Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The Supercar that should've been...

8F5r5ME.jpg

Yet another car demonstrates the "shoulda coulda woulda been" saying to a tee... why oh why this wasn't brought into production is a mystery to me. Even if it was a limited run of 50 units, I would bet they would've been pre-sold to anxious buyers around the globe. Given the TWR connection to the car, there probably would've been fist fights just to get on the list of potential buyers.

dUVlbBa.jpg

Even with the underrated power numbers of the Gran Turismo road car version, it does offer supercar performance. And of course, tuning it just brings out the monster in her to light. It can certainly hang with the best cars in her class, but as @Vic Reign93 showed, it is a car that has to be driven via manual transmission. Short shifting her as he was on Tuesday night (Wednesday am for him), left me feeling like I did back when I first joined the crew in the online racing aspect of the COTW world... really slow and in desperate need of improving.

wWupEtK.jpg

I had also forgotten just how insane the race version could be at FULL power. At 690ish pp with just shy of 1,100 hamsters running at heart attack inducing speed, she is quick to say the least. There are quicker LMP cars out there, but in her own GT1 class, she is a valid contender up against the German or British monsters she was built to fight.

For me, it's yet another must have in my garage... Sleeper and a Keeper vote from yours truly here.

Cheers

eX4eTP3.jpg

If you're a driving enthusiast living in American farm country, you'll be all too familiar with this sight. Want to see the road ahead? Tough luck, you're stuck behind a pickup truck hauling no cargo with a guy at the wheel who thinks the ideal driving position is "Put the seat all the way back and stretch myself out to put one hand on the 12 O'Clock spot."

Credit where it's due to the Dodge Ram, it handles far better than a full-size pickup should have any right to. That said, you'll never forget the fact that you are in a massive, high-center of gravity vehicle. There's a reason why these vehicles are barred from track day events.

WnYbQhC.jpg

"You're gonna have a bad time."
It's not bad enough to be a Beater, but I wouldn't have it my garage ever. I've ranted before on my annoyances with needlessly over-sized pickups so I won't repeat my grievances here.

vLvqb6m.jpg

Now that we've passed that obstacle, here's a car I wish far more of my fellow country-men would drop $50,000+ on rather than "Just another overpriced pickup that will never have cargo in its bed or a trailer attached to it." Indeed, this Cadillac isn't your Grandad's Cadillac. It isn't even your older brother's Cadillac. While the Escalade is still there for those baby boomers who want a soft and floaty ride, the CTS-V feels like Detroit's Joe Louis stepping into the boxing ring against its German luxury sports opponents. It has brute force like you'd expect from a Muscle Car but it also has agility that will catch challengers off-guard.

And yes, speaking of being caught off guard....

EjGMxyG.jpg

Vic be like: "That's a nice duel for the lead you and Nismonath got going on there."

LQ1GOIt.jpg

"It would be a shame...."

lAP9SBl.jpg

"....if someone...."

xnZIwf9.jpg

"....took that lead for himself."
I do think the sedan version of the CTS-V looks better than the coupe, but that's about the only niggle I have about this car. It has the classic V-8 rear-drive formula down-pat, yet you could take this to a night at the opera and it wouldn't look out of place. A beautiful Sleeper.

Last edited:
Here's the officially unofficial results for the double shot of Playing with TT's events...

"There's still enough room in the Caddy to be comfy while Playing with TT's"...

Monty_YNOS-j: 1:16.445

BaronBlitzRed: 1:16.603

G_ASHER: 1:16.974

"You really don't have to be Ninja quick to be Playing with TT's"...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:46.675

G_ASHER: 2:49.271

Rob_on_Drums: 2:50.442

Cheers

So I just took this little Trueno for a spin, and it ended up beating an Alfa 8C. Now, the A.I. drivers aren't exactly the best, but that got me thinking.

This thing's famous for sticking it to the more powerful cars. So what if we challenged it to find out what kind of cars it can and can't beat online? Stock settings obviously, but throughout the course of the night, we may want to gradually up the PP limit and see what sort of cars the S.S. Trueno can beat. Obviously the tracks we race on will also play a part in those battles, but some of you might like to bring along some comparisons, like early shape Evos, RX-7s, Imprezas, heck I'll even bring along an '89 R32 for some fun! :sly:

Just a thought!

So I just took this little Trueno for a spin, and it ended up beating an Alfa 8C. Now, the A.I. drivers aren't exactly the best, but that got me thinking.

This thing's famous for sticking it to the more powerful cars. So what if we challenged it to find out what kind of cars it can and can't beat online? Stock settings obviously, but throughout the course of the night, we may want to gradually up the PP limit and see what sort of cars the S.S. Trueno can beat. Obviously the tracks we race on will also play a part in those battles, but some of you might like to bring along some comparisons, like early shape Evos, RX-7s, Imprezas, heck I'll even bring along an '89 R32 for some fun! :sly:

Just a thought!
The 86 SS is lightning fast for what it is, I like it lol

The World's Most Famous Sleeper!
Time to deliver some Tofu...
Grand Valley East.jpg

Featherweight flyers!!!

I will admit, seeing this thing for the first time back in GT4, I was caught off guard. I had just read the first Initial D book, and been amazed reading about the little Trueno's ability, so to spy this thing in the late 90's used dealer, where I could try it's amazingness for myself was a welcome surprise. (I know it was first featured in GT3, but I got GT4 first.) It was a bit more expensive than it's base model, at $50,000, so obviously I had high expectations that its performance would justify this price tag. However, with a lack of twisty mountain streets to race, it didn't quite have the same appeal. This week though, I gave it another shot. I bought it, did one offline race to make sure it wasn't set on a mission to kill me, then joined the lobby...

Apricot Hill Raceway.jpg
Apricot Hill Raceway_7.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_6.jpg Apricot Hill Raceway_5.jpg
Someone ordered ten trunk-loads of Tofu, express delivery!

Right from the get-go, I found the SS Trueno surprisingly easy to battle in. With no TCS, SH tyres and barely any previous experience, I found it lively and agile, capable of fighting for a win straight away. And fight I did. I made it to second, but when I started to push for the lead, that's when I discovered the Trueno's wild side. You see, the Trueno handles like a dream when you push hard. Push too hard, however, and it quickly steps out on you.

There's a fine line between holding a corner and losing it, and finding that line can be difficult in the heat of combat. When you do however, unless you're quick to rectify your mistakes, it can be costly. I also tried a bit too hard at Bathurst, with one of my dirtiest performances to date at the mountain! Sorry about that, lads. Guess I put too much faith in the Trueno's abilities too early on in the night.

Apricot Hill Raceway_2.jpg

I try to get ahead, only to slide and lose ground.

I realise though, that's with no TCS. I'm not sure what difference 1 TCS would have made, but throughout the night I simply didn't feel the need to put it on. The Trueno's light, it has modest power and it's got a light, easy feel to it, so I felt quite comfortable with no TCS, I just had to be a bit more on my game. It did however betray me on the second to last corner at Apricot Hill... But as disappointing as the end was, that was still an epic race!

Apricot Hill Raceway_4.jpg

Wheeeeee!!!!!

I quite enjoyed the whole night's racing. Fast, close and plenty of movers and shakers. But what I'm sure everyone wants to know is what advantages does the S.S. have over it's stock counterparts? What justifies the $50k price tag? Well, for your money you get a hefty power boost, a sizeable chunk of weight removed, a revised handling package and a visual upgrade in the form of a panda colour scheme, complete with black hood. It doesn't sound like much but boy it feels so much more lively than the base model!

Make no mistake, the S.S. Trueno is slow by most standards. But the manouverability, light, zippy feel and character is unlike any other car I've driven in GT6! A true sleeper! 👍
(As for videos, I'll likely get around to it on Thursday. Thursday seems to be my "Content creation" day.)

I know I'm late, but happy Canada day!!

Right, now all my deadlines are this week, so this reveal's gonna be real quick!
Congratulations @RobboGTAddict!!!!

I scanned the list to see if we've driven it before and I don't see it. We need cylinders. 12 of them

*a few hours later*

On second thought.... hold off on the car!

Since Tuesday is Independence Day in my country, I want to pick an American hot rod. That beast will be...

The 2008 (SRT) Dodge Viper ACR!!!!!

2008-dodge-viper-srt10-acr.jpg

Choosing a British car (on the anniversary of us telling the king where to stick it) would be uncivilized. What was I thinking.

And there you have it folks. Some American V10 goodness to wrestle around a track!
This week's Playing With TT's was going to take place at Laguna Seca, but then when I looked at the event I created later, it's picked a user-created track! :boggled: Sooooo, hope it's drive-able for y'all.. Crap I'm tired... Off now for a hibernation! See you Tuesday!

This week's Playing With TT's was going to take place at Laguna Seca, but then when I looked at the event I created later, it's picked a user-created track! :boggled: Sooooo, hope it's drive-able for y'all.. Crap I'm tired... Off now for a hibernation! See you Tuesday!

It IS Laguna Seca Nate.

Well last week's car was most definitely an improvement over the base model Toyota, but it still gets a Neutral status from me. Why you ask? Simply due to the fact that GT6 considers it a Tuner car, as it's not allowed in "Normal car" events. There it stands alone really... not much Tuner competition at this PP level tbh. Not to my memory anyways. Did like the fact that you could paint it though... 👍👍

Cheers

Gonna be missing tonight's meet, last one I promise! The short film is due in two days, and Im editing every chance I get! Next week is holidays, and I've specifically asked for Wednesdays off work so I can join you guys for the whole meet. :D

Well if you guys decide to meet up, I won't be there as Thursdays are one of my morning shifts.

On a COTW related note, I should be able to get the reviews for the AE86 SS and the Viper done hopefully before the end of the week. :)

Late notice, but I will make a COTW lobby in half an hour if there's enough interest :)

Edit: Got home, and a thunderstorm struck. Lightning literally in my backyard. Yeahhh, mildly terrifying! Sorry people!

Last edited:
Badly beaten with an American Club... Racer

NjXDLUb.jpg

This week saw us driving the "ultimate" street legal Viper... the 2008 ACR. According to the Car Info section, it was built to take on the ZR-1 Corvette for the title of THE American Sports Car as well as the fastest production car record on the famous Nurburgring in 2008. Now in my mind, this is my favourite Viper. It's got the looks and the handling to make it so. Even stock it's pretty decent when compared to the newer 2013 model, and when tuned, it of course shines brightly.

You can drive it just as aggressively as it looks... but beware of the logo and it's name, as it will bite you viciously with deadly results being very possible. Even with the touted weight savings of the stock version adding up to the astounding 18 kg's less than the normal Viper :odd:, it's still a hefty 1,500+ kilo car... it needs braking room to slow down from the speeds it can and will achieve.

Even with my personal tune, it needed aggressive numbers to tame it somewhat, compared to other tunes I've either used or made up for other cars of similar weight and power. But man oh man... it can GO! It's hard to give it a Sleeper rating, given the fact it IS a Viper... and with the high 580pp rating it has before the oil change, it has elite company. There's a bevy of full out race cars, let alone super cars in the range of 560 to 600pp. But for an American sports car, it can hang with its European counterparts quite easily.

Bleeep it all... Sleeper and a Keeper rating from me!!!

Cheers

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!
Aaaaaaaarrgghh!!!!!

Indianapolis Road Course.jpg

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!
Aaaaargh!!!

Indianapolis Road Course_1.jpg

Aaaaaaaarrghhhhhhhh!!!

Indianapolis Road Course_2.jpg

aaand, that concludes my review of the Viper. It's terrifying. :lol:

Now then, I haven't contacted anyone to pick a new car, so I'll take it this week.

Congratulations @Nismonath5!!!

Most of you know that the week we raced the Ford Mustang Boss 302 goes down in history as one of my favourite weeks in COTW. The racing was great, I really enjoyed myself and the car felt amazing! It also helps that it was the first week I was able to really stick it to the more experienced drivers...

Matterhorn Riffelsee_1.jpg

Yeehaa, you stay back there, Vic!!!

Well, this week let's supercharge that action and go again!

2013-Ford-Shelby-GT500-front-three-quarters.jpg

It's the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500!!!!

From one snake to another! Get ready for another week of high power, rear wheel drive, American action! This week's PlayingWith TT's will be at Mid-Field, a track which I realised we haven't actually driven much lately! And since I'm on holiday now, I'll be able to join you guys from the start on Tuesday! (I seriously hope. It's about time I did, I strongly dislike showing up only to have like three races before everyone disappears...)

By the time this review is done it'll be the start of next week, but considering i'm starting this before midnight I'm counting this as being done this week like I said I would. :P

Ok, we'll start with Americas original supercar the Dodge Viper, more specifically the ACR variant from 2008.

Packing a whopping 8.4 V10 (Still holds the record for Biggest Mass production engine IIRC.)which is making 600hp and is sent to rear via a 6 speed manual.

The Coupe version is a genuine 200mph machine, but courtesy of the ACR's high downforce package the top speed is around 175mph, but what it loses out in top end it gains back and much more on a track.

With 1000 pounds of downforce at 150mph, sticky street legal tyres and revised suspension, the ACR is a track animal in both senses of the word.

One being from @Nismonath5's side of things in that it's still a Dodge Viper, It's still a car that doesn't tolerate fools and if you overstep the line it won't second guess itself in smoking it's tyres and throwing you into the nearest gravel trap. :D

The other sense of the word is from my side in that if tamed, It'll reward you with immense grip and rapid lap times.

Could it be better? Yes, but that would require making the ACR less streetable and it's already pushing it on that front. :P

But as it is, It's an effective example of what happens when you take a temperamental car and focus it on performance, especially with the more recent ACR which has double(!!:eek:)the levels of downforce in full Extreme Aero Package trim and the lesser mentioned ACR-X which is based on the '08 ACR, but more powerful, lighter and not street legal.

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

Ok, I'll simplify this review for the Toyota AE86 SS.

Lightweight RWD, very rev happy NA 4 cylinder making over 200hp + large number of decent drivers = Battles up and down the order all night. :cheers:

Net profit?? Smiles all around and the new leader in the "Smiles per gallon" category.( separate reward idea I'm planning to introduce.:sly: )

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

As for next weeks vic.. I mean car, It would be a all planets aligned deal if we can get through next week without anyone getting killed.

I mean our COTW insurance doesn't cover spectators being mown down after all. :lol:

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "Convince her to be a Snake Charmer while you're Playing with TT's" event...

Well I was feeling pretty confident about this one, so I responded to @Draggon 's room title with this:

yVfmhrH.jpg

Thankfully the results didn't embarrass me... :embarrassed: ;)

BaronBlitzRed: 1:30.359

G_ASHER: 1:31.642

Rob_on_Drums: 1:32.072

Cheers

Back