Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I had a decent race with the '71 Nissan 240ZG but after that race I was plagued with lag. I didn't notice the lag before the race started but once we got into it, it was mayhem for me. Normally I don't get lag at all but tonight it was really bad. I wish I had a more stable connection because I wanted to test out my 502pp '83 300ZX (Z31). With the tuned '83 300ZX (Z31) I was able to reach a 1:33.xx at Laguna Seca on sports soft. Hopefully next week the server will cooperate and it will be a lot smoother for me to race. I'd say with the Nissan Z cars, they are pretty good.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's related but I went early to get the latest PS3 update (for BlueRay IIRC) and when it came time for racing I couldn't connect at all. I had internet access for my laptop so it wasn't that...

Most racing I've done lately is against the ghosts in the online seasonals... for those that have done them anyways! Hint Hint Hint :lol:

Really like the Z's... always have always will!

Cheers

Yutaka Katayama: Z Godfather

"The Nail that wouldn't be hammered down" That quote sums up Mr K.

He had ideas, a Vision and his outspokenness made a few enemies within the Japanese management at the time.

Their solution? Let him build a brand in the West under a different name which was Datsun. To them it wasn't a promotion for Mr K, it was exile.

If he failed, they could say this is why we play it safe and stay hammered down.

To hell with that he probably would've replied, he made it work. ;) He built cars that the man himself would want to drive and hoped people shared the same feeling.

The rest as they would say, is history. The Z cars became icons and it all started with the S30 Fairlady Z. :drool:

The one we drove was the G nose version with the 2.4 Inline 6 making 151hp. The one used in the world of Forza has the same S20 2.0 DOHC Inline 6 used in the Skyline 2000 GTR making 160hp.

After making the 240Z, the 260 and 280Z came about with bigger engines of 2.6 and 2.8 liters, but power was slightly restricted on the 2.6 due to the US emissions laws of the time where's the 2.8 got fuel injection and made 170hp which offset some of the weight from the added luxury and enlarged bumper for US regulations.

Next car we drove was the Z31 300ZX with a turbo charged V6 making around 225hp and was the second best selling Z car with over 70.000 cars being sold. šŸ‘

In 1985, Nissan dropped the Datsun brand name and legendary actor and bona fide car nut and racer Paul Newman won the 1985 GT1 Challenge for his 4th National championship in a 300ZX. :bowdown:

The third car we drove was the '89' 300ZX with a twin turbo V6 which was good for around 300hp.

The 300ZX was a hit, winning numerous awards like, Best Import of the year, Best Design and so on.

It was one of the first production cars to be developed in a CAD program, the Twin turbo cars also had 4 wheel steering and all 300ZX's came with T-Tops although hard tops were also built.

For the 4th and final car we all drove, we fast forward to the 6th generation Z, the 370Z.

It had a 3.7 V6, 335hp, a 6 speed manual with Sychro Rev Match or a 7 speed Paddle shift transmission.

The 370Z alongside the GTR, has been the poster car for the GT Academy, training fellow GT gamers into full blown racers. :P

Result? Numerous racing wins in many race categories including the recent win at the Barthurst 12hr Endurance. :eek:

Of course, all this is just scratching the surface of what kind of legacy that Mr K and the Z cars have created.

Two examples for me are, The Devil Z from the Wangan Midnight Anime and the Rotsun from Motortrends Roadkill show. :D

To some, the Z cars are brilliant, fun to drive perfomance cars.
To Mr K, it was his vision, his dream, becoming a reality. ;)šŸ‘

The cars we drove were all good fun to drive, hardly any faults to report for any of them.

They were all sleepers, but if I had to pick one as my favourite, it would be the Z31 300ZX. :)

Thank you Yutaka Katayama, your legacy has been etched into automotive history and we're missing you already down here. :cheers:

Z,Z,Z - The stuff dreams are made of.

Well, since Victory Reign has conveniently gone over the history of Mr. Yutaka Katayama, and indeed the history of the ā€œZā€ cars, I might as well get on with my impressions.

So, Beater or Sleeper?

Neither.

Although the six cylinder engines from this family of sports cars are certainly not aiming for supercar status, all of them, from the 1971 2.4 Liter inline 6 to this morningā€™s 3.7 Liter V6, offer the driver a generous amount of power to play with. This, paired with the RWD and noticeably small wheelbase, puts a smile on my face through every corner, whether its quick and tidy, or sideways and drowning in my own smoke. Performance wise, I consider this a sleeper.

That being said, itā€™s not the reason why I would buy one. The definition of a sleeper is something which is fun to drive AND practical. The issue with these Fairladies is, with their sloping hatchbacks and two door configurations, they miss the mark on the practicality aspect. But that couldnā€™t bother me less. Because, as a result, this car has a signature elegance to it which has travelled through time, and still appeals to us today. That is the legacy of Mr. Katayama.

While I consider this weekā€™s collection of cars to be neither beaters or sleepers, Iā€™m absolutely convinced they are a fitting tribute to this great man.

Sorry about the delay. We now continue with your regularly-scheduled shenanigans.

This Camaro is very fun to run around the circtuit of your choice. Powering out of a slow, sharp corner can get the car to dance and it is just a blast. I definitely recommend this car to anybody looking for a joy ride. šŸ‘

Congratulations kolio123!

Please select this week's automotive lab rat...

Awe sweet! Very cool as I have not much posted in the thread, but have read it much. Thank you. :)

I will choose...

2babes.jpg

the 1998 Celica GT-Four (ST205)!

I believe there's also a rally version of this car. You should probably pick that up, too, as well as the Mini Clubman Vision Gran Turismo... just in case.

We're racing on Midfield, yes? :D

I think that's a given if we're honest. :lol:

So 3 turbo charged 4wd rockets built for 3 different disciplines,

The Roadie, The Racer and the The Rally. :D

Of course, you can't test the rally version without talking about the impressive cheat they pulled in 1995.

As we all know, rally cars have restrictor plates to keep power low and speeds down.

What Toyota did was modify the turbo restrictor in such a way that,

: The restrictor was not sealed so it was possible for it to move without touching the seals.
: It was possible for air to get into the engine without going through the restrictor.
: The restrictor could be moved Further away from the turbo than the regulations allowed.

Some experts claim it gave the Celica as high as 50hp extra and here's the kicker, when the inspectors checked the restrictor by undoing 2 clips on the hose, the device snapped shut and left no evidence of cheating. :mischievous:

Admittedly, I'm slightly simplifying the whole thing, but Max Mosely himself said, "It was the most ingenious thing I've seen in 30 years of Motorsport."

Damning with fine praise. :)

I think that's a given if we're honest. :lol:

So 3 turbo charged 4wd rockets built for 3 different disciplines,

The Roadie, The Racer and the The Rally. :D

Of course, you can't test the rally version without talking about the impressive cheat they pulled in 1995.

As we all know, rally cars have restrictor plates to keep power low and speeds down.

What Toyota did was modify the turbo restrictor in such a way that,

: The restrictor was not sealed so it was possible for it to move without touching the seals.
: It was possible for air to get into the engine without going through the restrictor.
: The restrictor could be moved Further away from the turbo than the regulations allowed.

Some experts claim it gave the Celica as high as 50hp extra and here's the kicker, when the inspectors checked the restrictor by undoing 2 clips on the hose, the device snapped shut and left no evidence of cheating. :mischievous:

Admittedly, I'm slightly simplifying the whole thing, but Max Mosely himself said, "It was the most ingenious thing I've seen in 30 years of Motorsport."

Well, when you are being PRAISED while being accused of cheating, that is telling of Toyota's good work, no? Of course, it's not right, but god damm did the car do well at rallying... :lol:

We prefer the term competitive advantage. Afterall, all the other teams had the same opportunity to come up with something equally clever, and didn't.

Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
2.0L
250 hp / 6,000 rpm
224 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,390 kg (3,064 lbs)
424 pp

12.3 lbs/hp

The Celicas' closest 4WD turbo competition:

1:50.284 - 438 - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94
1:51.989 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
1:52.506 - 424 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
1:53.497 - 428 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92

The Celica is beaten by two 4-door cars made 4 years earlier. The 3S-GTE is a fantastic engine shared with the MR2, but the rest of the car is sub-par. Subaru and Mitsubishi offer better alternatives. It's a beater for me.

Even the original WRX STi '94 is faster.

Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
2.0L
250 hp / 6,000 rpm
224 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,390 kg (3,064 lbs)
424 pp

12.3 lbs/hp

The Celicas' closest 4WD turbo competition:

1:51.989 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
1:52.506 - 424 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) '98
1:53.497 - 428 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92

The Celica is beaten by a 4-door car made 4 years earlier. The 3S-GTE is a fantastic engine shared with the MR2, but the rest of the car is sub-par. Subaru and Mitsubishi offer better alternatives. It's a beater for me.

Even the original WRX STi '94 is faster.

That's what horsepower does to you. The 3S-GTE is only good for 251 hp, even the Caldina has five more hp than the GT-Four. Most Lancers are more than capable of doing 276 (if not more) hp, which shows that Toyota wasted potential that could've made the Celica a better car...

As for the discussion on this week's pick, the phrase: "It's only illegal if you get caught" comes to mind... unlike the Chappy 2J that people have been using in a recent seasonal time trial. It was banned for a reason. Try using a legal car instead of being sheep and following the wrong herd :lol: :mischievous:.

Cheers

As for the discussion on this week's pick, the phrase: "It's only illegal if you get caught" comes to mind... unlike the Chappy 2J that people have been using in a recent seasonal time trial. It was banned for a reason. Try using a legal car instead of being sheep and following the wrong herd :lol: :mischievous:.

Cheers
On the contrary, CAN-AM, the series for which the 2j was intended to race in, had no regulations against ground effects technology because of course nothing like it had ever been seen before. Additionally, the ban on the 2J was pushed by McLaren who argued that the 2J dominated the series and didn't leave any chance for other competitors. Which, ironically, was exactly what McLaren had been doing for years.

In summary: ground effects was just a fantastic technology developed to give Chapperel a competitive edge, but wasn't as generously received as, say, Hybrid Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems found in some Toyota LMPs. Which SOME PEOPLE have been using in the same Time Trial. :sly: :cheers:

On the contrary, CAN-AM, the series for which the 2j was intended to race in, had no regulations against ground effects technology because of course nothing like it had ever been seen before. Additionally, the ban on the 2J was pushed by McLaren who argued that the 2J dominated the series and didn't leave any chance for other competitors. Which, ironically, was exactly what McLaren had been doing for years.

In summary: ground effects was just a fantastic technology developed to give Chapperel a competitive edge, but wasn't as generously received as, say, Hybrid Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems found in some Toyota LMPs. Which SOME PEOPLE have been using in the same Time Trial. :sly: :cheers:

LMAO... touche Monty! At least you got my sense of humour... on the east coast where I used to live, the saying goes: If you aren't getting picked on, it's because nobody likes you! :lol:

Cheers

My first impressions of cars usually come from where I first saw them in. In this Celica's case, I first saw it in the Initial D: Third Stage anime movie, being driven by a perverted jerk. I guess it hasn't really improved my look on it, but I'll drive it tomorrow to get a real feel for it.

My first impressions of cars usually come from where I first saw them in. In this Celica's case, I first saw it in the Initial D: Third Stage anime movie, being driven by a perverted jerk. I guess it hasn't really improved my look on it, but I'll drive it tomorrow to get a real feel for it.

I love Initial D. The new movie (which isn't really new, so much as a retelling) should be out soon. Expect English dubbing in 25 years or so.

ę–°åŠ‡å “ē‰ˆć€Œé ­ę–‡å­—ļ¼¤ć€Legend2-é—˜čµ°-怀ē‰¹å ±:
-Rally version is premium, road version isn't.
Yeah, ok...

Why are so many people hung up on standard vs premium? I personally don't think that it lessens the game, but then again, if PD used resources to convert all of them to premium we'd complain that those resources should've went to damage, or a livery editor, or course maker, or the meter-maid feature.

I'm not sure PD can win this one. While I agree that the Standards don't always look great, I am thankful to have them thanks to the many that have become my favorites over the years. Can you imagine the fit people would/do through when their absolute favorite car isn't carried over (Jensen Interceptor, anyone)?

And besides, unloved and overlooked cars are what this thread is all about (like this perv car, and the rapist/murderer Camaro from two weeks ago.

Well, usually. Who's gonna turn down driving a Ferrari?

Last edited:
I love Initial D. The new movie (which isn't really new, so much as a retelling) should be out soon. Expect English dubbing in 25 years or so.

I am a firm believer that anime should be watched in Japanese with subs instead. And I've watched the first part of the remake. It's quite good as a remake, although the lack of eurobeat and m.o.v.e tracks are really noticeable. There's also the fact that they didn't touch on Mogi practicing enjo kōsai with the older man in the Mercedes. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Anyway back to the Celica. It's not a bad car per se, but I feel it's not memorable as a car. It does it's job, and it does it well. But that's about it. If you take away the rallying pedigree of the car, I'm not so sure I will remember the ST205 in years to come.

The DC2 Integra Type R is as fast as the ST205, with 200 fewer cc's, 50 fewer horses, no 4WD, and no turbo torque!

Here's Initial D Legend 1 with English subs

I never heard of it until now. Going to watch it sometime today šŸ‘ Legend 2 comes out May 23.

Edit: Have you guys watched the live-action movie? It's a guilty pleasure of mine lol

Last edited:
Back