Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Toyota Supra RZ '97
xi2YxfoQmkVoKa1Tmv_0.jpg

Hello! Well, this weeks choice was just as enjoyable to drive as it was 20 years ago on GT1. Great car with default settings and very versitile with tuning to your needs. I already owned a couple, one for 500-550pp street races, and one I use frequently for Route X lobbys that tops out at 295mph on it's own without a draft. So for about 50,000 credits, you get alot of "bang for your buck" that hangs with multi-million dollar cars. It handles great, drifts great, and enough stock power under the hood to paint the starting line at Daytona with skids marks LoL (if you didn't race Tuesday night, you missed a funny COTW blooper at Daytona). I have no complaints about this car. To me, it's definitly a Sleeper!

1997 Toyota Supra RZ

downloadfile-2 (2).jpg

This is without question one of the all time favorite cars in the GT series for most people. So I never understood why it was still a standard model in GT6 while all its rivals got the premium treatment.

Now comes the part people will crucify me for. The Supra in stock condition is absolutely horrible to me. The amount of understeer the Supra has is just unacceptable for a FR car of this caliber.

FR cars in GT are one of my favorite classes to drive so I was extremely disappointed to see the Supra handles like a front wheel drive car and almost all of the characteristics of a FR was nonexistent.
Every other rival car of the Supra's ran circles around it when it came to corner entry. The Mitsubishi 3000GT TwinTurbo, Nissan Skyline, Nissan 300ZX, Mazda RX7 and Honda NSX are all much better choices in stock condition than the Supra.

Everything else about the Supra is excellent from it's braking to its power and all is what you would expect from a Supra.

Sadly I didn't race this week with our group so I don't know how the car performed in a large group race but I'm betting anyone who decided to bring out one of Toyota's rivals probably left all the Supra's in the dust.

Ok the bad reviews stop there because for anyone who has ever played past GT games should know that tuning the Supra is where things come alive. Not only can you do away with the car understeer and make this thing ride on rails its also capable of blistering speeds of 300mph/482kph. Now it just got fun.

Unless you have been living under a rock everyone should know by now that GT Sport got the 1997 Toyota Supra RZ about a week ago in an update and now it is a beautiful premium model with all those extra touches its been missing for so many years. I did alot of testing with the Supra in GTS and I will save my review on that once we all move to Sport. However I will say the understeer problem isn't a problem anymore.

I'm definitely not happy with the way this car drive's in stock condition and I really expected more form such an iconic car but even with it's problems it's still nowhere near being a beater. With a little tuning this thing becomes the ultimate SLEEPER.

impp_1007_05_o+1997_toyota_supra+rear.jpg

Toyota Supra RZ '97
3.0L
325 hp / 5,500 rpm
393 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,510 kg (3,329 lbs)
471 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:23.403 - 453 - Autobacs Garaiya '02
1:23.428 - 454 - Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune Concept By GranTurismo (Z33) '02
1:23.477 - 440 - Amuse S2000 Street Version '04
1:23.480 - 446 - Acura NSX Coupe '97
1:23.506 - 477 - Volkswagen Scirocco GT24 (Volkswagen Motorsport) '08
1:23.530 - 472 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M. Edition '00
1:23.555 - 464 - Mazda Roadster Touring Car
1:23.646 - 458 - Hyundai Clix '01
1:23.653 - 458 - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) '95
1:23.676 - 477 - Jaguar XKR Coupe '99
1:23.696 - 466 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII GSR '01
1:23.779 - 456 - Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STi Version '98
1:23.802 - 482 - Jaguar S-Type R '02
1:23.814 - 463 - Tesla Motors Tesla Roadster '08
1:23.823 - 457 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi (Type-II) '02
1:23.866 - 432 - Ford RS200 '84
1:23.879 - 448 - Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00
1:23.889 - 471 - Toyota Supra RZ '97
1:23.895 - 458 - Infiniti Coupe Concept '06
1:23.911 - 458 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version VI '99
1:23.950 - 457 - Infiniti FX45 Concept '02
1:23.980 - 465 - Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track '13
1:24.139 - 449 - Toyota RSC '01
1:24.163 - 453 - Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon STi (Type-I) '00
1:24.169 - 453 - Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '02
1:24.206 - 458 - Nissan Skyline Coupe 370GT Type SP '07
1:24.216 - 438 - Mazda RX-7 Type RZ (FD, J) '92
1:24.221 - 455 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Version V '98
1:24.246 - 439 - Honda NSX '90
1:24.278 - 463 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98
1:24.310 - 456 - Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07
1:24.342 - 452 - Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon WRX STi Version VI '99
1:24.370 - 472 - Audi RS 4 '01

It's okay stock, but the Acura NSX '97 and R33 GT-R '95 are faster. I like the Supra, but I don't cream my jeans over it like I do for RX-7 and NSX so it's a beater for me. Sorry everybody.

At Suzuka East in GTS:

0:58.969 - Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nur (R34)
0:59.406 - Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32)
0:59.681 - Subaru WRX STI Type S
0:59.686 - Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
0:59.841 - Toyota Supra RZ
0:59.930 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition

Super-duper Supra!!!!
The JDM icon with severe graphical issues.... until now!!
Cape Ring North_1.jpg

Not really a surprise that the lobby was super popular...

I'm writing this review frustratingly late. Not because I've been busy or anything, just my totally antisocial sisters hog the laptops, and it's rather hard to write up a quality GTP post from a smartphone... But anyway. I'll keep it quick and sweet so we can get to the next car

The RZ Supra! Now, I'll be honest, until last week I'd never ever owned it. Why, you ask? Well, I'm not entirely sure. It just hasn't really appealed to me, which I guess is largely due to the poor graphics. I mean I love the Mk 4 Supra, and I respect what it can do. But it's just never found a home in my garage. Until now!

Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_1.jpg

Battling at Brands Hatch

Driving it, I wasn't exactly impressed, but certainly not disappointed. The Supra displayed solid power and acceleration, but was a bit difficult to handle. It's great 95% of the time, but it gets a bit on edge when you ask it to unleash it's full potential. The touchy handling made doorhandle to doorhandle racing a bit tricky, although there were still some epic races, Racer and Lit having an epic clash at Spa and Vic and I chasing everyone else down in a pair of GT500 cars!

Also worth mentioning was the return of @Baron Blitz Red, kinda. He found out that he can use a PS4 controller to join the lobby, but can't race, so he can spectate while he commentates on Discord. Which is good, cos now he's landed himself the role of keeping lookout for troublemakers while we race! (I didn't tell him that prior to making this statement - But it would be useful!)

Long review short, the Supra RZ is probably worth missing out on in GT6. Average performance, bad graphics... I look forward to getting GT Sport now! Beater.

Back soon with a new car!

Man, I really don't do late nights. I mean, I know people like Vic do this all the time, but I'm really struggling and its not quite midnight yet. three minutes to go. Maybe it's cos usually when I'm up past midnight it's cos I'm gaming? Does gaming require less brainpower than review writing?

...anyways.

I'll pinch this week's pick, solely because I've been itching for an opportune time to get this one featured for a while now, because it's so underrated. The PP level's way too damn high, and for that reason it doesn't get featured as a choice for many events, despite being the baby of it's lineup.

It's the Gran Turismo RedBull X2014 Jr!!!!!
Red_Bull_X2014_Junior.jpg

For some reason this thing's got 736pp, putting it in the realms of LM55's, V6 Escudos, 97T's, all the while running on about a fifth of the power. Though what this baby lacks in power, she more than makes up for in cornering! Speed through the corners is key in doing well in this machine, and the near pinpoint handling means I'm looking forward to some of the best dag nab racing we've ever seen!

Hopefully I stay awake long enough to set up a TT event. That shall be done momentarily. Anyways, now its 12:15, and I need to set up the event befo- zzzzzzzz..... zzzzzzzz.... zzzzzz...

also sidenote, it's quite obvious this thing is over-PP'd. that means you'll have access to some cars that are pretty OP in comparison. Please keep this in mind should you wish to select a comparison car, we want to keep the racing as close mechanically as possible!

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning was the return of @Baron Blitz Red, kinda. He found out that he can use a PS4 controller to join the lobby, but can't race, so he can spectate while he commentates on Discord. Which is good, cos now he's landed himself the role of keeping lookout for troublemakers while we race! (I didn't tell him that prior to making this statement - But it would be useful!)

Sure, I can do the job as a scrutineer... sadly, last week I managed to witness some blatant track cutting and some poor sportsmanship from two separate individuals, and mentioned it via Discord. It's not as fun as the racing I so deeply miss with the COTW regulars, but it seems to be needed. So yes, if you'll have me along, I'll be there offering my usual brand of sarcasm based humourous commentary while paying attention to the hopefully upcoming competition in GT Sport. ;)

Cheers

Sure, I can do the job as a scrutineer... sadly, last week I managed to witness some blatant track cutting and some poor sportsmanship from two separate individuals, and mentioned it via Discord. It's not as fun as the racing I so deeply miss with the COTW regulars, but it seems to be needed. So yes, if you'll have me along, I'll be there offering my usual brand of sarcasm based humourous commentary while paying attention to the hopefully upcoming competition in GT Sport. ;)

Cheers

Well welcome back and hopefully you can find some knd of PS3 controller before GT6 is offline.

Im having issues entering time trials with the RB jr. This car was a reward from the campaign. Iv tried de-tuning it, but still says it is. Here's pictures if you can compare to yours and see what i did wrong.
15185623885131764768790.jpg

1518562451158843980039.jpg

15185625128361079144235.jpg

15185625686321639898936.jpg

1518562617547137105045.jpg

I already did, and i also checked if i improved the body rigidity, nothing.
15185646612041382571762.jpg

Still can't figure it out. Im just gonna pick another car to race with you guys off my wish list.

You already know what time it is! Time to race, guys! Also the PP issue that @Infineon has been suffering turns out to actually affect everyone, I guess it's a bug or something. In that case we have to do things a bit differently this week, there is a 258bhp limit and tuning is allowed.

Last edited:
After Nismo left, I tried to break the 2 min barrier at Bathurst on the RM tyres whilst stock and even though I was unable to complete that task, I did remember that he did his lap in a tuned version so..

I topped up the oil, tweaked the gearing, suspension and diff, trimmed all the downforce off, slapped on some RS tyres, turned off SRF and went straight back out there. ;)

And survey says...

B194401F-B077-4BD7-AA31-42D86C74DB48.jpeg

:D

Also, I will find time to get back up to date on my reviews before the servers go offline. :P

After Nismo left, I tried to break the 2 min barrier at Bathurst on the RM tyres whilst stock and even though I was unable to complete that task, I did remember that he did his lap in a tuned version so..

I topped up the oil, tweaked the gearing, suspension and diff, trimmed all the downforce off, slapped on some RS tyres, turned off SRF and went straight back out there. ;)

And survey says...

View attachment 714426
:D

Also, I will find time to get back up to date on my reviews before the servers go offline. :P
Goddammit. Now, like with the GT-R, I have to do better..

Need some energy? Drive a Redbull...
The super-nifty little formula car that maybe promises a bit more than it can deliver...

Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A).jpg

Quickfire racing at GT Arena!

It seems RedBull can't get enough of motorsport these days. Their logo is spotted on cars of all different categories and disciplines, Formula One, WRC, DTM, V8 Supercars, Indycar... in fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pro race series they haven't dipped their toes into! And one of their most ambitious projects of recent years was the conception of the RedBull X1. Later renamed the X2010 to differentiate it from it's successor, it was the physical answer to a simple request. Concieve the fastest race car on earth, bound by no regulations or limitations. The result was a 1500bhp, 500kg monster with mind blowing performance in every way possible. It quickly became the most loved (and hated if you were online) car in the franchise, for the simple fact that nothing could hold a candle to it on the track. Some will argue that the SRT Tomahawk X has pinched that title from it. Well, maybe on SSRX, but as the original Duel Of The Week crew found out when @Cowboy finished up as leader, The RedBulls are still better when corners are involved...

For 2014 however, we got not one new RedBull car, but three. And the baby of the group is... literally that. A baby in comparison.

Ronda.jpg

When I grow up, I want to be a real X2014!

Many people consider this to be an oversized gokart. I disagree. I think it's more like a near-future Formula 3 car. No 1500bhp flame spitting V6 to be found here, instead you have a 2 litre boxer 4 pumping out 258bhp. It still manages to weigh in at 55okgs, which is odd, given the fact that it's so obviously smaller and has a smaller engine, I expected it to be lighter than it's brothers. It's silhouette is still very much X2014, though lacking the fan technology and glass canopy. It's still got the covered wheels though, so it's got that going for it. It's also very much cheaper. $200,000 is a bargain for a RedBull car, though I'll bet most of you got yours for free thanks to the RedBull challenges in GT6, along with the rest of the X2014 lineup.

Now, it's time to address the elephant in the room.

24scem.jpg

Moving on, when you ignore the PP level it's actually a pretty neat racecar. With an explosive power to weight ratio, and delivered straight to your garage with a set of RS tyres, you've instantly got tonnes of grip, the rubber, the aero, and the suspension means you can instantly tackle corners with full confidence. I have virtually no critisisms about how it handles, although it is worth noting that the Jr. gets very unsettled if you drive over rumble strips. You're better off avoiding them, there were a couple of times I nearly crashed out thanks to simply using the kerbs as clipping points, as you would in real life. In fact, @todally_lit very nearly pinched my 2nd place at Tsukuba because I'd gotten loose on the final turn thanks to, yes you guessed it, a rumble strip!

The Jr isn't mindblowingly fast in a straight line, it's more focused on corners and keeping speed through tight sections. However, the gear ratio still seems to be excessively tall, I don't think I ever needed 6th gear the whole meet, and you'd think a closer ratio would further help acceleration. Still, it goes great! It sounds like it's really working for it's performance, not screaming, not too lazy, just enough to sound like it's got a bit of grunt! The fact still stands though... the PP is too high, leaving it all but useless. It's only welcome in the highest tier events, and even then you'll be outpaced by Toyota 7s and Jag XJR-9s before you even get to the end of the first sector. Realistically, I think it should be more like 600pp at the most. At least then it could take on the GT class cars and have a better shot at contention!

Tsukuba Circuit_2.jpg

With no windscreen, and an open helmet, @Draggon requests at least a pair of sunglasses so his eyeballs don't dry out.

Now, as far as day to day practicality, well it has none. If you were to do a grocery run in one, you would find that it lacks any kind of trunk or storage space. You may get away with it if you simply need bread and milk because it could fit in your lap, but if you need the weekly shop, look elsewhere.. Oh and be sure to check the forecast ahead of your venture, as it lacks a roof. So either try driving while holding an umbrella, install a makeshift windscreen, or just submit to your imminent wetness and wear your swim trunks and possibly flippers. Finally, do not, I repeat DO NOT use it to pick up that cute girl next door for a date. Not only is there an absence of a passenger seat for your petite blonde partner, but you don't want her clinging for dear life to your precious carbon fibre aero parts, do you?!

In summary, the X2014Jr is pretty fun, providing you don't give a crap that you can't use it in any event it would have a fair chance in. If you're willing to overlook the lack of usability, you got yourself a pretty fast, fun car with gokart handling and the potential to set some monty quick laps! Speaking of which, I'll try this week to have a crack at that time @Vic Reign93 set. If I do, you'll be the first to know!!!

..oh, what? That's right! Beater or sleeper?
I vote Sleeper solely because it can do under 2 minutes round Bathurst with under 300bhp. Respect where it's due!!!

See, I can post my review and the new car on time for once, huh?! Amazing...

I was going to pick a winner to select a car this week, then I had a thought... so I had a look over at the initial list. For those of you who are too new to the club to know, when COTW was first announced for Gran Turismo 6, Brad asked people to suggest what the first car would be, and once the choice was made (Peugeot RCZ), he compiled the remaining suggestions into a list that was always there if we needed a backup choice for whatever reason. However with the ever-closer termination now only weeks away, I reckon we should try out some of the hidden gems (or smoking piles of garbage) that remain in the list to this day.. You can view the list yourself here

So this week, we'll all be having a go in...

18-RSX-Type-S-F3_4.jpg

The 2004 Acura RSX Type S!!!!

This will be interesting because I actually know nothing about this car. Is it the same as a Type R Integra? Is it better? Worse? Who knows!!!! This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Tsukuba Circuit, plus I'll re-do the X2014 Jr's TT. I forgot to fix it when I said I would, apologies, but that just means there'll be two this week! And I'll do the regs the same way we did Tuesday night so you should be able to join!

See you guys on Tuesday for more action, more adrenaline, and more signifigantly unfair handicaps on poor ol' Vic, even though we all know he'll make up the ground and get past before half race distance!

Acura RSX Type-S '04
2.0L K20A2
199 hp / 7,500 rpm
143 ft-lb / 6,000 rpm
1,255 kg (2,767 lbs)
402 pp

Compare with...

Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
2.0L K20A
216 hp / 8,000 rpm
153 ft-lb / 7,000 rpm
1,180 kg (2,601 lbs)
419 pp

The K20A makes 17 more horses and 10 more ft-lbs of torque than the K20A2, and the Type R is 75 kg (166 lbs) lighter, too. This translates to a time difference of about 2 seconds at Mid-Field Raceway.

129 mph - Type R
122 mph - Type S

Both cars dropped down to exactly 70 mph for Turn 1.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:27.985 - 407 - Scion FR-S '12
1:27.991 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
1:28.167 - 405 - Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99
1:28.195 - 405 - Honda Civic Type R (EP, EU) '01

1:28.224 - 411 - Lotus Elise '00
1:28.228 - 442 - Ford SVT F-150 Lightning '03
1:28.294 - 409 - Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32) '89
1:28.297 - 407 - Toyota 86 GT '12
1:28.304 - 415 - Ford Focus ST '06
1:28.330 - 402 - Mazda Kusabi '03
1:28.336 - 407 - Toyota 86 "Racing" '13
1:28.350 - 408 - Mazda RX-8 Type E '03
1:28.422 - 402 - Acura RSX Type-S '04
1:28.445 - 424 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
1:28.480 - 403 - Renault Sport Clio R.S. '11
1:28.498 - 421 - Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro '03
1:28.523 - 406 - Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90
1:28.529 - 401 - Mitsubishi FTO GPX '97
1:28.555 - 428 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92
1:28.575 - 443 - Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
1:28.580 - 396 - Toyota Altezza RS200 '98
1:28.605 - 411 - Nissan Silvia K's (S13) '91
1:28.612 - 430 - Toyota Soarer 2.5GT-T '97
1:28.623 - 407 - Nissan Silvia K's Aero (S14) '93
1:28.636 - 400 - Mitsubishi FTO GPX '94
1:28.669 - 403 - Acura Integra Type R '01
1:28.669 - 417 - Nissan Stagea 260RS AutechVersion '98
1:28.713 - 419 - Alpine A110 1600S '73
1:28.719 - 438 - Mercedes-Benz SL 500 (R129) '98
1:28.728 - 415 - Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic '13
1:28.754 - 427 - Buick GNX '87
1:28.756 - 414 - Renault Sport Mégane R.S. '08
1:28.768 - 408 - Volkswagen New Beetle Cup Car '00
1:28.784 - 409 - Nissan 180SX Type X '96
1:28.810 - 414 - Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04
1:28.854 - 422 - Alpine A110 1600S '72

I bolded some FF rivals and siblings for comparison. It's a sleeper for me, because it's not a Type R but is actually competitive against two Type R's.

Happy belated birthday! :dunce: What car did you get?

C71BD203-7DEA-42E8-9EE2-CD94188F9B54.jpeg

Rather unsurprisingly it’s a Mazda Mx5, got one a year or 2 ago the same way. :P

I say unsurprising because of the 21 cars that are as old as me, 12 are from Mazda, 6 MX-5/Miata/Eunos’s, 4 RX-7’s and 2 323F/Lantis’s.:crazy:

5 Nissans including the Calsonic R32, 3 Hondas that are the Beat,EG Civic and NSX and lastly 1 Alfa.

The 155 2.5 V6 TI DTM. :drool:

Also thanks to all who wished me a Happy Birthday. :cheers:

Back