Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The Lupo GTI is faster than the Polo by over 2 seconds at Mid-Field.

1:35.288 - 347 - Volkswagen Lupo GTI '01
1:36.669 - 348 - Peugeot 106 Rallye '03
1:37.284 - 342 - Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '00
1:37.612 - 338 - Volkswagen Polo GTI '01
1:37.916 - 341 - Mazda Demio Sport '03

See, told ya. Can't dismiss the power of the hungry wolf cub. Although it is funny that the supposed younger brother is the fast one, compared to its big Polo brother. Welp, guess that says a lot about the poor "sportiness" of the 2001 VW Polo... Also, great to see that 106 Rallye in there, there's another small car that does a lot more than what its small body tells you. 👍

Polo is heavy for some reason while the Lupo isn't. I guess those rear doors weigh a ton :confused:

Agreed about the Peugeot. That 106 Rallye has more charm than all the other Peugeots combined.

The bad gearbox and clumsy power delivery don't help the Polo's case, really. You'd expect a GTI to be sharp and quick (except the Golf IV GTI, that was just a mistake accidentaly branded as a GTI), yet the Polo feels more sluggish than a snail going through a puddle of mud. That doesn't make sense, I think. The extra doors shouldn't be that bothersome for the Polo... :boggled:

Don't forget about the 106 GTI, it's like the Rally, except it's more powerful. I would love to see the Rallye with the GTI's engine, now that would provide quite the fun and games, eh? Small Peugeots are just charming cars, even the newest 108 is a cute little city car (I think so, at least, I know about the iffy reputation of modern Pugs...).

at least it wasn't any of the two million dollar cars that they actually blew up (Zenvo ST1 and Furai)
yeah, I love both of them...
and yeah, it would be nice for Red Bull to win again. It would be nicer for Seb Vettel to break a leg in a way that enabled him to do every task except drive an F1 car, so maybe Kimi could win something... or the Merc's could actually lose.

I think the Demio is a fun little car. Try my tune out.... unlike the 2-J tune I posted in the seasonal forums, this one is all mine.

400pp
154hp
903kg

No oil change, no increased ridgidity, aero special type A

Sports hard tires

Suspension:
102/120
5.24/5.23
3/4
4/5
2/3
0.00/0.00
0.00/0.18
Brakes 3/2

I used the FC trans but didn't tune it, I am still learning

Drivetrain
Twin plate clutch
LSD 6/16/5

Power
Stage 2 tuning
Racing exhaust
Stage 2 turbo
power limiter 95.5%

Body
Weight reduction stage 3
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction
Downforce 14

Tuned for DS3. Comments, criticisms, feedback welcome!

Last edited:
I daresay, that was one of the most fun CotW meets I've had in a long, long time. Good competition, great people, and the bonus round at the end was incredibly fun, even though I got wrecked before I even finished the 1st lap. Thanks @McClarenDesign.

On the subject of the car, it handled well enough, and provided a decent amount of fun. I can't call it a sleeper however, because I haven't expected much of the car, and it just meets my expectations. There's no hidden trope, no trump card that makes this car a cut above the rest. It's just a car, a small Japanese supermini that fulfills it's duties as a mode of transport. It's just.....average. Not Vectra level "oh gods, this car is so boring it actually makes me detest it" boring, just "it's a car, that's it" boring.

That said however, it made for some really good competition. It's "Neutral" to me.

I need to find out where I can drive COTW. Cos I would love the idea of it... also maybe add the tunes beneath the cars on the original post, as there have been several for the LFA and Demio.
Well we race every Tuesday at 10pm CST, if you message @McClarenDesign on PSN, he can help you out and tell you when the lobby's open and such.

I'll get a full write up on the Mazda 2/Demio done later, but it was good nights racing all things considered. :)

Well we race every Tuesday at 10pm CST, if you message @McClarenDesign on PSN, he can help you out and tell you when the lobby's open and such.

Just to add on, we race cars completely stock. That means no tuning at all, so we can see how good the cars are on their own merits. Pretty much the only things you're allowed to do with the car fresh out of the dealership, are oil changes, custom wheels, and paintjobs. That said, if you've got tunes for our CotW picks every week, they are most certainly welcome on this thread.
You can also bring cars of a similar PP level to the CotW picks, just to see how they stack up against the competition.

.......I still need to find a way to tune my Vectra, anyway.

Those tears are delicious. :)

What can I say? I finally found a car that made me drive in anger. :P

That's not to say it wasn't a bad car as it gave us some close and in the case of the bonus race, chaotic racing.

Anyways, on to the review of the car and the night of racing.

My fall from grace and the long road back

It started out as an ordinary night at the weekly COTW meet up, heck the first race at Midfield went off without a hitch.

The car(s) we raced was the '02 Mazda 2/Demio with 116hp from a 1.5 litre 4 cylinder engine going to the front via a 5 speed manual transmission.

It was when we raced at SSR5 is when things started going pear shaped for me.

After coming in 4th at Tokyo in a fair fight, I was determined to fight back up to the podium, but it wasn't to be, I came 5th.

Turned out I broke one of my golden rules, check the regulations.
If I did, I would've noticed that Comfort softs were allowed. :banghead:

It also didn't help the that GT6's censor machine thought it was stoping curse words when it turned out the 'offending' words were apparently, Colleague and pattern. :crazy:

At Monaco, it finally happened, the Red Mist had descended. :mad:

I drove that car to its limit whilst not letting my agro turn against my fellow racers and scored another 3rd place finish with the first one coming from the London race.

At Madrid, I drove like hell to get through traffic and catch @Soyuz 77 who had a good start.

He won the race, but he did say if it was 5 laps the story could've ended differently.

Our final race was a first, a demo derby race, but you had to be smart about who and how you attacked as damage was on heavy.:mischievous:

I took a hit early on and damaged my front left tyre and after taking a short at the back part of the track, got shunted from behind which damaged the back tyres so badly I was crabbing down the straights. :eek:

It was a battle to the flag which ended with me holding off Jack in a crabbing car.

In one night, I went from a win to two non podium finishes to 3 podium finishes and winding back up at the top.

Aside from my misgivings, I do have to give a huge thanks to all who took the fight to me, you all know who you are and you've improved greatly over the time I've raced with you. :cheers:

Of course I'm hoping for normal service to resume next time out, but that's the beauty of COTW, nothing is set in stone. ;)

As for the Mazda, it got me driving out of anger and it provided great racing all night, I can't call it a beater, but nothing truly stood out for me to call it a sleeper.

Verdict: Neutral ( still better than a Vectra:P)

"Better than a Vectra" should be an official award.

I never changed my tyres, I assumed that it came with CS tyres. Oops. I did notice that the past few weeks have seen an increase in competition, and a decrease in Ted Thomas appearances. Related? Probably.

Well you've probably just jinxed us to hell and back now saying that. :lol:

But yes, I second that motion for that to be an award. :P

...At Madrid, I drove like hell to get through traffic and catch @Soyuz 77 who had a good start.

He won the race, but he did say if it was 5 laps the story could've ended differently.
Depressing to learn of the advantage I had and was still not able to hold you off by much. :grumpy:
Although I was technically using CMs as well... On the rear... for better rotation :guilty:

I did notice that the past few weeks have seen an increase in competition, and a decrease in Ted Thomas appearances. Related? Probably.
Ted Thomas also gave me an advantage this week. For two of the races that I won, I DC just before and then started on poll! :D:tup: PS: I still think @McClarenDesign was just kicking people for fun. ;)

Right. The Mazda 2 / Mazda Demio

Well, the first thing you might notice is that its not a very photogenic. As @lilcat89 mentioned, the styling hasn't aged well. But don't go to far with that thought, because many cars from that time period looked worse then, and even more so now; particularity, small hatchbacks. The trend at the time gave us weird combinations of boxiness and big, often round headlamps. But not this little Mazda. All of the lines and different pieces of the car fit nicely. In fact, from some angles, it looks like full blown hot hatch. Taking that into consideration, I've given it good marks for style.

So, apart from the name, what's the difference between the two?
Well, from what I could tell in game, they moved the steering wheel over, and given the 2 one additional horse power. But I chose the Demio, which proved to be equally competitive; and I have a hunch that the transmission gives the Demio a slight edge off the line. (I will be testing this with a drag race, stay tuned for the results)

Going into this weeks races, I had a strange feeling about the Demio, a good feeling. Although I had never driven it before (or the 2) I, probably unlike many drivers, had high expectations. Amazingly, it didn't disappoint! The battle for first in Tokyo was by far the closest race I've ever had. I still lost, but the Demio drove so well that I didn't even care. I certainly wouldn't consider it track ready, but it feels very well balanced even at the limit. For what you think you are getting when you purchase this Mazda, it is definitely a sleeper.

Ok, like i said before, i haven't driven this car since GT5, and i dont expect it to be any different in GT6.

I bought this car last Sunday once the nomination was in, unfortunately i missed the Tuesday Taco Tonight run with all of you.

So HOW on Earth am i going to give a fair rating to this car ??
How can i, and would rate this car without properly testing it ??

Certainly not by taking pictures of it! (But i will, and i will rate this car, well not these two but the Mazda2/Demio)

Syracuse-1903x1070.jpg

Unlike some of you, i refuse to put a "neutral" label. I have to categorize it as either Sleeper or Beater.
Just like we cannot have a nation without a president.

So tonight, i decided to take it for quick run... a few laps to refresh my butt.

I already know it's going to be a fun little car to drive, despite being under-powered stock, but still fun to toss it around the track.

I am looking forward to it...

As i go to my garage to switch from my current car the F40 to this Mazda2, (and i will not be comparing it to the F40, so rest assured), i am pretty convinced already that this would be closer to be a Beater than a Sleeper... (unless tuned, which i am planning to do so once i drive it stock for the purpose of this evaluation.)

Apricot%20Hill%20Raceway-1903x1070.jpg

Further proof that the Mazda2/Demio could not be a sleeper, and as some of you have pointed it out very scientifically (wink wink @SuzukaStar), this is not the best car in its category. So sleepter seems to be further from the question.

Yet i am looking forward to drive this presumably Beater of a car, because i gotta hand it to Mazda: this little car definitely have the Zoom-Zoom in its gene from what i remember in GT5.

Once selected, i decided to take the Mazda2 to the Seasonal Events...

Lets see if we can test it against the rabbits AI...

Stock the Mazda is in the low to mid 300PP.... Great!
There is the new 400PP seasonal @ Grand Valley, so lets do that.
(I dont have high hope to win it, but let's try it).

I go to set up the car:
The car is pretty much stock, i only remove the traction control (otherwise known as the kill-fun).
I hesitate a bit, but decide to leave the stock tires on too.

Start!

Let's see how this goes... 12 cars, i start out last of course...
This is going to be a fun track, i like it... Been driving it for over 15 years (on and off).

Well look, it's reversed!... but no matter.
(I am not used to this configuration and it's a short version too... so this wont be easy, if not hard for me to win this... But i dont give up so easily, i'll try to give my best mo matter.)

Grand Valley East_1-1903x1070.jpg

To start, i am behind a green 200SX (or is it the Silvia, i dont know i just need to pass it), so i gun and track it.

Knowing how little power i have for such a short track and 3 laps only, i try not to lose momentum... went a little wide, but i passed it by the 2nd (or was it 3rd) corner.

Next car: My bigger brother the Mazda 6 dressed in red.
Sorry, but i gotta pass you too...

Let's try to catch up the rest as i go in the tunnel.

To my surprise, i am already 10th by the first corner right out of the tunnel ;)

This is easy and yet, i have 2.5 laps to go, so let's not get too optimistic.

Whos my next victim ? Is it another Mazda ? the 323 ? or is it the Lantis ?? i dont know and i dont care... It's a dark color car, easily forgettable, which it will be once i pass it...

At this point, i think i am going faster than the last half of the field, so i am pretty confident i can at least be 5th by the end of the race... But let's aim for first... because who wants to be 5th ??!! duh...

i am 9th by the time i complete the first lap...

2 more laps to go... quick mental math in my head while pedal to the floor on the long straight... i need to pass 8 cars within 2 laps?? Not as easy with this mini car... but first corner is approaching, let's focus on not crashing and passing as much as possible.

8th! Same corner where i made the first pass (dirty minds refrain yourself).

Next car before the tunnel : a Civic DX ?! (easy !) I will bite this easy!

Sure enough, by the time i am out of the tunnel i am already aiming at some yellow korean sport car wanna-be... i zoom bye bye by it ;) pedal to the metal.

Next car: the R32../?!?? REally My Hero car ? the venerable R32 ?
How could i even think about passing the R32 in my puny little Mazda2 without feeling guilty?
Grand Valley East-1903x1070.jpg

but i must, so i will

(but could i ?
but i must, so i will...)

Being first will surely erase my guilt... so i pass it, making sure not to make it too painful for the R32...

Back on the long straight again... going for the final lap... up ahead is a Mini...
(Starting to get tough now)
but i must ... just like i did with my hero R32... i must pass you no matter what..

I still need to catch up with 4 other car for my last lap...
But the time i reach the 1-2 corner after the straight, the Mini is done on the inside, i pass it easily on the outside.

As i pass the Mini, my mental math got all confused.
I get excited! i smell first place... In my head at this momemt i am starting to think... the podium is within reach...

As i approach the tunnel, I am thinking... I am already 3rd... two more cars to pass...(in reality i still had 3 more cars to go... but i didn't know...!)

going through the tunnel, i see no one in sight...
the first 2 (3 in reality but of course i was too busy to know...) were so far ahead
am i getting too excited too early?

Out from the tunnel... i barely see them ahead...
At this point, i had to face reality... i am ok being 3rd and making podium... let settle for that...

Still trying to catch up, 3rd is ok... i am still doing great...
I finally cross the line, accepting third place.

But why does it show 4th //!?!! 4th how ?? what//?
i... oh see, i finally realized that i miscounted on my last lap LOL
no matter ...

IT was fun! i had fun.
But who was ahead ?

SLK 2nd.
Prelude 3rd.
and some random unknown french coupe Hommell 1st

Fair enough i say to myself: those are much faster car than me...
My Mazda2 is happy being 4th behind those, especially knowing that the AI were all driving very conservatively... if those were real opponents, i probably would have stayed last, easily far behind.

So I am happy settling for 4th...

============================================

Let's go tune this Mazda the way i think it should come in as a minimum:

Grand%20Valley%20East_2-1903x1070.jpg

- lower the springs
- decided to keep the stock transmission... gearing is actually ok... it's the power that needs to be up.
- decided to lighten the car one level.
- but then put back the same amount of weight lost, putting as far back as possible, to enhance the dynamic of the car, making as close to 50/50... I am back to the same original weight: 1080kg >>> but it's split 56/44... better than the 59/41.
- brake is stock
- engine stage 1
- up all other power component by one, keeping the computer stock.
- i am aiming to have 392PP

Why 392PP?
Because in my garage, i have another Mazda with 392PP, which i am very happy with.
Let's see how this Mazda2 with 392PP compares with my 89' Miata ?! LOL

Ronda_3-1903x1070.jpg

Can you do it Mazda2?
Ronda-1903x1070.jpg

So i get back to the same race with the same opponents...

Needless to say, the 2 zoom by everyone easily...
This is going to be an easy win...
I pass everyone as nothing happens... The AI can't comprehend...
I am starting to see this car in new lights...
As i gain up on the R32 again, i had no longer any feeling of guilt... the R32 itself knows it, it knows that i will pass, it let me pass

As i reach the top 3 cars, this time, my math is 2+1=3 !
Going for third, i am passing another car that is making feel guilty for doing so:

the Prelude... my first car in GT4:

Grand%20Valley%20East_3-1903x1070.jpg

But i am not feeling as guilty as i did when passing the R32.

This Mazda2 is sensational, it looks like a tiny little mini-van and yet it drives almost like my miata... and it's eating up Preludes and it's about to bites on SLK and other French oignons...

Last corner of the 2nd round:
Grand%20Valley%20East_4-1903x1070.jpg

I am having fun in my tiny little minivan ;)

I am first as i complete my second lap... i just need to roll my "MAD-MOM-in-a-TINY-LITTLE-MINIVAN" casually through the last lap...

The Hommell is trying hard to catch up..

On the very last corner, it's do or die... I had a small moment of doubt...i can still lose the race if i mess this up... the French car can still beat me if it really want to..
so i give it some room, my hands shakes a little bit... i turn wide...

Giving him lotsa room ...
Grand%20Valley%20East_5-1903x1070.jpg

I hang on and straighten the tiny van up... pedal to the metal...
last stretch before the flag...

The Hommell has no chance anymore:
Grand%20Valley%20East_7-1903x1070.jpg

Sorry but this Mazda2 is a sleeper !
Not because it's fast (it isnt stock), but because it handles hella good for its type.

It's a tiny mini minivan, and i can sleep in it after my victory.
Ronda_2-1903x1070.jpg

VERDICT: SLEEPER!

Ronda_1-1903x1070.jpg

EDIT & PS:
on the topic of Lupo vs Polo... Of course the LUPO (GTI) will be faster than the bigger and heavier (regular) POLO...

And I would have to disagree with most of you, but i think this Mazda2/Demio generation is looking very handsome and cute ! I like it very much.

Not a Beater as i initially thought, but a Sleeper as i always knew it would be... ;)

Last edited:

When we get into cars of this low performance range, I can't help but have to judge it against the Honda Fit, the car literally everyone who has ever played GT6 career mode has owned (even if they immediately sold it afterward, the act of ownership cannot be undone). So to me, in order for a car of lesser performance to be worth owning, it must offer something the Fit cannot (like the Piazza's rear wheel drive) or be a true classic (like the 507). The Mazda 2...is neither of these. In fact the 2 ought to have been named the "Half", it's basically like the Fit except with less power and less appealing styling. This one's a Beater.

That said, Beating the snot out of the car during the Bonus race was one of the most hilarious and amusing events we've ever done. And I think this is where the true appeal of this car lies. I'd have been horrified to see 507s bashed about and dented, but in the 2, no problems with damaging the wheels and running around having to steer left to go in a straight line!

Now if they only had Car Soccer in this game... :D

Last edited:
That said, Beating the snot of the car during the Bonus race was some of the most hilarious and amusing events we've ever done. And I think this is where the true appeal of this car lies. I'd have been horrified to see 507s bashed about and dented, but in the 2, no problems with damaging the wheels and running around having to steer left to go in a straight line!

Now if they only had Car Soccer in this game... :D

Thanks for saving me from the dreaded double post.

It should also be noted that the Mazda2 was capable of punching above it's weight. This week's Seasonal Event, for instance. 52 PP handicap, and the only change being SH tyres.

Back