Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by McClarenDesign, Dec 29, 2013.

1. McClarenDesign

McClarenDesign Premium

On the plus side, this happened today...

[​IMG]

2. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Oh Perry... :lol: What a chap, gotta love that British sense of personality. :tup: He knows what it's like to be a part of a bad operation...

3. McClarenDesign

McClarenDesign Premium

4. turismoslayer

turismoslayer

The show must go on! Stoked for tomorrow!

5. McClarenDesign

McClarenDesign Premium

First of all, let me congratulate Sauber F1 Team on their performance in Australia. Well deserved points, fantastic performance!

After checking my bank balance...

Congratulations ToyGTone! You've bought earned the right to select next week's car!

[​IMG]

... the 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am!

I should warn you now that the transportation of alcohol across state boarders for the purposes of sale is illegal and violators will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

So don't get caught.

6. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Ok, time to search for a CB radio. Can anyone direct me to an used one on eBay? Just wondering. Oh, and a 1980's mustache, while you're at it. It can be Burt Reynolds' own for all I care...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  7. MidFieldMaven

MidFieldMaven

Let's get the deets out of the way (deets is American slang for details)

6.6L
    219 hp / 4,000 rpm
    321 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
    1,640 kg (3,616 lbs)
    415 pp

This car has the worst hp/L that I've ever seen, with just 33 horsepower per liter of displacement.
    It also has an absolutely dismal power to weight ratio of 16.5 pounds per horsepower.
    The torque figure is decent at least.

Despite all this, the car is surprisingly enjoyable. The rear will never step out of line no matter what you do. It turns in beautifully, with no under or oversteer to speak of. I came away very impressed.

Fresh off the showroom floor, the Bandit is capable of thrashing Mid-Field Raceway in less than 1 minute 30 seconds, hitting a maximum speed of 120 mph even. That's Civic Type R (EK) and Supra SZ-R territory.

8. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Well, that's late '70's muscle cars for ya (American slang for "you"); strangled engines in surprisingly decent chassis. You gotta love those brutal emission laws, huh? However, I am very surprised to hear that the Firechicken can hang with a Supra in Midfield, very impressive.

9. MidFieldMaven

MidFieldMaven

I wasn't sure if everyone knew what "deets" meant lol sorry if I offended :(

10. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

No problem, I'm sure that it's not offensive to anyone. I've seen far worst from English speakers. ;)

11. Vic Reign93

Vic Reign93 Premium

I swear someone's reading my mind as I recently recommended the Trans AM for one of @photonrider 's Rabbit hunter challenges. :scared:

This is quite the choice not just for its movie legacy, but also the surprising amount of visual modifications which combined with an engine with a possible max output of 781hp makes it a car you shouldn't count out if someone brings it out in a classic muscle car battle. ;)

Cowboy hats and CB radios are optional, but preferred. :lol:

12. MidFieldMaven

MidFieldMaven

I have one set up for drifting. The paint color is called "Champion Yellow 4" from the Suzuki Swift. Looks awesome with the black bird on the bonnet, Type A aero kit and Custom Wing Type B and Other Part C.

Fully modified as Vic said, it has 781 hp / 4,500 rpm and a ridiculous 955 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm with a minimum weight of 1,313 kg. Max PP is 606.

13. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Jaysus, 955 torques (borrowing a term from a certain man named Jeremy)!? Now that's the American V8 I know, tremendous tire-melting power, and house-pulling levels of torque. I do wonder how well it drifts, I know that old American cars lend themselves pretty well to that kind of job...

14. turismoslayer

turismoslayer

A nearly white hot Firebird! Not to mention the fiery sensations the person in the Porto-potty is experiencing. TMI? image.jpg

15. McClarenDesign

McClarenDesign Premium

[​IMG]
    10-4, good buddy.

16. JackRyanWMU

JackRyanWMU

Bought this one pretty early in my GT6 career, and I can attest it's Sleeper just by how much it can be modified. I've gotten it as far up to the low 500 PP range to fight the Shelby Cobras in some of the Muscle Car races. Looking forward to playing around with it in pure, bone stock form again.

17. Draggon

Draggon

Sleeper all the way. I got as far as the Supercar Festival with it. It has a lot of wheelspin when you get past 550 pp, though I would expect a good tune on the LSD and trans could help it out. It's surprising how well it handles. The crazy IMSA-style aero kits add greatly to the appeal of this!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  18. photonrider

photonrider

O.M.G.
    Burt is back. Younger and more handsome, too.
    Looks like I'm in for a good cold brewski, pure gold and all.

Mac - sorry to have let you down (and myself, too, since I missed the fun of running these beasts stock) for several weeks now. My schedules are whacking my life out of shape. Never start your own business.
    Work 9-5 Mon to Friday, and wallow in your benefit package.

When you put the shackles on your self yourself the key tends to get misplaced.
    Still good to see all the regs in here. :tup:

19. BAP_Shockz

BAP_Shockz

Not at home for now, but I'll test it soon. :D Haven't actually driven it much in the game though, I think I've only driven it once so far?

20. McClarenDesign

McClarenDesign Premium

This could be the 2015 Car of the Year.

We'll see.

21. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Damm, is it that good? We're not even three months into 2015, and it seems we already have a favorite for the COTY award...

22. Vic Reign93

Vic Reign93 Premium

I was actually driving a tuned version last night on sports hard tyres and it was remarkably well behaved desipte almost 600hp and near 700 ft-lb of torque. :drool:

I'm expecting good things from the stock version come raceday. ;)

23. Baron Blitz Red

Baron Blitz Red

Hey people... I know I'm way behind and have no right to ask, but...

We have 2 issues for tomorrow. One is the impending update, second is it will also be St. Patty's Day. Since I am Canadian of German Irish descent, I promised myself to be in no shape for driving, either in the real world or the virtual one. And I can't be the only one either lol. Might this be a good time to postphone COTW til Wednesday night?

Just something to think about...

Cheers

24. Lewis_Hamilton_

Lewis_Hamilton_

So much positivity for this car, and I'm going to come in and rain on the parade by saying I think it is one of the worst beaters in the game.

I already have a few hundred miles with this car, both tuned and untuned and have enjoyed it's handling, looks and optional upgrades thoroughly. However, in a competitive race, tuned or untuned, it's remarkably slow especially on the straights.

It's a freaking muscle car with a 6.6L engine and gets smoked by cars with 1/4 to 1/3 of it's engine size with twice the fuel efficiency. How on Earth do you get such bad performance out of such a big motor? The car isn't even that heavy.

Baron makes a good point about the update too, I think there could be problems tomorrow.

ToyGTone, JBF77, BAP_Shockz and 4 others like this.
  25. MidFieldMaven

MidFieldMaven

Cars within a half second of the F-bird at Laguna Seca on CH tires:

1:53.684 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
    1:53.689 - 411 - Mazda Savanna RX-7 Infiniti III (FC) '90
    1:53.751 - 403 - Acura Integra Type R '01
    1:53.762 - 506 - Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99
    1:53.773 - 398 - Honda Gathers Drider Civic '98
    1:53.836 - 409 - Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type M (R32) '89
    1:53.857 - 405 - Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05
    1:53.859 - 399 - Renault Sport Clio R.S. 2.0 16V '02
    1:53.879 - 404 - Volkswagen New Beetle RSi '00
    1:53.903 - 406 - Audi S3 '02
    1:53.913 - 421 - Volvo S60 T-5 Sport '03
    1:53.945 - 408 - Volkswagen New Beetle Cup Car '00
    1:53.952 - 403 - Renaultsport Clio R.S. '11
    1:53.974 - 464 - Mercedes-Benz SL 600 (R129) '98
    1:54.045 - 415 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
    1:54.047 - 419 - Subaru Legacy B4 3.0R '03
    1:54.096 - 415 - Ford Focus ST '06
    1:54.232 - 453 - Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 '67
    1:54.333 - 378 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
    1:54.397 - 411 - Nissan Silvia K's (S13) '91
    1:54.405 - 406 - Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90

So it's on the heels of the 6.0L V12 Mercedes SL600. That's cool.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cars within a half second of the F-bird at Mid-Field on CS tires (so far)

1:29.592 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
    1:29.774 - Toyota Supra SZ-R '97
    1:29.799 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97
    1:29.908 - Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78
    1:30.397 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R '98

26. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Simple, my dear friend Lewis, it's what I've mentioned before; emission laws that strangled everything that was not a 4-cylinder engine at the time. American car companies stuck to V8 engines like glue (because it was a trademark that many customers loved), but they had to strangle the engines so much it was ridiculous. The Firebird may have only 200-plus hp, but some cars couldn't even get past the 130 mark. And let's not even get started with cases such as late 2-gen Chevrolet Camaros and Mustang IIs... For the slowness of the car, there's no other good cure other than fiddling about with the car's gearbox and/or other parts.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  27. Vic Reign93

Vic Reign93 Premium

Exactly, 1971 was the last year of the powerful classic American muscle car before being essentially castrated by the Clean Air Act.

Took an awful long time for manufacturers to adapt and start bringing back the power.

Personally, I think the Cadillac Seville with a 5.7 V8 diesel is the worst making only 105hp. :eek:

28. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Precisely, you hit the nail on the head. Anything about the famed "muscle car wars" was destroyed by the Clean Air Act, which is why from 1970 until the late '80's most muscle cars were only 4-cylinder weak cars with go-faster decals. Not much you can do against history, which is why the Firebird has to be so gutless stock-wise.

And yes, that Cadillac V8 diesel has to be one of the worst ideas in GM history... :yuck:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  29. Vic Reign93

Vic Reign93 Premium

Alongside the Aztec ( sorry Walter White :D) and GM's first attempt at a V8 with cylinder deactivation called the V8-6-4, which lasted only a year and some were converted to run Eight cylinders full time by owners.

30. turismoslayer

turismoslayer

My family too was Canadian but of Scottish Irish decent up until they travelled southward to Wisconsin probably around 150 years ago. Anyways, :cheers:!

ToyGTone and McClarenDesign like this.