

-----
Speaking of COTW, this week's car reminds me of that Truck cup series (forgot the name tho) in GT4 and GT5 career mode. I find it interesting to race pick up trucks instead of the usual performance cars. Kinda silly too.
maxresdefault.jpg
This was also in GT5 and you could win it in a Midget IIRC

There's only one thing I can say about the Ram (Gump voice) - it was better than the Chevy SSR!

... not sure how that's possible :P

I'm thinking maybe it's the expectations. You might expect a Ram to be great at towing, or carrying go-karts, and expect nothing in the handling department. However, one look at the SSR says: the designers got serious! ...But then you drive it and you find out the designers were serious and apparently were also left to do the job that engineers were supposed to do - Blah!

W4D3SEZ.jpg

Not Exactly the Greatest Spectacle
There are a few ways that the Tank Car resembles the front-engine roadsters of yore, with its open wheels and equally exposed driver with no roll-over protection to speak of. No one will mistake the engine for a four-cylinder Offenhauser though, in fact the entire car was built just to try and accommodate the massive engine. The result is as you would expect, massive grunt in a straight line but hopelessly useless in the corners.

It is undoubtedly a Beater. But worst car of the year? Maybe not in my eyes.

q4kGXWM.jpg

You see, many cars we call beaters are because they failed to accomplish what they set out to do. Maybe it's the front drive hatchback with horrible understeer, or the supercar with vague handling characteristics, or the race car that doesn't live up to a race pedigree. In the case of the Tank Car, none of those things are at play. From the moment they conceived it, they didn't have any plans of practicality, they weren't out to break speed records at either the Nurburgring or the Bonneville Salt Flats. They just said, "Let's build something completely ridiculous just for the sake of doing it." And that's exactly what they did, and I can't help but admire them for it.

If there is such a thing as "A Good Beater", the Jay Leno Tank Car qualifies for it.

Last edited:
If there is such a thing as "A Good Beater", the Jay Leno Tank Car qualifies for it.

In a rare move, I actually disagree with this statement. Rare because usually I see where @JackRyanWMU 's point is coming from... but not this time. A good beater is something where you wouldn't really regret the amount required to get the beater. In the past, cars were declared beaters costing less than a quarter of this monstrosity mostly due to the price of said beater versus the actual performance. Let alone the fact that it's just a standard model... not even worth PD's time to get it to semi-premium status.

Every girl on the planet would laugh at you if you couldn't even get a "semi" going... imagine how useless she'd think you were after paying over a million plus just to find that out! ;)

EDIT:

Black Betty by Dodge RAM Jam...

cEZ612U.jpg

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I KNEW I had one of these kicking around in my collection. What I forgot about was the fact it's NOT a Dodge, nor is it an SRT... it's a Ram. :banghead: Like seriously?!? I almost bought another one just cause I couldn't find it in my stockyard. GRRRRRR 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Ok, so I found it, and it actually had more mileage than I remembered... sad thing is I can't remember where I used it so much!!! Anyhooo... it was already tuned and ready to go, so before I joined the Saturday races, I tried my luck with the night time A-Spec Seasonal. Man oh man, I bet I scared the 🤬 out of the AI drivers sneaking up on them in my Midnight edition truck.

It handles way better than I thought or could remember, either tuned or stock. Surprisingly so to be honest. Long and short of it... I'm calling it a Sleeper and a Keeper!!!

Now if only I could find either my memory or my brain, I'll be fine! :lol: ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
The Dodge Ram.
True sleeper or two-tonne terror?
Daytona International Speedway.jpg

Ash and Nismo play with TT's

When I was a junior in college, I was **** scared of the seniors. I'd barely be able to look them in the eye, let alone speak a word to them. So now, five years later, and now that I've worked my way up the food chain, you'd think that I'd be able to flaunt the same authority my predecessors had with the same effect. But no, these juniors go about the campus strutting their stuff like they own the show, making cringey vlogs and mouthing off to anyone, student or teacher, who criticises them. Uhhmmm, no. Sorry swagfags, I didn't take five years of crap from the older kids to spend my senior year getting lip from pimply faced, snapback-wearing squeakers with fidget spinners and chromebooks. I'm reaching a point where the next poor sod to try me may end up sporting serious injuries. Or go missing entirely. Let's just say I have friends in very high places that wouldn't protest..

So really, what else was I to do but purchase a Dodge Ram? Finally, a large, monstrous vehicle to cruise around in and intimidate the turds. But really, my expectations weren't high. The only other pickup I've driven is the SSR, and you all know how that went down. Now, the first thing I didn't get my head around is that the Ram's 4WD. I know, it's even got a sizable badge proudly announcing to everyone behind it that the power is being delivered to all four wheels, but for some reason it didn't click in my brain, and I kept driving it like it was rear wheel drive. Not that it entirely mattered, I mean most of the racing I joined in on Tuesday was around ovals. But still when I got it in my thick head that it was 4WD (Whilst hammering around Bathurst), I could drive it more to it's characteristics.

Daytona International Speedway_5.jpg

Daytona International Speedway_6.jpg

Feeling kinda high, man...

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg

Jack lights it up off the line

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_1.jpg
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_3.jpg

Weighing in at over 2300kgs, the Ram is by no means a small vehicle. It's also relatively sluggish off the line. But once it gets up to speed, it's pretty good! I had fun hammering it around Bathurst, trying to catch @todally_lit as he slowly but surely pulled away. I gained a lot of ground on him in the final corner though, one more lap and I'd have had him! (How many times do we say that every week? :lol:)
All in all, no it's not going to set any lap records, but boy is it fun! Sleeper 👍
I'm not sure what to do with my Ram now. Do I keep hooning around in it stock, or do I tune it.. Decisions, decisions!!!!

I shall return in a few hours with this week's car!

Last edited:
So really, what else was I to do but purchase a Dodge Ram? Finally, a large, monstrous vehicle to cruise around in and intimidate the turds. But really, my expectations weren't high. The only other pickup I've driven is the SSR, and you all know how that went down. Now, the first thing I didn't get my head around is that the Ram's 4WD. I know, it's even got a sizable badge proudly announcing to everyone behind it that the power is being delivered to all four wheels, but for some reason it didn't click in my brain, and I kept driving it like it was rear wheel drive. Not that it entirely mattered, I mean most of the racing I joined in on Tuesday was around ovals. But still when I got it in my thick head that it was 4WD (Whilst hammering around Bathurst), I could drive it more to it's characteristics.

Hmmm! 4WD? I didn't realize it as I was driving the Ram, AND I would have expected a pickup truck with "4WD" would have a locked center diff which makes it pretty much useless in anything but mud and snow. My experience with 4WD on an American pickup comes from driving a Ford F150, which will, upon turning in 4WD mode, shudder and shake while making a turning arc of *much* greater radius than would be expected in 2WD mode.

In my experience, if a badge reads "AWD" it means that there's an LSD in the center diff, and 4WD means locked center diff. Not sure whether the Ram has two modes: locked center diff and open/lsd center diff, of which Grand Tourismo uses the open/lsd mode.

Will have to look that up.

Aha!
from the "dodgeram.info" site:

"For 2004, Dodge Ram gains more versatility with a new full-time four-wheel drive system and electric shift transfer case. The full-time system delivers 48 percent of the torque to the front wheels and 52 percent to the rear wheels under normal driving conditions. The system includes a locking transfer case that features four-wheel drive "high" and "low" modes."

this "new full-time four-wheel drive system" was an option on the Laramie - I guess that's the one ordered by GT6.

Before the new car is announced, I'm gonna steal @Baron Blitz Red's job real quick and announce the results for the "You can Ram it anywhere you like when" Playing With TT's event!

1st: @Nismonath5 1:02.226
2nd: @Draggon 1:02 446

We thought for sure that unless Baron and Rob figured out that we'd taken turns slipstreamed eachother, we'd have 1st and 2nd secured. Turns out they didn't even try challenging us... Ah well.

In any case, this week's car pick goes to Jack!

Congratulations @JackRyanWMU!!!!!

We've based car selections on Formula 1 before, let's give another racing series some recognition, shall we?

@McClarenDesign might argue that there's no other racing series worth recognising... But then, I'm not McD, am I? Go ahead caller!

Congratulations, Jordan & Ricky Taylor!

http://www.imsa.com/news/062017/sti...rothers-make-it-five-straight-detroit-victory

These two brothers, driving a team owned by their father Wayne, won their fifth straight IMSA WeatherTech Series race in Detroit last weekend. This stretch of victories includes the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring.
So it only seems appropriate that this week's selection is...

The 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe!!!!!
121029906.jpg

V8, rear wheel drive, supercharged and plenty of weight to throw around! Previous experiences in other similar cars tell me this could either go very right or very wrong...

Never driven one personally, but daaaamn that race car though!!!
2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car 2.jpg
01-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-race-car.jpg

See you guys all on Tuesday!

The Ram is one of those undervalued cars in this game's library. I mean, yeah, it's a big, lumbering pickup truck. But that sheer mass gives it a big perk: incredible grip. Stripped down and tuned right, the Ram could haul arse faster than the equivalent 4wd sedans.

It's still a big, ugly truck.

Neutral.

Before the new car is announced, I'm gonna steal @Baron Blitz Red's job real quick and announce the results for the "You can Ram it anywhere you like when" Playing With TT's event!

1st: @Nismonath5 1:02.226
2nd: @Draggon 1:02 446

We thought for sure that unless Baron and Rob figured out that we'd taken turns slipstreamed eachother, we'd have 1st and 2nd secured. Turns out they didn't even try challenging us... Ah well.

In any case, this week's car pick goes to Jack!

Congratulations @JackRyanWMU!!!!!

@McClarenDesign might argue that there's no other racing series worth recognising... But then, I'm not McD, am I? Go ahead caller!

The 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe!!!!!
View attachment 653337

V8, rear wheel drive, supercharged and plenty of weight to throw around! Previous experiences in other similar cars tell me this could either go very right or very wrong...

Never driven one personally, but daaaamn that race car though!!!
View attachment 653338 View attachment 653339

See you guys all on Tuesday!

It's amazing that Ricky and Jordan Taylor have one 5 straight wins in Weathertech Sports Car Championship. I'm curious how they will do this weekend at Le Mans. The Cadillac CTS-V Race car is pretty cool and it still does quite well in the Perilli World Championship. As far as I know Project Cars and Forza Motorsport are the only two games that have that race car

Slick Black Cadillac...

6L3jGeB.jpg

Thankfully, this GM product did better in our COTW world than the Chevy CHOKEvette did at LeMans... ;). Although I'm usually not a fan of big heavy cars, this one did well to hide it's weight even in stock form. It did surprisingly well for handling, even on tighter twisty tracks but I'll admit to losing control of it at Monaco more often than not. In stock trim, it shined at open tracks like Willow Springs and others of the sort.

Tuning really brings out the handling aspect of the car, as I used it quite a bit in the last 550pp Seasonal event at Nurburgring. There it surprised me even more, as tuned it would be a Sleeper in my mind. Here at COTW headquarters however, I'll be giving it a Neutral status as it does show faults here and there... but not even close enough to call it anything worse. It is impressive for its weight though!

Nice pick!

Cheers

When golfing, be sure to bring a Caddy....
Oh, and that bloke that helps you with your clubs and stuff.

Ronda.jpg

Everything's bigger in the US of A. Cars, food, conspiracies...

Cadillac. Unfortunately, one of those grossly under-represented manufacturers in Gran Turismo. Not that I, as a JDM guy, lose any sleep over that fact, but as a world renouned racing simulator you'd think PD would add in a choice of cars from each manufacturer, as opposed to one or two. Like, when you go to all the effort of acquiring the licensing for a manufacturer, you think you'd try get your money's worth and cram as many models from that name as you can!

Anyways. The CTS-V, let's get into it. Being American, you can instantly expect three things...
-Front engine, rear wheel drive
-Eight cylinders
-Heavy
And you'd be right! With the heart of a Corvette, rear wheel powaaaaaaahhhhhh and no shortage of weight to throw around, the CTS-V is indeed the personification of American sports cars. Now, the thing about heavy cars is they ususally have really soft suspension. This being a comfort feature, doesn't exactly help on the racetrack. In fact, the added bodyroll and the weight usually couple together to result in... you guessed it, going sideways! Now, there is a flip side to this. If you're not getting oversteer, then you're getting understeer. THAT's what troubled me on Tuesday. Make no mistake, I had some incredible races, especially at LeMans with Monty, that was some of the best damn driving I've seen in a while! (If you haven't already, check out my Showdown at LeMans video, at about the 1:35 mark, he attempts and executes an overtake on a pretty hairy section of track! :eek:)

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013_1.jpg

Circuit de la Sarthe 2013.jpg

Street racing

I didn't get much mileage in the CTS-V on Tuesday, but I thrashed it around Mt. Nismo later in the week and you really can't deny it's got some welly! If you can get it a decent handling package, I reckon you'll surprise some Supras, baffle some BMW's or intimidate some Imprezas. As @Baron Blitz Red mentioned, a little tuning really works wonders. Lower it, stiffen the springs, and crank in a little bit or camber to help the turn-in, and you'd be surprised at the improvement! The next port of call would obviously be weight reduction, not sure how light you can make it but as I sit here on my couch, I'd imagine it would still be pretty heavy, maybe 1300-1500kgs? Still, much better than just under two tonnes..

I had some really enjoyable runs in the CTS-V. Honest, I did. It's just minor mistakes or lapses in concentration that kept me from snatching any wins. This means I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Maybe I'll drive it some more and get back to y'all on that one...
Verdict: TBC... :boggled:

Back soon with the new car!

Right, I'm back, and this week, filming is wrapping up for my short film production. Just a few more scenes to shoot and I can get to work with editing. There will be energy drinks. There will be many hours of seclusion. There won't be sleep.

But forget that, you guys are all waiting for a car and by gum, a car you shall get!

@Racer283!!!! You got something for us?

I'm pretty sure I do. It's been a while since I chose the last car and it's close to Le Mans weekend I figured instead of doing the triple threat, I would go for...

nissan-r390-gt1.png

The 1998 Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car!!!!!

Due to the conclusion of filming this week, I may not be joining you guys on Tuesday. However, I have set up some TT events, and I'll try to join in those. The Cadillac will be hooning around the Rome Circuit, while the R390 will be waiting for you on Cape Ring.

Happy racing, people! :cheers:

Probably not gonna have the time to do any sort of review of the R390. Got work, filming and a mate's 18th, and Sunday I'll most likely spend it with Rhi, actually taking the opportunity to not be freaking out over deadlines or figuring out logistics. :boggled:

One thing I will say is I wasn't really feeling the whole tuning thing on Tuesday. I mean I see the idea, I see why it might have potential, but I just prefer running stock. Nice close racing, victory determined purely by skill, and you don't have to quickly try trolling through the internet looking for a competitive tune.

Just my two cents' on the matter. :)

One thing I will say is I wasn't really feeling the whole tuning thing on Tuesday. I mean I see the idea, I see why it might have potential, but I just prefer running stock. Nice close racing, victory determined purely by skill, and you don't have to quickly try trolling through the internet looking for a competitive tune.

Just my two cents' on the matter. :)

Ya sorry 'bout that... that was my fault, thinking that it might be something "different" for people to enjoy, but your right, as the majority of the time was waiting for people to get settings adjusted, then more time as someone would figure their settings weren't right and adjust those.

Lesson learned...the hard way as always.

Cheers

Ya sorry 'bout that... that was my fault, thinking that it might be something "different" for people to enjoy, but your right, as the majority of the time was waiting for people to get settings adjusted, then more time as someone would figure their settings weren't right and adjust those.

Cheers
Don't be sorry man... good to come up with new ideas, try them out and see if they work! Im guessing that's how AGS started, and that's an essential aspect of COTW nowadays :D

Cheers

It was OK, no worries, other than the time spent I enjoyed it, more of a challenge. When I dropped my lousy 5 minute on-the-spot tune for another car that had a @praiano63 tune I picked up a win at Mt. Nismo. I've learned to always have a tuned car available since we usually loosen up the regs on Saturday.

Just for the sake of transparency, I was originally the host on Tuseday as per usual, but Ted Thomas had other ideas. :rolleyes:

And rather than play a round of hot potato to get me back to the hosting role, I let Baron run it for the night how he liked so any minor gripes felt fall at my feet.

But yeah, In most cases we run them bone stock on Tuesdays and then on the Saturdays I slowly relax the rules to coincide with the weekend. :D

Now that's sorted, Time for me to yet again do a months worth of catch up on my reviews. :lol:

So let's start with the Blue Boxer Bruiser, The Subaru WRC Rally Car '03.

With well over 300hp from its 2.0 litre Turbo Flat 4, it's pretty potent, but because WRC cars are restricted on max power via restrictors, they tune these engines for absolute torque and response so you'll find WRC cars like the Impreza are quite more torquey than cars with similar power.

Of course to get the absolute most out of it, short shifting just after hitting peak power instead of at the redline is vital which are fellow auto runners can't do and the differences were clear as day.

Handling was as expected, very grippy due to the aero package, grippy tyres, reworked chassis and 4WD system, but even as the grip was taken away from me via the AGS rule, the car still held on in the turns.

Like mentioned before it's main falling down point is on sound, but to be fair, the WRC Impreza Prototype sounded worse so i'm not too worried about it.

All in all, as early 2000 WRC cars go, you can't go wrong with '03 Impreza WRC.

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

From competitive 4WD to work horse 4WD in the form of the Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab.

Now on the face of things, this looks like it'll be an easy Beater, but if you're the sort of person who reads the headlines of a story and doesn't read the whole thing for context and facts then, (A) you'll look like an idiot for being told stuff that you would've known had you actually read the whole thing, and (B) you'll miss out on the capabilities of the Dodge Ram. :P

Despite weighing well over 2 tons, running on CS tyres and a chassis that shouldn't be anywhere near a track, its deceptively good at cornering.

Yes there's understeer, but nowhere near the sort you're expecting from such a vehicle.

Acceleration is ok, but not pulse raising courtesy of its 5.7 litre Hemi V8 making around 350hp and long ratioed 5 speed gearbox and brick like aerodynamics.

Racing such a vehicle was quite fun and when we weren't trying to Dodge each other or trying to avoid Ramming the wall, the racing was actually quite close at times. :sly::D

So if you took the Ram at face value, it's a beater, but to those who spent time driving it, its like a Sumo wrestler doing the Moonwalk, it shouldn't be possible, but its still defying physics right there in front of you. :lol:

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

From one heavy American to a slightly less heavy one, introducing the 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. :)

A coupe version of the original 4 door CTS-V and packing the same 6.2 litre supercharged V8 which also saw duty in the last generation ZL1 and making around 570-580hp.

Still a heavyweight at 1.9 tons, The Caddy is does well to hide its weight with the odd sign here and there showing otherwise.

Packing a 6 speed gearbox and sending the power to the back, the caddy showed once again that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover when it comes to driving it.

Handles great for the most part and with a swift turn of the wheel and a leadfoot, can go sideways very well and the cars power and torque help keep it there.

It can be a real split personality car depending on said leadfoot, from smoking everyone out at Mid Field or surprising the living daylights out of Jack and Nismo at Monza, It can be serious or playful and it lets you decide which you want. ;)

Once again, another heavyweight sleeper from the US of A. 👍

And now back to Japan for something more exclusive, Welcome to the Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car.

Built as a homologation model for the late 90's GT1 class, the R390 and even the Toyota GT One Road Car were clear examples of manufactures slightly taking the mick with the rules for GT1 Racing.

The two main rules were that the cars had to have a road car built and had to have room for a standard size suitcase.

Both the R390 and GT-One were cheeky in the fact that they built only one road car to satisfy the first rule and not sell the car to the public, But Toyota then showed how cheeky they were willing to be.

Toyota managed to convince the ACO officials that the fuel tank when empty before scrutiny was theoretically big enough to hold the suitcase in. :crazy:

By exploting the rules to different degrees, Nissan, Toyota and Mercedes essentially brought prototypes into the GT1 class.

But back to the R390, contrary to what I just said about there being only one R390 Road Car, the Red R390 from GT2 was the original R390 and the only R390 road car to have the "short tail" version which later got converted to race spec for the 1997 Le Mans 24.

The "long tail" R390 we have is heavily underrated on power, its twin turbo V8 makes a Lotus Esprit equivalent 350hp but other games like Forza have the car at 550hp. :eek:

Gearing from its 6 speed sequential box is short and the peak power drops well before redline so it's another short shift hero.

Of course it being a low powered GT1 racer in road trim, handling was decent and was quite forgiving to drive.

It was overall a good car, not outstanding by any means, but history shows that some tuning can turn it into a very capable car for the seasonal events.

Verdict: Neutral ;)

Yup, I was right, I've had very little time to myself this week, and that means the R390 is getting a miss from me. :( For that, I apologize.

The good news is I have the next car all lined up, bright and early!

Congratulations @ToyGTone!!!!!

...Before I carry on, I told someone I'd run their idea for COTW by the members, so here goes! How about, for the entire month of July, we race nothing but JDM cars, and call it #JDMJuly?
8041023401_49d0131e5b_b.jpg

Hey, hey, put down the torches and pitchforks guys, I'm only the messenger! :scared:
Seriously though, he asked, I said I'd put it to the group, aaannnd... I declare my service fulfilled! Moving on!

Wait...GT6 COTW right!? :bowdown:

Yeah. Should have specified that one, I forget that @Obelisk's FH3 COTW is a thing. Primarily because I don't have an Xbox...

Do you have any list of cars you haven't done yet? Since the list time the Original post was updated was on February earlier this year.

Yeah, funny that.... Has it been that long already? :confused:

Have you done...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (AE86 Shuichi Shigeno Version) ’00!!!!!

In the books, this thing could take on RX-7s, Supras, R32s, you name it! In GT6? Well, bring along a variety of 90's sports cars and let's find out!
This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Autumn Ring, the perfect place to kick some slides! And the event's already prepared, going live tomorrow! How's that for prepared-ness?!

Now goodnight, it's midnight, I should have done this tomorrow morning but hey what's done is done. See y'all Tuesday!

Back