Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

My review on the Skyline's pretty simple, here goes...

The Skyline GT-R R32 Vspec N1 offers all the advantages you'd expect from a GT-R. Loads of grip, a good launch, and you can get some pretty good power figures out of it. However the only thing making the N1 special are some better brakes and a white paint job. So really, it's a beater. Just get the premium model already!

Aaaaanyways, I'm gonna do another review now, but this one is different... See, a while back we reviewed the '01 Nissan Primera 20V. Well, I'm gonna review it again... but this time in real life! I attended a race day yesterday, and was given the keys to one. So, I took it on the track and gave it a thrashing!

Car Of The Week In Real Life!!!!
If only this could be every week...

As I said in my GT6 review of the car, the 20V is as bland and boring looking as the regular P12, but it conceals a 2.0L SR20 4 cylinder with VVL, good for just over 200bhp. It's the epitome of sleepers, and the most unassuming performance car you could drive.

The first thing I'll point out is there's only a few subtle hints that this thing is a pretty gutsy car, not a dull boring CVT runabout.

20170729_145337.jpg

1. A small Autech badge

20170729_165020.jpg

2. The gear stick has a few extra numbers on it..

20170729_164955.jpg

3. ...and so does the tach!

It only cost $6k, and comes with a full "Super Premium" visual package, complete with fully modelled engine bay, underside, boot, working radio, air con... :lol:

So, how was it hammering the 20V around Pukekohe Park?
Firstly, I really wish I'd made a vid! I was gonna make an in-car video of me showing the Primera no mercy, but I came in from my second stint and found out that it was my last. :mad:

Anyways, it was amazing! The acceleration was incredible and the handling was amazing for a car on road tyres and with all the road trim still in it! I was on track with a group of Japanese drivers in a DC5 Integra, Evo X, S2000, EG Civic, and a few other JDM weapons, all kitted with various go-faster bits and bobs. And the 20V matched them, I even overtook a few of them, only to have them come to the car afterwards, rip open the hood and exclaim "I ****ING KNEW IT!!!!" in amazement.

20170729_113312.jpg

The Japanese. A DC5, some MRSs, an S2K.... and a 350Z amongst other wheels.

As for speed, most of the track was done in 3rd or 4th, only dipping down to 2nd twice a lap (Turns 5 and 7). I didn't have a GPS in the car so I can't tell you my definite fastest speed but while enduring the bumps and jumps down the front straight I saw the needle hit 175km/h (108mph) before I chickened out and dabbed the brakes so I'd survive the sweeper... I did also have a DC2 right up my arse, so I didn't exactly want to wipe out right in front of him..

The sound was like nothing you'd ever expect from a boring family sedan. Outside it sounded like nothing special, but inside... Like I said, really wish I'd made a video! The feeling of giving this thing all-hell was epic! Nothing beats the feeling of hurtling down the back straight at 160km/h, braking at the 150m mark, back to 3rd at 100m, back to 2nd at 50m, then throwing it into the corner... It's what I live for!
At only $6k, you can't complain! Here's a family car you can take the kiddies to school, but also out-drag a DC5 Integra Type R! SLEEPER!!! 👍

I'll be back with a car tomorrow!

More Monaco Memories of the Skyline there...

Celebrating all things Vic this week, he pulled out my personal favourite of the R32's... the '93 V-Spec N1! For me, the R32 defined the JDM scene of the era... distinctive styling with an unmistakable rear end wrapped up in a fairly small package armed with an amazingly bullet-proof engine, further complemented by the incomparable ATTESA system. This was THE car I wanted at the time!!!

CPynMbU.jpg

However my wants were not to be realised, as it was UNAVAILABLE here in North America! :( Sure, nowadays you can import one over, as I've seen a number of them cruising around the area's roadways... but the technological advantages are long gone, even if you can find one in good condition. Still, my heart stutters when I do lay eyes on one of the several examples rolling around. Ahhh, if only...

70AWBnq.jpg

Of all the Skylines, the R32 was the embodiment of the JDM's potential... a true Sleeper in a fairly nondescript yet distinct body. If you didn't know of it's reputation, you were left crying on the side of the road as your car was made into a memory soon to be forgotten, almost as quickly as the dust fell from behind it's rear wheels. :mischievous: That's the definition of a true Sleeper. "WTF just happened?!?" was the most posed question after you lost your car, if those were the stakes.

This week saw some good racing as per usual, with some very close finishes. Saturday was no exception, as Vic and I tore up the streets of Monaco in one race. Fitting in my mind, as so many memories have been made there... we had a tightly contested session witnessed by a stranger to the COTW realm. As @Vic Reign93 aptly put it, "a Hollywood ending" made with a 0.026 second difference in the end!!!

LmRiARx.jpg

Even though his induction to our Hall of Fame came without the deserved fanfare worthy of such an event, it's racing like that which cements it's importance. Those are the races I crave, as the importance of the win falls to the wayside... being a part of it is the true reward. Thank you Sir!!! I hope we continue to witness more of what sets you apart from the majority... good, clean racing backed up with the skills most could only wish to have!!!

Sleeper and a Keeper
, in all senses of the word!!! Just like the car! ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
So this week, I ran out of data. Yeah. All 120Gb gone. Personally, I don't get why the family's paying $90 for 120Gb, when we could switch to another place and get unlimited for $75.... :boggled:

...wait, what? Oh yeah! The new car!

Congratulations @BAP_Shockz!!!!!!

Since he's making a return to the club after however long it's been, what better way to get involved than by picking a car?

Oh geee, considering how many cars have already been tested, i don't have that many choices do I?

Well, errr, we've reviewed about 180-ish cars. GT6 has 1200 cars. I know we probably won't review every Skyline or MX-5, but there's still plenty of choices! :dopey:

Hmm, I'm gonna go with the *bleep* if it hasn't been used. :3

Sadly, it has. But, it has a twin, so let's go with that!

120i_1_560px.jpg

It's the 2004 BMW 120i!!!!!

If I recall, the 120d recieved mixed reviews. There wasn't anything wrong with it necessarily, it was just rather bland. Despite looking identical, the 120i features an entirely different performance package, stemming from running on gas rather than diesel. Is it any better or worse than it's diesel counterpart? Let's find out!

This week's Playing With TT's will be at Spa Francorchamps! Also, I probably won't be joining the racing this week. I'll try, but since I'm out of data I've been delegated to dial-up speed, so it may be best if I just sit this one out... I'll still do a review and hopefully the TT though! :sly:

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "How many times did you get caught Playing with TT's in the R32 GTR V-Spec??? None!!!" event...

Victory_Reign93: 1:13.344

chill-audette: 1:14.222

G_ASHER: 1:14.586

Nismonath5: 1:14.673

BaronBlitzRed: 1:15.252

Rob_on_Drums: 1:15.838

Cheers

Last edited:
Went ahead and set an initial benchmark for the 120i. Wasn't expecting the rain, but I tried my best. :D

First impressions?
So far, so meh. It handles well, as you'd expect from a RWD car like this. But I do have one major complaint; 3rd and 4th gear are way, way too long. So long, in fact, that I don't think I've hit 5th once during the entire time I was on Spa. As a result of that, in-gear acceleration is horrid, and since the 120i is much less torquey than its diesel twin, it struggles to even hit the redline (in 4th).

Will be running more speed tests later, but it's shaping up to be a very "meh" car.

EDIT: It takes 9 seconds to get from 0-62, by the way. I'm not surprised at all.

bmw 120i: fun to race

While the 120i does not have enough power to spin the wheels off the line (even on CM), the handling through corners is predictable and controllable. This is most definitely a momentum car and I think the race winners, even those DQ'd ;) , kept their car out in front of the pack by carrying maximum speed through turns and feeding all four squirrels down the straights. The racing was close, fun and challenging. Now there are many faster cars that handle better, but I didn't feel the racing was any less fun in this car - but how, why? I think its the handling at the limits. This car rewards going hot into a turn, scrubbing off speed through application of high slip angle and feeding those squirrels once you're pointed at the exit. ...that's just fun, especially when you're chasing someone down, or are being chased down. Going from CS to CM didn't seem to affect the handling very much and it was still fun. The final race on the Nordschleiffe was epic! While the long straight was a "hum dee dum" minute, the twisty bits were every bit as fun as driving <insert your fav fast fun car here> balls out!

verdict: grocery getter beater

This is most definitely a momentum car and I think the race winners, even those DQ'd ;) , kept their car out in front of the pack by carrying maximum speed through turns and feeding all four squirrels down the straights.

Gotta agree it was fun racing, even though it's still a Beater, just like like the "D" version... recognising the fact you didn't need to brake like the vast majority of cars certainly helped.

Anyhoo... yes, even though some of us got disco'd at some very inopportune times, I felt it appropriate to not take a gifted win because (A) I'm certainly not the first that it's happened to, and (B) coming back after the disco gave me pole position, giving me more than just a fair chance of winning the race that followed, on a track that I'm more than just comfy on.

Even though my disco happened before the "payout screen", I checked the race results, and as I thought, I wasn't even mentioned on the list. Did I win? No doubt. Did it actually count? Not even close. No payday, no stats were added either in the race column, nor the win column. Had I taken the "gifted" win and slapped on the downgraded tires, I would have possibly held up the racers behind me with "normal" rubber because I'd STILL be on pole. That's why I turned it down... thanks for the offer anyways @Vic Reign93 . More than a fair offer in theory, but reality would offer possible havoc in return. Not my idea of fair.

Cheers

Last edited:
After how long, you'd think I'd stop being surprised at Vic's raw speed. Yet I am. Ah well, this is why we HOF'ed him!
Hey, hey. I doubt anyone could be slower than my time right now. :D

You're welcome to re-try as many times as you wish, at the end of the week the fastest of all your times will be picked and used in the results!

Lobbies up now people. :)

Hey hey... ok, found out the reason why my internet took such a massive dive (again)... looks like crews are working on the system in my area. Seems like I can get this message out but my readings are way too low to play without the tracks skipping due to massive lag @Vic Reign93. Just did a speed test for online, and it's about 1/10th of what it should be... looks like I'm out for the next few hours. Sorry bud!

Cheers

Basic BMW!
The car notable for having nothing notable about it...

Syracuse - Night.jpg

"This is what I have to race?"

Syracuse - Night_1.jpg

"You're kidding, right?"

Syracuse - Night_2.jpg

*sigh* You're not kidding...

The BMW 120i is one of those cars that was only added into Gran Turismo 4 because it was late-model at the time, and it's kinda just tagged-along in the background ever since. It's not exactly historically signifigant, nor is it noteworthy for boasting a revelation in automotive technology. It's just sort of an advertisement on BMW's part, "Hey, look at our brand new car!". Some may argue that this is a hot hatch. But is it? I mean, it's a hatchback of course, but is it really a hot hatch? What makes it so hot? It's hardly 150bhp, it's no lightweight, and it's slow. Really, really slow. Whilst road testing this thing at Spa, I never once needed 5th gear. Whoever whacked a 6-speed in it was either daft or really, really ambitious. I personally don't think it's a hot hatch... That being said, it does have one major point of difference within the hatchback class. The drivetrain. Being rear wheel drive as opposed to the front wheel drive you'd expect in your average hatch gives it an appeal to those who either really don't like FF cars, or don't want to conform to social expectations of hatchbacks.

But I'm being quite harsh on the 120i. It does have some redeeming factors. The handling, for instance, was quite sluggish to start with, but after getting used to it I could anticipate it's wallowy characteristics and tackle corners quite confidently. I could also leave the braking to the last minute, though that was only really because it never got up to any particularly exciting speeds in the first place! The rear wheel drive means understeer isn't as much of a problem as you'd expect, but being on comfort tyres means it's still a problem.

All in all, the 120i is really boring to drive. It's not going to snap any underwear elastic, and to be honest the only reason you'd drive one is to cash in on the "rear wheel drive hatchback" thing. As @Baron Blitz Red would say, Beater and forget'r!!

Back soon with a new car!

This week, I forgot to pick a winner. I'm this close to passing my Media Studies course with the highest endorsement, plus there are four other classes with teachers all begging for me to prioritise their class over everyone else. Plus there's the ongoing prospect of what the hell I'm doing next year with my life....

...I have no idea.

But back on topic, I've had this one up my sleeve for a while now, and good news, we can slap McD's name on it!

Congratulations @McClarenDesign!!!!!

...Maybe this will lure him back to the club, ya never know...
car_352_16962_545ba646e0296.jpg

It's the 2004 Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo!!!!

Once the all-dominating Goliath of the franchise, now outpaced by Redbulls, Tomahawks and even Ayrton Senna himself.. Is Gran Turismo's original Formula race car still any good after over ten years' service as GT's "Not-Formula1" car? Let's find out! It comes in a wide range of liveries, so bonus points if everyone has a unique livery during the races! (I got the Castrol livery)

This week's Playing With TT's features two events, the first one set on a faster, wider, more open track, and the other one on a tighter, more technical track. They're both live right now, so get to it! And I have data again, so see you Tuesday!

BMW 120i '04

2.0L
148 hp / 6,000 rpm
147 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,335 kg (2,943 lbs)
368 pp

110 mph in 4th gear at 6,500 rpm was the best it could do at Mid-Field. The diesel managed 114 mph in 5th gear at 4,000 rpm.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:32.748 - 392 - Citroën C5 V6 Exclusive '03
1:32.772 - 382 - Mazda Atenza Sports 23Z '03
1:32.835 - 376 - Toyota Vitz RS Turbo '02
1:32.884 - 372 - Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '93
1:32.898 - 359 - Alpine A310 1600VE '73
1:32.954 - 371 - Nissan Silvia Varietta (S15) '00

1:33.202 - 375 - Mazda Familia Sedan Sport 20 '02
1:33.239 - 369 - Peugeot 206 S16 '99
1:33.243 - 368 - BMW 120i '04
1:33.295 - 370 - Toyota Celica GT-R (ST183, 4WS) '91
1:33.367 - 388 - Toyota WiLL VS '01
1:33.390 - 368 - Nissan Primera 2.0Te '90
1:33.427 - 367 - Toyota Altezza AS200 '98
1:33.477 - 384 - Volkswagen Bora V6 4Motion '01
1:33.576 - 373 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000GT-R (KPGC10) '70
1:33.615 - 371 - Abarth 500 '09
1:33.651 - 376 - Abarth Grande Punto '09
1:33.687 - 370 - Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73
1:33.721 - 379 - Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81

Peugeot 206 S16 ties the BMW. Well I like that S16 more. Toyota's turbocharged Vitz RS '02 is more fun, more reliable, and nearly half a second faster, but BMW's diesel-powered 120d is half a second faster than that, so, get the diesel ok?

Here's the officially unofficial results for "The reason there's no "I" in team is because you're too damn slow for Playing with TT's" event...

Victory_Reign93: 3:09.442

BaronBlitzRed: 3:13.772

G_ASHER: 3:13.775

Nismonath5: 3:14.127

thematic604: 3:19.655

CODEDestro: 3:20.529

Cheers

Here's the officially unofficial results for "The reason there's no "I" in team is because you're too damn slow for Playing with TT's" event...

Victory_Reign93: 3:09.442

BaronBlitzRed: 3:13.772

G_ASHER: 3:13.775

Nismonath5: 3:14.127

thematic604: 3:19.655

CODEDestro: 3:20.529

Cheers

Would have gone ahead and try to set a better time, had it not been for the fact that my controller started acting funny and wouldn't let go of the handbrake. :(

Anyway, nothing much to write about the 120i. It's slow, handles average, but it's pretty okay to look at in a bright red shade. It's a beater no doubt, but I liked punting it around Spa and Sierra. If only the transmission wasn't so long...A 6-speed, really?

Anyway, nothing much to write about the 120i. It's slow, handles average, but it's pretty okay to look at in a bright red shade. It's a beater no doubt, but I liked punting it around Spa and Sierra. If only the transmission wasn't so long...A 6-speed, really?
Probably meant for "quiet" running on the autobahn... fifth so that you can get to 150 km/h or so. 💡

Formula For Victory!!!
Gran Turismo's original F1 car gets driven hard..
Côte d'Azur.jpg

Ash goes through the chicane on four wheels, while Nismo opts for two... wait, what?

I'll admit it. I didn't win the 24hrs of Nurburgring on GT4 to get my FGT. But I still worked my arse off for it! You see, my Uncle gave me his memory card that featured a garage chokka-block full of desireable high-end models, like the Nissan R92CP, Sauber C9, Mazda RX-7 LM Racecar, and of course, the FGT. Thanks to the trade feature, I was able to buy the cars I wanted, providing I had the coin. The FGT was priced at around $6m, and I actually worked out a pretty neat method of racking up the required cash (since GT4 had no seasonal events or quick matches to grind or 200% login bonuses)...

1. Acquire the Mercedes CLK Touring Car
2. Whack a massive turbo on that bad boy!
3. B-Spec the DTM championship (on 3x speed should take about 15 minutes)
4. Sell the CLK GTR prize car for over $700,000 a car!

I'm certain I wasn't the first one to come up with this method, but 10-year-old me thought I'd changed the game forever. Within a few weeks I had most of the top flame-spitting track weapons, and one of them was the FGT. It was glorious. I didn't get one in GT5, because I got GT5 way after the Online Collector's Dealership closed, and when it rarely popped up in the used car dealer, I didn't have the coin! Anyways, in GT6 it's avaliable at any time, for a cool $2 million.

But it feels a lot different than the all-conquering beast I remember! On the stock setup, with weird camber and toe settings and not a lot of downforce, it's really tricky to drive! The line between tackling a corner perfectly and sliding the back out is very, very fine! Surprisingly for a F1 car, it's hungry for tires. With normal tyre wear on, we couldn't last four laps without suffering a near total loss of grip! This meant we actually had to turn off the wear just so we could survive the sprints! With that issue sorted, the racing got a lot closer and cleaner! I had an epic battle with @Draggon and @RobboGTAddict at Monaco, and somehow ended up with the lead! (Upon watching the replay, Rob took to the wall and Ash re-dressed when he didn't necessarily need to)

I was really surprised at just how uncomfortable the FGT is to drive. It's hard to explain, but those of you who have driven it may get what I'm saying: It's either way too understeery (especially when manouvering at low speeds), or way too oversteery (Like when tackling a high speed corner), there doesn't really seem to be a middle ground. Then it hit me. This isn't a car you can just drive for pleasure's sake, it demands you to race it 11/10ths with zero lapses in concentration, whether you're in a world championship or just going for a stroll. It's difficult to drive, sure, but you just can't deny it's sheer speed and ability to blow your mind. 1:35.xxx at Bathurst?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm calling this one a neutral!

edit: I may attempt Autumn Ring TT if I get a spare moment before Monday. If I do then I'll do a vid!

Forgot Graphics Transfer...

6NO85gE.jpg

Well in the past week. we got a taste of speed again... thankfully. Going from a snail's pace that never fully took advantage of all its gears to a car that shifts gears faster than most people can count was a pleasant surprise. Getting used to it was another story however...

Recently in the world of Gran Turismo, we had a Super Lap that showcased the Senna Lotus. Tuned to boot. Since the Super Lap events last just a bit longer than a week, the "muscle memory", for lack of a better description, was still fairly fresh. Hopping into the stock FGT was an eye opener, as the differences were apparent almost instantly. Especially when it took me for a spin or two, maybe three. :odd: "Oh ya... I remember this thing now!"

Back in GT5 (or even GT5 Prologue), we had a bit more variety when it came to F1... remember the Ferrari's??? Oh, how I miss them. That would be a better comparison on a bunch of levels. Especially graphically. Having the FGT up beside the Lotus... well, let's have you decide.

eeQ1uRE.jpg

There's no comparison in my mind really, and it also applies to the handling as well. Apples to apples this is not. Both take getting used to, as the sheer speed plays a factor, and the level of downforce is incomparable against the average car. Unlearning what you are used to can be a challenge in its own right. Which plays right into the hands of the gravity bound aliens that drive them in real life. Skill levels well above the norm are required to pilot these things, let alone master them. Leaving a fancy dinner with lobster and crabs legs and come home to a plate of Kraft Dinner sums up the Lotus vs. the FGT quite nicely.

Still, the FGT does provide a good amount of fun compared to the "average" car... so a Neutral status it shall get from me. But in GT6, if you want F1 action, it's either this...

KKqAc7v.jpg

or this...

ClP34ry.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Since it's no way anything like a sleeper, I'll call this one a keeper. I truly expected the Tuesday night racing to be a cluster*****, especially for me since I'm not so good with cars such as this. Thankfully Vic chose to give us free choice of tires which gave me a chance at not being last every time. I found during some practicing before the races that I wasn't that bad when I employed SRF.

Racing was exciting, and surprisingly close. I managed a couple of "first loser" spots to my surprise. Monaco was a huge disappointment. I gave it everything I had to catch up to @RobboGTAddict who was running comfortably ( or not :scared: ? ) in the lead. I knew I would not be able to pass him, so applying some @Vic Reign93 style pressure to force him into an error was my only hope. I was on him around the swimming pool when he hit the wall and victory was mine, except like @Nismonath5 said, I redressed thinking I punted him. Things happen so fast in the FGT that I really didn't know he hit the wall before I hit him. So what could have been my GT6 career highlight ended in the agony of defeat. Well, not so much, it's only a game.

Since it's no way anything like a sleeper, I'll call this one a keeper. I truly expected the Tuesday night racing to be a cluster*****, especially for me since I'm not so good with cars such as this. Thankfully Vic chose to give us free choice of tires which gave me a chance at not being last every time. I found during some practicing before the races that I wasn't that bad when I employed SRF.

Racing was exciting, and surprisingly close. I managed a couple of "first loser" spots to my surprise. Monaco was a huge disappointment. I gave it everything I had to catch up to @RobboGTAddict who was running comfortably ( or not :scared: ? ) in the lead. I knew I would not be able to pass him, so applying some @Vic Reign93 style pressure to force him into an error was my only hope. I was on him around the swimming pool when he hit the wall and victory was mine, except like @Nismonath5 said, I redressed thinking I hit him and booted him into the wall. Things happen so fast in the FGT that I really didn't know he hit the wall before I hit him. So what could have been my GT6 career highlight ended in the agony of defeat. Well, not so much, it's only a game.

This week's COTW Formula 1 racing was certainly a rush! As difficult as the FGT was to drive, looking back on it, I'd happily thrash it again!

Now, this week's winner still hasn't gotten back to me, so if / when he does, that'll be next week's car... So for this week, the car comes courtesy of Jordan! But not the Jordan you're thinking about.. Jordan Cox.

Who's that, you ask? Well, he's an Aussie bloke with a very agile car, no brakes, and gonads like you would not believe! This means he's good at showing up the bigger, more powerful cars.

I bet he saves a lot of money on brakes driving like that!!! :lol: Also, here's the in-car..

Congratulations Jordan Cox Motorsport!!!!

In honour of his madness, this week we'll give his car a go!
Honda-Civic-4.jpg

It's the 1995 Honda Civic SiR II (EG)!!!

Amazingly, the Civic name has gone mostly unnoticed by COTW, having appeared only once prior to this! Known for being hooned by teenagers and being "tuned" with fartcans, huge rims, unpainted body kits and stupid camber ("stance"), the Civic gets a really bad rep! Time to see what it can do!
This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Production Car Testing Grounds, courtesy of @Lewis_Hamilton_, and is live now! See you guys on Tuesday!

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "No harm in asking for a Hulkenberg while you're Playing with TT's" event... Part One

Victory_Reign93: 0:49.774

BaronBlitzRed: 0:50.690

Nismonath5: 0:51.560

Rob_on_Drums: 0.52.821

And the officially unofficial results for the "No harm in asking for a Hulkenberg while you're Playing with TT's" event... Part Two

Victory_Reign93: 0:56.143

BaronBlitzRed: 0:58.192

Rob_on_Drums: 1:00.885

Cheers

Latest Posts

Back