Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I say we do s special demo derby with the Vectras. No pit stops, last one running wins.

I say we do s special demo derby with the Vectras. No pit stops, last one running wins.

We could... but who'd watch it? I think the last driver awake should be the winner. Even the crashes wouldn't be anything interesting. If anything, we'd probably restyle (i.e. crash) them so much that it'd give GM an idea for another drab car.

Thinking of testing the Demio, stock, at the 400PP Grand Valley seasonal.

EDIT: Got third place in the stock Demio.

I won, but only by .003.

I think the Demio is a fun little car. Try my tune out.... unlike the 2-J tune I posted in the seasonal forums, this one is all mine.

400pp
154hp
903kg

No oil change, no increased ridgidity, aero special type A

Sports hard tires

Suspension:
102/120
5.24/5.23
3/4
4/5
2/3
0.00/0.00
0.00/0.18
Brakes 3/2

I used the FC trans but didn't tune it, I am still learning

Drivetrain
Twin plate clutch
LSD 6/16/5

Power
Stage 2 tuning
Racing exhaust
Stage 2 turbo
power limiter 95.5%

Body
Weight reduction stage 3
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction
Downforce 14

Tuned for DS3. Comments, criticisms, feedback welcome!

Congratulations Draggon! Your tune has secured you the right to select next week's car.

What an honor! Thanks! and mum's the word....

If you know what's good for you, you'll leave my mother out of this...

IMG_8627_bisi_ezerioha_honda_insight_IDRC_copy.jpg

It's the 1999 Honda Insight!

For those of you keeping score at home, once again we've reached 4 straight weeks of Japanese cars. I think it's time for an intervention. Does anyone have a grasp of geography? There are cars from other countries, you know.

A hybrid eh.... Well, look at it this way. It'll still be a competitive meet, AND we get to destroy it if we do another derby.

....I actually want to do a tune for this car first before anything else though.

Aaaand hybrid car... Ergh. Well, at least this has a manual transmission, therefore it is better than a Prius, no questions asked. But that won't help the Insight that much, I'm afraid. Oh well, you reap what you sow, right?

Also:
The first hybrid sold in the USA. It was also the only hybrid to be sold with a manual transmission besides the CR-Z.

EPA fuel mileage is rated at 49 city and 61 highway.

And you can stuff a K20A into it for ultimate sleeper status! http://www.lhtperformance.net/documents/lht_k-sight.html

htup_0806_11_z+honda_insight+front_view.jpg

htup_0806_03_z%2Bhonda_insight%2Bengine.jpg

My test and review will come later.

I don't know who did that, but if I ever got to meet that person, I'd give him a medal. That's how you do it, and that's also what Honda should've done with the CR-Z. The hybrid gimmick is cute and all, but that was also what dragged the CR-Z down as a sports car. It should've dropped the electric thingy and be just a good old naturally-aspirated CRX remix...

Last edited:
I began looking for the slowest, lowliest of un-cool cars for the seasonal we had at Cape Ring recently. The 2CV and Scooby 360 were indeed slow, but had too much funky character to be un-cool. Enter a hybrid. California loves 'em. Home to the Prius capital of the world. That's some serious un-cool, and perfect for my quest. I had not turned a wheel in this thing since GT4 when it was just plain slow. Just slow enough for a seasonal! Imagine my surprise to find out it handles. It really handles! Its got a proper transmission and it can get up to 455pp. Amazing!

I began looking for the slowest, lowliest of un-cool cars for the seasonal we had at Cape Ring recently. The 2CV and Scooby 360 were indeed slow, but had too much funky character to be un-cool. Enter a hybrid. California loves 'em. Home to the Prius capital of the world. That's some serious un-cool, and perfect for my quest. I had not turned a wheel in this thing since GT4 when it was just plain slow. Just slow enough for a seasonal! Imagine my surprise to find out it handles. It really handles! Its got a proper transmission and it can get up to 455pp. Amazing!

I highly recommend joining us on Tuesday nights, a.k.a. #GranTurismoTuesday, a.k.a. Tuesday Night Fights. Especially this week. I've got a few surprises in-store.

Pre-oil change garage specs:

1.0L
80 hp / 6,000 rpm
93 ft-lb / 2,000 rpm
820 kg (1,808 lbs)
332 pp

Max specs:

1.0L
170 hp / 7,000 rpm
167 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
714 kg (1,574 lbs)
455 pp

Max speed at Mid-Field - 100 mph.

Its competition:

1:39.777 - 326 - Mazda Demio GL-X '99
1:40.330 - 333 - Scion xA '03
1:40.861 - 328 - Nissan March 12c 5door '03
1:40.934 - 332 - Honda Insight '99
1:41.306 - 339 - Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95
1:41.565 - 320 - Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe (510) '69
1:41.565 - 317 - Nissan Silvia (CSP311) '65
1:41.876 - 324 - Scion xB '03

The Insight is 3 seconds slower than the previous COTW, but it's the car I'd rather drive. It weighs 260 kg less, and gives up 31 hp but only 10 ft-lbs of torque.

Compared with the Prius '02, the Insight is 2 seconds faster, but the Prius has backseats.

At Mid-Field, anything over 1:40 is very slow in my opinion, so it gets the beater status from me. With 200+ hp from the K-series engine swap, it would become one of the best sleepers of all time 👍

Last edited:
Well, the backseats hardly matter if you're using an Insight for racing purposes. Not that doing such a thing makes sense when you're talking about a Insight, mind you, but it still works better than a Prius. I'd still rather buy a good-old fashioned CRX (or a Del Sol, even), but the Insight doesn't sound half bad for a hybrid.

Bought this car, just like I said I would, and the first drive was interesting. Maybe because I usually don't drive cars this slow. Also managed to get a couple of lap times:

Autumn Ring Mini: 0.50.781
London: 1.13.798
Silverstone Stowe Circuit: 1.11.462

I'm calling an audible this time around. If I -have- to buy an Insight, I'm going with the one with the premium interior. I'll be bringing the similar PP'ed second-gen Insight to the races this week. Will it's greater power leave it's ancestor in the dust? Will the smallness and lightness of the older car prevail? .......Will anyone really care?

"I feel my will to live dropping just looking at it...."

I'm calling an audible this time around. If I -have- to buy an Insight, I'm going with the one with the premium interior. I'll be bringing the similar PP'ed second-gen Insight to the races this week. Will it's greater power leave it's ancestor in the dust? Will the smallness and lightness of the older car prevail? .......Will anyone really care?

That should be interesting.
Grand Valley East, sports hard tires

Insight LS '09, oil change and power reduction to 332pp
1:29.934

Insight 99 right out of the box 332pp, and none of that CV trans garbage
1:29.576

New s'cool has straight line speed advantage, but old s'cool takes the turns a whole lot better!

It doesn't look so bad. :D I actually think it looks quite sharp. Bought it in GT5 to take on the GT Rally, and it did the trick quite well.

339651_3075662541393_2103478574_o.jpg

322070_3075660981354_1365754065_o.jpg

If last week proved anything, the new Insight will have the acceleration advantage due to its CVT transmission (even when de-tuned).

The old Insight I've had for quite awhile is pretty quick for only 170hp fully tuned, I remember hitting over 160mph with the right gearing.

It'll be interesting to how it holds up in the world of the COTW regulars. :P

First impressions of this car.....

.....It's actually really good. I'm especially impressed with the fact that I can chuck it around corners so easily. It has some body roll, but there's no understeer at all. It could have something to do with the lack of power, or the extremely skinny tires, but this car is massive fun around tight and technical tracks like Tsukuba. I don't think I've had this much fun in a small car since the 500 Abarth.

It got me wondering, since the Insight was meant to compete against the Prius, in the sense that they're both hybrids, how fast would the Prius be? I took both of the cars for a flying lap around the long and technical Twin Ring Motegi circuit, to see how they stack up. I'm not a dedicated test driver like @SuzukaStar, so this is probably one of the only comparisons I'll ever do.

Let's check out their specs.

Honda Insight '99
338PP
995cc ECA1 3-cylinder with 144V 10kW ULEV
84HP/6000rpm
97.9 ft-lb/2000rpm
820kg
9.76kg/HP
FF/NA

Toyota PRIUS G (J) '02
291PP
1456cc 1NZ-FXE 4-cylinder with Hybrid Synergy Drive
78HP/5000rpm
88.8 ft-lb/4000rpm
1220kg
15.64kg/HP
FF/NA

Both cars were completely stock except for Improved Body Rigidity, and an oil change. Both cars were also running on CS tires with TCS off and ABS set to 1. As you can see, the Prius is incredibly outclassed in power, torque, and weight despite having a larger engine. But, a lower PP sometimes doesn't mean a slower car. So how fast were they around Motegi? Both cars were given 1 practice lap and 1 flying lap.

Honda Insight '99: 2:44.781
Toyota PRIUS G (J) '02: 2:50.383

I honestly didn't expect anything special. This is just a comparison between 2 hybrids. It is worth noting that while the Insight comes with a 5-speed, the Prius was stuck with an automatic transmission with only 1 gear. Full review of the Insight to come soon, but I give it the "Sleeper" rating right now.

The newer Insight has a much stronger engine, thanks to an extra 300 cc's of displacement, helping it to make an incredible 30 ft-lbs of torque more than the old car, at only 1,000 rpm (versus 2,000 rpm.)

However, the new car weighs 380 kg (838 lbs) more than the old 2-seater.

Despite the major weight increase, at Mid-Field, the new car was faster by 1.5 seconds.

First impressions of this car.....

.....It's actually really good. I'm especially impressed with the fact that I can chuck it around corners so easily. It has some body roll, but there's no understeer at all. It could have something to do with the lack of power, or the extremely skinny tires, but this car is massive fun around tight and technical tracks like Tsukuba. I don't think I've had this much fun in a small car since the 500 Abarth.

It got me wondering, since the Insight was meant to compete against the Prius, in the sense that they're both hybrids, how fast would the Prius be? I took both of the cars for a flying lap around the long and technical Twin Ring Motegi circuit, to see how they stack up. I'm not a dedicated test driver like @SuzukaStar, so this is probably one of the only comparisons I'll ever do.

Let's check out their specs.

Honda Insight '99
338PP
995cc ECA1 3-cylinder with 144V 10kW ULEV
84HP/6000rpm
97.9 ft-lb/2000rpm
820kg
9.76kg/HP
FF/NA

Toyota PRIUS G (J) '02
291PP
1456cc 1NZ-FXE 4-cylinder with Hybrid Synergy Drive
78HP/5000rpm
88.8 ft-lb/4000rpm
1220kg
15.64kg/HP
FF/NA

Both cars were completely stock except for Improved Body Rigidity, and an oil change. Both cars were also running on CS tires with TCS off and ABS set to 1. As you can see, the Prius is incredibly outclassed in power, torque, and weight despite having a larger engine. But, a lower PP sometimes doesn't mean a slower car. So how fast were they around Motegi? Both cars were given 1 practice lap and 1 flying lap.

Honda Insight '99: 2:44.781
Toyota PRIUS G (J) '02: 2:50.383

I honestly didn't expect anything special. This is just a comparison between 2 hybrids. It is worth noting that while the Insight comes with a 5-speed, the Prius was stuck with an automatic transmission with only 1 gear. Full review of the Insight to come soon, but I give it the "Sleeper" rating right now.
Well, if you are comparing stock cars, it is nearly guranteed that one will curb stomp the other.

Back