Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

So that's the reason for your recent silent period. Fair enough, those are tough times for the ones you support, and they need all the help they can get. Just do what you can, we'll hold the base over here. :cheers:

On the plus side, this happened today...

OrigStig.JPG

First of all, let me congratulate Sauber F1 Team on their performance in Australia. Well deserved points, fantastic performance!

I'm going to do a review about this car soon, i have already got $37 million or so it would be no problem for me to buy one.

After checking my bank balance...

Congratulations ToyGTone! You've bought earned the right to select next week's car!

We had an Italian car last week and we had a Japanese car the week before so I'm going to choose an american car for this week.

Our guest this week will be a classic muscle "pony" car coming for the same manufacturer who did one of the worst looking cars in the world, and that it was known for being in a late 70's/ early 80's famous american movie so ladies and gentlemen please welcome...

firebird-girl-103927.jpg

... the 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am!

I should warn you now that the transportation of alcohol across state boarders for the purposes of sale is illegal and violators will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

So don't get caught.

Let's get the deets out of the way (deets is American slang for details)

6.6L
219 hp / 4,000 rpm
321 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,640 kg (3,616 lbs)
415 pp

This car has the worst hp/L that I've ever seen, with just 33 horsepower per liter of displacement.
It also has an absolutely dismal power to weight ratio of 16.5 pounds per horsepower.
The torque figure is decent at least.

Despite all this, the car is surprisingly enjoyable. The rear will never step out of line no matter what you do. It turns in beautifully, with no under or oversteer to speak of. I came away very impressed.

Fresh off the showroom floor, the Bandit is capable of thrashing Mid-Field Raceway in less than 1 minute 30 seconds, hitting a maximum speed of 120 mph even. That's Civic Type R (EK) and Supra SZ-R territory.

I swear someone's reading my mind as I recently recommended the Trans AM for one of @photonrider 's Rabbit hunter challenges. :scared:

This is quite the choice not just for its movie legacy, but also the surprising amount of visual modifications which combined with an engine with a possible max output of 781hp makes it a car you shouldn't count out if someone brings it out in a classic muscle car battle. ;)

Cowboy hats and CB radios are optional, but preferred. :lol:

I have one set up for drifting. The paint color is called "Champion Yellow 4" from the Suzuki Swift. Looks awesome with the black bird on the bonnet, Type A aero kit and Custom Wing Type B and Other Part C.

Fully modified as Vic said, it has 781 hp / 4,500 rpm and a ridiculous 955 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm with a minimum weight of 1,313 kg. Max PP is 606.

SauberSelfie.jpg
10-4, good buddy.

O.M.G.
Burt is back. Younger and more handsome, too.
Looks like I'm in for a good cold brewski, pure gold and all.

Mac - sorry to have let you down (and myself, too, since I missed the fun of running these beasts stock) for several weeks now. My schedules are whacking my life out of shape. Never start your own business.
Work 9-5 Mon to Friday, and wallow in your benefit package.

When you put the shackles on your self yourself the key tends to get misplaced.
Still good to see all the regs in here. 👍

Hey people... I know I'm way behind and have no right to ask, but...

We have 2 issues for tomorrow. One is the impending update, second is it will also be St. Patty's Day. Since I am Canadian of German Irish descent, I promised myself to be in no shape for driving, either in the real world or the virtual one. And I can't be the only one either lol. Might this be a good time to postphone COTW til Wednesday night?

Just something to think about...

Cheers

So much positivity for this car, and I'm going to come in and rain on the parade by saying I think it is one of the worst beaters in the game.

I already have a few hundred miles with this car, both tuned and untuned and have enjoyed it's handling, looks and optional upgrades thoroughly. However, in a competitive race, tuned or untuned, it's remarkably slow especially on the straights.

It's a freaking muscle car with a 6.6L engine and gets smoked by cars with 1/4 to 1/3 of it's engine size with twice the fuel efficiency. How on Earth do you get such bad performance out of such a big motor? The car isn't even that heavy.

Baron makes a good point about the update too, I think there could be problems tomorrow.

Cars within a half second of the F-bird at Laguna Seca on CH tires:

1:53.684 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
1:53.689 - 411 - Mazda Savanna RX-7 Infiniti III (FC) '90
1:53.751 - 403 - Acura Integra Type R '01
1:53.762 - 506 - Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99
1:53.773 - 398 - Honda Gathers Drider Civic '98
1:53.836 - 409 - Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type M (R32) '89
1:53.857 - 405 - Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05
1:53.859 - 399 - Renault Sport Clio R.S. 2.0 16V '02
1:53.879 - 404 - Volkswagen New Beetle RSi '00
1:53.903 - 406 - Audi S3 '02
1:53.913 - 421 - Volvo S60 T-5 Sport '03
1:53.945 - 408 - Volkswagen New Beetle Cup Car '00
1:53.952 - 403 - Renaultsport Clio R.S. '11
1:53.974 - 464 - Mercedes-Benz SL 600 (R129) '98
1:54.045 - 415 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
1:54.047 - 419 - Subaru Legacy B4 3.0R '03
1:54.096 - 415 - Ford Focus ST '06
1:54.232 - 453 - Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 '67
1:54.333 - 378 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
1:54.397 - 411 - Nissan Silvia K's (S13) '91
1:54.405 - 406 - Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90

So it's on the heels of the 6.0L V12 Mercedes SL600. That's cool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cars within a half second of the F-bird at Mid-Field on CS tires (so far)

1:29.592 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
1:29.774 - Toyota Supra SZ-R '97
1:29.799 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97
1:29.908 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
1:30.397 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R '98

So much positivity for this car, and I'm going to come in and rain on the parade by saying I think it is one of the worst beaters in the game.

I already have a few hundred miles with this car, both tuned and untuned and have enjoyed it's handling, looks and optional upgrades thoroughly. However, in a competitive race, tuned or untuned, it's remarkably slow especially on the straights.

It's a freaking muscle car with a 6.6L engine and gets smoked by cars with 1/4 to 1/3 of it's engine size with twice the fuel efficiency. How on Earth do you get such bad performance out of such a big motor? The car isn't even that heavy.

Baron makes a good point about the update too, I think there could be problems tomorrow.

Simple, my dear friend Lewis, it's what I've mentioned before; emission laws that strangled everything that was not a 4-cylinder engine at the time. American car companies stuck to V8 engines like glue (because it was a trademark that many customers loved), but they had to strangle the engines so much it was ridiculous. The Firebird may have only 200-plus hp, but some cars couldn't even get past the 130 mark. And let's not even get started with cases such as late 2-gen Chevrolet Camaros and Mustang IIs... For the slowness of the car, there's no other good cure other than fiddling about with the car's gearbox and/or other parts.

Last edited:
Simple, my dear friend Lewis, it's what I've mentioned before; emission laws that strangled everything that was not a 4-cylinder engine. American car companies stuck to V8 engine like glue, but they had to strangle the engines so much it was ridiculous. And let's not even get started with cases such as Camaros and Mustang IIs... For the slowness of the car, there's no other good cure other than fiddling about with the car's gearbox and/or other parts.

Exactly, 1971 was the last year of the powerful classic American muscle car before being essentially castrated by the Clean Air Act.

Took an awful long time for manufacturers to adapt and start bringing back the power.

Personally, I think the Cadillac Seville with a 5.7 V8 diesel is the worst making only 105hp. :eek:

Exactly, 1971 was the last year of the powerful classic American muscle car before being essentially castrated by the Clean Air Act.

Took an awful long time for manufacturers to adapt and start bringing back the power.

Personally, I think the Cadillac Seville with a 5.7 V8 diesel is the worst making only 105hp. :eek:

Precisely, you hit the nail on the head. Anything about the famed "muscle car wars" was destroyed by the Clean Air Act, which is why from 1970 until the late '80's most muscle cars were only 4-cylinder weak cars with go-faster decals. Not much you can do against history, which is why the Firebird has to be so gutless stock-wise.

And yes, that Cadillac V8 diesel has to be one of the worst ideas in GM history... :yuck:

Last edited:
Precisely, you hit the nail on the head. Anything about the famed "muscle car wars" was destroyed by the Clean Air Act, which is why from 1970 until the late '80's most muscle cars were only 4-cylinder weak cars with go-faster decals. Not much you can against history, which is why the Firebird has to be so gutless stock-wise.

And yes, that Cadillac V8 diesel has to be one of the worst ideas in GM history... :yuck:

Alongside the Aztec ( sorry Walter White :D) and GM's first attempt at a V8 with cylinder deactivation called the V8-6-4, which lasted only a year and some were converted to run Eight cylinders full time by owners.

Back