Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

From the time conversion chart, it appears that the update will occur after our races have ended. We will attempt to start at 10:15p, but if not we'll delay until the next day.

If you can make it tomorrow, we will race. Just drink and drive from the comfort of your couch.

I'd also purchase an extra one, just in case there's a tuned race or two as a bonus.

Last edited:
I'm right now trying to find any car to compete with the Trans Am but i couldn't find a car around 1971 - 1980 as all i find is pre 1971....1969...etc as i'm trying to do a lap board of these cars with the Trans am and around 4 - 5 different cars.

I'm right now trying to find any car to compete with the Trans Am but i couldn't find a car around 1971 - 1980 as all i find is pre 1971....1969...etc as i'm trying to do a lap board of these cars with the Trans am and around 4 - 5 different cars.

Between 1971 and 1980 your best bet is the Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR Rally Car '74 or Alpine A110 1600S '72

I hope you've enjoyed what we did last week but now it's time to buckle up once again because it's another Week of Beater or Sleeper week! and this time we're going to test a boat.......

circuito-de-madrid-jpg.85577

circuito-de-madrid_1-jpg.85578

(This is actually my very 2nd and 3rd screenshots of GT6 which was captured on 2nd December of 2013..if anyone is even interested in the first place...)

See what i mean?? :sly:

So Yeah i thought about doing a Lap time test between this and other 6-7 cars of the same cars to see if the Trans Am is any good. All cars are using Sports hard tyres and nothing except ABS 1 (don't ask why kept the abs on).

So far this is the lap time for these cars around the streets of willow springs (I didn't try my hard on doing these lap times):

1. Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69 1:23.304
  2. Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67 1:23.904
  3. Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71 1:24.031
  4. Dodge Charger 400 R/T '70 1:24.852
  5. Shelby GT350 '65 1:26.161
  6. Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70 1:26.767
  7. Chevrolet Corvette C2 '63 1:27.371
  8. Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 '67 1:29:041

Now it's to do the Firebird lap and by seeing the Power and the PP, it's the lowest between all, it's also the second heaviest after this:

33292700_700x700min_1.jpg

(If you know what i mean....)

I'm not surprised if it didn't do anything better than the other cars especially being a '78 model compared to '71 or earlier model's (like other's said, it's 70's Crisis fault). Simply expect to be the worst...... or is it???

The car handles... i dunno how to describe but from time to time it's ether oversteer if you driving it really hard or understeer if you try to turn around a corner sometimes. The car comes with 4 gear changes compared to some other cars i test which's 3 gear's only and some are even just have 2 gear's only. The car isn't really that fast IMO, it feels under powered for me.

Anyway Trans am did it in...... one minute
twenty
six point one

1:26.051!!!

That's means it's around the middle of the list! i'm surprised about that for some reason, it beaten the shelby, it beaten the plymouth, the Corvette C2 and the El Camino, i thought it would be the worst between the all but turned out i'm wrong about it.

So i moved on to do a Seasonal Event race but first i thought about modify it, the car custom parts seems unique, some parts looks good and some other parts looks awful that would ruin the car design. So i had to make it 550 PP to be able to race and not get "his" ass kicked easily by upgrading and tuning the car, fitted a supercharge, flipped the trans, reduced the amount of 🤬 it weights and messed around with it until i made it much better.

5 Laps around the Trial Mountains and i'm against a lot of modern muscle cars, the car started to really handle well, it's much MUCH better, climbing from 12th to 7th in a single lap and to 1st in another lap.
Trial Mountain Circuit_9 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"Here we go!"

Trial Mountain Circuit_8 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"We Are Pontiac Brothers
PONTIAC BROTHAA!!
We are brothers on wheels
slow down Pontiac brothaa
PONITAC BROTHAAAA
Where we are going today pontiac brother?
you pontic PONTAIC BROTHAA!!!
Come on Pontiac brothaa
let's go pontiac Brothaa...."

Trial Mountain Circuit_7 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"Just Simply :drool:"

Trial Mountain Circuit_6 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"Just skiddin' aroun'"

Trial Mountain Circuit_5 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"That interior looks REALLY AWFUL :crazy:!"

Trial Mountain Circuit_4 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"GM Generation's"

I was in the first place all the time until lap 4 where this happened...

Trial Mountain Circuit_3 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"There's smoke coming out of my rear A:censored:"

Trial Mountain Circuit_2 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"and now i've been over taken...:grumpy::mad:🤬"

so i became well 4th and i had to do this...

Trial Mountain Circuit_1 by toygtone21, on Flickr
"Rule #1: when you became an anything other than 1st, try to do what the celica and zonda done before..."

I finished the race as 1st with a bit of help. Got my money and some custom paint to paint stuff.

What do you think about this car?

This is DEFINITELY A BEATER, NO DOUBT about it, it's slow, under powered compared to other muscle cars and annoying to drive sometimes. Last time i drove this on GT6 i didn't remember that it was this slow.

and i will end up this post with these 2 shots:

Eiger Nordwand W Trail _1 by toygtone21, on Flickr
Eiger Nordwand W Trail by toygtone21, on Flickr

A day late and a dollar short. :lol:

Admittedly that's rich coming from me as I haven't reviewed the Pagani Zonda C12S.

So lets address that issue, alongside the Trans Am.:D

To start with, both come from a manufacturer beginning with P, both have big engines with the Zonda packing a 7 litre V12 borrowed from AMG and the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am a 6.6 litre V8 made by Ponitac to standout from the Chevy Camaro of the time.

Now in terms of power, the V8 in the Trans Am looks abit limp wristed at 220hp ( thank you smog equipment :yuck:) which is roughly the same as the 02' Focus RS, but makes a healthy 321 ft-lb of torque.

The Zonda by comparison is a Koenigsegg Regera to the Pontiac with more than double the power at 543hp and 553 ft-lb of torque.

But it's not fair to compare theses two as they were built for entirely different reasons and from different time periods so let's judge them on their own merits.

That brings up an immediate problem, the Zonda is not our usual cup of coffee for COTW as its a supercar designed to stand out.

From a driving perspective, it's a twitchy, tail happy, loud and proud kind of a machine.

It's no beater, but certainly no sleeper as you expect good things from it when you first see it, kinda like how Hype can get oneself's hopes up and end up being disappointed.

The Trans Am on the other hand is like that film that isn't hyped up, but goes on to be a cult classic. :sly:

Despite not being powerful for its engine size, it's a surprisingly well behaved and easy to drive car as which was demonstrated in the first two races as I couldn't pull away from @McClarenDesign as much as I wanted too. :P

In an odd way, it's almost like the GT86/FR-S. :confused:

A good chassis, begging for abit more power.

So in summary, the Zonda is no beater, but it's supercar status makes calling it a sleeper abit of an insult.

The Pontiac is through and through a sleeper, I didn't expect it to handle as good as it did on Comfort Softs.

Zonda - neutral, but recommended. 👍
Trans Am - Sleeper, highly recommended especially if your running from the law. ;)👍

After hearing a lot of people saying it's a good car to drive or Sleeper, it seems that I'm totally wrong about the car. I think I should redo a race with stock one.

EDIT march 19th 2015: I done some random races in stock and it was surprisingly good, i didn't know why the hell i said BEATER in the first place, maybe as i counted the lap times around the willow spring and not the race i did after??

Last edited:
Not a very good handling car, but great looking car.

You're not entirely wrong there, but I still think that it handles quite decently, especially when you compare it to the older muscle cars. Those are too cumbersome to drive, even if they are more powerful than the Firebird. I actually got a 3rd place in the A-spec Classic Muscle Car race in Laguna Seca, which shows this car has potential.

I think the major reason it's relatively better composed and balanced compared to other muscle cars, is because it just doesn't have that much power going out of corners. I would say the engine is torquey, but I get little to no wheelspin coming out of corners, even while holding the throttle down, because the engine power doesn't overcome the chassis. In that regard, it's a good car, not a fast one, of course, but tuning changes that quite easily.

It could become quite the sleeper car too, IF it had at least 70 more horsepower.

I think the major reason it's relatively better composed and balanced compared to other muscle cars, is because it just doesn't have that much power going out of corners. I would say the engine is torquey, but I get little to no wheelspin coming out of corners, even while holding the throttle down, because the engine power doesn't overcome the chassis. In that regard, it's a good car, not a fast one, of course, but tuning changes that quite easily.

It could become quite the sleeper car too, IF it had at least 70 more horsepower.

So basically it's not a car that tries to do more than it can actually achieve, right? Even a quick change of oil and ECU could make this that extra bit more competitive.

So basically it's not a car that tries to do more than it can actually achieve, right? Even a quick change of oil and ECU could make this that extra bit more competitive.

300 horsepower in this car would probably make it decently fast, in my honest opinion. I set up a race around Sierra, and overtaking is pretty hard work because you really have to wring out that power. It was also probably a mistake of mine, since I always shifted up at 5000rpm, yet the limiter hits at 5500. Took me 3 laps to figure that out with my HUD off.

You're not entirely wrong there, but I still think that it handles quite decently, especially when you compare it to the older muscle cars. Those are too cumbersome to drive, even if they are more powerful than the Firebird. I actually got a 3rd place in the A-spec Classic Muscle Car race in Laguna Seca, which shows this car has potential.
Well, yes, i didnt say its the worst handling car ever. But certainly could be better.

300 horsepower in this car would probably make it decently fast, in my honest opinion. I set up a race around Sierra, and overtaking is pretty hard work because you really have to wring out that power. It was also probably a mistake of mine, since I always shifted up at 5000rpm, yet the limiter hits at 5500. Took me 3 laps to figure that out with my HUD off.

Interesting, so you really have to rev the engine if you want the best possible power. Makes sense, since we are dealing with a classic "lazy" American V8 engine here. A strangled one at that.

Well, yes, i didnt say its the worst handling car ever. But certainly could be better.

It could, if it wasn't a muscle car from the mid-to-late 1970's... That's the main problem of the Firebird, the year it was built. If it was younger (i.e. a car from the 2000's), it could so much better because it would not be strangled in any way. But as it is, the Firebird has to live with its limitations.

How did you manage to get the original wheels on the dirt track?? :embarrassed: I tried swapping the tuning sheets but it still keeps the dirt tires
Make sure the setup sheet B has any tires other than dirt or snow. When you get to the track, select sheet B and you will notice that you now have regular tires. Make sense?

Back